RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Parker finished with USA Basketball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenHW

PostPosted: 05/01/18 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boom*NNEKA*nneka wrote:
Yes, I am a homer, but I am completely with Candace. It's not about her not making the team, which, by the way I think she should have. It's about her being involved in marketing/promotional activities, being led to believe that she would be on the team, and then cutting here.

That being said, everything happens for a reason, and that slight coupled with the death of Coach Summitt likely played a big role in her getting her ring in 2016. Now, let's do it again!

Yes, 2016 was very much a bittersweet year for Candace Parker. On the positive side, she finally won a WNBA Championship after all these years. But on the negative side, her marriage was starting to fall apart, then she was left off the USA National Team, then her beloved coach Pat Summitt died. And, if I remember correctly, her grandmother was found missing for a while, before she was finally found at an Applebee's diner.

PostPosted: 05/01/18 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well it is in the neighborhood.

Genero36

PostPosted: 05/18/18 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Parker was also one of the first to float between all five positions before doing so was en vogue. “She didn’t want to be put into one box,” says Holly Warlick, Tennessee’s head coach.

What she brought was new, thrilling, alarming. “Some coaches weren’t open to bigs being that way,” says Dawn Staley, USA’s coach for the 2020 Games in Tokyo if the team qualifies. “She was one that broke some traditional rules in American basketball.”

Staley isn’t the only one to recognize Parker’s groundbreaking style of play.

“She’s been doing this so good for so long, people kind of underestimate her,” says Seimone Augustus of the rival Minnesota Lynx. “They don’t look at what she’s doing as amazing. We may not see another player like this at her position for another 10 or 20 years.”

“I think she really is slept on,” Augustus says. “It looks so effortless, and people are like, ‘Oh, well, that’s what Candace do.’”

Parker was notoriously left off USA’s 2016 Olympic Team, which featured younger players like Elena Delle Donne and Breanna Stewart. “They told me I wasn’t a top player at my position,” Parker says. Last March, it was unclear if the snub would affect her plans for 2020 (“I don’t know,” she told reporters). But now she reveals that she’ll never play for USA again. “I felt disrespected,” she says. She says it’s no secret she isn’t best friends with former USA coach Geno Auriemma (he’s UConn; she’s Tennessee). “In a sense, I’ve always been different.” (Auriemma, through UConn sports media, declined a request for an interview).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2776142-put-some-respect-on-candace-parkers-name?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

PostPosted: 05/18/18 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't particularly like or dislike Parker but leaving her off the Olympic team was wrong. Just plain wrong. I don't know anything about Callen, but after that I totally lost respect for her. Parker is still top 5 in the world and if you really don't like her, call her top 10, but I would have a hard time finding 5 better than her and that includes half the last Olympic team. Preposterous. It pisses me off all over again just thinking about it.

- Amanda Gorman
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/18/18 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I don't particularly like or dislike Parker but leaving her off the Olympic team was wrong. Just plain wrong. I don't know anything about Callen, but after that I totally lost respect for her. Parker is still top 5 in the world and if you really don't like her, call her top 10, but I would have a hard time finding 5 better than her and that includes half the last Olympic team. Preposterous. It pisses me off all over again just thinking about it.

Exactly right.

PostPosted: 05/18/18 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I think it's only preposterous if we feel that Team USA is a pure meritocracy--if it's just take the best two or three players at each position and call it a day.

But, of course, it isn't. It is about putting together a team to win the Gold medal. In this case it is clear the coach did not like Parker and did not want her on his team. That is, and should be, the coach's prerogative. If Team USA thinks that the coach is making bad choices, they can replace him or her.

PostPosted: 05/18/18 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I think it's only preposterous if we feel that Team USA is a pure meritocracy--if it's just take the best two or three players at each position and call it a day.

But, of course, it isn't. It is about putting together a team to win the Gold medal. In this case it is clear the coach did not like Parker and did not want her on his team. That is, and should be, the coach's prerogative. If Team USA thinks that the coach is making bad choices, they can replace him or her.

This is fantasy and completely ignores all the ugly politics in how coaches are hired (for the U.S. Olympic Committee and 1000 other places) and how they keep or don't keep their jobs.

It is surely correct that Team USA isn't a "pure meritocracy." Not in our often corrupt and jaded sports culture. But it should be. And Parker should have been on the team.

PostPosted: 05/18/18 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yeah, for what it's worth, that's how we got Swin Cash and Asjha Jones on the Olympic team...
I do think you're right if it were a bubble player or a player who is egregiously a bad team player. But she wasn't either, and had in fact played with most of the team previously without a problem. They're professionals, including the coaches, so they should be able to put aside personal preferences and work together. The players do this all the time. You don't think that everybody on every team is buddy, buddy with everyone else on the team do you? Or that Cheryl would waive Maya because she just didn't happen to like her do you? Ditto for the national team. You put the best players on the floor unless there are truly compelling reasons not to do so. The fact that she chose UTenn instead of UConn is not a legitimate reason.

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/18/18 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How come Catchings was on the team Shocked

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/18/18 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The fact that she chose UTenn instead of UConn is not a legitimate reason.

I think it has gone well beyond that by now.

As for the Maya/Reeve hypothetical? If Reeve was confident that she could win repeated championships with whomever the replacement for Maya were, and if there were bad blood between the two, I would imagine Maya would be traded. This happens all the time in sports. And if the coach was wrong and the championships didn't come, the coach gets fired.

Alternatively, sometimes it is the coach rather than the player that is let go, if the team feels that the player is harder to replace than the coach.

Honestly, if you were a coach and there was a player who you didn't trust to listen to you and do whatever you ask without complaint and you knew 100% that the results would be the same whether that player were on the team or not, would you have that player on your team?

This isn't to say that Geno isn't largely responsible for the bad blood, just that since Team USA membership is not based upon merit of talent, but rather assembled by a coach (and theoretically the committe) based on who they want on the team, any one person being left off for any reason is hardly preposterous. I mean, they won the Gold and it wasn't even close.

Now I do agree that having her do promotions in the lead up to the team announcement was beyond shitty and I don't blame Parker at all for being salty as hell. I would have told them to shove it as well, and had a monster chip on my shoulder going forward.

PostPosted: 05/18/18 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Exactly right.

+2

PostPosted: 05/18/18 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Exactly right.

+2

I don't particularly care for her but right is right and wrong is wrong. I can understand her being pissed off and thinking or maybe knowing that Geno didn't want her on the team. Dawn spoke very highly of her and I believe that she wanted Parker on the next Olympic team but Parker declined. Yes Dawn was the assistant coach on that team but Geno was the coach. It is Parker's right to be done with the team if that is what she wants. She was ignored for the last Olympic team so it is her choice to play or not play on the next team.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 05/18/18 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow not only do they cut from the team but asked her to cover for their decision and telling her that she not the best at her postion plus the fact they had her do promo for team USA I dont blame her for not wanting to playing for USA again.

jap

PostPosted: 05/19/18 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Quote:
Parker was also one of the first to float between all five positions before doing so was en vogue. “She didn’t want to be put into one box,” says Holly Warlick, Tennessee’s head coach.

What she brought was new, thrilling, alarming. “Some coaches weren’t open to bigs being that way,” says Dawn Staley, USA’s coach for the 2020 Games in Tokyo if the team qualifies. “She was one that broke some traditional rules in American basketball.”

Staley isn’t the only one to recognize Parker’s groundbreaking style of play.

“She’s been doing this so good for so long, people kind of underestimate her,” says Seimone Augustus of the rival Minnesota Lynx. “They don’t look at what she’s doing as amazing. We may not see another player like this at her position for another 10 or 20 years.”

“I think she really is slept on,” Augustus says. “It looks so effortless, and people are like, ‘Oh, well, that’s what Candace do.’”

Parker was notoriously left off USA’s 2016 Olympic Team, which featured younger players like Elena Delle Donne and Breanna Stewart. “They told me I wasn’t a top player at my position,” Parker says. Last March, it was unclear if the snub would affect her plans for 2020 (“I don’t know,” she told reporters). But now she reveals that she’ll never play for USA again. “I felt disrespected,” she says. She says it’s no secret she isn’t best friends with former USA coach Geno Auriemma (he’s UConn; she’s Tennessee). “In a sense, I’ve always been different.” (Auriemma, through UConn sports media, declined a request for an interview).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2776142-put-some-respect-on-candace-parkers-name?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Candace's all around versatility was due to her first coach, her dad, who insisted in having her learn every position on the court very well. It usually makes her a tremendous match up nightmare.

PostPosted: 05/19/18 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not to mention Parker had grown a lot as a winner between 2012 and the 2016 Olympics. In my opinion, in 2016 she sacrificed quite a bit to help Nneka (and ultimately the team) be successful by being willing to play a higher percentage of her game on the perimeter. She sacrificed some scoring and higher percentage shots of her own so Nneka could get them. To me, that deserves a lot of credit. It helped them win a title.

Whatever the reasons for leaving her off the team, it's hard to overlook her growth in relation to the team she was on and her overall sacrifice. It's the kind of trait I'd want on my team if I was the one making the decisions. Especially when she transcended some of the personal pain she went through that year.

PostPosted: 05/19/18 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
In my opinion, in 2016 she sacrificed quite a bit to help Nneka (and ultimately the team) be successful by being willing to play a higher percentage of her game on the perimeter. She sacrificed some scoring and higher percentage shots of her own so Nneka could get them. To me, that deserves a lot of credit. It helped them win a title.

Huh? Wasn’t 2016 the first year they took Parker away from the perimeter and returned her to the post and put Lavender on the bench, aka going to a smaller lineup?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: