RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA Draft 2018 (April 12th)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/12/18 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know where of there is an archived stream? Searching espn3 and getting nothing.

PostPosted: 04/12/18 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:
WNBA.com briefly had NY taking Leslie Robinson, Michelle Obama's niece.

That pick is an insult to all the players who are actually good enough to get drafted

There was a lot of insulting going on.

Robinson was taken just because of who her family is

It's really more of a MSG-Princeton thing than because she's related to Obama. Leslie went to Princeton. Her father Craig, VP of Development, and Knicks President Steve Mills were teammates at Princeton. My guess is that Leslie has gone to the MSG offices and hung out with the staff -- both Knicks and Liberty. She probably knows Isiah Thomas, Katie Smith and gang. So, they gave her a little present by drafting her. By so doing, they passed up a chance to draft Julia Reisingerova and Carlie Wagner. Everybody else is now available as an undrafted free agent.

PostPosted: 04/12/18 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe I need to go skeet shooting this weekend. I will label each clay pigeon with this sentence; Gabby Williams is not a lottery pick. I will have some big fun this weekend!
Pull! BOOM! BOOM!

Last edited by Rock Hard on 04/13/18 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
blaase22

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doesn't getting drafted help her get an overseas contract too?
root_thing wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:

That pick is an insult to all the players who are actually good enough to get drafted

It's really more of a MSG-Princeton thing than because she's related to Obama. Leslie went to Princeton. Her father Craig, VP of Development, and Knicks President Steve Mills were teammates at Princeton. My guess is that Leslie has gone to the MSG offices and hung out with the staff -- both Knicks and Liberty. She probably knows Isiah Thomas, Katie Smith and gang. So, they gave her a little present by drafting her. By so doing, they passed up a chance to draft Julia Reisingerova and Carlie Wagner. Everybody else is now available as an undrafted free agent.

Brinx

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
What coaches were there? I only saw Staley and Schaefer. No Geno, even with three invitees.

We didn't see her on tv, but I know Cori Close was there to cheer on Canada and Billings. Seems like there is a possibility that not all coaches in attendance were shown?

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know it is a typo but Gabby Williams is on the Sun's roster... http://sun.wnba.com/roster/

zune69

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
I know it is a typo but Gabby Williams is on the Sun's roster... http://sun.wnba.com/roster/

Gabby Williams for Chiney Ogwumike ?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/12/18 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who are the best player to go undrafted?

awhom111

PostPosted: 04/12/18 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I just looked her up and the basketball-asia page said she wasn't eligible for the draft until 2020. She won't turn 20 until December ...

Clay, you know better than to use that family of sites without checking anything else...

They just list all players, men and women as being draft eligible in their age 22 year.

"International" players are available for the draft only once and that's the year in which they turn 20.

As I mentioned in another thread, Park is younger than Chennedy Carter, Megan Walker, and Evina Westbrook. It makes it hard to pick international players, but they theoretically have more years to grow.
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/13/18 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

"International" players are available for the draft only once and that's the year in which they turn 20.

That's what I always thought until someone -- I think Richyyy -- said last year that foreign players are actually available twice. Then, I thought it was 20 and 21. But recently, I read that Iagupova had her pick nullified because she turned 21 before the draft. So, I thought maybe you're eligible for a second year if your 21st birthday doesn't occur until after the next draft. Otherwise, it's surprising that LA would be mistaken by so much time since Alina would have turned 20 about fourteen months earlier. That motivated me to look up the appropriate section in the CBA:

Quote:
(d) Notwithstanding Section 1(b) above, an international player is eligible to be selected in the WNBA Draft if she will be at least 20 years old during the calendar year in which such Draft is held.
(e) For purposes of this Section 1, an “international player” means any person born and residing outside the United States who participates in the game of basketball as an amateur or a professional. An international player who exercises intercollegiate basketball eligibility in the United States shall be subject to the eligibility rules set forth in Section 1(b)(iii) above.
(f) No player may sign a Contract or play in the WNBA unless she has been eligible for selection in at least one (1) WNBA Draft.
(g) No player shall be eligible for selection in more than two (2) WNBA Drafts.

The wording on age is convoluted, but it looks to me like you can be both over 20 (i.e., turn 21) in the year you're drafted and qualify for 2 drafts. Now, it's possible that (f) and (g) only apply to American college players. We know that any drafted player who doesn't sign or play overseas can in theory re-enter the draft. So, that would be two drafts. However, I don't see any phrase limiting those clauses to US collegiates. Therefore, I assume they also apply to international players.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 5:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We went through this a couple of years ago and eventually decided that international players are only eligible once, in the calendar year that they turn 20. I agree that the wording suggests otherwise to my non-lawyer mind, but that was the ruling that came down from on high, the last I heard.

Penny Toler selecting someone who was utterly ineligible wasn't particularly surprising.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Yes, it's nepotism and it offends me.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Yes, it's nepotism and it offends me.

That's fine. I just wanted to clarify the situation to make sure you were offended for the right reason. Smile

PostPosted: 04/13/18 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
With #18, the Wings select Loryn Goodwin!

WTF...

I love this pick.

She's gonna be good. Went toe to toe with Canada and matched her moves and scoring.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/13/18 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Like really,WTF was Chicago thinking? Laughing

What did Chicago do that was wrong?

Took two wings when they desperately needed a PF.

$10 says Williams is traded or she starts at PF.

After seeing some of the lineups Stocks put on the court at the start of last season,I wouldn't be surprised if she started Gabby at PF...So i'll decline your $10 BET.

I'm with you. I don't want to lose my lunch money. Wink

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/13/18 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
What coaches were there? I only saw Staley and Schaefer. No Geno, even with three invitees.

maybe he didn't want to favor one over another. or maybe none of them asked him to be there.

Maybe he didn't pass the "No Complete Assholes Allowed" rule?

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/13/18 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Agler/Toler must want to get back to when they won a championship with Euros at the end of the bench.
Are you implying that they paid off the officials with foreign currency? They just put a bag filled with Euro's at the end of the bench for the officials to pick up. Now the way the officiating has been in the league that doesn't surprise me in the least.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 04/13/18 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Not a good wardrobe choice for A. Stephens. She looked like a cross between an Eggplant and Gumby.

It also looks like it is to big! Not a good look at all.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 04/13/18 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Neither quote above is nice! Sad

I never heard of her but still.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/13/18 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
willtalk wrote:
Not a good wardrobe choice for A. Stephens. She looked like a cross between an Eggplant and Gumby.

It also looks like it is to big! Not a good look at all.

I kept saying where Tf is her left arm!! Shocked

PostPosted: 04/14/18 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jill barta is NOT a true post and never has been one...she's a power forward forced to play the post....she can shoot the 3, the short 2 and has a very nice quick layup move....I hope she gets a chance...

toad455

PostPosted: 04/15/18 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jill Barta's draft day experience.

http://www.montanasports.com/2018/04/13/even-keeled-jill-barta-endures-emotional-wnba-draft/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
GEF34

PostPosted: 04/15/18 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Anyone know where of there is an archived stream? Searching espn3 and getting nothing.

Not sure if you have looked since you posted this, but the draft is on ESPN 3 now under replays.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/16/18 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN's telecasts of the WNBA Draft earned a combined average audience of 212,000 viewers on ESPN2 and ESPNU, up +25% from last year.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: