RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

You better Belibi it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/15/18 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
How many Havard grads have played in the WNBA?

Any good Stanford fan can tell you there's only been one

PostPosted: 04/15/18 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
How many Havard grads have played in the WNBA?

Any good Stanford fan can tell you there's only been one

I think Fagbenle has a Harvard degree. Before she transferred to USC... I could be wrong. So Feaster and Fagbenle would be it?

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/15/18 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you're good enough, it doesn't matter where you go to school ...

And the difference between men and women in this regard is that a dedicated female player can spend the offseason playing against guys and offset the lesser quality of competition in league play.

PostPosted: 04/15/18 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Tell that to Stevens and new NCAA champion Shepard.

I suppose if Belibi can put Harvard on her back and take them a couple games into the NCAA tournament (think Delle Donne with Delaware), I suppose she might be sought after as a pro prospect. Wouldn’t bet on that.

I didn’t realize Fagbenle went to Havard. Why would she switch to USC, to help the basketball career? She ended up being a deferred #35 pick. Kind of surprise to make it as far as she has so far. Is she lucky or good?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/15/18 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/15/18 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Belibi's most likely career is in an academic profession. Her parents are both doctors. Her grandparents were lawyers, one being a justice of the Supreme Court of Cameroon.

Temi Fagbenle got her undergraduate degree from Harvard and was a grad transfer to USC.

Go, Crimson, Fran. It's the most valuable ticket in the lottery of life.
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/15/18 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Tell that to Stevens and new NCAA champion Shepard.

I suppose if Belibi can put Harvard on her back and take them a couple games into the NCAA tournament (think Delle Donne with Delaware), I suppose she might be sought after as a pro prospect. Wouldn’t bet on that.

I didn’t realize Fagbenle went to Havard. Why would she switch to USC, to help the basketball career? She ended up being a deferred #35 pick. Kind of surprise to make it as far as she has so far. Is she lucky or good?

It has been mentioned before, but the Ivy League does not allow graduate students to compete in sports and does not allow athletes to be undergraduates for five years. If you take an athletic redshirt, including for injury, and want to play all four years there, you must completely withdraw from school for a year. This has led to a lot of good opportunities to take graduate transfers from there in multiple sports. Duke has benefitted from raiding their Baseball and Men's Lacrosse teams in particular.
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/15/18 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Belibi recently made an official visit to Notre Dame. This little tidbit was included in Prospect Nation's release of Brunelle's commitment:

In addition to Brunelle and Peoples, the Irish have hosted four-star forward Fran Belibi of Colorado on an official visit.

https://prospectsnation.com/story/notre-dame-lands-brunelle

As official visits have only been allowed for a few weeks now for the 2019 class, the visit had to be recent.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/16/18 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I'm a little disappointed not to see Vanderbilt on that list. Steph can't seem to sell the SEC school to a player truly focusing on academics.

Unfortunately, Duke was not able to make the list, despite being a tremendous academic institution.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/21/18 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regis Jesuit dunking phenom Fran Belibi commits to play college basketball at Stanford

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/21/regis-jesuit-fran-belibi-commits-stanford/

Quote:
Ultimately, the versatile 6-foot-1 guard/forward chose the Cardinal over a short list of other top collegiate programs that also included Notre Dame, Harvard, Princeton, Duke, South Carolina and Tennessee.

Quote:
She averaged 13.7 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 2.6 steals and 1.6 blocks for Regis Jesuit, enabling the Raiders to go undefeated in the state of Colorado during the regular season.

Quote:
Now, the state’s biggest girls star is headed to Colorado Springs at the end of this week for tryouts with the under-17 USA Basketball national team.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 05/21/18 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Regis Jesuit dunking phenom Fran Belibi commits to play college basketball at Stanford

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/21/regis-jesuit-fran-belibi-commits-stanford/

Quote:
Ultimately, the versatile 6-foot-1 guard/forward chose the Cardinal over a short list of other top collegiate programs that also included Notre Dame, Harvard, Princeton, Duke, South Carolina and Tennessee.

Quote:
She averaged 13.7 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 2.6 steals and 1.6 blocks for Regis Jesuit, enabling the Raiders to go undefeated in the state of Colorado during the regular season.

Quote:
Now, the state’s biggest girls star is headed to Colorado Springs at the end of this week for tryouts with the under-17 USA Basketball national team.

Congrats to VanDerveer on winning this recruiting war.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/21/18 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's very, very athletic, and in bursts, is dominant. She needs to refine her skills -- she came to the game relatively late -- but if she and Tara (or a staff member) click, she could be a force in the Pac-12.

PostPosted: 05/22/18 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We will take them any which way Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 05/28/18 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Belibi with a dunk attempt at 3x3

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/9943e9ae6b34eaba487cd1c2da668c71/5B0F2974/t50.2886-16/33773674_172376290116588_8684384715295162368_n.mp4

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/28/18 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Praise the Lord and all athletic athletes with brains are welcome with open arms. I've been concerned about our post situation but this will help. It seems that we have lots of good little guards coming but not so much in the bigger departments.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 05/29/18 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are you turning her into a post player, Myrtle? She lists as a G/F.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/29/18 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Are you turning her into a post player, Myrtle? She lists as a G/F.

With her jumping ability and our plethora of wings, she'll likely be a PF. Who knows, maybe coach will totally change her offense to 4 out, 1 in.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/29/18 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Re: Fran B? I REALLY love that kid's personality, as far as one can tell from short vids; and her tennis serve is of a very pure form, too. Gifted! Now. How to get her to Oklahoma.... Idea

guess you'll have to go back to being a secondary Stanford fan again...

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 05/30/18 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Blue Star Media analysis of Belibi. Looks like Mark Lewis is with Myrtle on the post play.

https://www.bluestarmedia.org/one-last-look-at-the-usa-u17-finalists/

Quote:
Fran Belibi– 2019 – 6-1 – Forward – Centennial, Colorado– Stanford commit…Shaping up to be a “true” power forward…Despite being a senior still young as a player…Explosive athlete…Elevates both to score and on the boards…First step has always been strong but is applied with good reads and intent…Physical strength is beyond most with her frame…Doesn’t just rely on physical tools, strong work ethic and effort…Gets out in transition and can run with the guards…Further refinement of interior attack will come…Perimeter form is evolving but still has an occasional forward action…Defensive approach is aggressive with no reservations about mixing things up…Rebounds with authority…Still just scratching the surface

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/30/18 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:

Re: Fran B? I REALLY love that kid's personality, as far as one can tell from short vids; and her tennis serve is of a very pure form, too. Gifted! Now. How to get her to Oklahoma.... Idea

guess you'll have to go back to being a secondary Stanford fan again...

Thumbs up on that Myrtle. Very Happy

Shades

PostPosted: 06/01/18 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Viral dunker Fran Belibi looks forward, backward and, of course, up at USA Basketball trials

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/23612971/viral-dunker-stanford-cardinal-commit-fran-belibi-usa-basketball-trials

Quote:
"In Colorado, girls come to the games to watch me dunk," she said. "It's a huge honor for me. Girls need inspiration. They take photos with me and want to meet me. The girls' game has grown so much. With me showing that a girl can dunk in a game and that the game can be played at or over the rim, it can be opportunity for other girls to do it, too. All they have to do is put their mind to it."

Quote:
"I try to get my footwork correct. It's usually three dribbles from halfcourt," she said. "Then I have to concentrate on keeping the ball in the hoop so it doesn't pop back off the back iron. The feeling of you being that high off the floor, over 10 feet, it's just an amazing feeling. It hypes you up, hypes your teammates up, hypes the fans up."

Only three dribbles from half court? Shocked

Quote:
"I'm working on different dunks, perhaps a two-handed dunk," she said. "But that is a challenge because you have to get up even higher. You have to really get your legs into it."

As intrigued as I was about Griner’s dunking, I’m even more intrigued about Belibi’s. Here’s a 6’1 player who’s fearless about dunking in a game. Hopefully Tara won’t be discouraging it. Belibi could draw more attention to the women’s game from those who have been resistant because of the athleticism factor.

Quote:
"After sitting down and weighing the pros and cons with my family, it came up Stanford," she said. "The environment there, the school, team, it just made sense.

"I know that I have a lot to learn, and Stanford will help me along the way. Stanford has pedigree as a school and as a team."

She fits in perfectly with the nerds.

Quote:
And as for the dunk contests, Belibi is all in.

"If selected, I want to be in the dunk contest with the boys," she said. "I don't think the girls should have their own dunk contest. I feel that there is more hype by having the boys participate."

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 06/01/18 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks Shades Shocked

Shades

PostPosted: 07/11/18 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bueckers to Belibi
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1016828043086753794/pu/vid/720x1280/BbFqWIRBAGeduAL8.mp4

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/11/18 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Bueckers to Belibi
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1016828043086753794/pu/vid/720x1280/BbFqWIRBAGeduAL8.mp4

In the video, you can really see her "savant talent" (as Rob Clough would characterize it), with her only being 6-1, but having a 6-8 wingspan.

As an aside, Rob Clough used the term "savant talent" with me the first time he ever saw Alana Beard play. This is how he defined the term, back in 2011 when he did a write-up of Alana Beard on the list of the best players in the history of Duke women's basketball:

Certain special players have what I refer to as a "savant talent", meaning that on top of their basketball skills, they have a particular physical attribute that gives them an extra advantage. For Beard, it was her long arms that gave her an edge. She was certainly quick, agile and extremely clever with her decision-making, but her arms allowed her to reach around players and poke the ball away for a steal & layup (her signature play), to play exceptional post defense, and to post up on the left block for a money turnaround jumper.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/21/18 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/21/18 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Note that Azzi Fudd will be a sophomore this fall.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: