RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHoops

PostPosted: 05/13/18 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
So is Akhator the biggest lottery pick bust?

Chantelle Anderson from Vandy anyone?

toad455

PostPosted: 05/13/18 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Well, the lottery didn't start until 2010, so.... Plus Anderson did play 5 seasons in the league(2003-2007.)

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
zune69

PostPosted: 05/13/18 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zahui B.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/13/18 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Zahui B.

she's played three seasons [so far]. Still a better accomplishment than Akhator.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
zune69

PostPosted: 05/13/18 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Zahui B.

she's played three seasons [so far]. Still a better accomplishment than Akhator.

Higher draft pick with greater expectations....3.6p/2.3r/40%fg in 8.9mpg.

How many people thought Akhator would be a starter in the WNBA?......Zahui B on the other hand...

pilight

PostPosted: 05/13/18 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Well, the lottery didn't start until 2010, so.... Plus Anderson did play 5 seasons in the league(2003-2007.)

The lottery started in 2002.

PostPosted: 05/13/18 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zahui for sure some thought she was number one pick worthy Laughing probably would have been the top pick if Loyd didn’t declare early.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/13/18 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doesn’t being the biggest reach also make you the biggest bust?

Doesn’t anybody think there’s still more potential in Zahui than say KML?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 05/14/18 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/13/18 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Akhator and Hamblin waived

Thought they'd give Akhator another year at least, but kudos on essentially admitting to making a huge mistake.

Yay!

PostPosted: 05/13/18 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Just goes to show how stacked DAL is this season

SDHoops wrote:
Wow! On paper, the Wings look like the team to beat with the freshest legs.

Maybe. Maybe not. I tend to doubt it, although I'll root for Dallas because of Chong and Stevens.

I've proposed only one trade ever on RebKell -- back in 2005 or so, which would have been league changing -- but I now think there's one trade that would dramatically improve Dallas:

Fred Williams for a cinder block.
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 05/13/18 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Doesn’t anybody think there’s still more potential in Zahui then say KML?

To me, a bust is a player who had high expectations coming into the league and came nowhere close to meeting them.
A reach didn't have as high of expectations, otherwise the basement wouldn't have considered the team crazy to have drafted the player as high as they did, so if they fail, that doesn't make them as much of a bust.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 05/13/18 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
Akhator and Hamblin waived

Thought they'd give Akhator another year at least, but kudos on essentially admitting to making a huge mistake.

Yay!

I feel bad for a player who the team's biggest fan's favorite moment of her was when she got waived. 😭

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/13/18 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I've proposed only one trade ever on RebKell -- back in 2005 or so, which would have been league changing -- but I now think there's one trade that would dramatically improve Dallas:

Fred Williams for a cinder block.

No deal.

One of those is actually of some value. The other is Fred Williams. Unless Fred Williams would be willing to lay down behind my boat trailer to keep it from rolling backwards, then I suppose....

PostPosted: 05/13/18 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You may not like him as a coach but Fred is a truly nice guy. And I'm pretty sure his players like him.

- Amanda Gorman
Mojo

PostPosted: 05/13/18 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

To me, a bust is a player who had high expectations coming into the league and came nowhere close to meeting them.
A reach didn't have as high of expectations, otherwise the basement wouldn't have considered the team crazy to have drafted the player as high as they did, so if they fail, that doesn't make them as much of a bust.

One kind of bust is the front office bust of drafting Akhator too high when she was projected much lower. Otherwise, agreeing with the above statement of high player expectations not met. Then there are those drafted like Butler and Goodwin, good players who don't fall into the bust category, moreso just didn't make it due to the team is deeper than a couple of years ago.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/13/18 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

The team that picked Shaqhator at #3 surely had high expectations of her or they’d be a Miller to pick her that high.

Shaq being gone after one season of little use has to near the top of futility in recent times. Maybe someone will still pick her up and she can revive her career, so this talk may be premature.

Anybody remember the #2 pick in 2007, Jessica Davenport?
Or how about the #1 pick in 2003, LaToya Thomas?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme

PostPosted: 05/14/18 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
You may not like him as a coach but Fred is a truly nice guy. And I'm pretty sure his players like him.

The thing about a nice person who is incompetent is that they are still incompetent.

PostPosted: 05/14/18 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

The team that picked Shaqhator at #3 surely had high expectations of her or they’d be a Miller to pick her that high.

Shaq being gone after one season of little use has to near the top of futility in recent times. Maybe someone will still pick her up and she can revive her career, so this talk may be premature.

LaToya Thomas was actually effective in cleveland she just happened to be in a draft with a stallion by the name of Cheryl Ford.

PostPosted: 05/14/18 2:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

LaToya Thomas was actually effective in cleveland she just happened to be in a draft with a stallion by the name of Cheryl Ford.

Yeah she was ok for a while. Certainly not the first name I'd think of when the topic of draft busts is raised. (My go-to is typically Tausha Mills. Not technically a lottery pick, but a #2 overall pick)
Having a nickname that involves "Shaq" doesn't seem to be a great omen for WNBA success.

PostPosted: 05/14/18 4:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

It doesnt help their defense though..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 05/14/18 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So they cut both akhator and Hamblin. It seems to me that the Breanna Lewis v. Hamblin decision came right down to the wire. In the 3d Q after the bogus O fouls on Liz they went with Hamblin 1st. That was when they tied it up. Then the Wings swapped Ruth for Breanna and there was a clear swing in momentum. We had discussed how much stronger and faster she appeared during the game. I think this last trial may have seen Breanna play her way into the team this season.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 05/14/18 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m also excited about the development of Chong. Defensively she has some great instincts. And on offense she seems much steadier in not letting the pesky William get to her. She created a good looking shot on 2 occasions when needed but mostly seemed to confidently run the point. Worried about her 3 point shot. Recalling last season was not always reliable, but if she were to get that in a groove she’d be a nightmare for other teams given the options on the Wings team

AND speaking of options, this team appears to be a stable of top quality race horses. Given the depth, I kind of am hoping for a 10-11 player rotation (essentially everyone except Plaisance as I don’t know if she can keep up) and wearing other teams down with shorter benches. Hopefullly by playoffs the Wings will find themselves on top as other teams are running on empty.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/14/18 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
2017 #3 draft pick Akhator? Question

Now if Curt Miller had any inkling of intregrity, he’d drop George, who only cost him a #21 pick (could have had Russell or Musina), and pick up Shaqhator, who he claimed was a clear Top 8 pick in 2017 and publicly disparaged anyone who thought otherwise (just about everybody).

Then if he wanted to keep Laney, he’d have to drop BJones.

Curt Miller better grab a tissue box because he has some tough decisions to make. But now that he’s starting his third year, maybe he’s getting more used to the tough decisions.

Remind me why you dislike Curt Miller so intensely?

He seems pretty bland to me, so the fervor seems out of place ... but I'm sure there are reasons.

PostPosted: 05/14/18 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Shades wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
2017 #3 draft pick Akhator? Question

Now if Curt Miller had any inkling of intregrity, he’d drop George, who only cost him a #21 pick (could have had Russell or Musina), and pick up Shaqhator, who he claimed was a clear Top 8 pick in 2017 and publicly disparaged anyone who thought otherwise (just about everybody).

Then if he wanted to keep Laney, he’d have to drop BJones.

Curt Miller better grab a tissue box because he has some tough decisions to make. But now that he’s starting his third year, maybe he’s getting more used to the tough decisions.

Remind me why you dislike Curt Miller so intensely?

He seems pretty bland to me, so the fervor seems out of place ... but I'm sure there are reasons.

Miller made a joke to the media about "basement dwellers" not having as much insight about what goes on during draft night as, you know, the actual people who make those decisions, and Shades took it very personally for some reason. Kind of strange because everyone else here thought it was funny, but you know what they say about a hit dog hollering...

tfan

PostPosted: 05/14/18 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I seem to remember reading that WNBA teams don't get to work out or meet with potential draft picks. Although I don't remember any justification for that. But when you can't meet with players like Zahui and Akhator, you may not notice that their roster height boost is two inches more than their peers. And thinking they are two inches taller than they are can raise their rating quite a bit.

I don't see any evidence that Fred Williams is incompetent or worthless.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 29 of 41

Jump to: