RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What I'm Reading 2018
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard 77

PostPosted: 12/30/17 6:32 pm    ::: What I'm Reading 2018 Reply Reply with quote

I'm beginning the book, One Thousand White Women - The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus. For January's book discussion group at my local library.

(What I'm writing.) Saving Ava and An Act of Weighted Murder. (And a little of Baby Ballers 3)

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/30/17 6:59 pm    ::: Re: What I'm Reading 2018 Reply Reply with quote

I'm halfway through John Sanford's "Rough Country." It's part his Virgil Flowers series, which I love.

Also about halfway through "How We Got to Now: Six Innovations that Made the Modern World," by Steve Johnson.

I'll probably finish one on the plane tomorrow, meaning I won't actually be reading it in 2018.

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 12/31/17 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

going through my book, Barnstorming America, Stories from the Pioneers of Women's basketball for any small corrections

was just told it is going back to press for 2nd pressing

www.barnstormingamerica.net
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 01/03/18 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just started "Man's Search for Meaning," by Viktor Frankl
and "Holy Water" by James Othmer."

Finished "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline this past weekend.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 01/03/18 4:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HistoryWomensBasketball wrote:
going through my book, Barnstorming America, Stories from the Pioneers of Women's basketball for any small corrections

was just told it is going back to press for 2nd pressing

Congratulations. I'm glad to hear your book has done well. May the second printing sell out also.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 01/10/18 5:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard,

Thanks very much. I am very pleased with the comments of those that have read it. Honestly, as you know, unless you are one of a very select few, you do not write a book based on making money or selling a lot.

A second printing is an accomplishment. there have been some local signings around the country in players hometowns etc.

Even have a signing at the 20th Anniversary Induction at the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame Induction.

A big thing is what happens with the option on the book this spring. It expires. The production company can option it for another year, exercise it or just let it expire. While I do think it is a basis for possible film if not at least a documentary and the timing is pretty good with Hollywood, I keep my fingers crossed but will not lose any sleep if it expires.

Quite a ride for a person who simply is a fan of women's basketball

www.barnstormingamerica.net
pilight

PostPosted: 02/01/18 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As many of you know, every year for Black History Month I make it a point to read a book written by a black author. This year it is "The Underground Railroad", a novel by Colson Whitehead

PostPosted: 02/01/18 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I finished a couple of books that I'll be reviewing for Mystery Scene magazine.

The first was Hard Aground by Brendan Dubois. The second was Bloody January by Alan Parks.
Richard 77

PostPosted: 02/02/18 4:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm currently reading two books. The Women In The Castle by Jessica Shattuck and Hamlet - Shakespeare. (Memorizing Hamlet's lines.)

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 02/08/18 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now reading "Americanah" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

Also started "Vagabonding" by Rolf Potts.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/09/18 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can check out my latest Mystery Scene magazine review for the Dennis Palumbo thriller Head Wounds HERE!
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/29/18 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reading ...

"The Razor's Edge," by Somerset Maugham

and

"Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain," by John J. Ratey

pilight

PostPosted: 03/29/18 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All the Names They Used for God by Anjali Sachdeva

PostPosted: 03/29/18 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I finished an advance copy of the Greg F. Gifune novel Dangerous Boys which I'll be reviewing for Mystery Scene magazine.

I also finished the third Maddie Day Country Store Mystery When The Grits Hit The Fan.
justintyme

PostPosted: 03/29/18 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am in the midst of a reread of Iain M. Banks' Culture series.

I have finished Consider Phlebas and Player of Games, and am currently reading Use of Weapons.

PostPosted: 03/30/18 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just finished listening to Samantha Irby's "We Are Never Meeting in Real Life." I highly recommend it. It is laugh-out-loud funny throughout, but still takes on very serious and personal topics. She talks about her history of abuse, chronic, mental and physical illness, racism, self-hate, living in poverty, and then turns around and gives an account of a vibrator that made her wife "squirt so hard she hit the cat." If that phrase bothers you, you probably won't like the book, but if it it makes you laugh, you will love it.

I recommend the audiobook, read by Irby herself.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 04/02/18 2:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just finished Joe Buck's Lucky Bastard and Harry Caray's Holy Cow. Now I'm on Walter Payton's autobiography that was started in the last weeks he was on this earth.

And if you want to be motivated to become a better person, pick up Ernie Johnson's Unscripted. It is wonderful.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/02/18 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

I have finished Consider Phlebas and Player of Games, and am currently reading Use of Weapons.

I'm curious about Banks. It's been a long time since I've found a Sci Fi series I could sink my teeth into.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/02/18 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I finished the Maddie Day mystery novel "Biscuits and Slashed Browns".
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/09/18 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now Reading ...

"The Circle" by Dave Eggers

and

"The Fall of Paris: The Siege and the Commune 1870-71" by Alistair Horne

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/09/18 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I'm curious about Banks. It's been a long time since I've found a Sci Fi series I could sink my teeth into.

I enjoy Banks' writing immensely. In fact, I am rereading these at the moment because I am planning in using one as part of my class on post-structuralism (I have my students read 4 novels over the semester. Two of those are the same every time; the other two I mix up).

The books typically revolve around moral dilemmas faced by The Culture, a post-scarcity utopia lead by benevolent, super-intelligent artificial intelligences (as opposed to the more traditional sci-fi trope of AIs who turn on humanity.). They are all stand alone novels and they usually explore how this society handles itself on its fringes, especially when it deals with less "enlightened" worlds/groups.

PostPosted: 04/10/18 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I enjoy Banks' writing immensely. In fact, I am rereading these at the moment because I am planning in using one as part of my class on post-structuralism (I have my students read 4 novels over the semester. Two of those are the same every time; the other two I mix up).

The books typically revolve around moral dilemmas faced by The Culture, a post-scarcity utopia lead by benevolent, super-intelligent artificial intelligences (as opposed to the more traditional sci-fi trope of AIs who turn on humanity.). They are all stand alone novels and they usually explore how this society handles itself on its fringes, especially when it deals with less "enlightened" worlds/groups.

Wow! Some deep stuff. I like my fiction a little more straightforward. I did look up post structuralism and saw the dreaded Foucault there which I did not enjoy in college. Also, the whole phenomenology thing is literally what my husband is working on so I hear about it all the time. Weird you would bring up all these themes.

In any case, I did start skimming "Consider Phlebas" and the writing seemed erratic and hard to follow. I tend to like my novels in very linear fashion without excessive description. But I am aware there are some difficult authors such as Foster Wallace or Vollman that I want to tackle but have to get over the fact their writing is very non-linear.

I will give it a shot at some point though. I do like novels that tackle cultural issues. Your class does sound interesting and a different take on the view of the sci fi novel.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/26/18 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A couple more of my reviews made the cut for the new issue of Mystery Scene magazine.

You can check out both via the links.

Hard Aground by Brendan DuBois

Bloody January by Alan Parks
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/26/18 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The View From Flyover Country (2018 updated) by Sarah Kendzior

Political Tribes: Group Instinct and the Fate of Nations by Amy Chua

PostPosted: 05/25/18 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I went to an author event with three mystery writers yesterday. You can check out my recap HERE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: