RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/18 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some kind of clause might explain the rash of early multi-year extensions given to the class of 2015, even to KML. But in the news release, the SEA GM acted like the players were really worthy of the extensions... could be standard PR.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/17/18 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
So, why not wait until next February to make a decision?

I would think the obvious answer is money. Wait until next year and someone offers her max. Are you gonna match it? Now you can give her a little raise and both sides are happy and she's locked in.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/18 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are teams getting a discount on these early contracts? Players seeing any kind of raise after their rookie contracts might be content with like $80-$90K for Loyd. Less for KML.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/17/18 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
root_thing wrote:
So, why not wait until next February to make a decision?

I would think the obvious answer is money. Wait until next year and someone offers her max. Are you gonna match it? Now you can give her a little raise and both sides are happy and she's locked in.

If someone offers Stokes max, then she probably had a good year. Matching under those circumstances wouldn't be so onerous. You might also be able to work out a Natasha Howard type trade with the other team beforehand.

After giving it more thought, a more interesting take might be fear that a new CBA results in a much higher max within a similar cap. That would benefit the people on top but further squeeze middle-class players. Perhaps that uncertainty is enough incentive for both sides to reach a compromise right now.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would also point out, for what it's worth, that just because it's an extension doesn't mean there's any guaranteed money in it. Presumably it suggests they like the player, but they're not necessarily locked into anything.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe the GMs think the cap and max will go up in 19 so locking in a player now means a lower rate.

Randy

PostPosted: 05/17/18 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
While we're waiting on the Cutdown Countdown, I'd like to get back to the Stokes extension for a moment. I'm hearing a lot of comments that basically say, "I like Stokes" or "She's worth having on the team." However, no one is addressing the question of, "Why now?" Kiah is a restricted free agent at the end of the season. The Liberty control whether she can walk away, not Stokes. And it's not like Kiah is a star player that you need to keep happy and pampered. Usually, early extensions are a symbolic gesture by the team to show their commitment to a star.

When people make decisions, they generally want more information and more choices. So, why not wait until next February to make a decision? Look at all the important information you'll have by then:

1) An extra year of performance to evaluate Stokes.
2) Knowledge of how your team performed and where you need help.
3) A final list of available free agents who may help you fill those needs.
4) The draft slots where you will be selecting.
5) A better feel for both the quality and availability of players in the draft.

On top of that, the team will have greater flexibility because they're locked into one less player. The only reasons I can think of for making the decision now is if management thinks they got a discount or because they're worried about changes that may occur based on the CBA opt-out. Otherwise, I don't see any advantage in giving Stokes an extension right now.

groot_thing - I think you have probably given this issue far more thought than the Liberty brass did. I imagine their thought process was something like "Hey we like Stokes. Let's see if she will go for an extension."

toad455

PostPosted: 05/17/18 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So the Liberty are going to wait until Monday to announce their roster?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/18 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
So the Liberty are going to wait until Monday to announce their roster?

Times up! I wouldn’t be surprised if the Sparks don’t want to announce their final roster (unless it’s required).

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/17/18 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

groot_thing - I think you have probably given this issue far more thought than the Liberty brass did. I imagine their thought process was something like "Hey we like Stokes. Let's see if she will go for an extension."

Eh, everything discussed on this board is probably more thought than the GMs give it. Razz

groot_thing? Did I just become a member of Marvel Comics?

PostPosted: 05/17/18 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/17/18 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Russell, Gray and L.Allen gone according to .com Transactoions page. Vaughn temp suspended.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Russell, Gray and L.Allen gone according to .com Transactoions page. Vaughn temp suspended.

yeah i just checked that out , Could this be wrong ? They also have Vadeeva being waived by LA . Not sure if i should trust this yet . If so Seattle should give Russell and Vadeeva a serious look !

PostPosted: 05/17/18 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would suspect that all the names are meant to be there, but it was meant to say that Vadeeva is Temporarily Suspended (as with the listing for several others).

PostPosted: 05/17/18 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So R. Allen makes the final team? Ugh! Hopefully someone else picks up Russell. So we start with 10 assuming Prince is injured and Boyd is ready? Rather thin inside without Vaughn. Should have kept Russell over R. Allen.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/18 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New York Allen, Lindsay Waived
New York Gray, Reshanda Waived
New York Russell, Mercedes Waived
New York Vaughn, Kia Suspended – Temporary*

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/17/18 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I would suspect that all the names are meant to be there, but it was meant to say that Vadeeva is Temporarily Suspended (as with the listing for several others).

They seemed to get Dabovic status right of Full suspension and Lavender's temp suspension . So how sure can we be that Vadeeva was not waived ?

PostPosted: 05/17/18 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

They seemed to get Dabovic status right of Full suspension and Lavender's temp suspension . So how sure can we be that Vadeeva was not waived ?

Because it says so in their announcement of the team

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/17/18 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

The Sparks announced her as being on their opening day roster in multiple places - https://twitter.com/LA_Sparks/status/997224033644171264 , http://sparks.wnba.com/news/2018-sparks-roster-released/ . That's usually a pretty strong hint.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

She’s shown in the final roster I posted with her photoshopped #10 jersey.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/17/18 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Thanks Michelle !

PostPosted: 05/17/18 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On one hand I’m not happy to lose Lindsay Allen because of her vision and PG skills. OTOH it suggests Piph is not out that long. It also suggests that Piph may play some point and/or that Boyd has retained much of her athletic ability.

This puts the onus on Stokes and Zahui to produce as well.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Am I missing something? I count 12 players for the Liberty. If so, why do we have to suspend Vaughn? You would suspend her to get a 13th player.

1 Hartley/Boyd
2 Prince/Rodgers/Nurse
3 Zellous/R. Allen
4 Charles/Coleman
5 Stokes/Zahui B/Vaughn

PostPosted: 05/17/18 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Am I missing something? I count 12 players for the Liberty. If so, why do we have to suspend Vaughn? You would suspend her to get a 13th player.

1 Hartley/Boyd
2 Prince/Rodgers/Nurse
3 Zellous/R. Allen
4 Charles/Coleman
5 Stokes/Zahui B/Vaughn

Vaughn is still overseas. Suspending her could possibly let the Liberty bring back Russell until Vaughn arrives.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/17/18 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or you just suspend her because she's not there and you don't want to pay her.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 58 of 90

Jump to: