New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 04/18/18 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Stokes, Rodgers and Hartley (originally I was thinking Boyd our injured PG for yours but I though Hartley would make it seem more appealing to Laimbeer) for Harrison and Jefferson

Jefferson/Boyd/L. Allen
Zelous/Prince
Nurse/B. Allen
Charles/Zahui B
Harrison/Vaughn/Russell

You love LAllen so much, this is your way of starting her.

Nah, I just wanted to do something dramatic after doing my very realistic take on the team roster. It is clearly an exercise in fantasy GMing, while trying to keep things slightly realistic.

I’m not sure you fully understood what I was getting at. It sounds like neither Jefferson or Boyd will be healthy enough to start the season.

That would a risky proposition just in case neither really got healthy this season.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/18/18 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Stokes, Rodgers and Hartley (originally I was thinking Boyd our injured PG for yours but I though Hartley would make it seem more appealing to Laimbeer) for Harrison and Jefferson

Jefferson/Boyd/L. Allen
Zelous/Prince
Nurse/B. Allen
Charles/Zahui B
Harrison/Vaughn/Russell

Nah, I just wanted to do something dramatic after doing my very realistic take on the team roster. It is clearly an exercise in fantasy GMing, while trying to keep things slightly realistic.

I’m not sure you fully understood what I was getting at. It sounds like neither Jefferson or Boyd will be healthy enough to start the season.

That would a risky proposition just in case neither really got healthy this season.

I didn't say anything because I realize that J-Spoon was just suggesting this trade for fun. That said, I had the same reaction. The Liberty are in win-now mode. There's no way they would intentionally start the season with two injured PGs who both have open-ended time frames for their return. Even if you're fairly sure they will return, you have no idea how they'll perform. It's like Piph two years ago -- she came back for a few games looking gimpy and rusty. On top of that, you'd be competing with only 10 players for much of the season since neither Boyd nor Jefferson can be suspended and temporarily replaced.

PostPosted: 04/18/18 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People are really overrating Nurse on both sides of the ball...80% of her shot attempts were wide open 3's/long range 2's or layups.She's below average at creating her own shot.Nurse led Uconn in minutes(33.1) by a good margin(3.4 more than KS)...But yet,was only 5th on the team in rebounding(3.5) and 5th in asst(2.Cool...Even A.Stevens had a higher asst rate(1.9 in 20mpg).I don't believe Kia will have the same success shooting the 3 ball at the pro level unless she changes her form.Nurse does three things that will not fly at the next level:1.Low release point on her shot...2.Sticks the ball out before she goes into her shooting motion/Shot is not tight/ball isn't close to her body...3.Gets very little lift on her shot...By comparison,Vivians/Brown have a higher release point,both keep the ball tight when going into their shooting motion,and both get more lift on their shot.Nurse will sometimes rush/increase the speed on the release of her shot,but that only compromises the form.Kia shoots a higher percentage when she takes her time.

On the defensive side of the ball,Nurse had the luxury of having Gabby,Stevens,and Collier as back stop defenders.Nurse was 4th in steals.When you lead the team in minutes as a guard,and have a reputation for being an elite defender,being top 2 or 3 in steals should be a given.However,to be fair,having a bunch of steals doesn't equate to being a great defender.Futhermore,there's no way in hell Kia Nurse is taller/Longer than Gabby Williams.Gabby is closer to 6'0 than 5'11,and has a huge wingspan...Can Kia play SF?...That depends on the opponent.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/18/18 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
People are really overrating Nurse on both sides of the ball...80% of her shot attempts were wide open 3's/long range 2's or layups.She's below average at creating her own shot.Nurse led Uconn in minutes(33.1) by a good margin(3.4 more than KS)...But yet,was only 5th on the team in rebounding(3.5) and 5th in asst(2.Cool...Even A.Stevens had a higher asst rate(1.9 in 20mpg).I don't believe Kia will have the same success shooting the 3 ball at the pro level unless she changes her form.Nurse does three things that will not fly at the next level:1.Low release point on her shot...2.Sticks the ball out before she goes into her shooting motion/Shot is not tight/ball isn't close to her body...3.Gets very little lift on her shot...By comparison,Vivians/Brown have a higher release point,both keep the ball tight when going into their shooting motion,and both get more lift on their shot.Nurse will sometimes rush/increase the speed on the release of her shot,but that only compromises the form.Kia shoots a higher percentage when she takes her time.

On the defensive side of the ball,Nurse had the luxury of having Gabby,Stevens,and Collier as back stop defenders.Nurse was 4th in steals.When you lead the team in minutes and have a reputation for being an elite defender,being top 2 or 3 in steals should be a given.However,to be fair,having a bunch of steals doesn't equate to being a great defender.Futhermore,there's no way in hell Kia Nurse is taller/Longer than Gabby Williams.Gabby is closer to 6'0 than 5'11,and has a huge wingspan...Can Kia play SF?...That depends on the opponent.

I used to believe what you do about 3-pt shooting, but I've been proven wrong. I was concerned about Candice Wiggins and Tiffany Hayes coming out of college, but their low release points didn't hurt them at the next level. I didn't see Katie Douglas in college, but she had that awkward shot with a lowish release point in the pros. She still had a very good career. What I've learned is that most 3pt shots are taken off kick-out passes or during fastbreaks. Also, defenders are taught to be really careful about fouling 3pt shooters. Consequently, most 3pt shots actually are wide open or fairly open. That's why when the Kristi Toliver/Alex Bentley/Ivory Latta types shoot fade away 3s over outstretched arms and in people's faces, they elicit oohs and ahhs. Tightly contested 3s are not the norm.

As far as defense goes, it's primarily a team effort. I forget which coach said it recently, but he commented that everyone gets beat on defense. It's just a matter of whether you get beat on the first, second or third move. If you can hang in there for the first two, it gives your teammates a chance to provide help. For good defensive teams, that's usually enough. For bad defensive teams, you're on your own anyway. Laughing

My concern for Nurse is the same I have for all rookie perimeter players who have to make the transition to playing off the bench. It's hard for anyone to maintain their shooting rhythm when coming in cold off the bench, but it's particularly hard if you're not used to it. Nurse became a starter in her 3rd game at UConn. I don't know how long she's been a starter for Team Canada, but it's been awhile. Kia has very little experience coming off the bench. For someone who is a historically streaky shooter, that's going to be a tremendous challenge. These days, the norm for people who shoot mostly 3s seems to be an overall FG% of under 40%. It's just a matter of whether they can keep their 3pt% at 33% or higher. So, I'm not expecting Nurse to shoot anywhere near her college percentages.

PostPosted: 04/18/18 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
zune69 wrote:

On the defensive side of the ball,Nurse had the luxury of having Gabby,Stevens,and Collier as back stop defenders.Nurse was 4th in steals.When you lead the team in minutes and have a reputation for being an elite defender,being top 2 or 3 in steals should be a given.However,to be fair,having a bunch of steals doesn't equate to being a great defender.Futhermore,there's no way in hell Kia Nurse is taller/Longer than Gabby Williams.Gabby is closer to 6'0 than 5'11,and has a huge wingspan...Can Kia play SF?...That depends on the opponent.

I used to believe what you do about 3-pt shooting, but I've been proven wrong. I was concerned about Candice Wiggins and Tiffany Hayes coming out of college, but their low release points didn't hurt them at the next level. I didn't see Katie Douglas in college, but she had that awkward shot with a lowish release point in the pros. She still had a very good career. What I've learned is that most 3pt shots are taken off kick-out passes or during fastbreaks. Also, defenders are taught to be really careful about fouling 3pt shooters. Consequently, most 3pt shots actually are wide open or fairly open. That's why when the Kristi Toliver/Alex Bentley/Ivory Latta types shoot fade away 3s over outstretched arms and in people's faces, they elicit oohs and ahhs. Tightly contested 3s are not the norm.

As far as defense goes, it's primarily a team effort. I forget which coach said it recently, but he commented that everyone gets beat on defense. It's just a matter of whether you get beat on the first, second or third move. If you can hang in there for the first two, it gives your teammates a chance to provide help. For good defensive teams, that's usually enough. For bad defensive teams, you're on your own anyway. Laughing

My concern for Nurse is the same I have for all rookie perimeter players who have to make the transition to playing off the bench. It's hard for anyone to maintain their shooting rhythm when coming in cold off the bench, but it's particularly hard if you're not used to it. Nurse became a starter in her 3rd game at UConn. I don't know how long she's been a starter for Team Canada, but it's been awhile. Kia has very little experience coming off the bench. For someone who is a historically streaky shooter, that's going to be a tremendous challenge. These days, the norm for people who shoot mostly 3s seems to be an overall FG% of under 40%. It's just a matter of whether they can keep their 3pt% at 33% or higher. So, I'm not expecting Nurse to shoot anywhere near her college percentages.

Two very perceptive critical analyses of Nurse, in my opinion. She's always been somewhat of an enigma to me, especially whether she's a good shooter or not, and I'm curious to see how she performs outside of her UConn role cocoon.
Shades

PostPosted: 04/18/18 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nurse is a great defender. She covers her man so close that they are a very poor option to go to. Kinda hard to get steals when your man isn’t at the receiving end of a pass. Zune probably prefers defenders who gamble and jump passing lanes to amass steals, like McCoughtry.

I forget, who won the AAC defensive player of the year?

zune69

PostPosted: 04/18/18 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

I used to believe what you do about 3-pt shooting, but I've been proven wrong. I was concerned about Candice Wiggins and Tiffany Hayes coming out of college, but their low release points didn't hurt them at the next level. I didn't see Katie Douglas in college, but she had that awkward shot with a lowish release point in the pros.

Wiggins,Hayes,and Douglas could create offense and space off the dribble.Nurse is more of a catch and shoot 3 point shooter.However,Nurse not being a primary scorer just might work to her advantage.The defense will be so focused on Charles,Prince,etc....that Nurse will get more open looks.

root_thing wrote:

Nurse should be fine against the shorter SF's(Clark,McBride,Christmas,KML)...But she'll be overmatched against the bigger ones(Moore,McCoughtry,Bonner)...Although I firmly believe Nurse has the size/strength to be a very good defensive shooting guard...And you're 100% spot on.Having a good defense comes down to the team as a whole,not one individual.

root_thing wrote:

Nurse wasn't one of the primary offensive players at UCONN.The offense mostly ran through GW,KS,NC,and AS.So I think coming off the bench won't impact her game.Nurse might actually play better coming off the bench(No pressure)

Last edited by zune69 on 04/18/18 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
zune69

PostPosted: 04/18/18 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Nurse is a great defender. She covers her man so close that they are a very poor option to go to. Kinda hard to get steals when your man isn’t at the receiving end of a pass. Zune probably prefers defenders who gamble and jump passing lanes to amass steals, like McCoughtry.

Did you not read my last post?...I clearly stated that getting a bunch of steals does not make a player a great defender....I believe Nurse for the most part will be overmatched at SF...Shooting guard is a different story.kia has the size and speed to be a very good defender at the SG position.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/18/18 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

On the defensive side of the ball,Nurse had the luxury of having Gabby,Stevens,and Collier as back stop defenders.Nurse was 4th in steals.When you lead the team in minutes as a guard,and have a reputation for being an elite defender,being top 2 or 3 in steals should be a given.However,to be fair,having a bunch of steals doesn't equate to being a great defender.Futhermore,there's no way in hell Kia Nurse is taller/Longer than Gabby Williams.Gabby is closer to 6'0 than 5'11,and has a huge wingspan...Can Kia play SF?...That depends on the opponent.

That Part ___________ x Also that little minny hop she takes before she shoots needs to be watched more closely and most likely called a travel in the WNBA.

PostPosted: 04/18/18 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Did you not read my last post?...I clearly stated that getting a bunch of steals does not make a player a great defender....I believe Nurse for the most part will be overmatched at SF...Shooting guard is a different story.kia has the size and speed to be a very good defender at the SG position.

You made a pitch that being 4th in steals makes you a poor defender. I just wanted to explain why that was a crock because you didn’t explain it at all. If you’re retracting that notion, then your whole premise for calling her a poor defender falls apart. Not tall enough to guard SF? I guess there are many SF that aren’t tall enough. She seems ideal height to me. Is she strong enough? I suppose that’s debatable. I just know that she doesn’t deserve to be slighted for defense.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/18/18 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson/Boyd/L. Allen
Zelous/Prince
Nurse/B. Allen
Charles/Zahui B
Harrison/Vaughn/Russell

I didn't say anything because I realize that J-Spoon was just suggesting this trade for fun. That said, I had the same reaction. The Liberty are in win-now mode. There's no way they would intentionally start the season with two injured PGs who both have open-ended time frames for their return. Even if you're fairly sure they will return, you have no idea how they'll perform. It's like Piph two years ago -- she came back for a few games looking gimpy and rusty. On top of that, you'd be competing with only 10 players for much of the season since neither Boyd nor Jefferson can be suspended and temporarily replaced.

No I got that part too, but how long are they both really going to be out? I bet both are playing by June. My guess is their timelines are being overly cautious.

zune69

PostPosted: 04/18/18 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:

You made a pitch that being 4th in steals makes you a poor defender. I just wanted to explain why that was a crock because you didn’t explain it at all. If you’re retracting that notion, then your whole premise for calling her a poor defender falls apart. Not tall enough to guard SF? I guess there are many SF that aren’t tall enough. She seems ideal height to me. Is she strong enough? I suppose that’s debatable. I just know that she doesn’t deserve to be slighted for defense.

I never called Nurse a poor defender,not one time.You can be a very good defender and still be overrated.Case in point,Nurse being named DPOTY..We all know Gabby was the best defender on UConn.When Arike Ogunbowale was going off late in the game vs UConn,who was mostly guarding her?...the answer is G.Williams.I also pointed out that Nurse is big enough to guard some of the small forwards but not all...And how did I slight Nurse's defense when clearly said she has the size/strength to be a very good defensive shooting guard?

1.Stop putting words in peoples mouths.

2.Stop trying to be a mind reader.

3.Stop assuming that you know more about women's basketball just because you're good at debating/arguing your point.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/19/18 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Melbourne Boomers sign Lindsay Allen

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/19/18 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

That Part ___________ x Also that little minny hop she takes before she shoots needs to be watched more closely and most likely called a travel in the WNBA.

I don't know how we're "overrating" Nurse when the discussion has mostly been about where she will get minutes as a backup. Are you guys suggesting that she'll be nailed to the bench and get no minutes at all except garbage time?

PostPosted: 04/19/18 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I don't know how we're "overrating" Nurse when the discussion has mostly been about where she will get minutes as a backup. Are you guys suggesting that she'll be nailed to the bench and get no minutes at all except garbage time?

Agreed. I haven't seen any "overrating" of Nurse. No one has written of her as a sure-fire All Star or anything within a mile of that. No one has suggested she'll be a starter. All I've seen is that some people have slightly higher or lower opinions of her offensive skills and possibilities. And some people have slightly higher or lower opinions of her defensive skills and possibilities. Why this is such a divisive discussion baffles me.

PostPosted: 04/19/18 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

In every pic I’ve seen where Nurse and Gabby Williams are standing or sitting
straight up Nurse is taller. In Root’s picture Nurse is at least an inch taller than Taurasi if not two. She definitely has SF height for the WNBA. And length. And hops. The question is does she have the weight. But I like her guarding Angel. I like her guarding Stricklen. I like her guarding any of DT, EDD or Bonner more so than any of the options we put out there last year.

Nurse guarding McCoughtry,a 6'4 Bonner,or 6'6 EDD better than any Liberty player from last season is very high Praise IMO.

J-Spoon hypothetical post-trade lineup had Nurse starting.

J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson/Boyd/L. Allen
Zelous/Prince
Nurse/B. Allen
Charles/Zahui B
Harrison/Vaughn/Russell

And comparing the Senior seasons of Nurse/Nared's is a bit unfair...Nurse was the 5th option on UConn while Nared was 1st.Nurse got wide open looks while Nared had to create her own offense...I'd bet my life savings that if Nared/Nurse switched teams,Nared would have been the higher pick.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/19/18 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

In every pic I’ve seen where Nurse and Gabby Williams are standing or sitting
straight up Nurse is taller. In Root’s picture Nurse is at least an inch taller than Taurasi if not two. She definitely has SF height for the WNBA. And length. And hops. The question is does she have the weight. But I like her guarding Angel. I like her guarding Stricklen. I like her guarding any of DT, EDD or Bonner more so than any of the options we put out there last year.

Nurse guarding McCoughtry,a 6'4 Bonner,or 6'6 EDD better than any Liberty player from last season is very high Praise IMO.

J-Spoon hypothetical post-trade lineup had Nurse starting.

J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson/Boyd/L. Allen
Zelous/Prince
Nurse/B. Allen
Charles/Zahui B
Harrison/Vaughn/Russell

And comparing the Senior seasons of Nurse/Nared's is a bit unfair...Nurse was the 5th option on UConn while Nared was 1st.Nurse got wide open looks while Nared had to create her own offense...I'd bet my life savings that if Nared/Nurse switched teams,Nared would have been the higher pick.

You mean the fantasy trade where I'm trading Stokes, Rodgers and Hartley for Harrison and Jefferson that is a reliable source.

In the first line up I created after the draft she is right behind Rodgers and Prince as the 3rd SG.

If you read earlier in the same thread I'm pretty un-inspired by our draft which certainly isn't a ringing endorsement of Nurse and I question whether Nurse should knock off B. Allen.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/19/18 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I think people are under estimating where B. Allen is on the depth chart

I've got

Hartley/L. Allen/Boyd
Prince/Rodgers/Nurse
Zelous/B. Allen
Charles/Zahui B or Gray
Stokes/Vaughn/Russell

I think if we keep Russell I could see Gray or Alleyne beating out Zahui B if we want to go with a more physical player, I also don't think Russell is guaranteed, and we won't go wih 8 on the perimeter so if the person in charge decides to keep B. Allen the really only true SF we have than one of the 6 guards have to go.

Also I really like Nurse but I wouldn't play her ahead of Prince, Rodgers, Hartley or Zelous ATM, and probably not L. Allen either maybe in a few months.

I almost feel like something has to give on the perimeter, either a trade involving Rodgers, Prince or L. Allen, and I think to a certain degree L. Allen is the last one we should give up. If there isn't a trade the cut is between Boyd, L. Allen, and B. Allen but I don't think it as clear as we're making it out to be.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/19/18 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will take that bet. Nared would not have been a Geno type player and if she had gone to Uconn she would have transferred having sat the bench. I get some of the comments on Nurse as yes, her 3s were wide open as the perimeter defense focused more on where KLS was but isn’t that what she will be expected to do in the W. The only problem could come with the extra distance from the basket and even KML has shown struggles with that. But Nurse will work her butt of on defense which is more than I can say about the majority of college players.

BTWs won’t try to take your life savings Smile

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/19/18 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
I will take that bet. Nared would not have been a Geno type player and if she had gone to Uconn she would have transferred having sat the bench. I get some of the comments on Nurse as yes, her 3s were wide open as the perimeter defense focused more on where KLS was but isn’t that what she will be expected to do in the W. The only problem could come with the extra distance from the basket and even KML has shown struggles with that. But Nurse will work her butt of on defense which is more than I can say about the majority of college players.

BTWs won’t try to take your life savings Smile

Players who struggle to create their own shot , dont seem to last long in this league. Ijs

PostPosted: 04/19/18 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The league needs and also has role players.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/19/18 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
The league needs and also has role players.

That can create their own shot. Thats where this league is headed. Players who can create vs those who cannot. Example : NBA

PostPosted: 04/19/18 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every team needs someone who can spread the floor so that some other player has space to get to the basket. Not enough teams have those types of shooters. The question will be whether the extra distance will make her less efficient.

zune69

PostPosted: 04/19/18 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having a difference of opinion on Rebkell now means you're being divisive?...okay Laughing ....I guess breaking down a players shooting mechanics,scrutinizing their height,and debating how impactful they’ll be on defense in the pros is frowned upon on this website.

J-Spoon wrote:

You mean the fantasy trade where I'm trading Stokes, Rodgers and Hartley for Harrison and Jefferson that is a reliable source.

@J-Spoon...I wasn’t being critical of your trade proposal/Hypothetical lineup...I was Just pointing out the starting lineup that included Nurse,even if it was a fantasy trade.

bballjunkie wrote:
I will take that bet. Nared would not have been a Geno type player and if she had gone to Uconn she would have transferred having sat the bench.

Auriemma quote
Quote:
"Jaime's really good and really talented," Auriemma said. "As is Mercedes Russell. I haven't really seen them play a lot since high school. I don't see them that often now since we don't play them. But I thought the two of them were really impressive for a lot of reasons out in Colorado. I'm not surprised that they both made the team. They were really, really good."

J.Nared:Geno Auriemma Is 'So Dope'

https://youtu.be/N94PTS4gN-E

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/19/18 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nared doesn’t go hard that’s my opinion and not going hard gets you a spot on the bench, that’s why there were certain players on the bench who some thought should have been playing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 42 of 90

Jump to: