RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Adam Silver on Get Up!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/20/18 8:45 am    ::: Adam Silver on Get Up! Reply Reply with quote

He talked about the W, including being open to the possibility of moving to a winter schedule

PostPosted: 04/20/18 9:01 am    ::: Re: Adam Silver on Get Up! Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
He talked about the W, including being open to the possibility of moving to a winter schedule

Unless they get big salary bumps, this is potentially disastrous making the better players choose between the bigger money overseas versus playing at home.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 04/20/18 9:05 am    ::: Re: Adam Silver on Get Up! Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Unless they get big salary bumps, this is potentially disastrous making the better players choose between the bigger money overseas versus playing at home.

There's also an issue of venue availability, since half the league shares an arena with either an NBA team or a college team.

PostPosted: 04/20/18 9:22 am    ::: Re: Adam Silver on Get Up! Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

There's also an issue of venue availability, since half the league shares an arena with either an NBA team or a college team.

That’s no big deal. You can just sell your scheduling algorithm to the WNBA... or per usual the WNBA just gets bumped to different venues for whatever dates.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/20/18 9:28 am    ::: Re: Adam Silver on Get Up! Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

That’s no big deal. You can just sell your scheduling algorithm to the WNBA... or per usual the WNBA just gets bumped to different venues for whatever dates.

There would be dates for the games, but they'd probably be bad dates that wouldn't draw. The Sparks might never get a weekend home game with the Lakers an Clippers in the same arena.

PostPosted: 04/20/18 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And why would ESPN televise WNBA games if it could show NBA or P5 men's games instead?

Even NBA-TV would pass on the WNBA ...

PostPosted: 04/20/18 11:49 am    ::: Re: Adam Silver on Get Up! Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I don't like this idea AT ALL!!!! More competition for eyes, cutting into the overseas schedule..... It doesn't seem as though it's for the betterment of the league. Maybe I should check it out and attempt to understand his mentality, but I'm already annoyed just thinking about it!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/20/18 11:52 am    ::: Re: Adam Silver on Get Up! Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
pilight wrote:

I don't like this idea AT ALL!!!! More competition for eyes, cutting into the overseas schedule..... It doesn't seem as though it's for the betterment of the league. Maybe I should check it out and attempt to understand his mentality, but I'm already annoyed just thinking about it!

Yes , you will see an influx of Top Players skipping the WNBA season without choice as they need their main income.

PostPosted: 04/20/18 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A winter schedule would be the death of the league. see the ABL. Arena availability, players opting to play overseas, no TV.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 04/20/18 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/espnw/voices/article/23262077/a-shift-wnba-season-show-money

Quote:
The bottom line: In order to avoid talent-drain, the WNBA needs to pay its top players more if it wants to shift its season. It needs to open up its books and examine its compensation structure. Teams' low salary cap (which is less than $1 million) coupled with the low maximum salary suppresses the values of the league's top players. Yes, you need more spectators in the arenas to get more revenue, so it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation.

PostPosted: 04/20/18 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.espn.com/espnw/voices/article/23262077/a-shift-wnba-season-show-money

Quote:
The bottom line: In order to avoid talent-drain, the WNBA needs to pay its top players more if it wants to shift its season. It needs to open up its books and examine its compensation structure. Teams' low salary cap (which is less than $1 million) coupled with the low maximum salary suppresses the values of the league's top players. Yes, you need more spectators in the arenas to get more revenue, so it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation.

Great "rebuttal"! I'm glad she responded so quickly!

Shades

PostPosted: 04/20/18 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PK-wwhQ3bO4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's Silver on a podcast from Nov 2017 talking about the WNBA from 17:54- 23:15 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK-wwhQ3bO4&feature=youtu.be&t=1074

"Society needs the WNBA"

"I admit, [the WNBA] lacks a certain cool factor."

He favors smaller venues for WNBA, and yet he thinks attendance is the bigger problem and not what's paid for broadcasting rights. BS!

Last edited by Shades on 04/20/18 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 04/20/18 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Attendance is the problem so go to smaller arenas......

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/20/18 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well the consensus when silver took over is that he would get RID of the WNBA . So at least he's trying to work through the issues .

PostPosted: 04/20/18 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

"Society needs the WNBA"

He should tell that to the NBA-TV guys who are often televising other things besides live WNBA games during the summer. Live WNBA games can lose out to the umpteenth re-run of some other content.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/21/18 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The big question about bigger salaries is this: Would getting every elite player in the world to show up every year move the revenue needle enough to pay for those increased salaries?

PostPosted: 04/21/18 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The big question about bigger salaries is this: Would getting every elite player in the world to show up every year move the revenue needle enough to pay for those increased salaries?

It's not like we've been far off that in the past. The occasional player takes a year off, and the occasional foreigner is good enough to be in that top group and yet can't be bothered with the WNBA. That's about it.

So no.

PostPosted: 04/22/18 4:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Well the consensus when silver took over is that he would get RID of the WNBA . So at least he's trying to work through the issues .

Didn't Adam Silver help start the WNBA, and continually support the WNBA during the early years when teams were folding, why did people think he would get rid of the WNBA?

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/22/18 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Didn't Adam Silver help start the WNBA, and continually support the WNBA during the early years when teams were folding, why did people think he would get rid of the WNBA?

That is my memory of this as well.

PostPosted: 04/22/18 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Will go and look for the thread but it was a big discussion here when stern appointed silver as to where would the W stand.

PostPosted: 04/22/18 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=76729&sid=4928a5d7510425041cb63e7478e0574d

Heres a bit a the discussion but not the thread i was looking for 2014 was a while back and my hands hurt trying to go that far back on here.

PostPosted: 04/22/18 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's get the league up to 16 teams. Increase the schedule to 44 games and expand the playoffs (1st round best-of-3, second round & Finals best-of-5). And I still say a second TV partner would greatly benefit the league. Player minimum would be 60-80k.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: