RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allenleavell

PostPosted: 04/22/18 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
Best of luck to Samantha. She seems like a great kid.

The Hartford Courant story was just stupid and makes the UConn staff look ridiculous and petty. The more credible beat writers (Adamec and Fuller) know what happened and wrote nothing. Adamec, who knows the most about what happened, wished Samantha well on twitter which is what one would expect from Carl.

Of course Samantha was offered and then the UConn staff lost interest and essentially stopped communicating with her after she visited around New Year's. According to a family member who posted on the UConn board, she couldn't confirm whether the offer was still on the table. I'm told she tried to commit. Whatever. She should have been able to have her day without the Courant's stupid story.

All offers have a time limit for most staff. They put them out there and If the recruit does not commit by a certain time they move on to the next recruit. That how coaches do business.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/18 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

The Hartford Courant story was just stupid and makes the UConn staff look ridiculous and petty. The more credible beat writers (Adamec and Fuller) know what happened and wrote nothing. Adamec, who knows the most about what happened, wished Samantha well on twitter which is what one would expect from Carl.

Of course Samantha was offered and then the UConn staff lost interest and essentially stopped communicating with her after she visited around New Year's. According to a family member who posted on the UConn board, she couldn't confirm whether the offer was still on the table. I'm told she tried to commit. Whatever. She should have been able to have her day without the Courant's stupid story.

All offers have a time limit for most staff. They put them out there and If the recruit does not commit by a certain time they move on to the next recruit. That how coaches do business.

Where in the world did you ever hear such a thing.

For star players offers are "We'll wait for your answer as long as you need us to wait." Since UConn never comes near the 15 limit and has zero 2019 verbals, the notion that the offer for the top rated recruit in the country "expired" is ludicrous.

This just keeps getting more absurd by the day. First she never had an offer. Then she had one and tried to commit but they wouldn't accept her commitment. And now the offer had some senseless "use before" shelf life that expired 8 months before the early commitment period even begins.

Anyone got a better fairy tail they'd like to spin? Some people will jump through an awful lot of hoops to try to convince themselves and others that a top recruit didn't simply tell Geno "No thanks".

The list of people who have done that is actually pretty long. Not sure why some people insist on pretending otherwise.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 04/22/18 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
allenleavell wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

Where in the world did you ever hear such a thing.

For star players offers are "We'll wait for your answer as long as you need us to wait." Since UConn never comes near the 15 limit and has zero 2019 verbals, the notion that the offer for the top rated recruit in the country "expired" is ludicrous.

This just keeps getting more absurd by the day. First she never had an offer. Then she had one and tried to commit but they wouldn't accept her commitment. And now the offer had some senseless "use before" shelf life that expired 8 months before the early commitment period even begins.

Anyone got a better fairy tail they'd like to spin? Some people will jump through an awful lot of hoops to try to convince themselves and others that a top recruit didn't simply tell Geno "No thanks".

The list of people who have done that is actually pretty long. Not sure why some people insist on pretending otherwise.

Just seems like Uconn had moved on from Sam a while ago and are targeting Jones, both look like they will be 4/3 players in college.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/23/18 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After this weekend, it is rumored that Geno is fantasizing on anti-social media that he can win his 13th and final NC in 2024 with a lineup of Hailey Van Lith, Caitlin Clark, Sasha Goforth, Destiny Adams and Cameron Brink.

However, Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd, wherever they may be, will have a strong say about that.
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/23/18 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It appears that Bueckers and Fudd may be a package deal, even though they are a year apart.

PostPosted: 04/23/18 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hailey Van Lith - 2020

Caitlin Clark - 2020

Sasha Goforth - 2020

Destiny Adams - 2021

Cameron Brink - 2020

linkster

PostPosted: 04/23/18 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously Haley Jones didn't get the memo about Geno's fantasies.

Last edited by linkster on 04/23/18 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 04/23/18 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster

PostPosted: 04/23/18 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to one astute observer, Jones is "one of the few players who can actually play positions one through five".

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/FKLuGRBRXUevJsqA3D1hVg/2017-18-maxpreps-high-school-girls-basketball-all-american-team.htm

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/23/18 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Obviously Haley Jones didn't get the memo about Geno's fantasies.

Haley will be graduated from college in Geno's fantasmal year of the 2024 NC.

However, for '20-'23, THIS

is much, much more meaningful than THIS

because of THESE

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/24/18 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Haley Jones is an elite player, and is, as far as I can tell, a quality young person. I've interviewed her, watched her play numerous times, and know both her high school coach (Sue Phillips) and club coach (Kelly Sopak, the third person with Geno and Haley).

It will be very interesting to see which school she chooses, as she will obviously have her choice. She could wind up at Stanford, which is near her home of Santa Cruz, or Oregon or a Pac-12 school, or decide to go away from home and play with a more distant national contender.

There's this belief that coaches and their recruiting are the major influence in where someone like Jones goes to school, and there's no question they have an impact -- but for a girl like Jones, her own agenda will very likely take priority.

PostPosted: 04/24/18 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was watching an interview with ND's trash talkin' tell it like it is truth teller Mabrey last night. She was asked about how ND was able to beat UConn and she said....get ready HuskyNan...that ND was more battle tested than UConn. This is of course 100% true despite a certain board administrators jihad led against anyone who would suggest otherwise. Mabrey said they were down 22 to Tennessee and has several other deficits and tough games that prepared them. She also said they had more heart than UConn which I also think is true. The fact that Geno himself said there was ZERO evidence the Mississippi State loss motivated UConn his team spoke volumes.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/24/18 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did the MSU loss motivate Geno, or was it all the players fault?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/24/18 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of NDs players may have been ready but Mabrey was not one of them as she was terrible both games, so she is talking a lot of smack on behalf of AO, who she should kiss her feet.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/24/18 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Did the MSU loss motivate Geno, or was it all the players fault?

I'm not sure anything motivates Geno anymore. He looks overweight and tired. He can barely get a sentence out in a timely manner. His CD HOLD ME BACK attempts seem forced and ill timed. He put his foot in his mouth at least 3 times the last 6 months with the Arike tweet, calling out Cincinnati for their totally justifiable decision to fire failed Coach Jamelle Elliott, and his insane shilling for KLS to win Player of the Year. All 3 acts so misguided yet are perfect examples of how little push back he gets in his bubble.

The players have basically been turned into robots. See the shots of them on the bench late in the game, all 5 starters sitting there listening to Geno, none of them speaking, all stone faced.

If he gave Megan Walker about 5-7 minutes per game in the 2nd/3rd QTR of games they probably hold off ND. The KLS 4th foul killed them as they are not strong defensively to begin with. Meg Walker could have been sitting on a couch eating bon bons during practices. No one will ever convince me that decision didn't cost this team a championship. It did. Foul trouble was #1 threat to that team. He was borderline obsessed with his starters. He didn't want to part with them for ANY REASON. Azura getting only 27 minutes is proof of that. Walker was on the floor when UConn outscored ND by like 15 in Hartford. KLS wasn't. Make of that what you will.

So yes to answer you're question, Geno shares a lot of blame for turning his players into robots that short circuit under pressure. Time has not softened my anger at him for the outcome that was obvious to all as the season was progressing. It didn't have to be that way.

Last edited by acsuc99 on 04/24/18 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/24/18 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Some of NDs players may have been ready but Mabrey was not one of them as she was terrible both games, so she is talking a lot of smack on behalf of AO, who she should kiss her feet.

They didn't need much from her seeing brilliant Geno decided to leave Jackie Young open, a decision Muff rightfully mocked in the postgame.

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/24/18 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
Sam Brunelle calls UConn liars, they did offer her.

https://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/top-ranked-recruit-samantha-brunelle-was-ready-to-commit-to/article_406427d8-e4a3-5e1e-9389-97b41ecc0c9d.html

""They did offer me. ."------"UConn really wasn't the place for me. So for somebody to say that now, it is what it is," Brunelle said. "It's not a huge deal to me because I'm just happy with my decision and that's what's most important."----------------------------------------------------------------------
Why feel the need to even comment about a recruit choosing another school? Boy Geno and CD must really be feeling the heat!

A he says she says situation. Failure to communicate.

https://youtu.be/452XjnaHr1A?t=8s

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/24/18 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That’s a great clip Will, just what we need before anyone jumps off the deep end.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/24/18 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn Huskies
‏Verified account
@UConnHuskies
Follow Follow @UConnHuskies
More
And the Female Athlete of the Year Award winner goes to ... Gabby Williams from @UConnWBB!

How can this be? Geno was pushing Samuelson for Player of the year!

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/25/18 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
UConn Huskies
‏Verified account
@UConnHuskies
More
And the Female Athlete of the Year Award winner goes to ... Gabby Williams from @UConnWBB!

At this point, and I'm not trying to be an asshole here because I've always enjoyed your honesty, but you've gone completely overboard. Why even watch the game or follow the team anymore, because you're clearly not a fan. This is ridiculous.

Saying the team had no heart, is laughable. I was at the game, second row. They had heart, they were just completely baffled by that junk defense as Geno doesn't construct his team to have players that can beat that type of defense. We were beaten because ND had two players that could beat us off the dribble....and we didn't.

At this point, I don't even like coming to this board and reading about my team, because you've completely ruined it.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/25/18 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure wtf is going on. Sure be mad at Geno. But when you pick isolated comments it looks like there is an agenda. Geno also made comments about Gabby but they seem to be ignored. I pointed out from the beginning that Gabby and KLS were the keys to this team. And the fact that Gabby played through hip pain and KLS played nearly a whole year on torn ligaments and tendon just makes it all the more remarkable. We may need to start some meds and therapy.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/25/18 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
UConn Huskies
‏Verified account
@UConnHuskies
More

Laughing Laughing Congrats to Gabby Though !!!

PostPosted: 04/25/18 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gabby is a great athlete and it will be fun to watch her continue her career.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/25/18 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
UConn Huskies
‏Verified account
@UConnHuskies
More

At this point, and I'm not trying to be an asshole here because I've always enjoyed your honesty, but you've gone completely overboard. Why even watch the game or follow the team anymore, because you're clearly not a fan. This is ridiculous.

Saying the team had no heart, is laughable. I was at the game, second row. They had heart, they were just completely baffled by that junk defense as Geno doesn't construct his team to have players that can beat that type of defense. We were beaten because ND had two players that could beat us off the dribble....and we didn't.

At this point, I don't even like coming to this board and reading about my team, because you've completely ruined it.

Well you can always go over to North Korea aka The Boneyard where Nan is banning anyone who criticizes Geno if you don't want to hear the truth about what happened this year.

Everything I said would happen back in December/January ended up HAPPENING. It was predictable and could be seen from a mile away. You damn well better believe I am not going to shut up now. That increasingly arrogant coach and associate coach cost this team a championship. And it was entirely predictable.

Consider these questions:

1. Should Notre Dame have been better in 2018 than in 2017?

No. But they were.

2. Should UConn have been better in 2018 than in 2017?

Yes. But they weren't.

We got OUTWORKED in the off season. We beat ND easily in South Bend in 2017. Than they almost beat us in hartford a year later and beat us in the Final 4. Yes they DID have more heart than us.

3. Did the Mississippi State loss motivate UConn?

Geno himself said THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE it motivated the team. That is a stunning admission. Imagine if the 2002 team came back not motivated by the ND loss in 2001. Or the 2009 team with Stanford loss in 2008. Or the 2013 team with the 3 close losses to ND earlier in the year. The Miss State loss and buzzer beater which they were reminded of everyday should have LIT a fire. And our own coach said it didn't. Amazing.

These first 3 questions speak directly to the teams work ethic and heart which ND had more of.

Now let's answer simple questions about the current state of Geno's mind, judgment, and instincts.

4. Was it a good idea to mock Arike listing her Final 5 schools on twitter?

Hell no. It was stupid. And now that she will go down as a legend and he looks like a gigantic fool for doing so.

5. Was the University of Cincinnati justified in firing totally failed head coach Jamelle Elliot? Should Geno have taken shots on twitter about a fellow conference school even trashing the job to scare off potential coaches from taking it?

YES. AND. HELL NO.

6. Did Katie Lou Samuelson deserve to win Player of the Year over Aja Wilson?

Of course she didn't.

7. And last but not least was Megan Walker good enough to given 5-7 minutes with the top 6 thereby greatly decreasing the chance that you run into foul trouble in the Final 4?

Yes. She was. And there was NO excuse to eliminate her from the rotation and basically give up on her in February when they had plenty of time to develop her. Keep in mind he 86ed her KNOWING KLS and Crystal's injury situation. Knowing his players always get in foul trouble against ND. Knowing the Semi Final game is on a Friday night tip time around 10pm eastern where u a vulnerable to emotional physical fatigue. He knew ALL of this. And still eliminated her from the rotation. KLS 4th foul lost them that game. I will never let him live this decision down because it was a choice he made that sealed the teams fate. I posted on this board numerous times in February saying this will cost the team a championship. I hate everyday I was right. If you dont like the truth of what happened I could care less but it is the truth if you answer these questions honestly.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/25/18 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

Acsuc99 has always been an anti-lemming, non-OGS fan who is good at poking truth at perceived political correctness, logical conundrums, non-sequiturs, oxymorons, regular morons, and BS -- all with a dash (or more) of hyperbole. Since I think the purpose of WBB forums in general and this thread in particular should serve entertainment as well as informational values, I will offer three theories in response to her query.

Theories 1 and 2 are conspiracy and apocalyptic theories, and thus are the most beloved on these forums no matter how unlikely. Theory three is just common sense and probably correct, but is therefore boring.

1. Geno is no longer in control of the UConn WCBB empire -- some other, invisible hand is in control. It can't be the hand of Moseley because she vamoosed. It can't be Lister because she's barely arrived. It can't be Dailey because she's joined to Geno at the hip if not the lip. Therefore, we are forced to conclude that:

2. No one is in control of the UConn WCBB program anymore. It's adrift and leaderless and largely out of control. This can be seen from the facts that (a) more than half the starters were injured this season and could never practice, that (b) the rest of the team never got to play because they apparently were incompetent at practice, and thus (c) no one knew how to defend, score or coach against a talented team in a high-pressure close game. If you vomit at this unpalatable and unpotable analysis of UConn, then perhaps you would agree that:

3. The best overall athlete on a basketball team or at a school is not necessarily the best player on the team or at the school. Thus Gabby got the Husky Female Athlete award over her four teammates who were more effective basketball scorers. As similar examples from other UConn eras, the best athletes, but not the best basketball players, on the WCBB team may once have been Kelly Schumacher, Ashley Battle, Jessica Moore, Kalana Greene and Kelly Faris; and, in an improbable future scenario, might be (unlikely) transfer Anriel Howard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 6 of 18

Jump to: