RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Draft Grades
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/12/18 8:15 pm    ::: 2018 WNBA Draft Grades Reply Reply with quote

People's thoughts on who excelled and who underperformed tonight? ...

PostPosted: 04/12/18 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas A
#6 Azura Stevens
#18 Loryn Goodwin
#30 Natalie Butler

This is very similar quality to how I wanted Indiana to pick, but with way lower picks.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/12/18 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

agree Dallas got a bingo.

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta - B

With no first round pick the Dream still got first round talent with Monique Billings. Wallace could help next year. Engram is a local pick when there was still some talent available.

Chicago - D

Taking Williams over Stevens, particularly given their need, is bewildering. Chicago looked like they were in the catbird's seat with two lottery picks, but came away with no size, no dynamic offense, and as many questions as they had going in.

Connecticut - B

Smart choice to take Brown over Nurse. Cowling in the 3rd round has some value.

Dallas - A

Everything fell right for the Wings. Stevens is a steal at 6 and creates an impressive twin towers with Cambage. Goodwyn can fit the Wings' style and Butler may be able to contribute although I doubt she can win a roster spot.

Indiana - C+

The Fever decided to remake their team in one draft, turning to offense instead of defense. They got rid of January, took Mitchell instead of Stevens, took Vivians and then Mavunga instead of Billings in the second. Time will tell if this was the right way to go.

Las Vegas - A-

Hard to screw up with the first pick. Nared may have been a bit of a reach and Lawrence is an unknown (at least to me).

Los Angeles - B

I don't know how good Vadeeva is or what her likelihood of playing is so this is just based on what has been said. Thomas at the bottom of the second round is good value.

Minnesota - D

The Lynx wound up with Jill Barta and Carlie Wagner, which tells me they already thought their team was set.

New York - B+

Nurse may have been the best available, but I don't think she fits the team. Russell falling to 22 may wind up being the steal of the draft if Smith and Charles can light a fire.

Phoenix - A

The Mercury had a great draft. They started early by using their#8 pick by getting Briann January from Indiana. Gulich at 12 should be an excellent backup for Griner. Scaife also has WNBA talent and Musina can wait for a year or two overseas.

Seattle - B

The Storm wanted a backup for Bird and they got it. They also picked up Muldrow in the third when other teams were just picking up local talent. And they traded for Natasha Howard, though that could back to bite them if they aren't improved this season.

Washington - C

Maybe Mike Thibault sees something most people don't, but Atkins seemed like a big reach. Hines-Allen in the second and an injured Greenwell in the third savaged a disappointing draft.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Dallas A
#6 Azura Stevens
#18 Loryn Goodwin
#30 Natalie Butler

This is very similar quality to how I wanted Indiana to pick, but with way lower picks.

Yup I'm in agreement right here__________X

No excuses for Coach Williams now, Dallas is a scary team

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Easy A for Dallas. Sheesh, I still can't believe Stevens fell in their lap. And Goodwin is a nice get too at #18. Didn't see Butler this year, so I can't comment but it doesn't even matter.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DALLAS WINGS A+ nice redemption draft from last years catastrophe. Id even go on a limb and say id Keep butler over lewis.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Easy A for Dallas

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/13/18 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will wait until the end of the 2018 season to make my draft grade. I know for a fact that everything that glitters is not gold.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LaChina stole my best draft of the night
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=23142718

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/14/18 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle Voepel came out with her draft grades.

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/23155505/chicago-sky-dallas-wings-indiana-fever-las-vegas-aces-earn-top-marks-wnba-draft

I obviously disagree with her grade for Chicago, who she gives an A and I gave a D. When you have the #3 and 4 picks and you don't fill your biggest need you don't get a high grade.

jap

PostPosted: 04/14/18 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/23155505/chicago-sky-dallas-wings-indiana-fever-las-vegas-aces-earn-top-marks-wnba-draft

I obviously disagree with her grade for Chicago, who she gives an A and I gave a D. When you have the #3 and 4 picks and you don't fill your biggest need you don't get a high grade.

This rating business depends on one's drafting philosophy. There are those who feel that one should draft mostly for value over needs. If your need does not match the value of your draft slot, you either take the best available player or trade down to a slot where your need matches that slot's value.

Last edited by jap on 04/14/18 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
zune69

PostPosted: 04/14/18 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We'll know who won this draft in about 4-6 years.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 04/15/18 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Dallas A
#6 Azura Stevens
#18 Loryn Goodwin
#30 Natalie Butler

An “A” for drafting one person who will make the team (Stevens)? The other 2 are camp fodder.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 04/15/18 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

I’d say Chicago gets an F. Picks 3 and 4 and they take Gabby Williams, an undersized forward who is only tall enough to play a guard role who can’t shoot and took a couple years to develop at Uconn and even when she developed, she still couldn’t shoot. They didn’t need a player like Gabby Williams. And then they took Diamond Deshields who stated in not so many words that she wanted to play and ONLY play for Dallas. She looked a little more than pissed off Chicago drafted her and will be out the door faster than EDD, Syl and Dupree combined.

With picks 3 and 4, they could’ve picked at least one, probably two game changers and instead, they picked up a player way before she shoulda been picked, and another headcase from Tennessee who doesn’t even want to be there at all. Hmm. Chicago continues to be a disaster.

blaase22

PostPosted: 04/15/18 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Shades wrote:
Dallas A
#6 Azura Stevens
#18 Loryn Goodwin
#30 Natalie Butler

An “A” for drafting one person who will make the team (Stevens)? The other 2 are camp fodder.

Goodwin can make that roster. She was picked by the right team.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/15/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Shades wrote:
Dallas A
#6 Azura Stevens
#18 Loryn Goodwin
#30 Natalie Butler

No, Chong’s in trouble unless she has reached another level being overseas.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/15/18 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Shades wrote:
Dallas A
#6 Azura Stevens
#18 Loryn Goodwin
#30 Natalie Butler

If Dallas gets the highest grade, I don't see much hope for many players in the 2019 class to make lasting contributions.

Goodwin may hang on, with or without Chong, but even if so, is likely to be a low contribution bencher.

Stevens couldn't start over Williams at UConn, is unlikely to start on Dallas, and as a weak positional defender (albeit one who gets blocks), she'll contribute to Williams' pathetic team defense. I like Dallas, but am afeared that even though they could average 88 PPG, they could give up 98.

I have no idea how to evaluate the funky Cambage factor, but she has nothing to do with the quality of the Dallas draft class, which I currently see as mostly non-contributory, much less game changing. I hope that's wrong.

I'd give a higher grades to LV, simply because of Wilson, who has the best 2019 chance of being a game changer, and also to Indiana, because Mitchell and Vivians have a reasonable chance to light up some scoring.

I'd even give a higher grade to Chicago, because both Williams and DeShields are so dynamic and athletic -- Williams having more track athleticism, DeShields more basketball athleticism -- that there is a greater chance that they could improve their combined 14% 3FG% than that Dallas' three rookies will make a significant combined impact.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/15/18 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Shades wrote:
Dallas A
#6 Azura Stevens
#18 Loryn Goodwin
#30 Natalie Butler

If Dallas gets the highest grade, I don't see much hope for many players in the 2019 class to make lasting contributions.

Goodwin may hang on, with or without Chong, but even if so, is likely to be a low contribution bencher.

Stevens couldn't start over Williams at UConn, is unlikely to start on Dallas, and as a weak positional defender (albeit one who gets blocks), she'll contribute to Williams' pathetic team defense. I like Dallas, but am afeared that even though they could average 88 PPG, they could give up 98.
I have no idea how to evaluate the funky Cambage factor,but she has nothing to do with the quality of the Dallas draft class, which I currently see as mostly non-contributory, much less game changing. I hope that's wrong.

I'd give a higher grades to LV, simply because of Wilson, who has the best 2019 chance of being a game changer, and also to Indiana, because Mitchell and Vivians have a reasonable chance to light up some scoring.

I'd even give a higher grade to Chicago, because both Williams and DeShields are so dynamic and athletic -- Williams having more track athleticism, DeShields more basketball athleticism -- that there is a greater chance that they could improve their combined 14% 3FG% than that Dallas' three rookies will make a significant combined impact.

Thats the part that justifies why we wont be allowing 98 ppg this year. Our draft picks are great based off team expectations. We were not drafting to find a starter replacement we needed to improve our bench with height and footwork within the post. Thats exactly what we did with the Azura pick. We needed to secure a reliable back up PG and thats exactly what we did with the Goodwin pick. Natalie Butler fell in our laps and i hope she makes the team over lewis. She can rebound off the bench. You see the gist?

PostPosted: 04/15/18 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you’re grading on who got the best player, then Laimbeer got an A back when they drew the lottery. I’m grading on who did the most with what they had. Did Dallas get any starters out of the draft? No, they don’t need any starters. That’s part of the reason why they have the lower picks. But they did fill the bench with some quality players that have potential to become starters.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/15/18 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suppose there's a reasonable question about what the basis or criterion should be for "grading" the various teams in a draft.

I'm using an admittedly speculative prediction criterion: How much each team improved by virtue of the draft. In general, I don't think any basketball team is much affected by the players lower than the top eight in the rotation, unless there are lots of injuries or defections.

Therefore, using my approach, my opinion is that Dallas did not strengthen its likely top eight rotation as much as Las Vegas, Indiana or Chicago did. However, I'm not saying Dallas could have done something better with the picks they had. That would be a different "grading" criterion.
blaase22

PostPosted: 04/15/18 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynx don't deserve the worst grade this draft
i fully expect the Aces second round pick next year to be top 15, to go from a 17th pick to top 15 in a stronger draft deserves a decent grade, they did the most they could.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/15/18 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is all speculation but let’s not forget that the players coaches did give their input on the weakness etc of their players. I am also with Glenn. Giving a 6’6” player a high grade could just be based on that and not on the fact that she plays much smaller and has trouble defensively unlike grading a 5’11” player lower for her height even though she plays much bigger and yet plays tougher smarter defense. But go figure, it’s like people just want to go on physical appearances sometimes and not what’s actually going on on the court.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/16/18 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously this is all speculation. When I look at what Dallas did, they got a backup power forward who I believe will start over GloJo within 2 years. The issue in Connecticut is that she didn't fit Geno's system, and he was too stubborn to utilize her talents. Had he been able to adjust his team to better utilize her talent instead of forcing her into his system they would have won another title.

As for Chicago, I doubt they could have done worse with two lottery picks, given what their needs were. If Coates can come back and have a stellar season maybe this can work, but with their need inside they could have picked Stevens, or if they didn't see her as the answer traded a pick for some value (either two lower picks or a player and a lower pick, to fill their need.

Perhaps the appropriate grade for Minnesota should be incomplete. Clearly the Lynx got no help for this season, but if Seattle isn't improved the Howard trade could pay big dividends next season.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/18 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.draftsite.com/article/2018-wnba-draft-grades/743/#sthash.2rYeGpmm.uxfs

Quote:
Dallas Wings: A

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: