RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/10/18 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
BTW, the Lakers were doing that nearly 30 years ago with players like Magic, Worthy, Cooper and Greene. Throw some 6-6 to 6-9 versatile athletes out there, let them play all over the court, and just win. They had Kareem part of that time, but not at the end of that run when Mychal Thompson, Byron Scott and others rounded out the roster.

More recently, the Phoenix Suns did it under D'Anotni, using Kurt Thomas and Tim Thomas at center, when both could step out to hit the outside shot...and pairing them with Nash, Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion, Raja Bell, and a number of other players.

I saw the following right after I made my above post:

Quote:
Cleveland’s most used lineup in the playoff series against the Pacers and Raptors was George Hill, J.R. Smith, Kyle Korver, LeBron James and Kevin Love. Those five men were on the court together for a collective 110 minutes. During the regular season, those five players were on the court together for zero minutes. This could be one indication of how the barely-50 win regular season Cavs have turned into an unstoppable juggernaut, mainly because they Ship of Theseus’d this one.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/these-arent-your-regular-season-cavs/?ex_cid=BesideThePoints

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/11/18 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I found IT.

THE GAME!

Between the 2019 #1 player in Canada vs. the 2019 #1 player in the USA.

Laeticia Amihere (@TheBlackQueen) (13 white) vs. Samantha Brunelle (@TheWhiteControversy) (9 black) . . .

. . . in the first annual Across Border Global Games, which is billed as the McDonald's/Jordan tournament of Canada, in May 2017.

Now before you press the play button and waste an hour and 17 minutes of your life, as I just did, especially if you are Geno Auriemma, I strongly suggest you watch some paint dry instead. I've been fooled by all-star games before and I don't claim to be making any predictions whatsoever, but I will give my late night frustrated feelings analysis, herewith:

If Brunelle and Amihere are the best 2019 players in the US and Canada, then North America may have had better players in 1896. Brunelle is sort of slow and low of foot, and aspires to be a poor man's Kyla Irwin. Amihere is much more athletic and active but has a Big Mental Problem: she thinks she's a guard. Her two signature plays are (1) dribbling in traffic and turning over the ball and (2) hanging out on the arc on offense and defense.

All I recall Brunelle doing is hitting one three and a few free throws. From Amihere I saw no sign of post play footwork except one sort of baby hook, and almost no sign of an outside shot but I'm not concluding she doesn't have one. In between her fumbly aggression, Amihere did hit about eight layups and did show the most raw basketball potential on the floor -- but she seems like a physical and mental project.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lL8HySaXMpU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
tfan

PostPosted: 05/11/18 2:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Amihere is much more athletic and active but has a Big Mental Problem: she thinks she's a guard. Her two signature plays are (1) dribbling in traffic and turning over the ball and (2) hanging out on the arc on offense and defense.

At 3:05 the tall long-armed BlackQueen gets the ball just inside halfcourt, with the shorter WhiteBaronness defending her and standing at the 3 point line. The BlackQueen proceeds to drive in for a layup, looking like a guard in the process. If she doesn't want to hang and bang in the paint, I wouldn't force her to. Looks athletic enough to play small forward, or at the very least "stretch 4".

ucbart

PostPosted: 05/11/18 6:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back to regularly scheduled programming.

The match-ups and game times of the 2018 Paradise Jam have been released:

https://www.2017paradisejam.com/bracket

Has anyone ever been to this? I want to go really bad.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/11/18 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Note that the Golden State Warriors have reverted to a lineup without a center ... and that the trend in the game is to smaller, more versatile players.

Is that just a men's trend? The last two WNBA finals have been dominated by post play and the Lynx sought to extend their run of titles by acquiring Sylvia Fowles, the best center in the world.

It's easier to do that when you have a 6'10 small forward who can bring the ball up the court and shoot from 30 feet, or play at the rim, like Golden State does.

And it is largely a men's trend because it's largely in the men's game where you have players the size of centers who have the athleticism, strength, quickness, skill and versatility to play at the other four positions.

When you have players like Magic Johnson and LeBron James and Ben Simmons and Kevin Durant playing all over the floor, it makes for a different type of game. And there just aren't a lot of 6'4" guards in the women's game to create that type of versatility.

If you could come up with a WNBA roster with everyone from 6'2" to 6'4" and the ball skills of a wing, you could win a lot of ball games. You just don't find enough skilled, athletic tall players in the women's game to make that work.

BTW, the Lakers were doing that nearly 30 years ago with players like Magic, Worthy, Cooper and Greene. Throw some 6-6 to 6-9 versatile athletes out there, let them play all over the court, and just win. They had Kareem part of that time, but not at the end of that run when Mychal Thompson, Byron Scott and others rounded out the roster.

Of course the Lakers stopped winning championships when Kareem retired

Some of this is just differences between boys and girls. Girls develop physically earlier. You hear all the time about guys growing six inches in high school. With girls it's always about how they were 6'4 when they were 13. The guys develop perimeter skills then grow to post size while the big girls get planted in the paint because they tower over everybody at an early age. Also, post skills are harder to self teach. When guys play pickup they're not doing a lot of posting up. Women get a lot more coaching before reaching the pros these days, and are thus able to learn more of the intricacies of playing center. Even so, it often takes several years after college for post players to reach full flower. Players like Fowles and Griner didn't start looking dominant on both ends until they'd been in the W for years. Even Lisa Leslie didn't win her first MVP award until she was 29 years old.

PostPosted: 05/12/18 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ArtBest23"][quote="acsuc99"][quote="bballjunkie"][quote="GlennMacGrady"]"For those wondering when former A&M forward Anriel Howard will announce her grad transfer destination, source indicated to me it won't be until Thursday at the very earliest #Gamecocks remain in contention alongside MSU, [b]UConn[/b], FSU"

[url]https://twitter.com/GregHadley9/status/993630441042272258[/url]

If Howard actually (and factually) considers UConn to be "in contention", wouldn't that mean she did get an offer?[/quote]

Nope she didn’t. I will DM you.[/quote]

Well I for one am relieved that we didn't offer a player who at this late hour would have been EXACTLY what we needed to make up for Z leaving and which would solve one of the biggest issues that led to our downfall- rebounding. Brilliant move. Let's play Kyla Irwin down low next year!

Praise Jesus.[/quote]

The next time bballjunkie admits a player who told Geno to take a hike actually had a UConn offer and turned it down will be the first.

She thinks it's never happened since the dawn of time.[/quote]

Prove it!

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/14/18 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re: UConn WCB going forward...I have seen the light, and thy name is Christyn Williams.

Fear not 99, the end ain't nigh.

PostPosted: 05/14/18 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Re: UConn WCB going forward...I have seen the light, and thy name is Christyn Williams.

CTH, I am sure Christyn will be dynamite!

But I remain FURIOUS with Auriemma. I will never forgive that man for what he did this year. Every time I think I've moved on I just get more and more irked over what he did especially because I warned about it for months. Everything I said came true. And none of it needed to happen.

Between his brilliant 6 man rotation which directly led to his teams demise due to foul trouble and fatigue, treatment of Walker, not getting the team motivated from the MSU loss, his delusional shilling for all things Samuelson from POY awards to her value to the team, classless trashing of Cincinnati for firing Elliot, playing the victim THIS IS THE WORLD WE CREATED BS to shield himself from criticism this year, the raining on Brunelle's announcement by leaking to the Courant, his we are too good to offer Anriel Howard, etc I am FIRED up like never before. He basically handed a championship away and look who won it. GROSS!

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/15/18 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the same time, will you praise Auriemma for building a modern dynasty?

PostPosted: 05/15/18 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paging Dr Phil. Anyone have a spare straight jacket?

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 05/18/18 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

But I remain FURIOUS with Auriemma. I will never forgive that man for what he did this year. Every time I think I've moved on I just get more and more irked over what he did especially because I warned about it for months. Everything I said came true. And none of it needed to happen.

Between his brilliant 6 man rotation which directly led to his teams demise due to foul trouble and fatigue, treatment of Walker, not getting the team motivated from the MSU loss, his delusional shilling for all things Samuelson from POY awards to her value to the team, classless trashing of Cincinnati for firing Elliot, playing the victim THIS IS THE WORLD WE CREATED BS to shield himself from criticism this year, the raining on Brunelle's announcement by leaking to the Courant, his we are too good to offer Anriel Howard, etc I am FIRED up like never before. He basically handed a championship away and look who won it. GROSS!

Not his best season, imo.

On the other hand, he had leaderless senior leaders, imo, and only one player, who was less than 100% essentially all season, who could take you off the dribble.

Still, 3 losses, all by 2 pts, in OT, over the last 5 seasons- hard to complain much. Wink

PostPosted: 05/19/18 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

On the other hand, he had leaderless senior leaders, imo, and only one player, who was less than 100% essentially all season, who could take you off the dribble.

Still, 3 losses, all by 2 pts, in OT, over the last 5 seasons- hard to complain much. Wink

Not for acsuc99 ...

If only Geno listened to him/her, they would have been even better.

PostPosted: 05/19/18 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Not for acsuc99 ...

If only Geno listened to him/her, they would have been even better.

You don't think it's reasonable argumentation that UConn would have beaten ND and ultimately won the NC if (a) Megan Walker had been better developed and utilized, (b) Azura Stevens had started and played more in the third quarter of the ND game, and/or (c) if those two players had been more available to sub for the foul-crippled Samuelson in the 4th quarter and OT of the ND game?

I think all three arguments, which may -- yes -- reflect on Auriemma's developmental and tactical game coaching, are analytically reasonable.
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/19/18 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree ... all of those are somewhat valid points, looked at from the outside.

But Auriemma's substitution patterns and use of younger players has been relatively consistent through his time, and enormously successful. Why would one expect him to change in the Final Four?

And, as I mention too much, unless you're at practice every day, you can't understand why coaches make the substitutions they do (or don't). For some coaches, you might question more; with Auriemma, you question less.

Does this mean he's perfect? Of course not, and as you point out, he might have done things differently and won the last game. But if he'd done those things differently all along, they might not have been in that game.

PostPosted: 05/21/18 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Funny though that the 2 players who gave up the winning shots were Nurse and Collier - hand down man down Laughing

Last edited by Nixtreefan on 05/21/18 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 05/21/18 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Funny though that the 2 players who gave up the winning shots were Nurse and Collier - had down man down Laughing

Translation to English, please.

PostPosted: 05/21/18 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mark Jackson says "Hand down, man down" when a defender doesn't get a hand up and defend.

PostPosted: 05/22/18 4:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

collier this year, williams last year - but i don't think either player had their hand down.... definitely williams did not.

so theres that and nurse is irrelevant in either case.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/22/18 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both plays went in undefended, and both were late with their hands down. Had she been guarded, which would have made sense as every one in the gym knew where the ball was going, the game would have been over in regulation. Watch the tape.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 05/23/18 4:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NO

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 05/23/18 4:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NO

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/23/18 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YES

CBiebel

PostPosted: 05/25/18 6:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

You don't think it's reasonable argumentation that UConn would have beaten ND and ultimately won the NC if (a) Megan Walker had been better developed and utilized, (b) Azura Stevens had started and played more in the third quarter of the ND game, and/or (c) if those two players had been more available to sub for the foul-crippled Samuelson in the 4th quarter and OT of the ND game?

I think all three arguments, which may -- yes -- reflect on Auriemma's developmental and tactical game coaching, are analytically reasonable.

I think you'd need to wonder why B was the case. Over the coarse of the year, she averaged 20 minutes per game. Maybe something was limiting her minutes more than Auriemma. Was there some injury or conditioning issue? She played more than 20 minutes in the first few games of the season, but once KLS came back, she rarely had more than 20 minutes in a given game.

Also, you mention the 3rd quarter, but forget that ND, for good reason, usually had poor 2nd quarters and great 3rd quarters. Basically, in the 2nd quarter ND would usually play "tight" to avoid foul trouble before the half. However, right after the half, ND would often pore it on harder on defense since that foul trouble wasn't as much of a concern and play a lot tougher. This resulted in ND often coming from behind to win games.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/25/18 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Stevens didn't start because of pecking order (or seniority) and lack of need. She was a transfer. Auriemma was not going to bench any of his recruited-you-out-of-high-school first round WNBA picks for a transfer WNBA first round pick when he could go undefeated in the regular season without doing so.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 05/25/18 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Players start and get playing time according to how they practice and if they show the understanding of UCONN’s offense and defense. Stevens clearly struggled on the defensive end, could not pick up UCONN’s man to man and switching, which is why they went to zone when she was in the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 10 of 18

Jump to: