RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 04/19/18 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
My God, that's the first pic I've seen of Shea Ralph smiling since I don't know when! Every time I see her on TV (which is usually on the bench) or in a pic (which is admittedly usually a bench shot) she looks pained. Nice pic. She should smile once in awhile. She doesn't usually even smile when the team is leaving the court, and it makes her look way older than she is.

That's because you turn off games in which UConn isn't in danger of losing. Shea smiles a lot when the team is on their game but as you have said you stop watching by then. Very Happy
In my case the only image I have of Pat Summitt is her contorted face while berating her team in the locker room at halftime.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/19/18 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually I rarely watch UConn games at all and only get highlights of them when watching other games, and on Sports Center. Too bad about that Wink

PostPosted: 04/19/18 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jasmine Lister back!! Woo hoo!!!

Hottest woman in the sport right now! Literally! Laughing

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/19/18 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
Jasmine Lister back!! Woo hoo!!!

Hottest woman in the sport right now! Literally! Laughing

Actually, there are two of them, as Jasmine has a twin sister, Cinnamon, who tore it up at CSUN.

They both have this tattoo on the back of their right shoulders:

Sisters by Blood
Twins by Chance
Best Friends by Choice

as can be seen at 2:10 of this video of the Lister sister journey.

Here is Geno commenting on Jasmine's coaching potential in January of 2016:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o3GnPqJfI00" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/19/18 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sam Brunelle calls UConn liars, they did offer her.

https://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/top-ranked-recruit-samantha-brunelle-was-ready-to-commit-to/article_406427d8-e4a3-5e1e-9389-97b41ecc0c9d.html

""They did offer me. I went on a visit and sat with (head coach) Geno (Auriemma), and he told me," Brunelle said. "That's false information."

"UConn really wasn't the place for me. So for somebody to say that now, it is what it is," Brunelle said. "It's not a huge deal to me because I'm just happy with my decision and that's what's most important."

Brilliant job UConn staff who leaked that. And of course the CT media laps iit up and reports it when a basic fact check could confirm they did offer her. Bad look all around. Why feel the need to even comment about a recruit choosing another school? Boy Geno and CD must really be feeling the heat!

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/19/18 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
Sam Brunelle calls UConn liars, they did offer her.

https://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/top-ranked-recruit-samantha-brunelle-was-ready-to-commit-to/article_406427d8-e4a3-5e1e-9389-97b41ecc0c9d.html

""They did offer me. I went on a visit and sat with (head coach) Geno (Auriemma), and he told me," Brunelle said. "That's false information."

"UConn really wasn't the place for me. So for somebody to say that now, it is what it is," Brunelle said. "It's not a huge deal to me because I'm just happy with my decision and that's what's most important."

Brilliant job UConn staff who leaked that. And of course the CT media laps iit up and reports it when a basic fact check could confirm they did offer her. Bad look all around. Why feel the need to even comment about a recruit choosing another school? Boy Geno and CD must really be feeling the heat!

Who to you believe?

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/19/18 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I absolutely believe at some point they offered her. Whether they backed off who knows.

The real question, why the hell did ANYONE associated with UConn feel the need to dump on an 18 yr old girl in their local rag the day she committed to her school of choice. That is a bad look all around regardless if they didn't offer.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/19/18 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seemed like a school trying to dim a players light out of spite if anyone asks me.... Confused

PostPosted: 04/19/18 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carl Ademec reported on SNY in 2017 that Brunelle received an offer from Geno during her visit in Oct 2016.

Why would he have lied about that a year ago when they were still recruiting her?

Guess some of Geno's wine grapes have gone sour from her rejection of his efforts.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/20/18 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In my earlier post, I called the information in the Hartford Courant article contradictory and illogical. However, I strongly doubt the source of the information was from the UConn coaching staff or athletic department. I rather believe a lazy and trigger happy reporter was taken in by some third party source who convinced the reporter that he or she (the source) had inside information.

Look first at the first sentence of the relevant paragraph. It is affirmatively declaratory and unconditional: "She did not pick the Irish over UConn."

However, the next two sentences in the paragraph, which supposedly back up the declaration, are weak in three respects. First, the the source(s) are identified as unnamed person(s?) "familiar with the process", which is very ambiguous. It doesn't say which side of the process these sources are on -- the UConn side, the Brunelle side, or some third side.

Second, the sentence says these sources "indicate" -- not that they "say", not that they "state", not that they "know" -- just that they indicate that UConn did not offer Brunelle a scholarship. "Indicate" is a rather weak verb, much too weak for a reporter to rely on without confirmation.

The third sentence, which supposedly gives a rationale as to why UConn did not offer Brunelle a scholarship, is, to the contrary, a patently false choice that is so illogical as to be a non-sequitur: "Instead, UConn focused its frontcourt recruiting efforts on Aliyah Boston, a 6-foot-4 forward from Worcester Academy and also a junior." This makes no basketball sense, because Brunelle and Boston have two very different skill sets. Boston is a low post banger while Brunelle is a finesse forward with range to the arc. It's very logical that UConn would have been recruiting both players, because UConn needs both skill sets from 2019 class.

Finally, schools are not allowed to comment on this level of detail about recruits.

For all these reasons, I choose to believe that UConn was not the source of this erroneous and illogical information, but that the Courant reporter was impetuously taken in by a third party just to get some quick clicks for his newspaper and career.

If I'm wrong, and the information came from UConn, the person or persons involved should not only be ashamed . . . they should be fired.
acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/20/18 4:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
In my earlier post, I called the information in the Hartford Courant article contradictory and illogical. However, I strongly doubt the source of the information was from the UConn coaching staff or athletic department. I rather believe a lazy and trigger happy reporter was taken in by some third party source who convinced the reporter that he or she (the source) had inside information.

Look first at the first sentence of the relevant paragraph. It is affirmatively declaratory and unconditional: "She did not pick the Irish over UConn."

However, the next two sentences in the paragraph, which supposedly back up the declaration, are weak in three respects. First, the the source(s) are identified as unnamed person(s?) "familiar with the process", which is very ambiguous. It doesn't say which side of the process these sources are on -- the UConn side, the Brunelle side, or some third side.

Second, the sentence says these sources "indicate" -- not that they "say", not that they "state", not that they "know" -- just that they indicate that UConn did not offer Brunelle a scholarship. "Indicate" is a rather weak verb, much too weak for a reporter to rely on without confirmation.

The third sentence, which supposedly gives a rationale as to why UConn did not offer Brunelle a scholarship, is, to the contrary, a patently false choice that is so illogical as to be a non-sequitur: "Instead, UConn focused its frontcourt recruiting efforts on Aliyah Boston, a 6-foot-4 forward from Worcester Academy and also a junior." This makes no basketball sense, because Brunelle and Boston have two very different skill sets. Boston is a low post banger while Brunelle is a finesse forward with range to the arc. It's very logical that UConn would have been recruiting both players, because UConn needs both skill sets from 2019 class.

Finally, schools are not allowed to comment on this level of detail about recruits.

For all these reasons, I choose to believe that UConn was not the source of this erroneous and illogical information, but that the Courant reporter was impetuously taken in by a third party just to get some quick clicks for his newspaper and career.

If I'm wrong, and the information came from UConn, the person or persons involved should not only be ashamed . . . they should be fired.

I agree Glenn. I can't imagine anyone on the staff would be dumb enough to try to rain on the parade of an 18 yr old the day she announces her decision. It's bad taste and a bad look. I am inclined to believe it came from some secondary source and used by the earnest eager beaver Mike Anthony trying to preach to the choir.

If it did come from the staff than they are rattled and insecure following the Final 4 loss.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/20/18 5:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glenn points out how it was just 1 reporter, not the horde. Is he new Glenn, as I don’t recall him being around much over the years?

My understanding, as I posted previously, was that the staff moved on and as Glenn pointed out, went in a different direction.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/20/18 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

I agree Glenn. I can't imagine anyone on the staff would be dumb enough to try to rain on the parade of an 18 yr old the day she announces her decision. It's bad taste and a bad look.

Why would you think Geno would never do something that "dumb" (your word)? He's done similar other times, trying to say he wasn't recruiting someone who just turned him down, when the whole world knows he had been recruiting the person hard. As one example, it took him a matter of minutes to make his famous tweet about Ogunbowale when she left him off her list of final five schools.

I think telling one or more of the reporters in his little clutch of UConn WBB hangers-on a lie about Brunelle is completely within his typical pattern of behavior.

I suspect the same story was given to others in the UConn WBB "horde" but the other more established ones like Ademec didn't repeat it because it contradicted their previous reporting and they knew the new spin was bullshit.

Most likely UConn "moved on" after Brunelle visited Storrs again three months ago because she let them know shortly thereafter that she was no longer seriously interested in UConn.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 04/20/18 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This type of situation comes up again with UConn and ND...when Arika made her announcent of her final 5 choices and UConn was not on it and then she commited to ND, Geno came out with a less then professional tweet about her without calling her out by name...

Now this young lady commits to ND and UConn is again in the middle of a negative comment about her...

Hapens once it can be over-looked...twice, it tends me to believe the student-athlete...and BOTH situations involve ND...as there is NO love between those two coaches...as Geno said a couple of years ago when ND beat them again - (paraphrasing) if you think we will go out and have a glass of wine together - that shit ain't happening...and McGraw has said that the civility between the two schoos has declined since they both left the Big East...not just the schools but the coaches too.

Watching Gino and his snide comments and BIG ego, do you really think he goes "quietly" when he does not get what he wants? His antics were somewhat fun years ago, but they get old the older he gets and the longer he coaches...

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/20/18 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The tweet was for his friend Bruno, if you think that Geno cares about recruits that go to other schools, then who is the delusional one. Brunelle s own camp were posting on the Boneyard asking why Uconn stopped showing interest in her, not the other way around. Maybe the question should have been posed, when was the last time you spoke to Geno. She could lie of course, but then she would be lying and all the coaches at Uconn would know etc etc. maybe she should have acted like a Uconn recruit who goes to Uconn and responded to the press without trying to save face and doubling down on why she couldn’t actually go to Uconn as they stopped recruiting her. By just saying that ND was the school for her. Instead she acts the way some are accusing UCONN of acting. Pot calling the kettle much.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/20/18 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
The tweet was for his friend Bruno, if you think that Geno cares about recruits that go to other schools, then who is the delusional one.

Yeah, you've tried that line before. Nobody but a few UConn fanatics believes it, and I doubt you or most of your ilk actually believe it either. Everyone else knows the reality that it was a snide juvenile shot at Arike by a jilted suitor.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/20/18 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow we have a psychic on this board who reads minds and calls people “of your ilk”. I think everyone knows where that is coming from or can’t anyone else read minds.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 04/20/18 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ignore. I just think of Muffet whining and sounding like Charlie Brown Laughing

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/20/18 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
maybe she should have acted like a Uconn recruit who goes to Uconn and responded to the press without trying to save face and doubling down on why she couldn’t actually go to Uconn as they stopped recruiting her. By just saying that ND was the school for her. Instead she acts the way some are accusing UCONN of acting. Pot calling the kettle much.

So what UConn recruit was mentioned as having received an offer by another school and then after committing to UConn, had an article that said that the other school in fact had never offered her? I'm curious, because I don't recall hearing of this happening. Maybe you can enlighten me on that. Wink

You are being rather disingenuous about this. You just said "UConn stopped recruiting her." What the article said was the UConn never offered her. Those are two different things.

Do you think she received an offer, as was reported by a CT newspaper a while ago? If so, then why would her saying that she had received an offer and that the report was untrue be "like what UConn is accused of doing?"

From an article on ND insider:

“They did offer me. I went on a visit (in 2016) and sat with (head coach) Geno (Auriemma), and he told me,” Brunelle said. “That’s false information.”

The issue isn't who cooled on whom first. The issue is that it was widely reported that UConn had given her an offer, but right after she gives her official verbal to another school, an article comes out suggesting that she hadn't been offered.

as for

responded to the press without trying to save face and doubling down on why she couldn’t actually go to Uconn as they stopped recruiting her. By just saying that ND was the school for her.

Here is what she said in the linked article:

“UConn really wasn’t the place for me. So for somebody to say that now, it is what it is,” Brunelle said. “It’s not a huge deal to me because I’m just happy with my decision and that’s what’s most important.”

That certainly sounds like she is saying that ND was the school for her. Her main issue seems to be that there are claims that she wasn't offered when she was. This isn't her questioning whether UConn "lost interest." This is about a clearly false claim that they never initially offered her.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/20/18 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this good cop bad cop or are you and the other just posting under different pseudo s. That’s my point and thanks for making it, I don’t know of any Uconn recruit who would care or be allowed to dis on another program. And Btws if you cannot read, I believe myself and Glenn said it was 1 reporter and we don’t think it was an accurate report.

And no the issue isn’t just if Uconn recruited her, but the fact she said she chose between 3 schools and yet Uconn had moved on some time ago to other recruits, which initiated the posts on The Boneyard as to why they lost interest.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/20/18 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laeticia Amihere, theblackqueen of Canada, and top 5 prospect in 2019 along with Samantha Brunelle, retweeted Brunelle's commitment to Notre Dame.

https://twitter.com/babybruney33/status/985634928380596225

Amihere is one of Notre Dame's 2019 targets.

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/top-ranked-player-samantha-brunelle-commits-to-notre-dame
acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/21/18 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jasmine out on the trail already. Cool

[/img]https://twitter.com/PBevBallNPrep/status/987645370346942464

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/22/18 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finally a coach active on social media for UConn!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh20yTkHeC9/?hl=en&taken-by=jaslister11

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 04/22/18 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best of luck to Samantha. She seems like a great kid.

The Hartford Courant story was just stupid and makes the UConn staff look ridiculous and petty. The more credible beat writers (Adamec and Fuller) know what happened and wrote nothing. Adamec, who knows the most about what happened, wished Samantha well on twitter which is what one would expect from Carl.

Of course Samantha was offered and then the UConn staff lost interest and essentially stopped communicating with her after she visited around New Year's. According to a family member who posted on the UConn board, she couldn't confirm whether the offer was still on the table. I'm told she tried to commit. Whatever. She should have been able to have her day without the Courant's stupid story.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/22/18 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks Philly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 5 of 18

Jump to: