RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Reeve: No White House Invite
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 05/04/18 9:06 pm    ::: Reeve: No White House Invite Reply Reply with quote

"Probably because we're a women's sport".

Quote:
However, several major professional teams have received and accepted invitations to the White House since Trump's arrival, including the NFL's Super Bowl LI champion New England Patriots, MLB champion Houston Astros, NHL champion Pittsburgh Penguins and NCAA football champion, Alabama. In late April, a Philadelphia Eagles spokesman told The New York Times that the team is "discussing the logistics of an upcoming visit to Washington."

Given those trips, Reeve said, the absence of an invitation for the champion of the most popular women's professional sports league stands out.

"That’s the disappointment, is, what’s going on here?" she told The Post. "Let’s not perpetuate this antiquated narrative that women are less than men, because we’re not. And that has to change."

Preach, Coach Reeve. Preach!

PostPosted: 05/04/18 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach Reeve is probably right on why they didnt get a invite & I repect her for saying it.Trump is a racist & sexist so why do the Lynx want a invite anyway I doubt players like Whalen Moore Mone wanna go see him Brunson basically said she rather go on Ellen when they won.

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/05/18 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's about the offer and being treated equally to the men. Perhaps they would ultimately decide not to go, but it should be their decision to make.

PostPosted: 05/05/18 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OTOH, why should the White House issue an invitation to a team whose members are already saying they should go on Ellen? If you're hosting an event, do you set yourself up for rejection like this? This is a fun, public relations type of event, not a diplomatic dinner where invitations have to be sent and protocols followed. Trump withdrew an invite from the Warriors for the same reason, so this is not a "sexist" decision. This is like 5 year olds whining about not being asked over for a play date with a kid they don't like anyway. Sheesh.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/05/18 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having a Lynx player early on saying she’d refuse to go to the White House is excuse enough for Trump not to issue an invite. Probably would have been smarter to remain universally uncommitted or maybe even a little positive about the possibility until you actually get the invite.
http://m.startribune.com/rebekkah-brunson-says-she-wouldn-t-go-if-lynx-invited-to-white-house/449693073/

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 05/05/18 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn Staley said quite publicly that she and her team would go to the White House. Still no invitation. WCBB champs had been invited every year since the Reagan administration.

PostPosted: 05/05/18 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are people actually surprised the women's teams aren't being invited or is this faux shock? Because I can't imagine anyone who has been paying attention for the last few decades of Trump's very public life would be actually surprised by this. It's horrible, but this is who he has been and how he has treated women for decades.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/05/18 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Are people actually surprised the women's teams aren't being invited or is this faux shock? Because I can't imagine anyone who has been paying attention for the last few decades of Trump's very public life would be actually surprised by this. It's horrible, but this is who he has been and how he has treated women for decades.

Yes. Well said. And I respect everyone from the Lynx who spoke out when they did. No need to wait around for an invitation from this ugly bigot, whether he'd have invited them or not.

PostPosted: 05/05/18 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She should consider herself and the team fortunate. Who wants to present a jersey to someone whose policies represent systemic racism?

PostPosted: 05/05/18 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
OTOH, why should the White House issue an invitation to a team whose members are already saying they should go on Ellen? If you're hosting an event, do you set yourself up for rejection like this? This is a fun, public relations type of event, not a diplomatic dinner where invitations have to be sent and protocols followed. Trump withdrew an invite from the Warriors for the same reason, so this is not a "sexist" decision. This is like 5 year olds whining about not being asked over for a play date with a kid they don't like anyway. Sheesh.

Because this is the Presidency, not a backyard BBQ. Even if you know for a fact they are going to decline, the right thing to do is still offer. By not offering, Trump is making this all about him rather than the people. That means this is all about his poor, fragile ego, and the lack of any sort of acknowledgement is proof of his sexism.

Not to mention, if it really bothers Trump so much when teams decline his invitations, perhaps he should not do the things that make him so reviled, and then like every other president, he wouldn't have to worry about it.

PostPosted: 05/05/18 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
She should consider herself and the team fortunate. Who wants to present a jersey to someone whose policies represent systemic racism?

I doubt they wanted to go; they wanted the opportunity to say no.

PostPosted: 05/05/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and Libra girl... you're an idiot....the team has been disrespectful already...don't blame the white house for not inviting....

jmpenn90

PostPosted: 05/05/18 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
and Libra girl... you're an idiot....the team has been disrespectful already...don't blame the white house for not inviting....

And Trump is disrespectful all of the time just like you were by calling someone an idiot.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 05/05/18 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
And you are not being disrespectful by calling me a idiot? I doubt Trump even knew what Brunson even said to not even give a invite to the white house.I didnt even blame the white house for not inviting I was just wondering why Coach Reeves wants one when one of her own players said she's not going Im sure she is not the only lynx team member to feel that way.Plus Coach Reeve knows LA Gamecocks didnt get a invite either so she shouldnt have expected one. Maybe Trump should ask himself why teams don't wanna come to the WH with him there but that means looking in the mirror to see his flaws.

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/05/18 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:

"Irony is a disciplinarian feared only by those who do not know it, but cherished by those who do."

-Kierkegaard

(There is also an Oscar Wilde quote that would be quite apropos here, but irony on top of irony is more than I can handle Cool)

PostPosted: 05/05/18 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with Richyyy and my opinion of Trump doesn't change one iota because he failed to give an invite to the Lynx. This is simply Trump doing what I expect him to do.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/05/18 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Because this is the Presidency, not a backyard BBQ. Even if you know for a fact they are going to decline, the right thing to do is still offer. By not offering, Trump is making this all about him rather than the people. That means this is all about his poor, fragile ego, and the lack of any sort of acknowledgement is proof of his sexism.

Not to mention, if it really bothers Trump so much when teams decline his invitations, perhaps he should not do the things that make him so reviled, and then like every other president, he wouldn't have to worry about it.

Yes, this is the freaking Presidency, and the "right thing" is not for our President to waste his time on this nonsense. Trump, and every other president, would be well-advised to spend their time on the important problems facing this country, not frittering it away on invites for sports champions, regardless of gender or likelihood of accepting the invitation. This petty crap is not why I elect anyone to office (and no, I didn't vote for Trump, and wouldn't vote for him should he choose to run again).

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/05/18 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

Totally with you.

PostPosted: 05/05/18 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
justintyme wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Yes, this is the freaking Presidency, and the "right thing" is not for our President to waste his time on this nonsense. Trump, and every other president, would be well-advised to spend their time on the important problems facing this country, not frittering it away on invites for sports champions, regardless of gender or likelihood of accepting the invitation. This petty crap is not why I elect anyone to office (and no, I didn't vote for Trump, and wouldn't vote for him should he choose to run again).

Given the course of the Trump presidency thus far, I'd much rather he waste his time inviting athletes to the White House.

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/05/18 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

The president is also our "head of state", and as such a big part of the job is participating in ceremony and acknowledging the triumphs and tribulations of the citizenry. If a president has time for hanging out in Mar-a-Lago, playing golf and watching Fox News, he has time to recognize great achievements--like every other president has done for the last 30+ years.

The idea that there are other "more important problems" is a fallacy of relative privation.

PostPosted: 05/05/18 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
justintyme wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Given the course of the Trump presidency thus far, I'd much rather he waste his time inviting athletes to the White House.

Yes. LOL.

PostPosted: 05/09/18 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
justintyme wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

A-fucking-men. Give that bastard all of the fluffy tasks in the world for the rest of his presidency. Please God.

PostPosted: 05/09/18 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The fact that we are talking about this just shows how low the presidency has sunk into the sewer.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/09/18 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

The president is also our "head of state", and as such a big part of the job is participating in ceremony and acknowledging the triumphs and tribulations of the citizenry. If a president has time for hanging out in Mar-a-Lago, playing golf and watching Fox News, he has time to recognize great achievements--like every other president has done for the last 30+ years.

If the president should recognize great achievements and triumphs and tribulations, I don't see that as an argument for honoring a sports team, let alone the team with the most talent. Just honoring people with cancer and other medical conditions and scientists and engineers and doctors and nurses would take 100% of his time.

Quote:
The idea that there are other "more important problems" is a fallacy of relative privation.

The idea that sports teams need to be honored by the president in addition to all the honors their league gave them is looks like the fallacy of overvaluatum sportem, also known as the "they are doing so much more than playing a game" fallacy. But I think it is legitimate to say that he should invite everyone, if he invites some. But there has to be a cutoff somewhere - he's not expected to host every college sport or every pro sports champions. I don't think he has honored any pro team with lower public involvement than the WNBA.

Last edited by tfan on 05/09/18 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 05/09/18 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

Which of his policies are "systematically racist"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: