6. Tina Charles, New York Liberty
7. Angel McCoughtry, Atlanta Dream
8. Nneka Ogwumike, Los Angeles Sparks
9. Maya Moore, Minnesota Lynx
10. Breanna Stewart, Seattle Storm

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/16/18 10:54 pm    ::: Re: Race to MVP Reply Reply with quote

It seems idiotic to do this in the preseason.

If you are going to do it in the preseason, it seems idiotic to put anyone besides last year's winner at No. 1.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/16/18 11:25 pm    ::: Re: Race to MVP Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

If you are going to do it in the preseason, it seems idiotic to put anyone besides last year's winner at No. 1.

Or maybe its all rigged and they know who they want to give it too.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 2:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No love for the Buffalo Wild WINGS?!

Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/18 3:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s a pretty formidable Top 10.

Since the press core will refuse to name McCoughtry as MVP even if she has the stats to back it up, they should pluck her out of #7 and put her down as a honorable mention. Let’s put Cambage up at #7.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/17/18 4:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will Griner be that dominant center (scoring, rebounding and defending) that we all know she could be for a complete season? Then she will be the MVP.

My hope is for Stewie and that she takes the next step just like LJ did in her 3rd season but with Dan wanting to play her at the 3 spot im not really sure that will happen

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Randy

PostPosted: 05/17/18 7:06 am    ::: Re: Race to MVP Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
http://www.wnba.com/news/race-to-mvp-brittney-griner-leads-preseason-rankings/

1. Brittney Griner, Phoenix Mercury
2. Sylvia Fowles, Minnesota Lynx
3. Candace Parker, Los Angeles Sparks
4. Jonquel Jones, Connecticut Sun
5. Elena Delle Donne, Washington Mystics
6. Tina Charles, New York Liberty
7. Angel McCoughtry, Atlanta Dream
8. Nneka Ogwumike, Los Angeles Sparks
9. Maya Moore, Minnesota Lynx
10. Breanna Stewart, Seattle Storm

8 of the top 10 are posts and 2 SF's. No guards in the mix.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/17/18 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The MVP very likely will go to a player on a team that has either the best record or is within a few games. If Phoenix is able to return to that upper echelon then Griner will be the choice. But until someone challenges Minnesota and LA I'll stick with Maya Moore, who deserves better than #9.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/18 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With her unselfish style of play, Maya is moore the MVP-maker than the MVP herself. Fowles comes to Minnesota and flourishes with league and Finals MVPs. This off season alone, Maya helped mousy Meesseman to the Euroleague tournament MVP and subsequently helped Griner to the Russian League tournament MVP. These are not all coincidences. Maya makes her teammates better.... knows how to play to their strengths.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/17/18 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
With her unselfish style of play, Maya is moore the MVP-maker than the MVP herself. Fowles comes to Minnesota and flourishes with league and Finals MVPs. This off season alone, Maya helped mousy Meesseman to the Euroleague tournament MVP and subsequently helped Griner to the Russian League tournament MVP. These are not all coincidences. Maya makes her teammates better.... knows how to play to their strengths.

Lets not make it seem like these players did not put in the work themselves to be in the position to be named MVP . Maya cant put the ball in the basket for them , although i do agree maya should have gotten MVP over messeman , BG's MVP was legit. As much of an effect as maya had on that team so did BG.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Lets not act like Fowles hasnt put up similar numbers in the past and that Maya made that happen. Although taking the backseat more and be that 2nd scoring option might deserve some credit.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69

PostPosted: 05/17/18 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My MVP picks:

1.Griner
2.Diggins
3.EDD
4.Stewart
5.Moore

bballgrl

PostPosted: 05/17/18 9:51 pm    ::: Re: Race to MVP Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Had she not gotten injured last year Griner would have been MVP. Even with Griner missing the number of games she did, she still remained the lead scorer. Even though SF played more games than BG she did not pass her in scoring. Most likely it will be someone different this year.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 05/18/18 3:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Griner or EDD, as long as either stays healthy.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/18/18 3:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've got top 3 (clear alphas of their team, predicting big stat line that could over come a 4td to 6th place finish, stats and a top 3 finish will seal the deal).
Griner, Stewart and EDD

followed by (also legit but will split votes with someone else from their team, the first four could also suffer from voter fatigue even if they kill it been there, done that also if Minny and LA fallout of the top 2 can those teams be seen as having a successful season, something the top line doesn't have to contend with. The last two could suffer from the Wings just not being considered a top team yet, even a 3rd place finnish has a chance to be seen as a fluke, though if they get there or close and one has dominant stats for their position they will be in the running).
Moore, Fowles, N. Ogwumike, Parker, Cambage and Diggins

Rounding out the top 12 (my gut says they won't be the statistical power houses they've been last year J. jones thanks to the return of Ogwumike or the last few years with Atl and NY moving to more sharing and team identity over star player dominance, but clear alphas, if they have decent stats and a strong team placement they could sneak in).
Charles, McCoughtry, J. Jones

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/18/18 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
My MVP picks:

1.Griner
2.Diggins
3.EDD
4.Stewart
5.Moore

So Fowles goes from a the near-unanimous winner to not in the Top 5?

tfan

PostPosted: 05/18/18 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Those are all stacked teams. Stacked teams win and the MVP normally comes from the winner.

PostPosted: 05/18/18 11:50 am    ::: Re: Race to MVP Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Had she not gotten injured last year Griner would have been MVP. Even with Griner missing the number of games she did, she still remained the lead scorer. Even though SF played more games than BG she did not pass her in scoring. Most likely it will be someone different this year.

Why would games missed affect Griner's points per game average?... In total points scored, Fowles -- along with 6 others -- did in fact pass Griner last season.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/18/18 11:51 am    ::: Re: Race to MVP Reply Reply with quote

22 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Why would games missed affect Griner's points per game average?... In total points scored, Fowles -- along with 6 others -- did in fact pass Griner last season.

Regression to the mean would suggest that more games played would likely have lowered her per game average, not increased it.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/18/18 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
zune69 wrote:
My MVP picks:

1.Griner
2.Diggins
3.EDD
4.Stewart
5.Moore

I think she is at the same spot as Maya. They both carry the team and most likely split the votes so that neither wins MVP. Winning MVP back to back doesnt happen often

pilight

PostPosted: 05/18/18 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Winning MVP back to back doesnt happen often

It's only happened once, 20 years ago

PostPosted: 05/18/18 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
zune69 wrote:
My MVP picks:

1.Griner
2.Diggins
3.EDD
4.Stewart
5.Moore

I think she is at the same spot as Maya. They both carry the team and most likely split the votes so that neither wins MVP. Winning MVP back to back doesnt happen often

I don't suspect she will win again. I also not thinking of her as one of the top candidates before the season starts - if not THE top candidate - is silly.

zune69

PostPosted: 05/18/18 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
zune69 wrote:
My MVP picks:

1.Griner
2.Diggins
3.EDD
4.Stewart
5.Moore

I don't suspect she will win again. I also not thinking of her as one of the top candidates before the season starts - if not THE top candidate - is silly.

Who said She's not one of the top MVP candidates?...All i did was give my top 5.

Griner,Stewart and EDD are more valuable to their teams than Fowles...Moore has won the MVP before...and with the addition of Cambage,and a healthy Powers,Diggins should be in the MVP hunt.

When Whalen sat out some games towards the end of last season,Fowles' scoring & FG% dropped.

Seattle w/o Stewart-lottery team
Washington w/o EDD-lottery team
Phoenix w/o Griner-lottery team
Dallas w/o Diggins-Bottom 6 team
Minnesota w/o Fowles-20 win team

Fowles is in my top 7 for MVP.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/18/18 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
zune69 wrote:
My MVP picks:

1.Griner
2.Diggins
3.EDD
4.Stewart
5.Moore

Who said She's not one of the top MVP candidates?...All i did was give my top 5.

Griner,Stewart and EDD are more valuable to their teams than Fowles...Moore has won the MVP before...and with the addition of Cambage,and a healthy Powers,Diggins should be in the MVP hunt.

When Whalen sat out some games towards the end of last season,Fowles' scoring & FG% dropped.

With Stewie they have been a lottery team twice now ..Does that take away from the value ?

PostPosted: 05/18/18 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
zune69 wrote:
My MVP picks:

1.Griner
2.Diggins
3.EDD
4.Stewart
5.Moore

With Stewie they have been a lottery team twice now ..Does that take away from the value ?

Most of the time it does. LJ won MVP when the Storm were a lottery team but you are talking about one of the best to ever play the game. It doesnt happen a lot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: