View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/11/18 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
An Open Letter About Female Coaches

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pau-gasol-becky-hammon

Quote:
The argument that I see most often is thankfully the one that’s easiest to disprove: It’s this idea that, at the absolute highest level of basketball, a woman isn’t capable of coaching men. “Yeah, female coaches are fine coaching women’s college basketball, or the WNBA,” the argument goes. “But the NBA? The NBA is different.”

First, I’ve just gotta tell you: If you’re making that argument to anyone who’s actually played any high-level basketball, you’re going to seem really ignorant.

Very well written.

PostPosted: 05/11/18 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Seeing Hammon on the sidelines, running an NBA team and commanding respect from the likes of LeBron James and Stephen Curry, will of course send a powerful message to little girls and women everywhere. That they can do and be anything they want. That it is their skills, talent and ability, not their gender, that matter.

But as important as that message is for women, it’s equally if not even more important for men. Just as little girls need to grow up knowing anything is possible for women, so do little boys.

Can I add "so do big boys"?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2018/05/11/nba-becky-hammons-hiring-coach-send-important-message-men/602685002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 05/12/18 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Time not right for Becky Hammon to coach Bucks

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/gary-damato/2018/05/11/damato-time-isnt-right-becky-hammon-coach-bucks/599002002/

Quote:
Without question, Hammon is qualified to interview with the Bucks.

But this is the wrong team and the wrong time for her to get the job.

It's the perfect faux-progressive argument. She's qualified to coach, just not for his team.

PostPosted: 05/12/18 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Time not right for Becky Hammon to coach Bucks

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/gary-damato/2018/05/11/damato-time-isnt-right-becky-hammon-coach-bucks/599002002/

Quote:
Without question, Hammon is qualified to interview with the Bucks.

But this is the wrong team and the wrong time for her to get the job.

It's the perfect faux-progressive argument. She's qualified to coach, just not for his team.

Excellent critique. This guy's article could be the definition of "sleazy." Oh, she's so great... "But what if she failed?" As if an endless number of famous, highly experienced coaches haven't failed in the NBA. "The time is coming. Not here. Not now." The inevitable refrain every time an important social change might happen. Surely many sportswriters said that before and when Branch Rickey signed Jackie Robinson to play for the Dodgers.

P.S. I just looked at the comments on the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's web page. At the moment (late morning Saturday in NYC), the vast majority are from men and the vast majority are blasting this columnist for his sexism.

PostPosted: 05/12/18 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, now that the Toronto Raptors has just fired their head coach yesterday, shortly after the team was swept by the Cleveland Cavaliers and he was named “Coach of the Year”...should the Raptors contact Becky if things don’t work out with the Bucks?

PostPosted: 05/12/18 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Well, now that the Toronto Raptors has just fired their head coach yesterday, shortly after the team was swept by the Cleveland Cavaliers and he was named “Coach of the Year”...should the Raptors contact Becky if things don’t work out with the Bucks?

I wonder if that is a record for the shortest time between getting names COY and getting fired.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 05/12/18 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

I wonder if that is a record for the shortest time between getting names COY and getting fired.

I don't see how anyone else could beat 2 days.
Genero36

PostPosted: 05/18/18 3:44 pm    ::: Re: Sources: Becky Hammon to talk Bucks job Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"Hammon, 41, is on the Pistons' radar as they look to fill their coaching vacancy after parting ways with Stan Van Gundy last week. Hammon last week reportedly interviewed with the Milwaukee Bucks, who reached an agreement to hire Mike Budenholzer as their next coach Wednesday."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/pistons-will-consider-becky-hammon-for-their-head-coaching-vacancy/ar-AAxtmmR?li=BBnb7Kz

PostPosted: 05/18/18 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Becky is competing with men who have won COY and were HC and assistants for a long time. May take her a while to land a HC job. Hope she makes it. Her best shot might just be with the Spurs.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/27/18 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spurs Assistant Coach Becky Hammon Promoted
Quote:
SAN ANTONIO (June 27, 2018) – The San Antonio Spurs today announced that assistant coach Becky Hammon has been promoted. Hammon fills the position vacated by James Borrego who was named head coach of the Charlotte Hornets on May 10.

http://www.wnba.com/news/spurs-assistant-coach-becky-hammon-promoted/

PostPosted: 06/27/18 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Quote:
SAN ANTONIO (June 27, 2018) – The San Antonio Spurs today announced that assistant coach Becky Hammon has been promoted. Hammon fills the position vacated by James Borrego who was named head coach of the Charlotte Hornets on May 10.

Promoted to what?
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/27/18 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Quote:

Promoted to what?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

PostPosted: 06/27/18 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From assistant coach to assistant coach, essentially. With Borrego gone they apparently moved her up the pecking order, but because they call all these people 'assistant coach' there's no real change in the title. Maybe now she'll get to sit in the front row.

PostPosted: 06/27/18 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
From assistant coach to assistant coach, essentially. With Borrego gone they apparently moved her up the pecking order, but because they call all these people 'assistant coach' there's no real change in the title. Maybe now she'll get to sit in the front row.

It’s likely a hire paying gig with more responsibility.

PostPosted: 06/28/18 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently the six assistants are divided into two groups -- three who sit behind the bench and three who sit next to the head coach and players. Hammon has now moved up to the bench ...

Despite the apparent triviality of her placement during games, this actually seems like a big deal to me. There were two other assistants who could have been moved up, and Hammon was chosen ahead of them -- and I don't believe Gregg Popovich did this just to "promote a woman." The NBA is a no-mercy league and 2018-19 is a crucial season for the Spurs.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: