RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bill Cosby Charged in Sexual Assault Case
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/27/18 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As per usual, Wesley Morris has a take worth reading:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/arts/television/cosby-show-african-americans.html

Quote:
Bill Cosby was good at his job. That sums up why the guilty verdict Thursday is depressing — depressing not for its shock but for the work the verdict now requires me to do. The discarding and condemning and reconsidering — of the shows, the albums, the movies. But I don’t need to watch them anymore. It’s too late. I’ve seen them. I’ve absorbed them. I’ve lived them. I’m a black man, so I am them.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/27/18 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/arts/television/cosby-show-african-americans.html

Quote:
Bill Cosby was good at his job. That sums up why the guilty verdict Thursday is depressing — depressing not for its shock but for the work the verdict now requires me to do. The discarding and condemning and reconsidering — of the shows, the albums, the movies. But I don’t need to watch them anymore. It’s too late. I’ve seen them. I’ve absorbed them. I’ve lived them. I’m a black man, so I am them.

Why we shouldn't make heroes out of actors, comedians, athletes, etc. They are just doing their job.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/27/18 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Quote:

Why we shouldn't make heroes out of actors, comedians, athletes, etc. They are just doing their job.

Hero worship, assigning higher value, idolizing the famous is just part of the territory. Humanity finds it hard to separate their emotional response from their logical ones. Famous people evoke feel good emotions in their fans. Its because they evokes those kinds of feelings that they are a fan. So asking people to not make the athletes, actors, etc. into their heroes is akin to telling them not to believe in anyone.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/27/18 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Quote:

Hero worship, assigning higher value, idolizing the famous is just part of the territory. Humanity finds it hard to separate their emotional response from their logical ones. Famous people evoke feel good emotions in their fans. Its because they evokes those kinds of feelings that they are a fan. So asking people to not make the athletes, actors, etc. into their heroes is akin to telling them not to believe in anyone.

This is, to be clear, not what Morris talking about in this piece.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/27/18 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

We shouldn't expect our heroes to be flawless. Cosby inspired a generation of comics while perpetrating his vile treatment of women. Not everyone you look up to will have something as bad as this in their makeup, but they will all do or say things you wish they wouldn't.

PostPosted: 04/27/18 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

We shouldn't expect our heroes to be flawless. Cosby inspired a generation of comics while perpetrating his vile treatment of women. Not everyone you look up to will have something as bad as this in their makeup, but they will all do or say things you wish they wouldn't.

I can agree with that. We, ourselves, are flawed and have things about ourselves that will not meet the seal of approval of our peers.
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 05/04/18 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bill Cosby held a big party at Temple in December 2004.

It was the premiere of his new movie, Fat Albert. The film, based on the decades-old animated series inspired by Cosby’s childhood in North Philadelphia, was the first film screenwriting credit of Cosby’s storied career. The premiere, held at Temple’s basketball arena, was a tribute to Temple and to Cosby’s childhood. He dedicated the movie’s premiere to then-Temple women’s hoops coach Dawn Staley. He clowned around with Temple’s cheerleaders.

Earlier that year, Bill Cosby had drugged and sexually assaulted a Temple employee...

https://deadspin.com/how-temple-helped-normalize-bill-cosby-after-he-sexuall-1825710131

Howee

PostPosted: 05/04/18 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
pilight wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

I can agree with that. We, ourselves, are flawed and have things about ourselves that will not meet the seal of approval of our peers.

Flawed we ALL may be, but one key difference with a character like Cosby is that he ADOPTED AND WAVED THE MANTLE OF "ROLE MODEL" for a whole generation (and more). Harvey is a pig, but at least he didn't pass himself off as anything that resembled a moral guiding light, especially to small kids. It's that discrepancy that makes some offenses more egregious than others, imo....but it's all "Bad". Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 09/26/18 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sentenced to 3 to 10 years in prison.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/25/us/bill-cosby-sentence-assault/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/bill-cosby-sentencing/index.html

But his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is going to be retained.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/entertainment/cosby-hollywood-walk-fame-star-trnd/index.html

What life will be like for Cosby at the Pennsylvania's State Correctional Institute - Phoenix, located in Montgomery County, PA.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/25/us/cosby-prison-sci-phoenix/index.html

PostPosted: 09/26/18 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about this. While I think that perpetrators of this type of crime deserve jail time, I think taxpayers would be better served by a lifetime sentence of house arrest with other limitations and a provision for frequent inspections, for an 81 y.o. blind guy. As it is, he'll be out in a couple of years. I'm glad to see that he's got to pick up the bill for prosecution costs, and they should have included the costs for the original trial. Can they bill him for his jail time too?

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 09/26/18 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is [part of] the victim impact statement submitted in writing by Andrea Constand, the former Temple University employee whom Bill Cosby was convicted of drugging and sexually assaulting in 2004, and released by prosecutors at Cosby’s sentencing Tuesday in Norristown, Pennsylvania:

"At the time of the assault, I was 30 years old, and a fit, confident athlete. I was strong and skilled, with great reflexes, agility and speed. When I graduated from high school in Toronto, I was one of the top three female high school basketball players in Canada. Dozens of American colleges lined up to offer me basketball scholarships, and I chose the University of Arizona.

For four years, I was a shooting guard on the women’s basketball team, scoring up to 30 points a game. It was an amazing time in my life, and I learned a lot, developed a circle of really good friends, many of them teammates, and travelled around the US to compete..."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/25/bill-cosby-sexual-assault-andrea-constand

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 09/26/18 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hope the scumball dies in prison

Howee

PostPosted: 09/26/18 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

At the very least, I hope he's NOT drugged....before he's raped. He deserves the fullness of the entire experience.

PostPosted: 09/26/18 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

At the very least, I hope he's NOT drugged....before he's raped. He deserves the fullness of the entire experience.

Haha! Agreed!

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/27/18 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

General question: How common is it for Board of Trustees members to interact with students and sports teams like this, at any school? I don't think I ever met a Trustee until graduation weekend when they were prowling the social events to line up future donors to the school's endowment. Was Cosby just trolling the female athletic groups for his next victim?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/28/18 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
General question: How common is it for Board of Trustees members to interact with students and sports teams like this, at any school? I don't think I ever met a Trustee until graduation weekend when they were prowling the social events to line up future donors to the school's endowment. Was Cosby just trolling the female athletic groups for his next victim?

To interact with general students is rare. To insert themselves into athletics to try to feel cool and bask in athletic glory is not nearly as rare.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 06/30/21 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UPDATE: Bill Cosby to walk free after court overturns sex assault conviction

https://nypost.com/2021/06/30/bill-cosby-to-be-released-after-court-overturns-conviction/

https://www.inquirer.com/news/bill-cosby-conviction-overturned-appeal-andrea-constand-20210630.html

Quote:
The Pennsylvania state Supreme Court on Wednesday found that an agreement with a previous prosecutor prevented him from being charged for allegedly drugging and molesting Andrea Constand in 2004.

The ruling bars any retrial in the case, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

PostPosted: 06/30/21 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
UPDATE: Bill Cosby to walk free after court overturns sex assault conviction

https://nypost.com/2021/06/30/bill-cosby-to-be-released-after-court-overturns-conviction/

https://www.inquirer.com/news/bill-cosby-conviction-overturned-appeal-andrea-constand-20210630.html

Quote:
The Pennsylvania state Supreme Court on Wednesday found that an agreement with a previous prosecutor prevented him from being charged for allegedly drugging and molesting Andrea Constand in 2004.

The ruling bars any retrial in the case, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

He continues to deny that he ever assaulted anyone. He still has some civil suits pending against him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: