RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/18/18 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Did you really post that Russell couldn’t defend Stevens well on the heels of my post where I said Coleman couldn’t defend Stevens well? Wouldn’t make sense for Russell to defend someone as mobile as Stevens. Russell was on Lewis whenever Lewis was on the court. I know Coleman was defending Stevens on at least a couple plays (one after Stevens blocked Coleman’s shot). I think defending Stevens was basically a team effort that the Liberty didn’t accomplish very well. Let’s take a look at the Stevens highlights from that game.

The world doesn't revolve around you. I was still typing when your post went up so I didn't see it. My post also states that I didn't see the game and that I was speculating.

Stevens is mobile for her size, but let's not act like she's some kind of gazelle. Nor is she particularly fluid in her movement. It's not impossible for another post player to guard her. One of the reasons you want a very tall player is so that she can match-up against the other team's very tall players. I find it hard to believe that when there are two 6-6 rookies on the floor at the same time, playing in a meaningless game, that a coach wouldn't test them against each other. Maybe that's what happened, but it sure looks like a missed opportunity to me. And by the way, it's not doing Russell any favors by suggesting she racked up -15 matching up against Lewis rather than Stevens.

PostPosted: 05/18/18 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
Did you really post that Russell couldn’t defend Stevens well on the heels of my post where I said Coleman couldn’t defend Stevens well? Wouldn’t make sense for Russell to defend someone as mobile as Stevens. Russell was on Lewis whenever Lewis was on the court. I know Coleman was defending Stevens on at least a couple plays (one after Stevens blocked Coleman’s shot). I think defending Stevens was basically a team effort that the Liberty didn’t accomplish very well. Let’s take a look at the Stevens highlights from that game.

The world doesn't revolve around you. I was still typing when your post went up so I didn't see it. My post also states that I didn't see the game and that I was speculating.

Stevens is mobile for her size, but let's not act like she's some kind of gazelle. Nor is she particularly fluid in her movement. It's not impossible for another post player to guard her. One of the reasons you want a very tall player is so that she can match-up against the other team's very tall players. I find it hard to believe that when there are two 6-6 rookies on the floor at the same time, playing in a meaningless game, that a coach wouldn't test them against each other. Maybe that's what happened, but it sure looks like a missed opportunity to me. And by the way, it's not doing Russell any favors by suggesting she racked up -15 matching up against Lewis rather than Stevens.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 05/18/18 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
During training camp last season, there was discussion about the Liberty playing more of a run and gun style. Maybe that was Katie's goal, but it got scrapped by Laimbeer when things didn't develop quickly enough. Now that Smith is the boss, perhaps she's bringing it back. If not run and gun, the offense will at least be more movey-groovy. Either approach requires greater mobility, better passing skill, and more prolific outside shooting than they've displayed in the past. These attributes are most commonly associated with small line-ups, which may explain the roster composition.

I was very happy when Mercedes Russell fell into the Liberty's lap. However, even though preseason performances are always suspect, you still need to make a good impression if you're a bubble player. We couldn't see the games of course, but against Dallas, the numbers suggest that Russell didn't defend well against Stevens. Azura shot 8-11 to finish with 19 points. Meanwhile, Mercedes ended up tying Shay Murphy for a team worst plus/minus of -15 for the game. Then against LA, she managed only 2 points on 1-5 shooting against a weak post rotation of Kaylee Jensen, Taya Reimer, Kathryn Westbeld, and rusty Mistee Bass returning from pregnancy. This is significant because offense is supposed to be Russell's strength. It was her chance to shine, but Mercedes couldn't make it happen. One unimpressive outing on defense, and one unimpressive showing on offense. Russell needed to offset these performances by looking great in practice, but apparently she didn't do enough.

Russell isn't mobile, period. If a running game is Katie's goal, Russell isn't at all suited to that game plan, and no other explanation is even necessary. However, I can also believe that Russell's habitual nonchalant style of play would leave that coach unimpressed.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/18/18 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
During training camp last season, there was discussion about the Liberty playing more of a run and gun style. Maybe that was Katie's goal, but it got scrapped by Laimbeer when things didn't develop quickly enough. Now that Smith is the boss, perhaps she's bringing it back. If not run and gun, the offense will at least be more movey-groovy. Either approach requires greater mobility, better passing skill, and more prolific outside shooting than they've displayed in the past. These attributes are most commonly associated with small line-ups, which may explain the roster composition.

I was very happy when Mercedes Russell fell into the Liberty's lap. However, even though preseason performances are always suspect, you still need to make a good impression if you're a bubble player. We couldn't see the games of course, but against Dallas, the numbers suggest that Russell didn't defend well against Stevens. Azura shot 8-11 to finish with 19 points. Meanwhile, Mercedes ended up tying Shay Murphy for a team worst plus/minus of -15 for the game. Then against LA, she managed only 2 points on 1-5 shooting against a weak post rotation of Kaylee Jensen, Taya Reimer, Kathryn Westbeld, and rusty Mistee Bass returning from pregnancy. This is significant because offense is supposed to be Russell's strength. It was her chance to shine, but Mercedes couldn't make it happen. One unimpressive outing on defense, and one unimpressive showing on offense. Russell needed to offset these performances by looking great in practice, but apparently she didn't do enough.

To support your point, a 6’6” player averaging so few blocks in college certainly would require work to become a good WNBA defender. Or even a decent one. I’m not sure why people are challenging your point when her lack of rim protection was a known and well-discussed commodity before the draft.

Anyway, she’s out and there’s obviously a reason. It’s disappointing but let’s see what transpires in the coming week.

PostPosted: 05/18/18 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what I don't understand is where is Queenie. She seems awfully quiet these days...

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 05/18/18 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well dear, you know - Royal wedding and all.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/18/18 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queeeeenieeeeeeeeee

PostPosted: 05/19/18 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://liberty.wnba.com/news/smith-talks-end-of-training-camp-roster-season-opener-and-more/

Quote:
“Our team is versatile no matter which position you look at. Our guards have size and our bigs can adjust. We can have Coleman at the four or even have Nurse at the one. Or you can run Epiphanny at the one and go small.” Smith continued. “The gamesmanship of what is working, what will cause other teams the most problems at times, and what can help us, are all a part of how we prepare. Everybody is capable because we have a lot of pieces and things we can use to support our lineups.”

PostPosted: 05/19/18 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching a speed guard in Faulkner struggle post-ACL injury to demonstrate her pre-injury speed. I hope the same fate doesn't await Boyd.

PostPosted: 05/19/18 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Watching a speed guard in Faulkner struggle post-ACL injury to demonstrate her pre-injury speed. I hope the same fate doesn't await Boyd.

It looks like Faulkner worked on her 3pointshot. I recommend that Boyd improves her outside shooting

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 05/19/18 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
http://liberty.wnba.com/news/smith-talks-end-of-training-camp-roster-season-opener-and-more/

Quote:
“Our team is versatile no matter which position you look at. Our guards have size and our bigs can adjust. We can have Coleman at the four or even have Nurse at the one. Or you can run Epiphanny at the one and go small.” Smith continued. “The gamesmanship of what is working, what will cause other teams the most problems at times, and what can help us, are all a part of how we prepare. Everybody is capable because we have a lot of pieces and things we can use to support our lineups.”

If Stokes is out for tomorrow, we're going to see a lot of Coleman at PF. UGH!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 05/19/18 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Quote:

Who's going to defend DeShields? I was hoping it was going to be Coleman.

Might be time to go all-in on Gabby if Coleman is defending her. Surprised

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/19/18 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty article in the NY Times today.

Quote:
The Westchester County Center has an official capacity of 5,000, but the Liberty are expected to configure seating in a way that allows about 2,300 spectators, with an option to expand to as many as 4,500.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/19/sports/basketball/new-york-liberty-wnba.html

There's also a link within the article that connects to a 2015 story about Katie Smith and other women potentially working in the NBA. I don't remember seeing it before. It also gives Katie credit for building the Liberty's defense.

PostPosted: 05/19/18 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How do they double capacity? 2,300 to 4,500+? I hate this place already.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 05/19/18 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
How do they double capacity? 2,300 to 4,500+?

lap seating??

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/19/18 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Quote:

I'd like to think they'd have kept/signed a 12th player if Stokes is out. I tend to think she will play. I was in a walking boot for a few weeks in 2015. It was just for a surgery for a small growth on my toe. If I'd had to play basketball I could have...with a bandage and a shoe one size higher than my regular size. Smile

Just looking at it numbers wise, I doubt seriously they would approach a regular season game where the ONLY backup post player is Marissa Coleman.

PostPosted: 05/19/18 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even if Stokes is out, Chicago is starting Gabby Williams at PF. The actual bigs -- Dolson, Parker, Coates -- only logged 52 minutes today. It won't be that hard for NY to get similar minutes out of Charles and Zahui B. Then you can match Coleman or Allen against Gabby at PF. Assuming Prince isn't ready, then Zellous, Nurse, Rodgers, Hartley, Boyd cover the three perimeter spots. Playing 9 is pretty normal for a lot of teams.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 4:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Quote:
The Westchester County Center has an official capacity of 5,000, but the Liberty are expected to configure seating in a way that allows about 2,300 spectators, with an option to expand to as many as 4,500.

There's also a link within the article that connects to a 2015 story about Katie Smith and other women potentially working in the NBA. I don't remember seeing it before. It also gives Katie credit for building the Liberty's defense.

You can put bleachers on the Stage, you can also make the area where the tables are similar to what it is behind the benches...I doubt they'd do it...likely more an excuse to inflate numbers. but At least they're being honest about the main configurations...where half the seats cant see the full court as it is!!!! yes the building itself is part of the problem...and why they need a new owner fast...league got sold a bill of goods here

Edit...from a gaze at ticketmaster it seems that only the corners (and there are some FUNKY seats in those corners) and some mid row singles are left for Friday...I'll be interested in how many fans seem local...One defense I will give Clarke is she does seem interested in keeping as many of the hardcore fans from the City engaged rather than bringing in new ones...be it because its for just 1 year or they did build up a core in the Bronx and Brooklyn streetball community. So not having advertising on the WCC Website may be by design...I know for weekends they're trying to import as many fans as possible...running shuttle busses from MSG Etc...I'll give you more details after the first game good bad and ugly.

One thing I'll say...Queenie was at the Sun Preseason DHes...said a lot of Card Carrying Sun STH in lib gear...ones we knew from msg...Card Carrying STH jumping to the Sun (but wearing Lib gear when they're in town) not a good sign.

As for Queenie, she's alive and well...Myrtle check your PMs

PostPosted: 05/20/18 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well it really makes no sense to me in terms of trying to sell the team to a) take it out of the city and b)downsize the fan base. So it does make sense for them to try to do what they can to keep fans, if only to keep it a salable commodity. Still seems totally bizarro.

- Amanda Gorman
zune69

PostPosted: 05/20/18 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Quote:

Colemam lacks the lateral quickness and foot speed to guard Diamond...The best options for guarding Diamond/Copper are K.Nurse and S.Zellous.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/20/18 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Quote:

You can put bleachers on the Stage, you can also make the area where the tables are similar to what it is behind the benches...I doubt they'd do it...likely more an excuse to inflate numbers. but At least they're being honest about the main configurations...where half the seats cant see the full court as it is!!!! yes the building itself is part of the problem...and why they need a new owner fast...league got sold a bill of goods here

Edit...from a gaze at ticketmaster it seems that only the corners (and there are some FUNKY seats in those corners) and some mid row singles are left for Friday...I'll be interested in how many fans seem local...One defense I will give Clarke is she does seem interested in keeping as many of the hardcore fans from the City engaged rather than bringing in new ones...be it because its for just 1 year or they did build up a core in the Bronx and Brooklyn streetball community. So not having advertising on the WCC Website may be by design...I know for weekends they're trying to import as many fans as possible...running shuttle busses from MSG Etc...I'll give you more details after the first game good bad and ugly.

One thing I'll say...Queenie was at the Sun Preseason DHes...said a lot of Card Carrying Sun STH in lib gear...ones we knew from msg...Card Carrying STH jumping to the Sun (but wearing Lib gear when they're in town) not a good sign.

As for Queenie, she's alive and well...Myrtle check your PMs

HALF the seats???? Omg. I’m assuming a mid court balcony seat in the front row is one of the seats that can see the entire court?

PostPosted: 05/20/18 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Quote:

Colemam lacks the lateral quickness and foot speed to guard Diamond...The best options for guarding Diamond/Copper are K.Nurse and S.Zellous.

Even Sugar would be a better option than Coleman but I’m sure Z will be on her to start. Leaving Tina to defend Gabby Williams the same way she defended Alyssa Thomas. But I tend to think Stokes is playing. I don’t think they’d be going with 2 posts and Coleman with nobody else.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ll try to explain it in what may be Dolan’s viewpoint. MSG the corporation stands to make millions of dollars more in profits taking the Liberty out of MSG the arena. They’re not going to make millions of dollars more in capital gains by keeping the Liberty in MSG the arena, especially once the prospective owners view the projected balance sheet for keeping the team in MSG the arena. There’s probably no way a new owner can currently turn a profit with the team at MSG the arena. But maybe the team can turn some kind of profit at WCC. The rental fees for WCC have to be significantly cheaper than they are for MSG the arena, but the Liberty’s chief source of income, their share of the broadcast rights from ESPN, remains the same.... although they probably lose a little in sponsorship money. So maybe Dolan tries out the Liberty at WCC for a year or two, takes a look at how favorable the books look, and then decides whether or not he wants to sell the Liberty and at what price. Something tells me he’s not going to be paying a lot of capital gains tax on the sale of the Liberty. Dolan might decide to hold onto the Liberty long term as a sort of lottery ticket just in case the tide turns in favor of the WNBA popularity (and there are small signs that it is) in which case WNBA ownership could be in high demand.

That’s my businessman’s viewpoint if the situation. Don’t shoot the mailman for the message. If I was Dolan I probably would have.... done the same thing he has only a lot sooner.

I’ve come up with a potential new slogan for the Liberty. If they want to use it they’re going to have to pay me. “You can take the Liberty out of MSG, but you can’t take the MSG out of the Liberty.” What do you think? It’s a lot better than #ShowUp, right?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/20/18 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I don’t think they’d be going with 2 posts and Coleman with nobody else.

With Lavender and Vadeeva overseas, and Parker injured, right now LA has Nneka as the only post. The next tallest player is Sydney Wiese, who spent her whole college career as a point guard. By comparison, the Liberty having two post players looks like an embarrassment of riches. Wink

PostPosted: 05/20/18 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding Shades' comment, sounds plausible to me. I was kinda thinking the same.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 60 of 90

Jump to: