RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lindsay Whalen retiring after this season
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Except there was no hyperbole here. He listed her qualities and said they led her to success. These qualities are well established by people who know Whalen. That she is unflappable, determined, and has a legendary work ethic, are well known and quite apt descriptors of her.

That part of the quote is not at issue. What is: "She has excelled at everything she has ever done in her life".

Quote:

And my "Yes" was because I could also attest to those qualities from personal experiences with her back in our U of M days. She is one of the most impressive individuals I have ever met.

"Qualities" is not at issue. "Excelling at everything she has ever done" is.

Quote:

If, on the other hand, he had called her the "best women's basketball player in the world" I would have laughed at him as well.

But false equivalency sure is fun, huh?

We have two hiring managers over-promoting a hire. They don't have to use the exact same words to be "equivalent". And the Dallas GM leaving out "one of" in his quote is not as bad in to me as the Minnesota AD saying "everything" in his. I'd rather be tasked with having to argue that Liz Cambage was the best player in the world than having to argue that Lindsay Whalen has excelled at everything she ever did.

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/12/18 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

We have two hiring managers over-promoting a hire. They don't have to use the exact same words to be "equivalent". And I would rather have to defend the Dallas GM quote than the Minnesota AD as to "nearness to reality".

Are you serious? Are you really being pedantic about a common turn of phrase like he is using? It is not meant to be taken literally. The fact that you are suggests trolling to me.

Colloquially, all that phrase means when used like this, is that she has admirable qualities which have lead to her being successful in life and that those qualities are likely to lead to even more success in the future. None of this is inaccurate.

He is not "over promoting" as no one is supposed to take that to mean that she has never been less than excellent at anything she has ever tried.

I have no desire at all to debate the comments the Wings' GM made about Cambage again, as she has nothing at all to do with this thread, and it already took more time than the stupid statement was worth.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has she confirmed??

#ByeFelicia

Shades

PostPosted: 04/13/18 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mp-KAbhrbGA" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/13/18 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Lins, great start to her post pro career.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: