RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Welcome to the W.N.B.A.: Good Luck Finding a Job
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/07/18 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
One way to make expansion teams more successful would be to adjust the expansion draft so that the best team (LA, MN now) would have less players that they could protect than middling teams. Lottery teams could protect more.

I think you'd really struggle to get the owners/GMs of the good teams to sign off on that. "Why should we have to give up more just because we've been better at acquiring/building/developing talent than they have?" Generally they're giving up a better player anyway because they've got more talent to start with. How about a system that doesn't allow teams to choose who they're protecting? Some sort of statistical metric that decides your four or five best players from last year, and they're safe, then you get one wild-card pick on top. Most of the time that wouldn't make much difference, but it'd mean the important vets would probably be forced into the 'protected' groups, and more young talent might be available to the expansion teams. It'd also limit the "she's a 'free agent', we don't need to protect her" moves you inevitably see.

I'm not sure what the answer is; I just feel like more thought needs to be put into it.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/07/18 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
It seems to be hard for some W fans to understand that there is, relatively speaking, little interest in the sport.

The fact that the league must be run in the summer is the first clue. That salaries are pathetic is another. TV ratings drive home the point.

Expansion is the last thing the league needs, imo. If anything, it should lose 2 more teams to continue to improve the product and give its fans mo better ball.

In the meantime, forget about it becoming something other than a niche sport/league. Never gonna happen, unfortunately.

I think we're all pretty well aware that this is a niche sport with limited interest. Does that mean everyone should give up on it ever being more than that? Sports do grow in interest. Since I was a kid, America's lack of interest in soccer was a running joke. Now you've got MLS surviving for decades, thriving in some places, and American sports sites and writers actually paying attention to the Premier League and Champions League. Things do change.

As for shrinking the league to improve the product, at what point does tedium become a bigger issue than 'quality of basketball'? Because surely, theoretically, if all we were interested in was the quality of the play we'd only need 24 players - two teams, playing each other over and over again. But it'd be great basketball, because it'd only be the best 24 players on the planet. Personally, I'd be bored to fucking tears. Even with the current twelve, and obviously as a big fan, I'm often left thinking things like "wait, didn't we watch Atlanta play Chicago last week?" It gets tedious watching the same damn teams play each other repeatedly. I'd like four more teams just to increase the variety. Different teams take on personalities, create their own narratives, and even have their own playing styles to make the league more interesting.

Once we had a few years to spread the talent base back out - because expansion teams inevitably suck to start with - I don't think the quality of play would be much different. We'd recalibrate on the fly as to what a good player was, and who was an effective role player, or whatever. And because stars would still work themselves into clumps on good teams, just like we've seen repeatedly in the NBA over recent decades, we'd still get top quality play at the top end. Maybe LA's hypothetical backcourt would've been Sims/Williams instead of Gray/Sims, or Minnesota would've had Sugar Rodgers on the perimeter or Damiris Dantas at center, but we'd still get star teams. Then a load of middling ones and a few crappy ones. The league would cope.

I'm not sure the history of the MLS has much to offer re: projections for the WNBA since the MLS offers the U.S. public the best soccer it can see in country.

PostPosted: 05/10/18 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprise to learn Loryn Goodwin has been waived this early. I wanted the Mystics to draft Loryn Goodwin in the 2nd round but the Dallas Wings selected her with the 18 pick of the 2018 WNBA Draft, the Mystics had the 19th pick and selected Hines-Allen.

Thus far, I believe as a write this post Loryn Goodwin is the highest 2018 WNBA draftee who has been waived.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/11/18 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I'm surprise to learn Loryn Goodwin has been waived this early. I wanted the Mystics to draft Loryn Goodwin in the 2nd round but the Dallas Wings selected her with the 18 pick of the 2018 WNBA Draft, the Mystics had the 19th pick and selected Hines-Allen.

Thus far, I believe as a write this post Loryn Goodwin is the highest 2018 WNBA draftee who has been waived.

....speaking of which....

Is there a place here or another site that has the updated list of waivers??

I can't find it on the .com, or espn.

PostPosted: 05/11/18 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

....speaking of which....

Is there a place here or another site that has the updated list of waivers??

I can't find it on the .com, or espn.

They will get announced on Twitter, and maybe other places sooner, but in theory, they all shown up here eventually.

http://www.wnba.com/transactions/

Shades

PostPosted: 05/11/18 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:

Yep, she’ll likely end up being the highest cut. Just goes to show you how surprisingly deep are the Wings.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/11/18 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Yep, she’ll likely end up being the highest cut. Just goes to show you how surprisingly deep are the Wings.

I agree that Goodwin will most likely be the highest cut, but I don't think Nared at 13, or Gulich at 12 are complete locks yet, and there is enough competition in Conn that L. Brown could get bumped if the Sun keep both Romero and Banham.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/11/18 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, tfan....I KNOW it's always there, but I cannot ever find it! Razz

PostPosted: 05/11/18 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

I agree that Goodwin will most likely be the highest cut, but I don't think Nared at 13, or Gulich at 12 are complete locks yet, and there is enough competition in Conn that L. Brown could get bumped if the Sun keep both Romero and Banham.

Even though Aces camp is remarkably competitive, I think Laimbeer will find a way to keep Nared. As far as Gulich goes, did PHX even set her up with any sort of competition? She showed up in the preseason game. I consider her a lock. The whole first round is a lock for me. Miller took a lot of heat for trading EWill so that he could draft Banham. Banham has struggled with injuries her whole career and has managed to survive. I can’t see Miller cutting a healthy Lexie Brown after a few weeks. Just too much potential there, not to mention the heat he’d get wasting the pick. She’s a lock.

I’m projecting 100% survival rate for first round picks.

For second round, I’m projecting 66.7% survival rate including deferrals.
Goodwin, Scaife, and Lawrence have already been cut. I’m adding Musina to the cut list... hard to say if another team will pick her up.
I think there’s a chance Shakayla Thomas could be cut or traded. If she’s cut, she’s likely to get picked up, so I consider her a survivor.

Third round is looking bleak. Only likely survivors will be the two deferrals. Maybe an outside chance #36 makes the team later when they can afford 12 player roster. Talk of Stewart being used at SF plus Clark getting a multi-year deal makes it seem like there won’t be much room for Muldrow.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Howee

PostPosted: 05/17/18 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Names like Hooper, Larkins, Allen, Peters, Russell, and R. Gray waived: Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: