RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 04/30/18 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're deep at the 4 now, so there's no need. The only real questionable roster spot for this team is Angel's back-up at SF.

PG: Clarendon/Montgomery
SG: Hayes/Sykes/Lucas
SF: McCoughtry/???
PF: Breland/Billings
C: Williams/McGee-Stafford/Dantas

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/30/18 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel's backups are gonna be Hayes and Sykes though, more than likely, so you don't necessarily need another dedicated 3 on the roster. Feels like there are one or two spots on the end of this roster that are wide open. One of the better camps to be in for a random invitee.

PostPosted: 04/30/18 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Angel's backups are gonna be Hayes and Sykes though, more than likely, so you don't necessarily need another dedicated 3 on the roster. Feels like there are one or two spots on the end of this roster that are wide open. One of the better camps to be in for a random invitee.

Neither Tip nor Sykes are tall enough to compete at the 3. This is the recipe for a visit to the lottery if Angel misses any games. Or if either plays significant time at the 3 in a close game.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 04/30/18 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Neither Tip nor Sykes are tall enough to compete at the 3. This is the recipe for a visit to the lottery if Angel misses any games. Or if either plays significant time at the 3 in a close game.

A three guard offense can work, even in the W. The Lib won 22 games last year with Shavonte Zellous playing the three full time.

PostPosted: 04/30/18 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd rather let Hayes guard 3s for 8 minutes a night than some random backup off the street who's only on the roster because she's two inches taller. Maybe someone like Elonu works out, but I wouldn't be too worried about Hayes/Sykes playing on the wing together on occasion. Very few 3s in this league have any post game to worry about.

PostPosted: 04/30/18 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

A three guard offense can work, even in the W. The Lib won 22 games last year with Shavonte Zellous playing the three full time.

But I would question if the Liberty won 22 games because Zellous started at the three. It’s more like they won 22 games in spite of that. Despite winning 22 games, Lib fans are always in angst about their SF situation.

Obviously a three guard system didn’t work so well for ATL last year, and has never worked particularly well for SAN.

When TRP plays SF, it’s pretty much three guard.

But I agree with Richyyy. Ten minutes with a guard at SF shouldn’t hurt them and is probably preferable to other options available. Would you rather have Coleman or Sykes playing behind McCoughtry?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/30/18 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/30/18 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

obviously not their running lineup but I'm thinking they could sometimes play a 3 big lineup with Dantas, Breland, and EWill or Imani. Dantas and Breland at least have a little range. How they defend would depend on the team they're playing. Also I think this team will be a good fit for Billings as she is good getting up and down the floor.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/30/18 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hayes can play some 3 if need be, Atl's struggle weren't because Hayes was at the 3 (she actually played very well for the Dream last year at that less than ideal spot) the struggle was the result of Angel not being on the team at all.

McCoughtry getting 30 at the SF spot, Hayes getting 10 at the SF spot 15 at the Sg spot, and Sykes getting 25 at the SG spot is a very workable rotation for the 2/3.

If that is not good enough and Elonu doesn't do it for you just wait for the waiver wire you've got Coleman out there now and a few of these players will end up there as well A. Prince, Gwathmey, Burdick, Coffey, Nared, McCall, B. Allen, S. Thomas, Laney, Hooper, A. Taylor, Weise, Holmes, and others

RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/01/18 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCoughtry's one of the greatest talents the game has seen, however, she's an outrageously selfish gunner. No WNBA coach has yet been able to control her. She'll win a lot of games for Atlanta and make some incredible plays but at what cost to the team if she cannot share the ball effectively and efficiently.

If she can be controlled (managed), Atlanta has some other players who can contribute well through team basketball. If not, it'll be the same old story for the Dream.

The only coach I've ever seen control Lori Ann was Geno.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/01/18 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
McCoughtry's one of the greatest talents the game has seen, however, she's an outrageously selfish gunner. No WNBA coach has yet been able to control her. She'll win a lot of games for Atlanta and make some incredible plays but at what cost to the team if she cannot share the ball effectively and efficiently.

If she can be controlled (managed), Atlanta has some other players who can contribute well through team basketball. If not, it'll be the same old story for the Dream.

So terrible that she dragged a team with little talent around her to the finals three times. Coaches must really hate players who can do that. How selfish!

Confused

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/01/18 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't think it was so much Geno as the fact that Angel was surrounded by the best of the best so didn't need to be 'it'. That showed me she is capable of playing team ball if given good players around her. 'Controlling' Sykes might be the bigger issue.

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 05/01/18 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I didn't think it was so much Geno as the fact that Angel was surrounded by the best of the best so didn't need to be 'it'. That showed me she is capable of playing team ball if given good players around her. 'Controlling' Sykes might be the bigger issue.

I think there are going to be some issues and if Collen can manage them she probably deserve COY. The old Sheriff (Angel) is back in town, but Tip, Williams and Clarendon were All Stars (albeit from the weak East) w/o her around. Sykes also had a good individual year maybe thanks to Cooper giving her the green light to shoot first and ask questions later. The team sucked last year, but the players had good individual years. How will they take to the Angel coming back expecting to run the show? Will Angel hold it over their heads that they were losers w/o her or be the leader they need? Who gets the ball in crunch time? Who actually runs the offense - Angel or Clarendon? Plus, Sykes, Montgomery, Breland and maybe Lucas and Billings will be rotation players who have never played with Angel on the Dream. Finally - the Dream still may have some of the same problems they have had fora while - lack of a half court game, undersized starting posts, unproven 3 point shooting and inconsistent play. And a rookie head coach is supposed to keep all this under control. I worry it might make a for better reality show than basketball team. But, it could be a lot of fun.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/01/18 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

So terrible that she dragged a team with little talent around her to the finals three times. Coaches must really hate players who can do that. How selfish!

Confused

What teams were those with little to no talent help? Or did she play one on five? Cannot be done with little to no talent, I hate to tell you. Rolling Eyes

Randy

PostPosted: 05/02/18 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Training camp day 1.

http://dream.wnba.com/news/dream-training-camp-observations-from-day-1/

This is limited, but nice they are doing it. In the past we didn't see much of anything on training camp. Elonu will be late coming in, so that is not going to help her chances, I would think.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/02/18 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clarendon/RMontgomery
Hayes/Sykes/Lucas
McCoughtry/(Elonu vs Engram vs Rosemarie Julien)
Breland/Billings/Dantas
EWilliams/McGee-Stafford

Collen says each player is “hand-picked” for this roster. Does that mean she won’t consider looking at the waiver wire for a more worthy backup to McCoughtry?

I wonder if they inquired into Coleman as a UFA (already went through waiver period), but Coleman vouched for NYL because of the supposed familiarity. Nobody wanted to assume Coleman’s IND contract, but at $60K she might be worth a shot.

Coffey, Burdick, and Holmes are some possibilities out of LVA. Something decent might fall out of SEA. Chicago has some extra wings, maybe you can get Hooper back? Rebecca Allen.... NYL’s impatience could be some other team’s gain.

Last edited by Shades on 05/02/18 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 05/02/18 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it comes down to deciding whether to get a backup 3 or 5. Dantas could play 5 so maybe we don't need that. However, Angel plays a lot of minutes and in the past Hayes has usually been the main backup anyway, Sykes could also play 3 in a pinch, so there is not a crying need for a 3 either. I'd keep a spot open and keep my eyes on the waiver wire.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/02/18 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Collen says each player is “hand-picked” for this roster. Does that mean she won’t consider looking at the waiver wire for a more worthy backup to McCoughtry?

that's just coach talk. some of them will be hand-picked to waive.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 05/02/18 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s true that if the team stays healthy, there’s no need for a stout backup for McCoughtry and you could just give Julien the experience since she was a player Collen used to coach. But if you get an injury or two, then it could leave you wishing you would have upgraded that position when you had the best chance.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/02/18 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I think it comes down to deciding whether to get a backup 3 or 5. Dantas could play 5 so maybe we don't need that. However, Angel plays a lot of minutes and in the past Hayes has usually been the main backup anyway, Sykes could also play 3 in a pinch, so there is not a crying need for a 3 either. I'd keep a spot open and keep my eyes on the waiver wire.

But why would you need six posts? Especially when Lucas is about as fragile as antique china. Hanging from a ledge. At a 45 degree angle.

PostPosted: 05/02/18 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like this

Clarendon/R. Montgomery
Hayes/Sykes/Lucas
McCoughtry/A. Prince
Breland/Dantas/Billings
E. Williams/I.M-S

There is a 50/50 chace A. Prince gets waived, If I was Atl I might even offer my 2019 2nd round pick just to secure her. Her size and 3 and D style of play would be a nice compliment to the more ball dominant players

Randy

PostPosted: 05/02/18 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was thinking Gwathmey might be available and would fit. That may just be because she went off on the Dream one of the games last year. Then again, the Sun are pretty loaded this year, perhaps one of their casts offs.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/02/18 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you just want an athlete with potential I had the Dream drafting S. Thomas at 16 before Billings fell, I'm pretty sure she'll get cut from LA and The Dream have enough shooters to give her the defensive stopper role off the bench.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/02/18 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
If you just want an athlete with potential I had the Dream drafting S. Thomas at 16 before Billings fell, I'm pretty sure she'll get cut from LA and The Dream have enough shooters to give her the defensive stopper role off the bench.

I like this. Hell they gave T. Young multiple shots at SF.

PostPosted: 05/02/18 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Oh yeah.... I had her going there as well. Can’t shoot the three but very athletic. Perfect match for ATL. They passed on her twice though. Could be indicative of how they feel about her.

They probably should look for an excellent three point shooter.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/03/18 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Blasphemy, Thomas and defense should not be in the same sentence, if you don't believe Semrau aka not a starter most of her career, just ask Agler. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 11 of 18

Jump to: