RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

'Area 21' authentically embraces women athletes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 05/10/18 11:02 pm    ::: 'Area 21' authentically embraces women athletes Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/espnw/culture/article/23435084/area-21-authentically-embraces-women-athletes?addata=espnw:womenbb:index

WNBA players seem to love ripped jeans.

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/11/18 2:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Outstanding article. I love watching Area 21.

I also love this snippet:

Quote:
Parker's over trying to convince Joes her age to respect the game; she's too busy raising the next generation with the right attitude.

"We're now starting at the youth level," says Parker. "As a woman athlete I know that there's roughly the same amount of guys coming up asking for autographs on my jersey as there are girls. Times are changing. I don't think my daughter has ever heard 'You play like a girl' because that's not acceptable nowadays. We're starting with the correct generation. The generation that I believe has it wrong? Well, I don't have any words for them."

No words necessary. Just point them to Thursday nights on TNT, where one of the greatest of all time is chopping it up with WNBA players on the regular, helping them put old stereotypes to rest with every travel debate and "Heat Check" hot streak.

This is what I've been saying on these boards for years. Existence, however it is done, is a huge win for the WNBA. Getting caught up in ratings or how it is a "niche" sport is a waste. The league is helping redefine the concept of "athlete" for the next generation (and will do even more for the one that follows), and that is everything. Eventually, when society's gender biases cease to define what people consider "exciting" athletics, women's sports will finally start to rival the men in popularity. But changing society is something that happens over decades and decades, so we just need to be patient, work on the youth, and survive as best we can.

PostPosted: 05/11/18 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Outstanding article. I love watching Area 21.

I also love this snippet:

Quote:
Parker's over trying to convince Joes her age to respect the game; she's too busy raising the next generation with the right attitude.

"We're now starting at the youth level," says Parker. "As a woman athlete I know that there's roughly the same amount of guys coming up asking for autographs on my jersey as there are girls. Times are changing. I don't think my daughter has ever heard 'You play like a girl' because that's not acceptable nowadays. We're starting with the correct generation. The generation that I believe has it wrong? Well, I don't have any words for them."

No words necessary. Just point them to Thursday nights on TNT, where one of the greatest of all time is chopping it up with WNBA players on the regular, helping them put old stereotypes to rest with every travel debate and "Heat Check" hot streak.

This is what I've been saying on these boards for years. Existence, however it is done, is a huge win for the WNBA. Getting caught up in ratings or how it is a "niche" sport is a waste. The league is helping redefine the concept of "athlete" for the next generation (and will do even more for the one that follows), and that is everything. Eventually, when society's gender biases cease to define what people consider "exciting" athletics, women's sports will finally start to rival the men in popularity. But changing society is something that happens over decades and decades, so we just need to be patient, work on the youth, and survive as best we can.

I agree up to the point about "gender biases ceasing to define" -- it took thousands of years of culture to get us to where we are today in terms of gender roles and definitions, and I think it will take decades, if not centuries, to redress that imbalance.

I hope I'm wrong, of course, because as Leonard Cohen said 50 years ago, "I wish the women would hurry up and take over."

PostPosted: 05/13/18 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker also is quoted as saying that NBA players respect female players. That it's the ones who don't play basketball who generally don't respect the women players. I made this point last year and was asked if I had done a study to prove it. NBA players can be seen at every WNBA game.

PostPosted: 05/13/18 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Parker also is quoted as saying that NBA players respect female players. That it's the ones who don't play basketball who generally don't respect the women players. I made this point last year and was asked if I had done a study to prove it. NBA players can be seen at every WNBA game.

And then there’s Nick Young...
Quote:
I promise if Ig models made it to the WNBA they would be lit and the bag 💰.... I said it first

https://twitter.com/nickswagypyoung/status/995065949832167424?s=21
Rolling Eyes

pilight

PostPosted: 05/13/18 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

And then there’s Nick Young...
Quote:
I promise if Ig models made it to the WNBA they would be lit and the bag 💰.... I said it first

https://twitter.com/nickswagypyoung/status/995065949832167424?s=21
Rolling Eyes

Gotta be careful with too broad generalizations. Gilbert Arenas also played in the NBA and had no respect for the women's game.

PostPosted: 05/13/18 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back when I made my point, I didn’t mean it for every single player. Just that it’s more likely for other pro basketball players to respect the W then it is for an everyday male.

PostPosted: 05/13/18 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Back when I made my point, I didn’t mean it for every single player. Just that it’s more likely for other pro basketball players to respect the W then it is for an everyday male.

Agreed.

PostPosted: 05/13/18 12:20 pm    ::: Re: 'Area 21' authentically embraces women athletes Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
http://www.espn.com/espnw/culture/article/23435084/area-21-authentically-embraces-women-athletes?addata=espnw:womenbb:index

WNBA players seem to love ripped jeans.

lol A lil ripped jeans is cool but Sue & EDD kinda of ripped jean just looks tacky.

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 05/13/18 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This year the Mercury are offering a season ticket plan that is $200 for a parent and child under 18. The idea behind it is to make the games affordable while providing a way to get the younger generation to games and to learn to love the experience. Just one way they are trying to each out and teach the younger generation.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 05/13/18 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's great that Area 21 is showing love to wnba players & it's nice to see them on the show talking bball because I like hearing their thoughts on the game they love.

"NBA players respect female players it's the ones that dont play that disrepect woman players"
You respect things and or appreciate things more when u know from first hand experience the amount of work they put their jobs. I always find it ironic when some nba fans say the W is boring because they play under the rim but the likes of Irving Curry are among the top of nba players jersey sell list. If you can get excited about watching those two guys play then I can't fathom why you can't watch the likes of DT Skylar Toliver Gray Sims wnba players that can do the same things. As far as dunking it's cool but so is seeing plays like Shoni hitting a layup over her head over BG.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: