RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/16/18 4:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think there is a big difference between being fat and not being in game shape..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/16/18 6:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
I think there is a big difference between being fat and not being in game shape..

True, but Stokes hasn't played any games yet. Nothing is different from last season. Kiah played in the Turkish League last winter, she played in the Turkish League this winter. And she arguably had a better season last year. It should be noted that right after Kiah was accused of being out of shape with New York, she went on to have her three best games of the year, averaging 14 points, 15 rebounds, and 2 blocks. So, did Stokes get in game shape for one week?

PostPosted: 05/16/18 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So does anyone think ESPN will dump their ridiculous Body issue in favor of a WNBA Swimsuit edition?

LibFan25

PostPosted: 05/16/18 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Stokes signs contract extension

interesting they extend Stokes but not Boyd, they both come out in the same draft together. this is Boyd last chance with the Libs, if she gets hurt or don't play well she won't be in a Liberty uniform next year. it is why i think they will keep L. Allen on the 12 women roster and why they drafted Nurse that can play multiple positions.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/16/18 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since all these recent rash of contract extensions are from the same draft class and aren’t coming with press releases that I’ve noticed, I wonder if it’s just that one year extension of the rookie contract, which typically doesn’t show up in the transactions. In other words, not a big deal unless you see one that is reported as a multi-year extension, like Diggins got.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/16/18 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The CBA has an opt-out clause for 2019 that's available to both sides. The contract extensions may be related to that. Perhaps one-side or the other wants to lock-in what they think are acceptable terms rather than take a chance with possible negative change.

PostPosted: 05/16/18 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

True, but Stokes hasn't played any games yet. Nothing is different from last season. Kiah played in the Turkish League last winter, she played in the Turkish League this winter. And she arguably had a better season last year. It should be noted that right after Kiah was accused of being out of shape with New York, she went on to have her three best games of the year, averaging 14 points, 15 rebounds, and 2 blocks. So, did Stokes get in game shape for one week?

I just mean that she hasnt been fat to begin with.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 05/16/18 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Since all these recent rash of contract extensions are from the same draft class and aren’t coming with press releases that I’ve noticed, I wonder if it’s just that one year extension of the rookie contract, which typically doesn’t show up in the transactions. In other words, not a big deal unless you see one that is reported as a multi-year extension, like Diggins got.

Okay, now they just came out with a release saying they were signed to multi-year deals. Loyd I can see, but KML? Hughes hasn't even worked with her yet. Weird.
http://storm.wnba.com/news/jewell-loyd-kaleena-mosqueda-lewis-ink-multi-year-extensions-with-seattle/

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/16/18 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We can say the same about Stokes. She was at her best as a rookie, dropped-off a little in her second year, and dropped off some more last season. What's the hurry to give her a contract extension? Worst case scenario, Kiah becomes an RFA and you can match any offer. But if she falls off some more, then you could let her walk. Now you're stuck with her for better or worse.

PostPosted: 05/16/18 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
We can say the same about Stokes. She was at her best as a rookie, dropped-off a little in her second year, and dropped off some more last season. What's the hurry to give her a contract extension? Worst case scenario, Kiah becomes an RFA and you can match any offer. But if she falls off some more, then you could let her walk. Now you're stuck with her for better or worse.

Even at her worst she is still a good defensive post. Put the right pieces around her that can score and you have a really solid player. I would have her on the Storm right away Surprised

toad455

PostPosted: 05/16/18 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Vaughn likely won't be back until end of May now, likely missing 6 games. This should lock in Zahui B and Russell for now.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/16/18 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Hoping that means they've seen some type of indicator of a step up.

PostPosted: 05/16/18 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
So Vaughn likely won't be back until end of May now, likely missing 6 games.

Based on what? If the Turkish Finals end in 4, she'll have four days to make it back to the US for New York's second game. I dunno where you're getting six from.

PostPosted: 05/16/18 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty didn't get much love in the GM survey. Apparently nobody thinks we are going to finish in the top 5 even.

On the Nurse comparison to Katie Douglas. I think that's pretty good. I thought Root's hi-low of Douglas/Shenise Johnson was pretty good as well because she has traits that match both players. I do think that Nurse as a rookie stands a reasonable chance of getting beyond what Katie Douglas did as a rookie because Nurse is a much better 3 point shooter at the same stage of development. There are otherwise very uncanny similarities between the two players. Like Douglas, Nurse has that long 6'0" lanky build. Like Douglas, Nurse's success will probably be predicated on a combo of 3-ball and mid-range play that will involve creative separation from defenders. Because, like Douglas, at least the rookie version, Nurse's finishing game will also be the weakest part of her game. Even later in her career, while I wouldn't say Douglas wasn't a bad finisher, she never got to the foul line a bunch and mainly created her separation further away from the basket. I could totally see Kia Nurse's career following a similar trajectory.

I think Nurse has a chance to eventually exceed the level of play of Katie Douglas if a few things happen, but accomplishing that will be a task. Also, Douglas REALLY developed her ball-handling and use of fakes and step-backs to gain separation from defenders. That will be a process that will take several years for Nurse, but I do think given her body type and style of play, viewing the development of Katie Douglas on film would be a terrific place to start in terms of developing her game.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 05/16/18 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 05/16/18 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Based on what? If the Turkish Finals end in 4, she'll have four days to make it back to the US for New York's second game. I dunno where you're getting six from.

Basing it on the Finals going 5 games.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/16/18 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it expected that she will need some time off in that equation?

toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Basing it on the Finals going 5 games.

Adding all of two or three more days...

Whatever the number of games turns out to be, temporary suspension is an option right (for Kia)? If Piph is also in a long-term injury situation, then Vaughn would have to only miss two games in order to enable Coleman, Zahui and Russell to all make the team and stay aboard as long as Boyd and Piph are out.

I'm kind of assuming both players are and will be out for awhile. We've already been told Boyd won't start the season.

PostPosted: 05/16/18 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Whatever the number of games turns out to be, temporary suspension is an option right (for Kia)? If Piph is also in a long-term injury situation, then Vaughn would have to only miss two games in order to enable Coleman, Zahui and Russell to all make the team and stay aboard as long as Boyd and Piph are out.

I'm kind of assuming both players are and will be out for awhile. We've already been told Boyd won't start the season.

Which is it ? I just read a post here that stated coach smith said boyd will "Ready to play on sunday" Question

Quote:
Katie Smith has told STH today that Boyd will be ready to play on Sunday. No status of Prince.
Per Toad and STH's

PostPosted: 05/16/18 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We should have on Sunday.

PG: Hartley/Boyd/LAllen
SG: Rodgers/Nurse
SF: Zellous/Coleman
PF: Charles/Zahui B.
C: Stokes/Russell
IR: Prince
SUSP: Vaughn

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/16/18 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Which is it ? I just read a post here that stated coach smith said boyd will "Ready to play on sunday" Question

Quote:
Katie Smith has told STH today that Boyd will be ready to play on Sunday. No status of Prince.
Per Toad and STH's

Ohhhh. Good catch. I hadn't heard that and if so that's awesome. I was going on something that came from the organization awhile back. Not sure if it was Katie but it was definitely a quote from someone in the organization. I hadn't heard the quote you mention. But if so, that's great.

It would also mean the lack of a hardship roster spot being available. Thus making the roster situation kind of murky.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 05/16/18 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/16/18 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
We should have on Sunday.

PG: Hartley/Boyd/LAllen
SG: Rodgers/Nurse
SF: Zellous/Coleman
PF: Charles/Zahui B.
C: Stokes/Russell
IR: Prince
SUSP: Vaughn

This lineup leaves us with 4 posts, which makes sense. Is Vaughn going to take some time off upon return? It would give more time to sort out the roster situation. Is she allowed to remain suspended once her overseas play ends? These kinds of rules I am not familiar with.

Also, is Piph definitely injured or just a guess?

If Zahui can contribute something, the depth here is really, really good. I am hoping that they can get creative upon Vaughn's return. There's pieces here that they can probably deal for something good. And call me crazy but I like this roster quite a bit. I know people are selling us short but I think this team has a chance to be pretty good. If Boyd is anywhere near the Boyd of old we might be very good. Her infusion of energy off the bench has helped us in the past.

PostPosted: 05/16/18 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Whatever the number of games turns out to be, temporary suspension is an option right (for Kia)?

Depends on the cap situation, more than anything else. If they have enough room to cover 13 players, then yes.

PostPosted: 05/16/18 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Whatever the number of games turns out to be, temporary suspension is an option right (for Kia)?

Depends on the cap situation, more than anything else. If they have enough room to cover 13 players, then yes.

This makes me feel the Liberty will let Vaughn "rest" to fall under this suspension. Then one of L. Allen, Zahui B or Russell get cut when Vaughn is back.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/16/18 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully there's a trade to be had somewhere.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 56 of 90

Jump to: