RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Notre Dame 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/12/18 4:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
POY awards are based on best HS player. Recruiting rankings are based on college potential. They frequently don't match. They are recognizing different things based on different criteria. Sometimes it's the same person, sometimes it's not.

Just ask Clay about the MaxPrep HS POY award going to Ali Patberg.

People still remember that one, wondering how could I possible pick Patberg over KLS -- but Patberg had a better senior high school season than Samuelson. The tiebreaker was the state playoffs, during which KLS struggled a bit and Mater Dei lost in the semis (as I recall). Patberg scored 38 in the championship game, I think, and pretty much won the state title with that effort.

I hope she's healthy now, and has a good career at Indiana ...

It probably didn't help that Patberg was plagued by various injuries and ailments. It's hard to tell how she would have performed if she had stayed healthy the whole time.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/12/18 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
I'm not sure about Patterson, yet. She's a 6'2" Forward who will also be a sophomore. She wasn't quite ready to play as a freshman (as the saying goes, the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores), but after a year and an offseason, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets more playing time and plays much better. She's very athletic. She just had a bit of the "lost freshman" look about her at times, which is understandable since she actually was a freshman.

Patterson definitely looked lost and had a "deer in headlights" look when she played. But the fact remains she played...and in meaningful games. Granted, it was out of necessity, but she still played. That should give her a lot more confidence going into the offseason.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/13/18 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
I'm not sure about Patterson, yet. She's a 6'2" Forward who will also be a sophomore. She wasn't quite ready to play as a freshman (as the saying goes, the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores), but after a year and an offseason, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets more playing time and plays much better. She's very athletic. She just had a bit of the "lost freshman" look about her at times, which is understandable since she actually was a freshman.

Patterson definitely looked lost and had a "deer in headlights" look when she played. But the fact remains she played...and in meaningful games. Granted, it was out of necessity, but she still played. That should give her a lot more confidence going into the offseason.

I'm often amazed when I see freshmen who don't have that "lost freshman" look about them. The example that really comes to mind for me was Westbeld. When I saw her play as a freshman, I thought that she had amazing basketball IQ for a freshman, and that was one of the reasons why as a senior she was so pivotal for the team, even if her overall stats didn't seem very flashy. She's definitely one of those players for whom the word "intangibles" describes what she brings to the court.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/15/18 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No. 1 prospect Samantha Brunelle commits to No. 1 Notre Dame
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/24/18 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do any of our ND fans know, from the Irish boards or other sources, whether Samantha Brunelle had taken any unofficial visits to Notre Dame before she announced her decision?
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/24/18 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Do any of our ND fans know, from the Irish boards or other sources, whether Samantha Brunelle had taken any unofficial visits to Notre Dame before she announced her decision?

She visited last October for a football weekend with a slew of other recruits including , Anaya Peoples, Paige Bueckers, Azzi Fudd, Caitlin Clarke, Kylee Watson, Ali Campbell, Maddie Burke, Sydney Parrish, Natalija Marshall and Madyson Wilke. We have dubbed it Recruitapalooza or Nielefest over at McGraw's Bench.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/24/18 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

She visited last October for a football weekend with a slew of other recruits including , Anaya Peoples, Paige Bueckers, Azzi Fudd, Caitlin Clarke, Kylee Watson, Ali Campbell, Maddie Burke, Sydney Parrish, Natalija Marshall and Madyson Wilke. We have dubbed it Recruitapalooza or Nielefest over at McGraw's Bench.

October of 2017? Wow, that's quite an impressive, if not unprecedented, recruiting event. All those visits would have to have been unofficial and paid for by the recruits themselves. Who could have organized such a paloozafest? Not the school.

I'm actually interested in reconstructing some of the Brunelle chronology, as well as the Bueckers and Fudd chronology, for the UConn perspective, because I find the UConn-loss-of-interest-in-Brunelle theory to be so problematic as is the package theory.

But now this Recruitapalooza is very interesting, on its own, because it seems to have become a burgeoning Recruitabonanza -- already yielding Peoples and Brunelle.
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/24/18 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is some history:

Check out this tweet by Paige Beuckers: https://twitter.com/paigebueckers1/status/924462482512601088

On the football field picture, the people from left to right are Beth Cunningham, Anaya Peoples, Caitlin Clarke, Sydney Parrish, Madyson Wilke, Maddie Burke, Natalija Marshall, Ali Campbell, Paige Beuckers, Azzi Fudd, Muffet, Kylee Watson, Sam Brunelle, Carol Owens, and Niele. Anaya Peoples had committed months before this event, which was the last weekend of October last fall.

Here is a tweet from Azzi Fudd's Dad on Feb 5th, 2018, which made the ND faithful happy: https://twitter.com/tfudd23/status/960281996604985344

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/25/18 2:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND Football weekends are often used for recruiting for a number of sports. While the team isn't quite what it was "back in the day" they still have the pep rallies, pageantry, etc.

I remember reading about a ND W. Soccer recruit who was a top player for ND during the first NC in 1995. During her visit, the ND Women's Soccer coach at the time (Randy Waldrum) arrange for ND Football coach Lou Holtz to talk with her. After the meeting, the recruit, when asked by Waldrum what she thought of the meeting, said something like "He was really impressive to talk to. Who was he anyway?" Wink

tfan

PostPosted: 04/25/18 5:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is some history:

Check out this tweet by Paige Beuckers: https://twitter.com/paigebueckers1/status/924462482512601088

On the football field picture, the people from left to right are Beth Cunningham, Anaya Peoples, Caitlin Clarke, Sydney Parrish, Madyson Wilke, Maddie Burke, Natalija Marshall, Ali Campbell, Paige Beuckers, Azzi Fudd, Muffet, Kylee Watson, Sam Brunelle, Carol Owens, and Niele. Anaya Peoples had committed months before this event, which was the last weekend of October last fall.

Here is a tweet from Azzi Fudd's Dad on Feb 5th, 2018, which made the ND faithful happy: https://twitter.com/tfudd23/status/960281996604985344

Azzi Fudd's dad is wearing a Notre Dame hat and Paige Beuckers is wearing a Notre Dame hoodie at a Red Robin. I guess it could be that Notre Dame gives out a lot of swag when folks visit and it ends up getting worn. Don't know why Bueckers knows the dad though - he's in Virginia and she's in Minnesota. If she visits Fudd and Brunelle in Virginia that would make the rumor about all three going to Notre Dame seem pretty good.

Last edited by tfan on 04/25/18 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 04/25/18 5:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/26/18 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
POY awards are based on best HS player. Recruiting rankings are based on college potential. They frequently don't match. They are recognizing different things based on different criteria. Sometimes it's the same person, sometimes it's not.

Just ask Clay about the MaxPrep HS POY award going to Ali Patberg.

People still remember that one, wondering how could I possible pick Patberg over KLS -- but Patberg had a better senior high school season than Samuelson. The tiebreaker was the state playoffs, during which KLS struggled a bit and Mater Dei lost in the semis (as I recall). Patberg scored 38 in the championship game, I think, and pretty much won the state title with that effort.

I hope she's healthy now, and has a good career at Indiana ...
If you are referring to KLS senior season MD lost in the California Open finals to SMS in what people considered one of the best high school girls playoff games ever played. MD beat Chaminade in the simi's

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/26/18 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw that game, and it was pretty good, but there have been better California state title games ...

KLS said she was disappointed in her effort against St. Mary's, and she hadn't played up to POY standards down the stretch, though obviously she had a great senior season and a fabulous high school career. I saw her do amazing things at the Nike TOC almost every season, and I especially remember her and Karlie putting on a show one game in Arizona, making 25-foot threes with regularity.

A great, great player, no question ... even if she does flop a little.

PostPosted: 05/28/18 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is a fun video that features one Notre Dame verbal (Brunelle) and two young women Notre Dame is actively recruiting: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjUw9ZOAn7p/?hl=en&taken-by=passthaball

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/28/18 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is a fun video that features one Notre Dame verbal (Brunelle) and two young women Notre Dame is actively recruiting: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjUw9ZOAn7p/?hl=en&taken-by=passthaball

Will Touchdown Jesus commune with the Holy Trinity of Recruits?
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 05/28/18 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Will Touchdown Jesus commune with the Holy Trinity of Recruits?

One can only pray.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/29/18 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

I'm often amazed when I see freshmen who don't have that "lost freshman" look about them. The example that really comes to mind for me was Westbeld. When I saw her play as a freshman, I thought that she had amazing basketball IQ for a freshman, and that was one of the reasons why as a senior she was so pivotal for the team, even if her overall stats didn't seem very flashy. She's definitely one of those players for whom the word "intangibles" describes what she brings to the court.

Speaking of Westbeld, her sister, Madeline, is a top 50 recruit in the HS Class of 2020. Like her sister, she is a stretch four/versatile PF.

I wonder if Notre Dame is recruiting her.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 05/29/18 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Speaking of Westbeld, her sister, Madeline, is a top 50 recruit in the HS Class of 2020. Like her sister, she is a stretch four/versatile PF.

I wonder if Notre Dame is recruiting her.

Yes, they are recruiting her, but she is a position where ND is actively recruiting several others. She is a better dribbler and more active than her sister, more of a 3 than a 4.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: