RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/07/18 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Any news on Walker transferring yet ? Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

W you are such a naughty individual, can't you tell when someone needs therapy Laughing

I do apologize its all fun and games im just excited too see the die hard posters. Literal Die hards Laughing

PostPosted: 05/08/18 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/08/18 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"For those wondering when former A&M forward Anriel Howard will announce her grad transfer destination, source indicated to me it won't be until Thursday at the very earliest #Gamecocks remain in contention alongside MSU, UConn, FSU"

https://twitter.com/GregHadley9/status/993630441042272258

If Howard actually (and factually) considers UConn to be "in contention", wouldn't that mean she did get an offer?
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/08/18 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
"For those wondering when former A&M forward Anriel Howard will announce her grad transfer destination, source indicated to me it won't be until Thursday at the very earliest #Gamecocks remain in contention alongside MSU, UConn, FSU"

If Howard actually (and factually) considers UConn to be "in contention", wouldn't that mean she did get an offer?

Sounds wierd , per UCONN nation they did not offer her but might have to Dani Williams, but they are "In Contention" Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 05/08/18 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A Paige of history:

- 20 years ago Kobe Bryant might have called her the White Mamba
- 45 years ago in Rucker Park they might have called her Lady Magic
- 325 years ago in Salem, Massachusetts, they might have burned her at the stake

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-jUi-hbRi5E" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 05/08/18 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="GlennMacGrady"]"For those wondering when former A&M forward Anriel Howard will announce her grad transfer destination, source indicated to me it won't be until Thursday at the very earliest #Gamecocks remain in contention alongside MSU, [b]UConn[/b], FSU"

[url]https://twitter.com/GregHadley9/status/993630441042272258[/url]

If Howard actually (and factually) considers UConn to be "in contention", wouldn't that mean she did get an offer?[/quote]

Nope she didn’t. I will DM you.

linkster

PostPosted: 05/08/18 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Sounds wierd , per UCONN nation they did not offer her but might have to Dani Williams, but they are "In Contention" Laughing Laughing

UConn nation, like a lot of other fan bases, often says a lot more than they actually know.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 05/08/18 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Well I for one am relieved that we didn't offer a player who at this late hour would have been EXACTLY what we needed to make up for Z leaving and which would solve one of the biggest issues that led to our downfall- rebounding. Brilliant move. Let's play Kyla Irwin down low next year!

Praise Jesus.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/09/18 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hows Courtney Ekmark doing.

linkster

PostPosted: 05/09/18 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Well I for one am relieved that we didn't offer a player who at this late hour would have been EXACTLY what we needed to make up for Z leaving and which would solve one of the biggest issues that led to our downfall- rebounding. Brilliant move. Let's play Kyla Irwin down low next year!

Praise Jesus.

A 5'11" forward is not a replacement for 6'6" Stevens. OK, I take that back. A 5'11" forward is a shitty replacement.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 05/09/18 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Praise Jesus.

A 5'11" forward is not a replacement for 6'6" Stevens. OK, I take that back. A 5'11" forward is a shitty replacement.

It's May. A player who set a school record for rebounding and put up 26 and 14 against the school that knocked you out is about as good as a replacement as you could possibly get at this late stage.

But hey, the players who fell flat on their face the last 2 years probably didn't like her so I guess it's all good. Meg Walker our starting center baby. That will work.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/09/18 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

A 5'11" forward could be a good replacement for the starting 5'11" forward they lost. But she didn't appear to have the persona that Auriemma selects, although I'm not quite sure how to characterize that.

linkster

PostPosted: 05/09/18 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
linkster wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Praise Jesus.

It's May. A player who set a school record for rebounding and put up 26 and 14 against the school that knocked you out is about as good as a replacement as you could possibly get at this late stage.

But hey, the players who fell flat on their face the last 2 years probably didn't like her so I guess it's all good. Meg Walker our starting center baby. That will work.

You are the only one making the ridiculous statement that Walker will be the center. You are also the only one equating making the FF as an undefeated team and losing in OT to "falling flat on one's face". I'm still waiting for you to take me up on that "no more 30 win seasons" bet. I'll offer you another grand bet that even if UConn doesn't pick up another player Walker will not be the center next season.

I imagine you headless, running around your living room screaming bloody murder all day.

Watch out Mr Little. That sky is about to hit you in the head. LOL

acsuc99

PostPosted: 05/09/18 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OH Chicken little! I just checked Wikipedia and yup...Notre Dame is still the 2018 Champion. It appears this chicken should keep clucking because his worries were proven right. You were of course wrong! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! I am running around my living room as I type this just for you.

If Walker isn't the center who will be? Olivia Nelson? As we found out last year Geno doesn't play freshman much. And if Nelson starts does that mean Walker is coming off the bench a 2nd straight year? Insult to injury.

If you are bothered by the 30 win comment maybe u should write an email to Lord Auriemma because he was the one who made it.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 05/09/18 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Azura Stevens hit 2 3's in her WNBA debut. Scored 19 points. Surprised

linkster

PostPosted: 05/09/18 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
OH Chicken little! I just checked Wikipedia and yup...Notre Dame is still the 2018 Champion. It appears this chicken should keep clucking because his worries were proven right. You were of course wrong! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! I am running around my living room as I type this just for you.

If Walker isn't the center who will be? Olivia Nelson? As we found out last year Geno doesn't play freshman much. And if Nelson starts does that mean Walker is coming off the bench a 2nd straight year? Insult to injury.

If you are bothered by the 30 win comment maybe u should write an email to Lord Auriemma because he was the one who made it.

Notre Dame is still the 2018 Champion. It appears this chicken should keep clucking because his worries were proven right.

So any year UConn doesn't win the NC is "falling on their faces"? That is about as immature an attitude as I have heard.

If you are bothered by the 30 win comment maybe u should write an email to Lord Auriemma because he was the one who made it

You quoted as evidence. Geno says a lot of things. Many are simply said for effect. Your reaction is but one. Your the one who was bothered by it, not me. I merely suggested that if you really believe it then make a wager with me. Since you never responded I assume you don't agree with it any more than I and are just bloviating.

If Walker isn't the center who will be? Olivia Nelson?

They have no center. UConn has Camara, Collier, KLS, Irwin, Walker & ONO, all of whom are forwards. If you think adding Howard as a 7th forward is the answer then maybe you should drive up to Storrs and give Geno the benefit of your insight. I have no idea who starts or who gets the minutes but I don't think you know either. It's the rare player that Geno anoints a starter 6 months before the season. But I do know that UConn will have depth at forward and there are very few real and elite level centers in wcbb so UConn will figure something out.

As we found out last year Geno doesn't play freshman much

I expect that sort of comment from posters who started watching UConn last November, but you? Do you remember that both Hartley and Dolson started as freshmen? Why? because Geno had no better options. Last year Geno had better options than Walker, who still played as much as Williams did as a freshman. But since UConn won the title in 2015 you had no problem with Williams sitting. Or did you?

The history at Connecticut is filled with players who sat a lot as freshmen and went on to become AA's and 1st round draft picks. I think Walker is a future AA but I don't think she was one last season.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/09/18 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
Azura Stevens hit 2 3's in her WNBA debut. Scored 19 points. Surprised

3-4 from 3 her first game to follow up going O'fer in her 2nd game. Embarassed Embarassed

PostPosted: 05/10/18 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Note that the Golden State Warriors have reverted to a lineup without a center ... and that the trend in the game is to smaller, more versatile players.

And of course, "falling flat on your face" does not equal "losing in overtime in the Final Four on an amazing shot."

PostPosted: 05/10/18 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Note that the Golden State Warriors have reverted to a lineup without a center ... and that the trend in the game is to smaller, more versatile players.

Is that just a men's trend? The last two WNBA finals have been dominated by post play and the Lynx sought to extend their run of titles by acquiring Sylvia Fowles, the best center in the world.

PostPosted: 05/10/18 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Is that just a men's trend? The last two WNBA finals have been dominated by post play and the Lynx sought to extend their run of titles by acquiring Sylvia Fowles, the best center in the world.

An interesting point ... I've never really believed that there's a fundamental difference in successful strategies between the men's and women's game, but I guess it's possible. Still, I tend to think basketball is basketball, regardless of the gender, age, etc., of the participants.

That said, clearly I coach high school girls differently than I would high school boys, and sixth graders differently than seniors, but mostly that's due to the skills and abilities available to those groups. At the highest level, though, is it reasonable to claim that, in general, a successful WNBA team must or should approach the game differently than a successful NBA team?

PostPosted: 05/10/18 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:

An interesting point ... I've never really believed that there's a fundamental difference in successful strategies between the men's and women's game, but I guess it's possible. Still, I tend to think basketball is basketball, regardless of the gender, age, etc., of the participants.

That said, clearly I coach high school girls differently than I would high school boys, and sixth graders differently than seniors, but mostly that's due to the skills and abilities available to those groups. At the highest level, though, is it reasonable to claim that, in general, a successful WNBA team must or should approach the game differently than a successful NBA team?

I don't know that a successful W team must take a different approach, I'm just saying that they do. The top teams in the W are all post oriented. We've had one guard win MVP in this century. The W is trending differently from the NBA.

PostPosted: 05/10/18 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who is available to recruit, and recruit elitely, for UConn at this important summer time of year for the critical class of 2019?

I'm using "critical class" is the context of the surreal expectations of UConn, which wants to have a national championship level, steamroller team after Samuelson and Collier graduate. In that context, UConn must get two or three elite post/wings from the 2019 class and, preferably, a better than Bent/Coombs backup at point guard.

My opening sentence question is motivated by the facts that:

- Marisa Moseley, who Gabby Williams in her diary essentially says was her crucial coach, has likely been "gone from UConn" for probably several weeks before her Boston University public announcement last month.

- Shea Ralph is eight months pregnant, has to be slowing down her activities, and will likely take significant time off after her baby is born.

- Jasmine Lister is a green youngster with unknown credibility levels and rapport skills with elite level recruits.

- Geno and Chris are not spring chickens. If they can land a critical class from 2019, it will be quite an accomplishment. (And then they have to do the same from 2020, also this summer.)

In short, UConn has a short recruiting bench.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/10/18 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:

It's easier to do that when you have a 6'10 small forward who can bring the ball up the court and shoot from 30 feet, or play at the rim, like Golden State does.

And it is largely a men's trend because it's largely in the men's game where you have players the size of centers who have the athleticism, strength, quickness, skill and versatility to play at the other four positions.

When you have players like Magic Johnson and LeBron James and Ben Simmons and Kevin Durant playing all over the floor, it makes for a different type of game. And there just aren't a lot of 6'4" guards in the women's game to create that type of versatility.

If you could come up with a WNBA roster with everyone from 6'2" to 6'4" and the ball skills of a wing, you could win a lot of ball games. You just don't find enough skilled, athletic tall players in the women's game to make that work.

BTW, the Lakers were doing that nearly 30 years ago with players like Magic, Worthy, Cooper and Greene. Throw some 6-6 to 6-9 versatile athletes out there, let them play all over the court, and just win. They had Kareem part of that time, but not at the end of that run when Mychal Thompson, Byron Scott and others rounded out the roster.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/10/18 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Praise Jesus.

The next time bballjunkie admits a player who told Geno to take a hike actually had a UConn offer and turned it down will be the first.

She thinks it's never happened since the dawn of time.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/10/18 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
BTW, the Lakers were doing that nearly 30 years ago with players like Magic, Worthy, Cooper and Greene. Throw some 6-6 to 6-9 versatile athletes out there, let them play all over the court, and just win. They had Kareem part of that time, but not at the end of that run when Mychal Thompson, Byron Scott and others rounded out the roster.

More recently, the Phoenix Suns did it under D'Anotni, using Kurt Thomas and Tim Thomas at center, when both could step out to hit the outside shot...and pairing them with Nash, Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion, Raja Bell, and a number of other players.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 9 of 18

Jump to: