RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SC Plans Statue of A'ja Wilson
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/12/18 6:52 pm    ::: SC Plans Statue of A'ja Wilson Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Basketball star A'ja Wilson is getting a statue at South Carolina.

University President Harris Pastides closed graduation ceremonies Saturday by announcing the school plans to build a statue of the national player of the year.

The project must be approved by the school's board of trustees.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23482425/south-carolina-plans-statue-former-hoops-star-aja-wilson

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this.

How many other college athletes have statues of them on campus? She's a great player, but this seems a little much.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/12/18 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A bit much...but whatever floats their boat.

- Amanda Gorman
StevenHW

PostPosted: 05/13/18 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If that’s the case, then perhaps UConn should erect statues of some of their star players (Lobo, Taurasi, Bird, Cash, Dolson, Moore, among others), as well as Coach Geno! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 05/13/18 4:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An article or announcement of this sort is normally published on the first day of April on some Clemson sports forum. SMH.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/13/18 6:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rather than just honoring their school's greatest WBB player, is this more an attempt to bolster the program's prominence, gain publicity, and aid recruiting?

pilight

PostPosted: 05/13/18 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unlike some schools, South Carolina doesn't have a bunch of national championships. The WCBB one from 2017 was only the 4th in school history (two in men's baseball and one in women's outdoor track & field).

The only other SC athlete with a statue on campus is George Rogers, a football player. He thinks Wilson is deserving of a statue:

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-womens-basketball/article207616399.html

Quote:
Rogers thinks so.

“To me,” he said, “she's probably the best athlete to ever come through South Carolina.”

PostPosted: 05/13/18 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems a bit much, but since this doesn't actually affect my life in any way, I have a hard time working up much in the way of Internet Outrage over it..
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/13/18 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why should this bother or offend anyone, especially on a site devoted to female basketball players?

As pilight has pointed out, Wilson was perhaps SCar's most successful athlete, and a local palmetto gal to boot.

Springfield College has a statue of James Naismith.

Notre Dame has a statue outside its basketball stadium of former athletic director Edward "Moose" Krause smoking a cigar. Elsewhere, they have statues of Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, Holtz, Mary and Jesus.

Outside its basketball arena UConn has a statue of a dog named Jonathan.

Georgetown may have a statue of a Hoya, draped in mystery.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/13/18 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Why should this bother or offend anyone, especially on a site devoted to female basketball players?

As pilight has pointed out, Wilson was perhaps SCar's most successful athlete, and a local palmetto gal to boot.

Notre Dame has a statue outside its basketball stadium of former athletic director Edward "Moose" Krause smoking a cigar. Elsewhere, they have statues of Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, Holtz, Mary and Jesus.

Not quite the same.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.

Last edited by Ex-Ref on 05/14/18 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 05/13/18 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

HELLO!!!!

To me the fact that South Carolina, a state not exactly known for its commitment to diversity, will have a statue of an African-American female basketball player on the grounds of its flagship state university is much bigger than basketball. Anyone that can't see that, is as much as I hate to use the term " a hater" plain and simple.

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/13/18 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Amen.

This should be something to be thrilled about. In what world is this a bad thing?

PostPosted: 05/14/18 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't see where anyone was outraged, bothered, offended, hating, or anything of the sort.

What did I miss?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/14/18 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I didn't see where anyone was outraged, bothered, offended, hating, or anything of the sort.

What did I miss?

Read some of the first few posts .

PostPosted: 05/14/18 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

What did I miss?

Read some of the first few posts .

I have. All I'm seeing is what appears to be people thinking that it 'is a little odd, but whatever.'

willtalk

PostPosted: 05/14/18 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It also sort of implies that SC doesn't think they will ever have another NC or NPOY ever again. Sort of silly if you ask me.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/14/18 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
It also sort of implies that SC doesn't think they will ever have another NC or NPOY ever again. Sort of silly if you ask me.

Having a statue of your first doesn't seem that odd. A Lobo statue would be appropriate for UConn.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/14/18 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
willtalk wrote:

Having a statue of your first doesn't seem that odd. A Lobo statue would be appropriate for UConn.

Lol. Laughing

No! Mad

I'm not offended at all. I think it's idiotic (and would feel the same way if UConn did such a thing.)

ETA: Even if it was a statute of my ALL-TIME favorite Huskie, Moriah Jefferson.

Last edited by cthskzfn on 05/14/18 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
rykhala

PostPosted: 05/14/18 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are thousands (a million?) of statues spread throughout the United States. Of those many monuments, the majority were erected to honor white men. Personally, I celebrate the effort to erect any statues that celebrate women and people of color. With all of the controversy surrounding the removal of statues, especially in the South, I find it odd that this move is not celebrated more widely.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/14/18 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a statue of Sheryl Swoopes in Lubbock and she only won 1 Title , so i dont see whats so weird about Aja Wilson having hers.

PostPosted: 05/14/18 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
willtalk wrote:

But what about Kerry Bascom? Wink

CBiebel

PostPosted: 05/14/18 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
There's a statue of Sheryl Swoopes in Lubbock and she only won 1 Title , so i dont see whats so weird about Aja Wilson having hers.

Was it erected right after she graduated or years later? Part of the puzzlement here I think is because it's so soon. Generally people get statues long after their accomplishments have happened.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/14/18 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Was it erected right after she graduated or years later? Part of the puzzlement here I think is because it's so soon. Generally people get statues long after their accomplishments have happened.

Would it be this big of a deal if they waited a few years ? If anything the moment would lose its prestige after Wilson has graduated 5 years down the road. I like the idea of doing it the same year she graduates as an appreciation to a player who changed the landscape for that program. Lord knows they most likely will never reach those heights again . Embarassed

PostPosted: 05/15/18 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Would it be this big of a deal if they waited a few years ? If anything the moment would lose its prestige after Wilson has graduated 5 years down the road. I like the idea of doing it the same year she graduates as an appreciation to a player who changed the landscape for that program. Lord knows they most likely will never reach those heights again . Embarassed

Most of the time schools will honor a player by retiring their number or inducting them into a "Ring of Honor" or something like that. I don't think anyone here would bat an eye at one of those things being done.

Statues are very rare, though, especially for players.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/15/18 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:

Statues are very rare, though, especially for players.

Statues are fairly common for coaches (Notre Dame has at least four such statues on campus). Players are less common. The vast majority are of football players; like this one:

There are a few statues of women coaches. Summitt and Conradt, for example. Statues of women athletes are virtually unheard of.

PostPosted: 05/15/18 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Which horse is Moaning Muffet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: