RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bill Cosby Charged in Sexual Assault Case
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 01/03/16 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

No, but in my 70 years of being a lesbian I've never heard of it.

Well, there ya go. could never happen Rolling Eyes

I can't dispute your personal experience. But its a big world with all sorts of people with all sorts of motivations.

I don't think it's impossible for a lesbian to decide to trade sexual favors with a man for career advancement, but I also think it's a lot less likely than that she wasn't, particularly in the absence of evidence that anybody but him says she was "dating" him. (And I'm still hoping to see a link where someone actually said they were dating.)

TonyL222

PostPosted: 01/03/16 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

I don't think it's impossible for a lesbian to decide to trade sexual favors with a man for career advancement, but I also think it's a lot less likely than that she wasn't, particularly in the absence of evidence that anybody but him says she was "dating" him. (And I'm still hoping to see a link where someone actually said they were dating.)

I'm not sure who said they were "dating". But most of this is he/she said. She did said that he had made sexual advances in the past - yet she continued to see him for some purpose.

My points had been that these are things that his lawyer will certainly bring out.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/04/16 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Experts. Rolling Eyes

I'm curious. What do you mean by that?

Never you mind. Very Happy

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/04/16 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Experts. Rolling Eyes

I'm curious. What do you mean by that?

Never you mind. Very Happy

Yeah. Whatever.

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/04/16 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

I'm not sure who said they were "dating". But most of this is he/she said. She did said that he had made sexual advances in the past - yet she continued to see him for some purpose.

My points had been that these are things that his lawyer will certainly bring out.

It wasn't you who said they were dating - it was GlennMacGrady - but I thought I ought to reiterate my request.

On the point about him making sexual advances, a lot of women put up with a lot of garbage, particularly from me with power over them, because they think they need to do it to keep their jobs, they don't think anyone will believe them, etc. And, honestly, I don't think it hurts the case at all - the narrative is that she turned him down and he decided not to take no for an answer. Also remember that she was seeing him in connection with her job at Temple, not for fun.

Genero36

PostPosted: 01/04/16 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lord, please forgive me for posting this video. Here goes:

<embed><iframe width="509" height="310" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EpOo-DtgUjs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/EpOo-DtgUjs

PostPosted: 01/04/16 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
If I ever need a lawyer, I WANT this woman -

Bill Cosby's Lawyer [Monique Pressley] OWNS Lamont Hill in debate

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fP6sBEmAgIE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She has been racking up a body count of ignorant reporters. Making folks look dumb on their own show.

<embed><iframe width="438" height="267" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OLHFIFoG1r4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/OLHFIFoG1r4

PostPosted: 01/04/16 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
TonyL222 wrote:
If I ever need a lawyer, I WANT this woman -

Bill Cosby's Lawyer [Monique Pressley] OWNS Lamont Hill in debate

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fP6sBEmAgIE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She has been racking up a body count of ignorant reporters. Making folks look dumb on their own show.

<embed><iframe width="438" height="267" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OLHFIFoG1r4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/OLHFIFoG1r4

Folks, I truly believe that Cosby did at least most of the things he's been accused of. I really don't want to defend him. My original post was about Monique Pressley. This woman is the FREAKIN" TRUTH of a lawyer. I am just highly impressed!! With this woman, I don't think this case against Cosby is as "Slam Dunk" and many of you seem to think.

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/04/16 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
With this woman, I don't think this case against Cosby is as "Slam Dunk" and many of you seem to think.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's a slam dunk. The prosecution case probably depends on getting at least some favorable rulings from the judge on what can be put into evidence. (I'm not saying the prosecution should lose those issues, just that it's not 100% certain to win them.) And, of course, sexual assault cases are notoriously hard to win in the first place.

And as the O.J. case proved many years ago, prosecutors can screw up cases even when they have strong evidence. (That was a great example of a prosecution that messed up a case that ought to have been won, partly by trying to anticipate every argument the defense might make, creating tons of opportunity for reasonable doubt.)

sambista

PostPosted: 01/04/16 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, i'd be afraid of ms. pressley.

PostPosted: 02/09/16 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02/09/16 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...and Kanye is clearly trying to drum up new publicity for his upcoming album.

PostPosted: 02/09/16 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it would be extremely difficult to prove over a decade later that Bill Cosby put a rufie in a woman's drink. It seems like a conviction could only come if the judge allowed the other women who also think they were rufied to testify or for their cases to be mentioned. But even that wouldn't prove that Cosby rufied this woman, just make it a stronger possibility.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 02/10/16 2:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@OsitaNwanevu:

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/14/17 2:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Cosby is not charged with any form of rape in the Constand case. Nor, under Pennsylvania law, is he charged with statutory sexual assault, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, or sexual assault. He's charged with three counts of aggravated indecent assault under Section 3125(a) of the Pennsylvania penal code. This is a second degree felony, the penalty for which is up to 10 years in prison and/or up to $25,000 in fines.

This is a petting below the waist case. Specifically, Cosby is charged with digitally penetrating Constand's vagina (which he admits) in violation of subsections:

-- (1), which requires that the victim did not consent. Cosby said she did consent. This count will be a classic he said/she said standoff of evidence.

-- (4), which requires that the victim was "unconscious" or "unaware" of the penetration. Both Cosby and Constand testified she was aware of the initial penetration, so there will have to be proof that there was additional penetration while she was later unconscious. But who is going to testify to something that happened when she was unconscious? No one was in the house except Cosby and Constand. This count seems like a loser.

-- (5), which requires that Cosby "substantially impaired" Constand with drugs or intoxicants without her "knowledge". The testimony of Constand is that she voluntarily took three blue pills offered by Cosby -- but she didn't know what they were -- and that she voluntarily took a "couple of sips of wine." Cosby testified that the pills were one and a half Benadryl pills. Constand says that 20 or 30 minutes after the pills and wine, she became "frozen" and "paralyzed". This charge may be the prosecutor's best chance for a conviction, due to jury suspicion about what the drug really was and whether it "substantially impaired" Constand's ability to consent.

All of this evidence was before the Pennsylvania District Attorney in 2005. He did not prosecute because there was not sufficient evidence to prove a case beyond reasonable doubt.

Now, the charge has been refiled. To some observers, this could have the appearance of publicity seeking by the new DA -- to "cash in" on all the bad press recently surrounding Cosby. Is there any new evidence? The police say, yes: the deposition testimony of Cosby in Constand's civil case against him. But this testimony doesn't seem (to me) to incriminate Cosby with respect to Constand or any other woman. He simply testified that he intended to use Quaalude years ago when having consensual sex with women and did so on one specific occasion.

It's undisputed that Constand dated Cosby numerous time and accepted invitations to his house on several occasions. She testified that she rejected his sexual advances on two prior occasions. Cosby, in contrast, says they had a romantic relationship that included petting on prior occasions. It's undisputed that Constand voluntarily went to Cosby's house at 8:45 p.m. on the night in question -- after he told her by phone that "no one else would be present" and that she should "dress in comfortable clothing."

This would seem to be a very hard case to prove.

Cosby's lead attorney is a highly credentialed criminal lawyer, Brian J. McMonagle. Monique Pressley, who is a radio host and evangelical preacher as well as a lawyer, was probably hired to be "TV counsel".

Well, 16 months have passed and the jury is now deliberating Cosby's fate. Only one other alleged "victim" from the past besides Constand was allowed to testify for the prosecution. The entire defense lasted a mere six minutes, just to move some written police reports into evidence.

The most likely reason that Cosby didn't put on a defense is that his lawyers feel that the prosecution's case is weak and that they have created reasonable doubt in the mind of at least one juror by their vigorous cross examination of Constand.

I think my summary of the three possible statutory offenses remains sound and that violation of subsection (5) remains the prosecution's best shot. In that connection, the jury has asked the judge for further guidance as to what "without knowledge" means under this subsection. The judge refused to define the phrase further.

Note: 16 months ago, I got my information as to what some of the evidence would be in the trial from a reading of the police affidavit that I linked and also from a reading of Cosby's deposition in Constand's civil case against him, which everyone assumed would be read to the criminal jury and in fact was.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/17/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jurors said they were deadlocked after three days, judge pushed them to deliberate for three more, but after 52 hours the deadlock remained and the judge finally declared a mistrial today. This means Cosby can be retried and the D.A., as of now, says he will do so.

I'm sympathetic to the opinion of Cosby's wife about this particular D.A., the judge and the superficial, click-bait crazed media:

Quote:
Cosby’s wife of 53 years, Camille, slammed prosecutors for bringing the case to court, calling [D.A.] Steele “heinously and exploitatively ambitious” in a statement released after court adjourned. She also attacked the judge, the accuser’s lawyers and the media.

“How do I describe the judge? Overtly arrogant, collaborating with the district attorney,” said her statement, which was read by Wyatt.

She also slammed the media covering the trial.

“How do I describe many, but not all, general media? Blatantly vicious entities that continually disseminated intentional omissions of truths for the primary purpose of greedily selling sensationalism at the expense of a human life,” Camille Cosby said.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/06/17/bill-cosby-verdict/
justintyme

PostPosted: 06/17/17 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Jurors said they were deadlocked after three days, judge pushed them to deliberate for three more, but after 52 hours the deadlock remained and the judge finally declared a mistrial today. This means Cosby can be retried and the D.A., as of now, says he will do so.

I'm sympathetic to the opinion of Cosby's wife about this particular D.A., the judge and the superficial, click-bait crazed media:

Quote:
Cosby’s wife of 53 years, Camille, slammed prosecutors for bringing the case to court, calling [D.A.] Steele “heinously and exploitatively ambitious” in a statement released after court adjourned. She also attacked the judge, the accuser’s lawyers and the media.

“How do I describe the judge? Overtly arrogant, collaborating with the district attorney,” said her statement, which was read by Wyatt.

She also slammed the media covering the trial.

“How do I describe many, but not all, general media? Blatantly vicious entities that continually disseminated intentional omissions of truths for the primary purpose of greedily selling sensationalism at the expense of a human life,” Camille Cosby said.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/06/17/bill-cosby-verdict/

The ability to get a conviction here is probably traveling up a pretty steep incline.

That being said, I don't blame the DA. Cosby has done so much damage to so many women over the years, yet is untouchable for all of them except this one. So sometimes you just got to fight the fight you can, no matter the long odds.

I have no sympathy at all for Cosby, and if his wife is going to stand by his predator ass, then I have little for her as well.

PostPosted: 06/18/17 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cosby knew he would get a hung jury all along

Quote:
. . . Cosby would spend the break predicting if not an outright acquittal, at least a mistrial.

“Steele wants me badly; he ran on getting me,” Cosby said at one point of the prosecutor, Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele.

“But he doesn’t have a case.”

That’s why, Cosby said, he turned down the DA’s offer of a no-jail deal that would have required him to wear a monitoring bracelet and register as a sex offender.

A prosecution spokesman denied there was ever any offer, but Cosby insists there was.

“They offered me a deal,” Cosby said during one break. “They want me to wear this bracelet around my ankle,” he said. “They want me to say I’m a sex offender.”

Why did he decline?

“I’m innocent,” he said.
justintyme

PostPosted: 06/22/17 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A juror interviewed said that it was 10-2 in favor of conviction. One of the alternates said that they would have voted for conviction had they been on the jury.

Based on that, I have to think the DA will refile.

PostPosted: 04/26/18 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guilty on all 3 counts.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bill-cosby-scandal/bill-cosby-found-guilty-sexual-assault-retrial-n869121

PostPosted: 04/26/18 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Guilty on all 3 counts.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bill-cosby-scandal/bill-cosby-found-guilty-sexual-assault-retrial-n869121

It's time the women coaches and staffers in women's college basketball speak up on behalf of Andrea Constand. Remember this happened when she was Dawn Staley's employee at Temple.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/26/18 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What happens to Cosby now?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/us/bill-cosby-what-happens-now/index.html

Quote:
* He's allowed to go home

"I'm not simply going to lock him up right now," said Montgomery County Judge Steven O'Neill after the verdict was announced, citing Cosby's age and his track record of appearing at every court hearing for more than two years.

* He can't leave Pennsylvania

The judge asked Cosby where his passport was surrendered when he initially posted bail and where he lives now.

O'Neill said Cosby should not leave his Pennsylvania home.

* He will be subject to GPS monitoring

The judge ordered that arrangements be made for a GPS tracking device for Cosby.

* He faces up to 10 years in prison on each count

Cosby will likely serve his prison terms concurrently. A sentencing hearing has not yet been scheduled, and Cosby remains out on bail.

Cosby is 80 years old.

PostPosted: 04/26/18 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A better sentence would have been to cut the old mans dick off

Genero36

PostPosted: 04/26/18 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully, Weinstein is next. If he isn't, the #metoo movement means nothing.

PostPosted: 04/26/18 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Hopefully, Weinstein is next. If he isn't, the #metoo movement means nothing.

Yeah let's hope so, or else this changes from being a step forward towards touching the untouchables, into just another excuse to put a black guy in jail.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: