RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/12/18 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Concur that Nurse is not a PG, except as an occasional backup. Average handle and passer for any perimeter position. Not a penetrator unless she has a wide open lane, nor a shot self-creator. Strengths are outside catch & shoot, defense, mature judgment and leadership.

That’s a fair assessment. I think she has some tools that might help her develop into more of a shot creator (vertical leap, frame that should fill out).

If SF turns out to be her spot I think her handle is pretty good for a WNBA 3 spot player (average for a 2). She’ll probably improve in that area. The fact that she is not overly dominant with one hand is to me a good sign for her future.

PostPosted: 04/12/18 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1-Hartley/Allen/Boyd(until 100%)
2-Prince/Rodgers
3-Zellous/Nurse
4-Charles/Zahui
5-Stokes/Vaughn/Russell

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know what kind of offense Smith will use, but UConn's was relatively position-less, or perhaps interchangeable would be a better word. I'd say interchangeability is another strength of Nurse. She probably optimizes on offense as a 2, but would not embarrass her team as a 1 or 3, and she can certainly defend all three positions very well.

I'm somewhat surprised at how low Russell fell and that she ended up on the Liberty, but she has the tools to be better on offense than Vaughn, Stokes or Zahui, in my opinion. However, she plays too soft and unaggressively on offense, as Stokes too often still does. If she can overcome that, she may eventually be starter material.
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Russell is the wildcard for this team. If Katie, Herb, Tina -- whoever -- could light a fire under Mercedes and get her to a decent starter's level, that would move the needle more for NY than anything Nurse can do. Kia will likely get most of her minutes at SF. She'll back-up Zellous and maybe eventually replace her. But Shavonte was the second best player on this team last year. Even being undersized and playing out of position, she was a major asset. So, where the Liberty really need an upgrade is at starting center. Russell at least has the talent to give us hope. Whether she gets there is another story.

Geez, we now have Kia, Kia, and Kiah!

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think people are under estimating where B. Allen is on the depth chart

I've got

Hartley/L. Allen/Boyd
Prince/Rodgers/Nurse
Zelous/B. Allen
Charles/Zahui B or Gray
Stokes/Vaughn/Russell

I think if we keep Russell I could see Gray or Alleyne beating out Zahui B if we want to go with a more physical player, I also don't think Russell is guaranteed, and we won't go wih 8 on the perimeter so if the person in charge decides to keep B. Allen the really only true SF we have than one of the 6 guards have to go.

Also I really like Nurse but I wouldn't play her ahead of Prince, Rodgers, Hartley or Zelous ATM, and probably not L. Allen either maybe in a few months.

I almost feel like something has to give on the perimeter, either a trade involving Rodgers, Prince or L. Allen, and I think to a certain degree L. Allen is the last one we should give up. If there isn't a trade the cut is between Boyd, L. Allen, and B. Allen but I don't think it as clear as we're making it out to be.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree on Russell vs Zahui B. I think it's likely one or the other. Someone more mobile will backup Tina unless they want to make Stokes the second PF. Not crazy about that idea because Kiah can't shoot. Not sure if Alleyne or Gray have any range on their shot either.

As for Bec Allen, Katie sounded mildly favorable when asked about her over the winter, but not exactly a vote of confidence either. Yes, it would be best if we could alleviate the logjam on the perimeter via trade. However, most teams have their own crowding problem. With only 144 roster spots in the WNBA, no one is hurting that much for bench players.

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I agree on Russell vs Zahui B. I think it's likely one or the other. Someone more mobile will backup Tina unless they want to make Stokes the second PF. Not crazy about that idea because Kiah can't shoot. Not sure if Alleyne or Gray have any range on their shot either.

As for Bec Allen, Katie sounded mildly favorable when asked about her over the winter, but not exactly a vote of confidence either. Yes, it would be best if we could alleviate the logjam on the perimeter via trade. However, most teams have their own crowding problem. With only 144 roster spots in the WNBA, no one is hurting that much for bench players.

So it is a little early but do you think B. Allen is out in favor of Nurse?

The reason I'm not so sure is that makes us even smaller at the SF position. And while I think Nurse can play SF the truth is at UConn she played most of her minutes at the 2 spot, and may have played more at the 1 when Dangerfield was out and Stevens was in, than she played at the 3 as the front court was always KLS, Collier, G. Williams, Stevens, a M. Walker.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Hartley/LAllen/Boyd
Prince/Rodgers/Nurse
Zellous/BAllen
Charles/(Zahui B or Gray)
Stokes/Vaughn/Russell

That’s one too many

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alternative 1st two rounds

would any of these drafts been better for NY?

round 1 Billings
round 2 S. Thomas

round 1 J. Nared
round 2 Butler

round 1 Gulich
round 2 Muldrow

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/12/18 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Hartley/LAllen/Boyd
Prince/Rodgers/Nurse
Zellous/BAllen
Stokes/Vaughn/Russell

That’s one too many

Yes which leads to the problem who do you cut? As I'm not so sure it is B. Allen as seems to be the consensus for now. So I am hoping there is a trade.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/12/18 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Hartley/LAllen/Boyd
Prince/Rodgers/Nurse
Zellous/BAllen
Stokes/Vaughn/Russell

That’s one too many

Yes which leads to the problem who do you cut? As I'm not so sure it is B. Allen as seems to be the consensus for now. So I am hoping there is a trade.

I’m not sure why Lindsay Allen is universally loved, but If Boyd will be fine in short order, I’d consider cutting LAllen and having Prince back up the point. I don’t think you’ll have to worry about Allen getting snapped up by another team in case you decide you need her down the line.

Hartley/Boyd(until 100%)
Prince(backup PG)/Rodgers/Nurse
Zellous/BAllen
Charles/Zahui
Stokes/Vaughn/Russell

This way you can keep tall BAllen.

I don’t know why you guys didn’t draft Maria Jespersen instead of this Robinson.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/12/18 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

So it is a little early but do you think B. Allen is out in favor of Nurse?

The reason I'm not so sure is that makes us even smaller at the SF position. And while I think Nurse can play SF the truth is at UConn she played most of her minutes at the 2 spot, and may have played more at the 1 when Dangerfield was out and Stevens was in, than she played at the 3 as the front court was always KLS, Collier, G. Williams, Stevens, a M. Walker.

Teams rarely cut their 1st Round pick, so Nurse will get her chance. Now, could she screw it up? Absolutely. But Nurse has a high basketball IQ. I think she'll find a way to make herself useful. As for Bec, she had no bigger supporter than me going into last season. But after having a fantastic season shooting the ball in 2016-17 -- 50.3% 3Pt combined for here and overseas -- she's been bad this past season both here and overseas. And history indicates that she's a streaky shooter. So, I don't know what we'll get this season. On paper, Allen and Nurse aren't that different. Offensively, they are both primarily spot-up shooters. We'll see who blends in better on both offense and defense. In that regard, you'd think that Allen has an advantage if they play similar systems to Laimbeer's. However, Bec would still have to make shots, and we simply don't know what Smith plans to do. So, based on Allen's recent struggles, and the fact that most teams want their 1st Round pick to succeed, fans are projecting that Nurse will beat out Allen. If you want to keep both, then who else would you drop? Give up on Boyd? Carry only four post players? The ideal scenario is if you could trade Rodgers for a quality pick, but can you?

PostPosted: 04/12/18 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I don’t know why you guys didn’t draft Maria Jespersen instead of this Robinson.

For the same reason why no one else drafted Jesperson. Razz

Really, drafting Robinson was no big deal. We lost out on Reisingerova and Wagner (whom you wanted). Everyone else, including Jesperson, is now available as a free agent.

PostPosted: 04/12/18 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Hartley/LAllen/Boyd
Prince/Rodgers/Nurse
Zellous/BAllen
Stokes/Vaughn/Russell

That’s one too many

I’m not sure why Lindsay Allen is universally loved, but If Boyd will be fine in short order, I’d consider cutting LAllen and having Prince back up the point. I don’t think you’ll have to worry about Allen getting snapped up by another team in case you decide you need her down the line.

Hartley/Boyd(until 100%)
Prince(backup PG)/Rodgers/Nurse
Zellous/BAllen
Charles/Zahui
Stokes/Vaughn/Russell

This way you can keep tall BAllen.

I really want Boyd and Russell to prove me wrong because ATM I like this

Hartley/L. Allen
Prince/Rodgers/Nurse
Zelous/B. Allen
Charles/Zahui B.
Stokes/Vaughn/Hamson (off the waiver wire)

It makes me feel crappy cause Boyd deserves to be on the team, it is not her fault she has struggled with injuries, but I prefer the steady hand of L. Allen at PG. L. Allen is not flashy but last year when she was on the court for the Liberty is was like hooray our PG isn't going to dribble it off her foot, get pick pocketed or pass it to someone on the sidelines. Which has happened too much the last two seasons when we didn't have a true PG on the floor.

I'm just not that jazzed about Russell, she could absolutely be the steal of the draft in a couple of season, but I would prefer my 6' 7" back up center to be a shot blocker and rim protector as opposed to someone with soft hands around the rim.

And while we've said it before this is the year that Zahui B and Bec Allen come through, so I don't want to give up on either and there isn't enough roo on the team for two finesse players in the post like Zahui B and Russell, or for 8 players on the perimeter, which is what we have if we keep everyone I like.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/13/18 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now you want to cut Boyd in favor of LAllen?
You don’t want to give Russell a chance?
Nobody’s picking up Hamson anytime soon.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/13/18 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah I feel kind of weird after this draft.

I really like Nurse but I kind of thought something more dramatic/exciting would happen during the draft. I think Kia will be a great asset as a defender and a 3 ball shooter it is a very solid pick for #10.

I do like L. Allen, I thought she would be the one to go if we picked up a guard as we did, but now faced with that I really don't want to give up L. Allen, maybe after a few years of 'lead' guards and no real PGs I kind of like having that steady hand to come off the bench and run the offense like a distributing PG.

I really want Boyd to be healthy and play great. When she is on she is so exciting, and that is something I really miss on this team. I hate when injuries derail someone's career, but it has been a while since she has been a consistent great player for us. I want nothing more for her to succeed. So hopefully I'm wrong but I feel a little skeptical about that happening, hopefully it does.

I saw enough Tennessee games to be impressed by what Russell does one minute I mean 16 pts and 9 reb in a power 5 conference is nothing to sneeze, but I also saw enough games and found myself wondering where is Russell? she seemed to be killing it, and now I haven't seen her impact in the last 15 minutes.

Hamson is likely to end up on the waiver wire and I doubt she makes it off the waiver wire without being picked up and probably making a final roster. HecK for what Minn needs I would probably take her over Fagbenle, she had a surprisingly good season for a bad Indy team last year.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 04/13/18 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I really like Nurse but I kind of thought something more dramatic/exciting would happen during the draft. I think Kia will be a great asset as a defender and a 3 ball shooter it is a very solid pick for #10.

I do like L. Allen, I thought she would be the one to go if we picked up a guard as we did, but now faced with that I really don't want to give up L. Allen, maybe after a few years of 'lead' guards and no real PGs I kind of like having that steady hand to come off the bench and run the offense like a distributing PG.

I really want Boyd to be healthy and play great. When she is on she is so exciting, and that is something I really miss on this team. I hate when injuries derail someone's career, but it has been a while since she has been a consistent great player for us. I want nothing more for her to succeed. So hopefully I'm wrong but I feel a little skeptical about that happening, hopefully it does.

I saw enough Tennessee games to be impressed by what Russell does one minute I mean 16 pts and 9 reb in a power 5 conference is nothing to sneeze, but I also saw enough games and found myself wondering where is Russell? she seemed to be killing it, and now I haven't seen her impact in the last 15 minutes.

Hamson is likely to end up on the waiver wire and I doubt she makes it off the waiver wire without being picked up and probably making a final roster. HecK for what Minn needs I would probably take her over Fagbenle, she had a surprisingly good season for a bad Indy team last year.

yeah u feel that way cuz its not a flashy pick. i wish we got Lexie Brown instead of Nurse, but old news now gotta move on, still a hole on the SF spot position. i dont think Nurse is "really" 6'0 foot.....Height police, where ya at lol

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/13/18 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

yeah u feel that way cuz its not a flashy pick. i wish we got Lexie Brown instead of Nurse, but old news now gotta move on, still a hole on the SF spot position. i dont think Nurse is "really" 6'0 foot.....Height police, where ya at lol

Me Neither , i think more along the 5"9-5"10 size. Its crazy how these players get listed at such heights in college then come into the WNBA and look like Miniaturized .

PostPosted: 04/13/18 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Me Neither , i think more along the 5"9-5"10 size. Its crazy how these players get listed at such heights in college then come into the WNBA and look like Miniaturized .

I'm thinking Kia and ViVi are similar in size - and my guess is around 5-11. I think she will be solid for y'all. Every team needs a reliable guard and I think that's what she can provide. And Russell way down where she went is good value. I assume she'll stay on the team at least and maybe if she shows well enough it could mean Vaughn or Stokes could go on the trading block...but I wouldn't count on it. I like that she (Russell) hired a trainer and has been really working out - it can't hurt and shows initiative on her part. All in all I think NY did well considering where you were picking.

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/13/18 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the best I can do:

Nurse looks taller than Taurasi and maybe even Maya.

With Shona Thornborn, who is listed at 5-10.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So they have to carry Boyd as one of their 12 or can she be suspended and then waive someone when she's ready?

PG: Hartley/(Boyd)/LAllen
SG: Prince/Rodgers
SF: Zellous/Nurse
PF: Charles/Gray
C: Vaughn/Stokes/Russell

Either RAllen or Faris stick until Boyd is 100% if they can carry and "13th,".

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 04/13/18 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty should also look into signing Flaherty, Ke'Shunan James and/or Tyra Buss.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 04/13/18 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Liberty flat out cut Zahui, the Mystics would be crazy not to pick her up.
It’s not going to happen though.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/13/18 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
So they have to carry Boyd as one of their 12 or can she be suspended and then waive someone when she's ready?

I think because the injury occurred while playing with the Liberty, they can't suspend her. The Liberty are responsible. Suspended players don't get paid, and Boyd definitely should be paid. On the other hand, they can cut her. The team still has to pay Boyd and she remains against the cap, but the roster spot becomes available. That assumes NY still has enough cap space to sign a new player.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Depth Chart:

PG:
1. Bria Hartley
2. Brittany Boyd
3. Lindsay Allen

SG:
1. Epiphanny Prince
2. Kia Nurse
3. Shay Murphy
4. Kelly Faris

SF:
1. Shavonte Zellous
2. Reshanda Gray
3. Rebecca Allen
4. Leslie Robinson

PF:
1. Tina Charles
2. Kiah Stokes
3. Jillian Alleyne

C:
1. Kia Vaughn
2. Mercedes Russell
3. Amanda Zahui B
4. Rachel Hollivay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 40 of 90

Jump to: