RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Joanne PMAC out on medical leave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/16/18 11:42 am    ::: Joanne PMAC out on medical leave Reply Reply with quote

Duke women's Coach is out on leave for a couple of months with kidney ailment.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23198687/duke-joanne-p-mccallie-takes-leave-kidney-issue

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/16/18 1:29 pm    ::: Re: Joanne PMAC out on medical leave Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23198687/duke-joanne-p-mccallie-takes-leave-kidney-issue

I am not that knowledeable about this sort of thing. So this comment should be tak with a grain of salt, but the only type of treatment that I can think of that would require a two month hiatus might be a transplant.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/16/18 2:27 pm    ::: Re: Joanne PMAC out on medical leave Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
I am not that knowledeable about this sort of thing.

So why even speculate?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/16/18 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even specifying "kidney treatment" was more than Duke was obligated to give out. Would it matter if it was a kidney problem, thyroid problem, or tattoo removal as long as we know she's anticipated to return in 2 months? Sheesh. It's her personal medical problem.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/16/18 6:48 pm    ::: Re: Joanne PMAC out on medical leave Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

I am not that knowledeable about this sort of thing. So this comment should be tak with a grain of salt, but the only type of treatment that I can think of that would require a two month hiatus might be a transplant.

I am, and trust me, it doesn't have to be anything that radical. Quit speculating, you'll live longer. She is probably one sick cookie, though, and deserves some sympathy, whether one likes her or not. (takes nurse hat off again, replaces with JMU ball cap)

PostPosted: 04/17/18 3:38 am    ::: Re: Joanne PMAC out on medical leave Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
willtalk wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

I am, and trust me, it doesn't have to be anything that radical. Quit speculating, you'll live longer. She is probably one sick cookie, though, and deserves some sympathy, whether one likes her or not. (takes nurse hat off again, replaces with JMU ball cap)
Thank you that is all the answer I was looking for.

That being said I never ask for any specific information about her health isues, nor did I say that more should have been released. I was actually concerned and that is motivated by sympathy. My post was less speculation than it was a question that I hoped someone would answer, which they did.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/17/18 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find the current atmosphere of hush-hushing every medical situation unnecessary.

What better way to fuel speculation than to give little-to-no info?

Do some people think that such info made public is an attack on the patient?

I don't get it.

PostPosted: 04/17/18 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I find the current atmosphere of hush-hushing every medical situation unnecessary.

I don't get it.

It's called HIPAA, and ever since that law was put into effect, no medical information has been released unless a person specifically allows it to be. That's just the way it is. As a nurse, we couldn't even give information over the phone to families unless they had a specific code that had been given to them by the patient and the unit.

Now as to speculation, if people are REALLY interested, I could give them a list of possibilities in the line of kidney problems that might require a couple of months off and would have nothing to do with a kidney transplant. Just not right ow as I am on my way out of the house to an appointment.

PostPosted: 04/17/18 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope she has a full recovery

PostPosted: 04/17/18 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I don't get it.

It's called HIPAA, and ever since that law was put into effect, no medical information has been released unless a person specifically allows it to be. That's just the way it is. As a nurse, we couldn't even give information over the phone to families unless they had a specific code that had been given to them by the patient and the unit.

Now as to speculation, if people are REALLY interested, I could give them a list of possibilities in the line of kidney problems that might require a couple of months off and would have nothing to do with a kidney transplant. Just not right ow as I am on my way out of the house to an appointment.

The Duke Press release said

Quote:
DURHAM, N.C. – Effective Monday, April 16, Duke University women’s basketball head coach Joanne P. McCallie will take a medical leave of absence for approximately two months to address a correctable kidney-related ailment, which was originally diagnosed in November of 2017. She will start a short term treatment program soon.

I'm not super interested, but I must confess that I've searched for information regarding "correctable kidney ailments" without success

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/17/18 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

I don't get it.

You bring up a point I had originally included in my response post. Mine was in response to the judgemental criticism ( don't speculate ) that my question triggered. I do understand the reasons for medical confidentiality and the push by fans who believe they a right to know every personal detail of both athletes, coaches or other types of celebrities is invasive. But chastising an individual for a basically generic question which might or might not be applicable to a specific person, is in itself socially inappropriate.

As to the different types of non transplant possibilities, thanks but for me that is not necessary. I don't really need or desire to actually know details. The one thing I am sure of is that kidney related issues can become very serious.

Summertime- Exclude yourself from any negative response in my post. I understand where you as a medical professional are coming from.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/17/18 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I don't get it.

I think most of us are aware of HIPAA, thanks.

Coincidentally, my sister donated a kidney to her husband in Feb. Oh, wait, shouldn't have said anything... Wink

PostPosted: 04/17/18 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

I don't get it.

Since the advent of social media, the presumption is that people have the ability and therefore the right to know anything about anyone, including their personal medical information. Any expectation of privacy is unfortunately nearly nil. I truly don't understand why anyone would think someone else's health information is any of their business, beyond the time away from their very public job duties.

As a pure hypothetical, what if she were donating a kidney to a possible sister or child? Do you think she ought to disclose that medical info about a third party as well? Or a genetic condition that could affect others in her family? Or a catheter-related infection? Do you think the general public needs to know that she uses a catheter? I find the nosiness and entitlement that cause people to presume they deserve access to someone's medical information to be very disturbing. And yes, I'm another retired medical professional.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/17/18 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I don't get it.

Since the advent of social media, the presumption is that people have the ability and therefore the right to know anything about anyone, including their personal medical information. Any expectation of privacy is unfortunately nearly nil. I truly don't understand why anyone would think someone else's health information is any of their business, beyond the time away from their very public job duties.

As a pure hypothetical, what if she were donating a kidney to a possible sister or child? Do you think she ought to disclose that medical info about a third party as well? Or a genetic condition that could affect others in her family? Or a catheter-related infection? Do you think the general public needs to know that she uses a catheter? I find the nosiness and entitlement that cause people to presume they deserve access to someone's medical information to be very disturbing. And yes, I'm another retired medical professional.

I don't think your former occupation has any bearing at all. Smile

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and also entitled to exaggerate my POV, if you wish.

PostPosted: 04/17/18 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Duke Press release said

Quote:
DURHAM, N.C. – Effective Monday, April 16, Duke University women’s basketball head coach Joanne P. McCallie will take a medical leave of absence for approximately two months to address a correctable kidney-related ailment, which was originally diagnosed in November of 2017. She will start a short term treatment program soon.

I'm not super interested, but I must confess that I've searched for information regarding "correctable kidney ailments" without success[/quote] Laughing

My best guesses as to “correctable” kidney problems would involve either a long-standing and severe infection requiring rest and possibly even short-term dialysis, or (more likely) a blockage which could require surgery. Or neither, and something else. But it’s none of my business, or any of ours. Let Coach P have her privacy.

PostPosted: 04/18/18 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
You bring up a point I had originally included in my response post. Mine was in response to the judgemental criticism ( don't speculate ) that my question triggered. I do understand the reasons for medical confidentiality and the push by fans who believe they a right to know every personal detail of both athletes, coaches or other types of celebrities is invasive. But chastising an individual for a basically generic question which might or might not be applicable to a specific person, is in itself socially inappropriate.

So let me get this straight...me asking simply "then why even speculate" is socially inappropriate according to you but yet you jumping to the conclusion that she must need a transplant is perfectly fine? And also, if you feel that my question to you was "chastising", then boy oh boy, wow. Just wow. We clearly haven't read from the same dictionary. Rolling Eyes

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/18/18 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:

I'm not super interested, but I must confess that I've searched for information regarding "correctable kidney ailments" without success

Oh, like kidney stones for example.

I'm sure your urologist could give you fifty or sixty more.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 04/19/18 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is a slightly different issue and yes a complaint that I have. It deals with player injuries. Kevin McGuff will mislead an athletes, return timeline. He did that last year with Stephanie Mayunga. He kept saying that she could be back for the Big Ten tourney and she's almost ready. She didn't play until the regionals which was almost a month later. As a fan, it's disappointing to be misled. You go to the game hoping that will be able to play just to see them in sweats.

He did it again with Asia Doss this year. I found out the injury wasn't what they announced it was either. Once I heard what the injury really was, I knew she wouldn't be playing.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/19/18 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know the specifics of McGuff's announcements, but purely from a medical standpoint, it's frequently impossible to predict when a player will return. Different players respond to treatment at different rates. All the medical staff can do is supply an average time frame. By definition, 50% of the players will be back sooner and 50% later. It's also not uncommon for something that's diagnosed as a simple injury to turn out to be more complicated.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/19/18 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I don't know the specifics of McGuff's announcements, but purely from a medical standpoint, it's frequently impossible to predict when a player will return. Different players respond to treatment at different rates. All the medical staff can do is supply an average time frame. By definition, 50% of the players will be back sooner and 50% later. It's also not uncommon for something that's diagnosed as a simple injury to turn out to be more complicated.

^^^^THIS^^^^^

Nailed it! We have such a situation right here at JMU--Debra Ferguson's knee, which did not improve as expected and kept her out the whole year. I would not be surprised if she applies for a medical redshirt for the second semester of this past season, when she would have been eligible, since she couldn't play.because her knee was still unsound. And hopefully Jackie Benitez' knee improves on schedule.

On the other hand, you have situations like Tyler Scaife's heart valve surgery, which kept her out for a year, but the specifics of which were not revealed until long after her return. It was only said that she was having surgery and that she would be out for the season. Period. I guess she (and the team) did not want the seriousness of the surgery to be known. There was still an immense amount of speculation, much of it gratuitous.

PostPosted: 04/19/18 5:34 pm    ::: Re: Joanne PMAC out on medical leave Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

I hope she recovers completely and decides to leave her job.

~rAf
willtalk

PostPosted: 04/19/18 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
willtalk wrote:

So let me get this straight...me asking simply "then why even speculate" is socially inappropriate according to you but yet you jumping to the conclusion that she must need a transplant is perfectly fine? And also, if you feel that my question to you was "chastising", then boy oh boy, wow. Just wow. We clearly haven't read from the same dictionary. Rolling Eyes

I never expected to get any specific answer to JPM condition or what was specifically wrong with her. While the question was related to her indirectly the actual question was what sort of treatment would require a specific two months but not any longer. I have had a relative who underwent treatment that did not fit any of that criteria and she did eventually have a transplant. While i am not an expert and the medical treatments might have changed in time, I am not totally ignorant on this issue. It was purely related to the treatment and in no way was it going to give me any clue as to JPM's actaal condition. Nor do I want to know. I am, however sympathetic with anyone who has that sort of problem.

It is obvious that your response was a form of chastisement. Even the other poster interpreted the responses in that vain. Why question why I would speculate or state that Duke has no responsibility to supply father information. I mean isn't that obvious?

If anyone was speculating it would have been people who assumed my intent when my post was not specific in that respect. But you can speculate all you want. We have digressed quite a bit when we are being advised about what to think and what to question. It is not my right to advise others what to speculate upon and what not, nor is it anyone elses. That is what these forums are for especially since it also allows us to ask clarifications about other peoples posts if we are not sure.

I will admit that my response was just not a reaction to this specific issue but also the idea that one individual has the right to control another persons thinking by via the creation of a double standard for what is then defined as offensive with them as only judge.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/20/18 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
willtalk wrote:

I never expected to get any specific answer to JPM condition or what was specifically wrong with her. While the question was related to her indirectly the actual question was what sort of treatment would require a specific two months but not any longer. I have had a relative who underwent treatment that did not fit any of that criteria and she did eventually have a transplant. While i am not an expert and the medical treatments might have changed in time, I am not totally ignorant on this issue. It was purely related to the treatment and in no way was it going to give me any clue as to JPM's actaal condition. Nor do I want to know. I am, however sympathetic with anyone who has that sort of problem.

It is obvious that your response was a form of chastisement. Even the other poster interpreted the responses in that vain. Why question why I would speculate or state that Duke has no responsibility to supply father information. I mean isn't that obvious?

If anyone was speculating it would have been people who assumed my intent when my post was not specific in that respect. But you can speculate all you want. We have digressed quite a bit when we are being advised about what to think and what to question. It is not my right to advise others what to speculate upon and what not, nor is it anyone elses. That is what these forums are for especially since it also allows us to ask clarifications about other peoples posts if we are not sure.

I will admit that my response was just not a reaction to this specific issue but also the idea that one individual has the right to control another persons thinking by via the creation of a double standard for what is then defined as offensive with them as only judge.

Oh dear lord. While you wallow in your "chastisement" from me (which is interesting seeing as others made much stronger comments than I, but I digress), I do find it rather funny that you keep saying you posed a question yet when I read your comment above, you actually don't ask any questions at all but rather give your opinion about what you think it would have to be.

Also, please show me where I have speculated at all, whether it be JPM's situation or even what your intent was. I cannot seem to locate those posts so your help would be much appreciated.

At any rate, this will be my last response to your posts on this topic. Feel free to have the last word.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: