RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Waivers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/15/18 3:47 pm    ::: Waivers Reply Reply with quote

I know this has been discussed before but I can't find it. Can someone explain the waiver process and how long each team has to pass on someone? How long before a player clears waivers? etc... I was thinking it was two days but don't know if that is 'business' days or straight up 48 hours or even if my memory about two days is even valid.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/15/18 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was curious about this to, was Schimmel taken off the waiver wire or cleared of before being sign in LV.

Also not trying to highjack but expand

Does anyone see any signing happening in the next week off the waiver wire, or post the waiver wire period? Or any last minute trades involving players on the bubble?

The only two I can think of off hand are

Coleman in NY

Schimmel in LV

some pretty decent players should be waived in the next 48 hours

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/16/18 6:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When is the deadline to finalize the roster down to 12?

Speebs56

PostPosted: 05/16/18 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

May 17th

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 05/16/18 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The final Sun roster has been announced.

Randy

PostPosted: 05/16/18 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only one mild surprise - Laney made the team.

http://sun.wnba.com/news/sun-announce-final-roster-2/

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/16/18 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I was curious about this to, was Schimmel taken off the waiver wire or cleared of before being sign in LV.

I don't know what happened with Schimmel, but it probably doesn't matter because she's not making much money either way. Coleman probably cleared waivers. Her press release stated that she signed a contract, so that indicates her old contract was not assumed. Even more interesting is whether Marissa's contract with Indiana was guaranteed. If it was, then Indiana is still paying her. With guaranteed contracts, teams usually work out a termination settlement before waiving the player-- typically 50%. Coleman could be double-dipping right now, getting paid by both NY and Indiana. Of course, if the contract was not guaranteed, then Indiana owes her nothing.

PostPosted: 05/16/18 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can see the Lynx taking Emma Cannon as a post until Kizer come back....

Shades

PostPosted: 05/16/18 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
I can see the Lynx taking Emma Cannon as a post until Kizer come back....

Kizer never went anywhere. She's just has a sore back.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 05/16/18 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 05/16/18 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

I don't know what happened with Schimmel, but it probably doesn't matter because she's not making much money either way. Coleman probably cleared waivers. Her press release stated that she signed a contract, so that indicates her old contract was not assumed. Even more interesting is whether Marissa's contract with Indiana was guaranteed. If it was, then Indiana is still paying her. With guaranteed contracts, teams usually work out a termination settlement before waiving the player-- typically 50%. Coleman could be double-dipping right now, getting paid by both NY and Indiana. Of course, if the contract was not guaranteed, then Indiana owes her nothing.

LV would have had the first call on wiavers so they could get Shoni either way. My assumption would be whatever salary the Liberty pay Coleman is deducted from what Indy owes her (if anything.)

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/16/18 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
My assumption would be whatever salary the Liberty pay Coleman is deducted from what Indy owes her (if anything.)

It dooesn't really work like that, because they'd have to agree the 'divorce agreement' sum from the first contract before the second one's ever signed. Although these days there is what is fondly referred to in some circles as The Ruth Riley Rule, which prevents players earning more than the max via payoff + second contract.

The divorce agreement sum is often close to 'original contract minus vet minimum', on the basis that the minimum is usually what the player will find on the open market afterwards if they're inclined to look. I'm surprised by how often players seem to agree to less than the full amount. Although cutting players owed guaranteed money hasn't seemed quite so common in recent years.

As for Schimmel and Coleman, I believe they both cleared waivers and were then signed. Everything seemed to say 'signed' when they joined their current teams, which doesn't technically happen when you're claiming someone.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: