toad455 wrote:

C: Cambage/Akhator

So you go from 6'8" to (maybe) 6'1" for your back up center? Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
Mojo

PostPosted: 05/07/18 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Dallas isn't going to just cut Akhator only because she was the #3 pick. They'll let her ride the bench and she if she improves or trade her for something.

PG: Diggins/Chong/Goodwin
SG: Davis/Gray
SF: Christmas/Powers
PF: Johnson/Stevens/Thornton
SUSP: Plaisance

That center combo is not a good one. Id rather have Lewis or Butler backing up Cambage while T is out.

I don't see us keeping 3 point guards or Akhator as a backup 5 position. Since there has been no new news about Plaisance, is she a possibility returning early enough to not suspend her? Or if suspended, then yes Akhator, but a big instead of 3 PGs. Plaisance yay or nay will determine a lot

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/07/18 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mojo wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Dallas isn't going to just cut Akhator only because she was the #3 pick. They'll let her ride the bench and she if she improves or trade her for something.

PG: Diggins/Chong/Goodwin
SF: Christmas/Powers
PF: Johnson/Stevens/Thornton

That center combo is not a good one. Id rather have Lewis or Butler backing up Cambage while T is out.

I don't see us keeping 3 point guards or Akhator as a backup 5 position. Since there has been no new news about Plaisance, is she a possibility returning early enough to not suspend her? Or if suspended, then yes Akhator, but a big instead of 3 PGs. Plaisance yay or nay will determine a lot

They literally only have 7 perimeter players on the roster. WNBA teams NEED 7 perimeter & 5 interior players for practice & injury reasons. Carrying 6 & 6 messes up the balance and leaves you with a bunch of posts at the end of the bench. It also doesn't really matter because they are absolutely loaded at the 1-3 and neither of those players will see significant time.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/08/18 2:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think teams are getting more versatile players, which is leading to more flexible rosters. 7 perimeter/5 posts is the classic set up but with Plaisance possibly missing some time and not being suspended could lead to a 6 and 6 shape. Combine that with the fact that Thorton can play some 3, and now it is looking like Stevens might play some 3, and Dallas doesn't have to go with 7 traditional perimeter players. Also when you look at the 4 players slotted at the SG/SF spot Gray, Christmas-Kelly, Davis and Powers they can all play either spot on the wing, so Diggins-Smith and one back up PG is enough to cover the 1. I would like both Chong and Goodin to make it but it isn't needed.

I always had Chong beating out Goodwin but thought they could both make it but now I've got

Diggins-Smith/Chong
Gray/Davis
Christmas-Kelly/Powers/Thorton *
Johnson/Stevens/Akhator *
Cambage/Plaisance

* One of Akhator or Thorton could lose their spot to a true Center (Lewis, Hamblin, Butler), or the idea that the Wings will need that 3rd PG option (Goodwin), but I think it shakes out to this, unless Plaisance is out for the season.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/08/18 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's always cutting Goodwin and carrying 6 guards/wings & 6 posts. Though Thornton is that flex 3/4 as is Stevens now.

PG: Diggins/Chong
SF: Christmas/Powers/Thornton
PF: Johnson/Stevens/Akhator
C: Cambage/Lewis, Butler or Hamblin

In the battle of the four unwanted posts, here were their stats from yesterday:

Akhator: 5pts, 4rebs & 1 TO.
Hamblin: 6pts, 4rebs, 1 stl & 1 block.
Butler: 3pts, 1reb, 1 block & 3 TOs.
Lewis: 4pts, 3rebs & 1 TO.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 05/08/18 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why can't Stevens be the backup for both Cambage and Johnson? How is her game all that different from Plaisance?

toad455

PostPosted: 05/08/18 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Why can't Stevens be the backup for both Cambage and Johnson? How is her game all that different from Plaisance?

It seems like Stevens may be used as a 3/4, while Plaisance is more of a 4/5. Don't think Stevens played center at all yesterday.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 05/08/18 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She didn’t but why would they leave Cambage to clean up all that mess defensively. I would think they want her on the floor not on the bench in foul trouble from trying to guard multiple players driving to the rim.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/08/18 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
She didn’t but why would they leave Cambage to clean up all that mess defensively. I would think they want her on the floor not on the bench in foul trouble from trying to guard multiple players driving to the rim.

The great part about this , is IF this was the case . We have people on the bench now who can play multiple positions and fill in for players in foul trouble. Something we could not afford last year especially in the post.

PostPosted: 05/08/18 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still don't see why you would keep Akhator. She's not as good as Thornton. I don't think the bungled #3 pick should be a reason to keep her. In fact, her being there is a continual reminder of how bad that pick was. Drop her, do great this year, and very few except us basement dwellers will remember the pick. And I like the girl. She's just not a W player. And I also don't get all of the sudden Plaisance love. Get real folks - she averaged 7.7 point and 4.3 rebounds while shooting 38%! Is it really all that important how soon she returns?

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/08/18 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I still don't see why you would keep Akhator. She's not as good as Thornton. I don't think the bungled #3 pick should be a reason to keep her. In fact, her being there is a continual reminder of how bad that pick was. Drop her, do great this year, and very few except us basement dwellers will remember the pick. And I like the girl. She's just not a W player.

We have so much historical evidence that GMs just don't like admitting that they made a mistake that quickly, though. Dallas at least got a face-saving 1st-rounder for Zahui B, but there's surely no way they're getting that from anyone for Akhator. Maybe ownership is forgiving enough and there aren't enough fans/media who give a crap for it to matter, but cutting her woud be unusual. And if you're cutting her to keep Hamblin, Lewis or Butler... eh, is it worth it?

myrtle wrote:
And I also don't get all of the sudden Plaisance love. Get real folks - she averaged 7.7 point and 4.3 rebounds while shooting 38%! Is it really all that important how soon she returns?

It's mostly just important for the make up of the roster. They gave her an extension, so she's clearly not getting cut, and much as toad455 always wants to just suspend everyone to make things easier, that's often not an option. So do you just roll with Johnson/Stevens as your backup to Cambage? Or do you have to find room for some other big who can play center, at least until Plaisance is back?

PostPosted: 05/08/18 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
And if you're cutting her to keep Hamblin, Lewis or Butler... eh, is it worth it?

Yeah, if they’re seeing something in one of those players. You’re assuming they have less to offer based on nothing current. They are taller and more of the true center. What has Shaq have to offer? She’s PF height but would rank third on the PF totem pole (4th when Plaisance comes back... not really a center herself until forced into it last year). Shaq isn’t as versatile as Thornton, who proved herself at least as much as Plaisance did last year. So what are we waiting for on Shaq? Are we waiting for her to get taller? Are we waiting for her to develop a three point shot? Are we waiting for Glory Johnson to retire? What are we waiting for?

myrtle wrote:
And I also don't get all of the sudden Plaisance love. Get real folks - she averaged 7.7 point and 4.3 rebounds while shooting 38%! Is it really all that important how soon she returns?

She’s taking up a roster spot unless she’s suspended. It’s Dallas that has the love for her.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Mojo

PostPosted: 05/08/18 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last year when a major cog went down (Paris), Plaisance came off the bench and was good enough to keep Lewis mostly on the bench, keeping the cogs turning. She upped her game when called upon. Plaisance can stretch a defense with shots that not all bigs have, a turn around fall away shot, shoots a 3 (3rd in % on team), and took a steal the distance for a layup. Lewis and Hamblin have not unveiled those kinds of shots and abilities, though Butler has a 15ft turn around high release slight fall away shot. Both Plaisance and Butler fall in the category of big with some versatility, and the league seems to be getting bigger and more versatile per player.
Plaisance is a major contributor when on the bench, and along with Powers, roots loudly for the team on the playing floor, being the most significant to encourage with positive reinforcement.

zune69

PostPosted: 05/08/18 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas should cut Plaisance.Her 2017 season wasn't anything special.She put up career numbers but those numbers were still mediocre...38% fg shooting for a 6'5 player is terrible...34% 3 pt shooting is just about average.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/08/18 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Dallas should cut Plaisance.Her 2017 season wasn't anything special.She put up career numbers but those numbers were still mediocre...38% fg shooting for a 6'5 player is terrible...34% 3 pt shooting is just about average.

They just signed her for multi-years. What if they added a guarantee? Seems stupid, but I guess they felt a need to lock her up with Paris leaving.

zune69

PostPosted: 05/08/18 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

They just signed her for multi-years. What if they added a guarantee? Seems stupid, but I guess they felt a need to lock her up with Paris leaving.

Yeah,It was very stupid.Dallas had enough assets to take a wait and see approach.

Mojo

PostPosted: 05/08/18 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hamblin's stats were good

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/09/18 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mojo wrote:
Last year when a major cog went down (Paris), Plaisance came off the bench and was good enough to keep Lewis mostly on the bench, keeping the cogs turning. She upped her game when called upon. Plaisance can stretch a defense with shots that not all bigs have, a turn around fall away shot, shoots a 3 (3rd in % on team), and took a steal the distance for a layup. Lewis and Hamblin have not unveiled those kinds of shots and abilities, though Butler has a 15ft turn around high release slight fall away shot. Both Plaisance and Butler fall in the category of big with some versatility, and the league seems to be getting bigger and more versatile per player.
Plaisance is a major contributor when on the bench, and along with Powers, roots loudly for the team on the playing floor, being the most significant to encourage with positive reinforcement.

I can see that Plaissance can knock down a three but not sure where there is any versatility in Butler. She is a big who can give you some fouls against another big.

chadb

PostPosted: 05/10/18 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2018/05/10/dallas-wings-greg-bibb.html

Exciting stuff on ticket sales:

"Both the number of sponsors and revenue generated from sponsorships is up. On ticket sales, Bibb said the Wings are up 241 percent year-over-year in new season ticket sales, among the top in the league. That puts the total number of season tickets up more than 90 percent this year."

pilight

PostPosted: 05/10/18 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wings have a plan to improve attendance. So far, it's working

Quote:
Bibb has built franchises up before. He once took over an indoor soccer franchise in Detroit. Eighteen months later, the team was playing in front of sold out crowds for the league championship. Bibb is optimistic about the future of the Wings.

PostPosted: 05/10/18 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chadb wrote:

Exciting stuff on ticket sales:

"Both the number of sponsors and revenue generated from sponsorships is up. On ticket sales, Bibb said the Wings are up 241 percent year-over-year in new season ticket sales, among the top in the league. That puts the total number of season tickets up more than 90 percent this year."

Great news. This is what the league needs ...

PostPosted: 05/10/18 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"We’re building a team to compete for a championship," Bibb said. "There’s nothing grey about it. It’s very black and white. You either win, or you lose. And I like that competitive nature of this environment."

Sound Familiar Cool Cool

PostPosted: 05/10/18 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goodwin and Butler waived.

There goes 2/3 of the 2018 draft class.

Saving a spot for Plaisance may have ultimately hurt Goodwin. If a team has room for a third PG, she might be worth trying to develop. Fred described her as pro-ready. That might be a bit exuberant since not even Diggins or Vandersloot we’re pro-ready. They both needed time.

Updating my Dallas depth chart
Diggins/Chong
AGray/Powers/Davis
Christmas-Kelly/Thornton
GJohnson/Stevens/Plaisance(when healthy)
Cambage/(Hamblin vs Lewis)

With the possibility of Shaq bumping off somebody for a spot.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 05/10/18 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Saving a spot for Plaisance may have ultimately hurt Goodwin. If a team has room for a third PG, she might be worth trying to develop. Fred described her as pro-ready. That might be a bit exuberant since not even Diggins or Vandersloot we’re pro-ready. They both needed time.

Diggins/Chong
AGray/Powers/Davis
Christmas-Kelly/Thornton

Damn Sad the W is a cutthroat business

i thought Goodwin would make the team, i guess she didn't impress the coaches in preseason and training camp

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/10/18 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Diggins/Chong
AGray/Powers/Davis
Christmas-Kelly/Thornton

Damn Sad the W is a cutthroat business

i thought Goodwin would make the team, i guess she didn't impress the coaches in preseason and training camp

you thought she would beat out Chong? It's very tough for a first year PG to beat out someone experienced. My guess - it still wasn't the easiest of cuts and if she isn't picked up somewhere else, they would probably bring her back if they got hit by injury.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 27 of 41

Jump to: