RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Laurel or Yanny?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Laurel or Yanny
Laurel
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Yanny
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Who cares?
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 17

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/16/18 7:45 am    ::: Laurel or Yanny? Reply Reply with quote

Which do you hear?

I'm a Yanny.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
StevenHW

PostPosted: 05/16/18 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Question

PostPosted: 05/16/18 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Question

https://www.wired.com/story/yanny-and-laurel-true-history/

I hear "yanny"

Here's a tool to help you hear both:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

PostPosted: 05/16/18 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The answer:

https://mobile.twitter.com/minnesotalynx/status/996817260277846016/video/1

PostPosted: 05/16/18 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Question

Embarassed

I was so concerned with getting the poll correct that I forgot the link.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/17/18 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both. Heard Yanny on some TV show earlier and Laurel on the 10PM news.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 2:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Both. Heard Yanny on some TV show earlier and Laurel on the 10PM news.

Yeah ditto.
I was team Laurel all the way, but then last night it was a story on a local news channel and when they played it, I got Yanny Confused

PostPosted: 05/17/18 4:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s a shapes of sounds and frequencies thing that hits most people in one way or the other. There is a freaky feature on the New York Times that has a slider that really ... IDK... demonstrates? Anyway. Try to balance it so you hear both simultaneously. And then take it over to the right side and get the Yanny thing and then try slowly sliding over to the other side and try hanging onto the Yaddy for as long as you can. You actually can delay your brain switching over to hearing the other word shape sound.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 4:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do all the above at your own risk by the way. You might just lose your ability to discern speech or some epic shit like that. Like this might start an epidemic wherein humans might be rendered into a state where everything we say to each other sounds like babble. If we’re not already there. Wink

PostPosted: 05/17/18 7:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
It’s a shapes of sounds and frequencies thing that hits most people in one way or the other. There is a freaky feature on the New York Times that has a slider that really ... IDK... demonstrates? Anyway. Try to balance it so you hear both simultaneously. And then take it over to the right side and get the Yanny thing and then try slowly sliding over to the other side and try hanging onto the Yaddy for as long as you can. You actually can delay your brain switching over to hearing the other word shape sound.

I noticed last night when I was messing with the link that Pilight provided. I started in the middle and heard Yanny. I was in the last section of the left side before I heard laurel. So I started moving it back to the right and was hearing laurel about 1/3 of the way back to center. It was weird.

How long before this makes it in to a court room? "Are you SURE that you heard the defendant say 'I'm gonna kill that SOB' or could you have heard yanny?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/17/18 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

I noticed last night when I was messing with the link that Pilight provided. I started in the middle and heard Yanny. I was in the last section of the left side before I heard laurel. So I started moving it back to the right and was hearing laurel about 1/3 of the way back to center. It was weird.

How long before this makes it in to a court room? "Are you SURE that you heard the defendant say 'I'm gonna kill that SOB' or could you have heard yanny?

Fortunately I think this is pretty much confined to electronically recorded and replayed voices. I'm hoping. Wink

PostPosted: 05/17/18 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/997255568782852096

PostPosted: 05/17/18 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could only hear "Yanni", while many around me could only hear "Laurel". The science only satisfies me to a point: I don't get how the 2 names, with their (apparent?) diverse consonant/vowel sounds can be so overshadowing, one over the other. Shocked Question

PostPosted: 05/18/18 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've heard both depending on what device I was listening on. I heard Yanny every time on two stations on my TV, but Laurel every time on websites on my laptop computer.

It must have to do with how the loudspeakers you are listening to reproduce various frequencies, and also how well your ears process different frequencies.
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/18/18 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I could only hear "Yanni", while many around me could only hear "Laurel". The science only satisfies me to a point: I don't get how the 2 names, with their (apparent?) diverse consonant/vowel sounds can be so overshadowing, one over the other. Shocked Question

I don’t get how in one listening from a single source different people hearing different things. But I definitely understand how the sound shapes can be perceived one of at least two ways depending on manipulation of frequencies or differences in the quality of the recording or speaker etc. It’s exactly like the old drawing that asks which do you see, the old lady or the young woman. The outline of one and the empty space, if our perception is flipped somehow, can become the outline and full space of another thing or sound entirely.

PostPosted: 05/18/18 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
Question

https://www.wired.com/story/yanny-and-laurel-true-history/

I hear "yanny"

Here's a tool to help you hear both:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

Thanks, Pilight. I don't always keep up with the latest talk that is trending on social media. So, I didn't know what the original poster was referring to.

That said, the argument about this reminds me of the actual color of "The Dress" from 2015, which we talked about...

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1282966

PostPosted: 05/18/18 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, ont he slider..I never even got to "Yanny." At some point it switches over to "yarry" for me, but it stays "Lauren" for most of the time.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: