RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dancing With The Stars
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/18 8:41 am    ::: Dancing With The Stars Reply Reply with quote

I promise this is on topic

http://people.com/tv/dancing-with-the-stars-athletes-cast/

Quote:
Notre Dame’s national championship hero Arike Ogunbowale led her team to victory and made the cover of Sports Illustrated.

The 21-year-old will take on the competition with pro Gleb Savchenko.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess her partner can go/has gone to South Bend to train with her so she doesn't miss classes. At least they normally train for 3 weeks prior to the start (April 30th)of the normal 10-week show (this one is only 4 weeks).

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/13/18 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont Typically watch DWTS but now I just might have to. This is very excellent!

Shades

PostPosted: 04/13/18 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Contestants make a nice chunk of change on that show. How does that work?

The list of contestants gets more painful every time. About half from the Winter Olympics?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/13/18 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im still trying to figure out why she is on the DWTS ? I guess her life did change over night . From a middle of the pack WCBB star to a Celebrity over the weekend.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

The list of contestants gets more painful every time. About half from the Winter Olympics?

This is an athlete only edition

PostPosted: 04/13/18 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

It's hard to square it with an NCAA that doesn't allow players to sell their own autographs or memorabilia.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I dont Typically watch DWTS but now I just might have to. This is very excellent!

I had never watched the show until former Packers player Donald Driver was on it. That was the only season I ever watched it. I may tune into this one at the beginning to check it out though.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/13/18 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Im still trying to figure out why she is on the DWTS ? I guess her life did change over night . From a middle of the pack WCBB star to a Celebrity over the weekend.

Two last second game winning shots in consecutive games isn't something that's common. It kind of makes you stand out.

BTW, she was the leading scorer in the ACC, so it's not like she was that "middle of the pack."

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/18 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/crsbecker/status/984784490290667521

Quote:
ND employees got instructions about potential NCAA violations tied to this because Arike is a student-athlete. We’re not allowed to promote her appearance, encourage votes for her on our social media accounts, or even so much as like a promotional tweet about her participation.

More from the instructions: “It is permissible to post a factual statement or wish her good luck. For example, employees can post a statement such as this: “Congrats/best wishes/good luck to Arike on DWTS!””

PostPosted: 04/13/18 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame once again finding ways to skirt the rules.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/13/18 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

That's bull shit and the saddest part is that you know it is and just want to .....

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/13/18 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's a great chance of publicity. Probably won't win a lot of converts over to WCBB but it's an opportunity to take wcbb outside the usual narrow parameters in which it's confined.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/13/18 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Do you have any proof of this? Why go out of your way to say negative things about Notre Dame over and over?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/13/18 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Except for the fact that Notre Dame employees received guidance to comply with NCAA rules...

ND employees got instructions about potential NCAA violations tied to this because Arike is a student-athlete. We’re not allowed to promote her appearance, encourage votes for her on our social media accounts, or even so much as like a promotional tweet about her participation.

More from the instructions: “It is permissible to post a factual statement or wish her good luck. For example, employees can post a statement such as this: “Congrats/best wishes/good luck to Arike on DWTS!””

Skirting the rules...by issuing compliance reminders regarding said NCAA rules???

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/18 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Except for the fact that Notre Dame employees received guidance to comply with NCAA rules...

Skirting the rules...by issuing compliance reminders regarding said NCAA rules???

I don't understand why it's not a violation for Ogunbowale to participate. The NCAA generally doesn’t allow student-athletes to capitalize on their college fame, even to the extent of selling their own autograph or memorabilia. How is a nationally televised competition any less of a threat to amateurism?

PostPosted: 04/13/18 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Or...

Disney/ABC/ESPN decided to do a sports themed DWTS so they wanted to include people from various sports.

Who to get from Women's Basketball? Unfortunately, the WNBA is currently playing, so it's doubtful any of their players could make it. How about someone from college?

They talk with the NCAA and the NCAA, who wants to keep ESPN happy because they broadcast a lot of games in various sports and has large contracts with them, giving the NCAA a lot of money, says "Okay."

Who in Women's College Basketball is well known among the general public right now? How about the player who just hit back to back last second game winning baskets?

See? Easy to explain without the big, super powerful, almighty ND pulling the NCAA's strings! Wink

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/13/18 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:

I don't understand why it's not a violation for Ogunbowale to participate. The NCAA generally doesn’t allow student-athletes to capitalize on their college fame, even to the extent of selling their own autograph or memorabilia. How is a nationally televised competition any less of a threat to amateurism?

I guess maybe they view the autograph and memorabilia as personal promotion, but might consider this "promoting the sport as a whole?" They might view it as keeping the thought of Women's Basketball in the public awareness.

I'm not saying it's justified based on their stances in other circumstances. I'm just saying that might be their rationale. Just spit-balling here.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/13/18 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Shades wrote:

Do you have any proof of this? Why go out of your way to say negative things about Notre Dame over and over?

Because shades is still bitter ND won a Nati Laughing

PostPosted: 04/13/18 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Oh yeah ND gets all the favoritism. Right.

You mean like the way ND had their last 15 conference tournaments in their home state (including 10 BET on their home court) and had 3 of their last 5 regionals in their home state and the other two just one state over?

Oh wait. That wasn't ND...

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/13/18 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In my understanding, athletes can get paid for doing stuff *not connected with their sport* so long as they don’t capitalize on that sport while doing it.

Some of y’all really need to pull the splinters out of your behinds.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is an absurd twisting of the rules given the other decisions they have made. The only reason for her being able to be on the show is trading on her fame from college basketball. The name of the show is "Dancing With The Stars" and she would in no way be considered a "Star" if it weren't for her basketball play. The idea that the money she earns will be as a result of her dancing ability, and therefore not related to her athletic prowess or fame, is ridiculous. It would be like saying that a player selling autographs is making money from his or her penmanship.

If this ruling signals a change in NCAA thinking about allowing players to make money based on their fame while they are still engaged in college sports then I am all for it, but this seems to fly in the face of several other decisions the NCAA has made, and as such it appears shameful. The only hope is that this ruling, perhaps in concert with the Ed O'bannon decision, can be used to allow players to earn money from their fame while they are in college.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/18 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
In my understanding, athletes can get paid for doing stuff *not connected with their sport* so long as they don’t capitalize on that sport while doing it.

How is this not capitalizing on her sport? Her cast bio spends the whole first paragraph recounting her accomplishments on the court. No one can reasonably think she would have even been invited if not for her hitting the gamers in the F4.

PostPosted: 04/14/18 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

she is not well known....9 out or 10 people don't know who she is...

at our womens bb brunch, we couldn't even bring items in to have the players sign them...its against the rules, because you know, we might sell the autographs or something...

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/14/18 4:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two things about this that haven't been discussed...

Even top athletes who compete in this actually mention how strenuous the workouts are (Yeah, people often discount how much work it takes to dance professionally).

As such, on one hand it should make her even more nimble on the court.

However, there is the other side of this...

Injuries aren't exactly unknown on the show either. I've only been watching the last 2-3 years (While I've been taking care of my mother. It's one of her favorite shows). While I don't recall any ACLs, there have been quite a few ankle sprains and other leg injuries.

Side note: She should probably stay clear of Tonya Harding... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: