RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 04/25/18 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I going with Williams as a freshman starter because she fits a team need, I would put her in a similar situation as Doty.
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/25/18 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice Glenn and so eloquently put.

Or Uconn lost with the help of some real bogus nonexistent calls ona great last second shot. And the sun is shining and the sky is not falling.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/25/18 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

Or Uconn lost with the help of some real bogus nonexistent calls ona great last second shot. And the sun is shining and the sky is not falling.

UCONN had that game lost twice end of regulation and OT . Both times the refs did not decide. Glen & AC both have great points of why either team was better or more successful throughout the 2017-2018 .

PostPosted: 04/25/18 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uconn had 3 of its main players with 4 fouls in regulation, of course that affects the game in many ways, that is a fact. The other speculations about bench minutes etc are not facts, they are speculative and there is nothing wrong with that.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 04/25/18 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like a a poster needs the suicide hotline to me. I was wondering why all the posters were on this thread Laughing

C'mon Dub still waiting for you to spill the beanies on Baylor and you know those refs were horrible for all the final four games.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/25/18 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or this: Geno Auriemma is a great coach who might be on a very slight downslope at this point in his career. UConn didn't quite live up to expectations this year but was still very, very good -- and will likely be very, very good for a while.

Dynasties do not last forever. They inevitably and invariably fade, whether they be Chinese imperial families or professional sports monoliths. UConn had one of the great runs in women's basketball, if not collegiate, history, and it appears to be ending -- though the lion in winter will still have sharp claws and teeth, and plenty enough speed and strength to hold off all but the most prepared challengers.

From my far-away perspective, no blame anywhere. The wheel turns, and now it looks like it's Notre Dame's turn to be on top for a while -- and let's see how long Muffet can keep the mandate of heaven shining in South Bend.

PostPosted: 04/25/18 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Or this: Geno Auriemma is a great coach who might be on a very slight downslope at this point in his career. UConn didn't quite live up to expectations this year but was still very, very good -- and will likely be very, very good for a while.

Dynasties do not last forever. They inevitably and invariably fade, whether they be Chinese imperial families or professional sports monoliths. UConn had one of the great runs in women's basketball, if not collegiate, history, and it appears to be ending -- though the lion in winter will still have sharp claws and teeth, and plenty enough speed and strength to hold off all but the most prepared challengers.

From my far-away perspective, no blame anywhere. The wheel turns, and now it looks like it's Notre Dame's turn to be on top for a while -- and let's see how long Muffet can keep the mandate of heaven shining in South Bend.

I agree. The wheel is turning towards ND.

I was not upset when we lost to Miss State. Of course I thought the end of game execution (Chong) was it's usual hideous self but if we were able to go undefeated and win a title after losing Stewart, Tuck, and Mo they should have gotten rid of the sport. It was time.

But I believe us throwing it away to ND and the way ND won (became media darlings, dramatic exciting wins, huge media exposure, recruits now know u can win a title at ND)) will have dramatic lasting effects. For starters we are now guaranteed 3 years of no UConn title as they will certainly not win next year. And if it's ND again they def have the title of premier program currently in WCBB. ND already had the conference over UConn (which I think is also a huge reason UConn went down in the fashion they did the last 2 years). Now they have the intangibles and buzz.

And all of it was preventable. All of it. I called the UConn loss back in February when it was obvious the same mistakes were being repeated. I sounded the alarm bell in December when the team was clearly alarmingly disjointed for a team that returned so much. This year will have a BIG impact on this sport going forward. Anyone who is a true UConn fan should be sick about what the coming change means. HINT: Be prepared to see a lot of Muffett cutting down the nets in April.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/25/18 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Sounds like a a poster needs the suicide hotline to me. I was wondering why all the posters were on this thread Laughing

C'mon Dub still waiting for you to spill the beanies on Baylor and you know those refs were horrible for all the final four games.

Yes Nix , i do agree the refs are horrible . They always are , on every level . Not only the Final 4 and referring to Baylor i was actually asked to simmer down a bit by some Waco outlets. I was not aware it was such a "Sensitive" topic . If a player wants out then get the hell out if you ask me but thats not my place as ive been reminded.

PostPosted: 04/25/18 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn, don't take any schtick from them.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/25/18 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hartford Courant with a new beat writer next year for women's basketball. My guess is she won't comment on hot cheerleaders like Altavilla or rain on a high schooler announcing her choice like Anthony.

https://twitter.com/AstacyKelli

Kelli Stacy
‏@AstacyKelli
Follow Follow @AstacyKelli
More
A bit of personal news: I won’t be headed to Salt Lake City this summer. Instead, I’m happy to announce I’ll be joining the @hartfordcourant as their UConn women’s basketball beat writer! I’m beyond excited about this opportunity and can’t wait to get started.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/25/18 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
UConn Huskies
‏Verified account
@UConnHuskies
Follow Follow @UConnHuskies
More
And the Female Athlete of the Year Award winner goes to ... Gabby Williams from @UConnWBB!

How can this be? Geno was pushing Samuelson for Player of the year!

Who were these awards voted by, all Uconn student athletes, the student body, people in the athletic department, fans?

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 04/25/18 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
allenleavell wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:
Best of luck to Samantha. She seems like a great kid.

The Hartford Courant story was just stupid and makes the UConn staff look ridiculous and petty. The more credible beat writers (Adamec and Fuller) know what happened and wrote nothing. Adamec, who knows the most about what happened, wished Samantha well on twitter which is what one would expect from Carl.

Of course Samantha was offered and then the UConn staff lost interest and essentially stopped communicating with her after she visited around New Year's. According to a family member who posted on the UConn board, she couldn't confirm whether the offer was still on the table. I'm told she tried to commit. Whatever. She should have been able to have her day without the Courant's stupid story.

All offers have a time limit for most staff. They put them out there and If the recruit does not commit by a certain time they move on to the next recruit. That how coaches do business.

Where in the world did you ever hear such a thing.

For star players offers are "We'll wait for your answer as long as you need us to wait." Since UConn never comes near the 15 limit and has zero 2019 verbals, the notion that the offer for the top rated recruit in the country "expired" is ludicrous.

This just keeps getting more absurd by the day. First she never had an offer. Then she had one and tried to commit but they wouldn't accept her commitment. And now the offer had some senseless "use before" shelf life that expired 8 months before the early commitment period even begins.

Anyone got a better fairy tail they'd like to spin? Some people will jump through an awful lot of hoops to try to convince themselves and others that a top recruit didn't simply tell Geno "No thanks".

The list of people who have done that is actually pretty long. Not sure why some people insist on pretending otherwise.

Believe what you want. I believe what her Dad said on the UConn board.

Last edited by PhillyCat on 04/25/18 10:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/25/18 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
allenleavell wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:
Best of luck to Samantha. She seems like a great kid.

The Hartford Courant story was just stupid and makes the UConn staff look ridiculous and petty. The more credible beat writers (Adamec and Fuller) know what happened and wrote nothing. Adamec, who knows the most about what happened, wished Samantha well on twitter which is what one would expect from Carl.

Of course Samantha was offered and then the UConn staff lost interest and essentially stopped communicating with her after she visited around New Year's. According to a family member who posted on the UConn board, she couldn't confirm whether the offer was still on the table. I'm told she tried to commit. Whatever. She should have been able to have her day without the Courant's stupid story.

All offers have a time limit for most staff. They put them out there and If the recruit does not commit by a certain time they move on to the next recruit. That how coaches do business.

Where in the world did you ever hear such a thing.

For star players offers are "We'll wait for your answer as long as you need us to wait." Since UConn never comes near the 15 limit and has zero 2019 verbals, the notion that the offer for the top rated recruit in the country "expired" is ludicrous.

This just keeps getting more absurd by the day. First she never had an offer. Then she had one and tried to commit but they wouldn't accept her commitment. And now the offer had some senseless "use before" shelf life that expired 8 months before the early commitment period even begins.

Anyone got a better fairy tail they'd like to spin? Some people will jump through an awful lot of hoops to try to convince themselves and others that a top recruit didn't simply tell Geno "No thanks".

The list of people who have done that is actually pretty long. Not sure why some people insist on pretending otherwise.

Believe what you want. I believe what her Dad said on the UConn board.

Are you suggesting that Dolphan was Sam's Dad?

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/26/18 4:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

But I believe us throwing it away to ND and the way ND won (became media darlings, dramatic exciting wins, huge media exposure, recruits now know u can win a title at ND)) will have dramatic lasting effects.

BTW, this reminds me of something that used to make me so mad. For the few years after 2001, every time that ESPN Classic (or whatever they called themselves at that time) would show ND-UConn, they always showed the BET game from 2001 and never the Jan 15 or Final Four game, because those two games were 16 and 15 point victories, while the BET game came down to a last second shot.

ND's first 3 wins against UConn were by 16 points, 15 points, and 15 points (two in 2001, one in 2004). That's 46 points. What's really weird, in a "not really of any meaningful importance" way is that UConn's first 3 wins against ND (the first 3 games of the series) were by 23, 7, and 17 points, for a combined 47 points, which is just one more than ND's first 3 game margin of victories.

However, in the last 10 or so years, ND has been winning the close games while UConn, when they win, are usually winning by 10+ points.

My point is that outside of last year's regular season game, the "exciting" games in the series (IOW, the close ones that the network figures would be "fun to watch") are now tilted towards ND, so those are the ones they're more likely to broadcast in the "history of the series" sessions.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/26/18 5:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

UCONN had that game lost twice end of regulation and OT . Both times the refs did not decide. Glen & AC both have great points of why either team was better or more successful throughout the 2017-2018 .

If you want to get technical, the refs kind of did decide in regulation. Nurse actually walked before she had the game tying layup... Wink

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 04/26/18 6:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing is, you can’t just pick a last minute play of a game and blame the refs for a call or a non-call. During a four quarter game, there are often a dozen or more close calls or non-calls, and any one of them could potentially make a difference in the outcome of the game. This includes travel calls, moving screens not called, or the level of contact allowed at different points of the game. Players make mistakes, and refs make mistakes. We are all human.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/26/18 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes Dolphan was Sams dad and all of the comments about Uconn not showing any interest fit with the timeline and the fact that Uconn moved on and were recruiting other players. Which is why the 1 reporter got a little ahead of himself as Sam said she chose between 3 schools when in fact there were only 2. As pointed out, that reporter is no longer covering Uconn.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/26/18 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
After this weekend, it is rumored that Geno is fantasizing on anti-social media that he can win his 13th and final NC in 2024 with a lineup of Hailey Van Lith, Caitlin Clark, Sasha Goforth, Destiny Adams and Cameron Brink.

However, Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd, wherever they may be, will have a strong say about that.

Last weekend, of course, had big AAU tournaments in the East and West.

In the just revised ESPNW HoopGurlz rankings for 2020, Brink, Clark, Van Lith, and Goforth are #'s 1, 2, 3 and 8. Adams, from New Jersey, is listed #1 in the 2021 class but that's only because that list in in alphabetical order.

As for 2019, Brunelle remains #1 while Haley Jones moves up to #2. Sadly, Laeticia Amihere (@theblackqueen of Canada) has dropped to #4 in 2019 because she has a serious double-ligament knee injury, which has prevented her from playing since October 2017.

Quote:
While playing for her high school team in late October, she suffered a complete tear of her anterior-cruciate ligament in her left knee. She also suffered a second-degree tear in the lateral-collateral ligament.

She is still waiting for surgery and the injury has cast doubt on basketball playing for the 2018 season.

Speculatively summarizing, UConn would be in good recruiting shape for 2019 if they got Jones, Boston and a well-recovered Amihere, although that would still leave them lacking an elite guard to back up Crystal Dangerfield and Christyn Williams.

2020 is stacked with point guards, so even if Paige Bueckers ("better at this stage than Taurasi" - Geno) is destined for Notre Dame with her "big sister" Sam Brunelle, UConn will be in good point guard shape if they can pick up Clark or Van Lith -- and then get Brink at center and someone like Goforth at forward.

2021 is the Year of Fudd, the most hyped high school player since Brittney Griner, but even if she too is destined for the mighty Irish Shillelagh Machine, UConn can get a strong class with Destiny Adams of New Jersey and Amari DeBerry of New York.

Of course, if Bueckers and Fudd are still in play, that will liven things up considerably in the recruiting wars.
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/26/18 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow. Why hasn't Amihere had surgery?

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/26/18 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

That article was written on December 21, 2017, so I'm not sure whether she's had surgery or not yet, and a 20 second Google search didn't locate anything.

I should point out that it may be difficult for UConn or any right coast team to get 2020's Brink and Van Lith out of the the Pacific northwest given the strong resurgence of the Pac 12. So also for 2019's Haley Jones, who was generally considered to remain on the west coast until she took unofficial visits to South Carolina and Texas on her own dime. I think that's when UConn and lots of other teams poured in for home visits.
acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/26/18 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Bueckers and Fudd are gonna go where Brunelle went doesn't that make UConn's decision to back off Brunelle and not offer her per the Courant a dereliction of duty?

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/26/18 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
myrtle wrote:

That article was written on December 21, 2017, so I'm not sure whether she's had surgery or not yet, and a 20 second Google search didn't locate anything.

I should point out that it may be difficult for UConn or any right coast team to get 2020's Brink and Van Lith out of the the Pacific northwest given the strong resurgence of the Pac 12. So also for 2019's Haley Jones, who was generally considered to remain on the west coast until she took unofficial visits to South Carolina and Texas on her own dime. I think that's when UConn and lots of other teams poured in for home visits.

well that's a good thing about West Coasters. About time we kept the best.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/27/18 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Yes Dolphan was Sams dad and all of the comments about Uconn not showing any interest fit with the timeline and the fact that Uconn moved on and were recruiting other players.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bufTna0WArc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/27/18 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah especially if you want to call a coach a liar, IP addresses will just bite you in the ass.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/27/18 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Nicely put, Clay. It happens to every dynasty sooner or later. No shame in it, it's just history. UConn will always be good, at least until Geno retires and probably on after that. It just won't be what it was at its peak....and there's nothing wrong with that. It's the way things are.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 7 of 18

Jump to: