RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 Team USA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/14/18 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Does anyone know something about Loyd health? She didnt participate in all the exercises i think

She did participate partially. She had a stress fracture of the foot which perhaps limited her.

awhom111

PostPosted: 03/14/18 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a pretty good job of burying the lede:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/03/2018-wnt-assistants.aspx

In addition to coaching news, six more players have been added to the pool.
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 03/16/18 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great article on Dawn! For South Carolina coach Dawn Staley, the game is life and life is the game:

http://www.espn.com/espnw/feature/22732028/for-south-carolina-coach-dawn-staley-game-life-life-game?addata=espnw:womenbb:index

Shades

PostPosted: 03/26/18 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although it looks like it’s not going to happen with this current team, I wish they’d fast track Ionescu as a future face of Team USA women’s basketball.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 03/26/18 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Although it looks like it’s not going to happen with this current team, I wish they’d fast track Ionescu as a future face of Team USA women’s basketball.

Doesn't seem like it's going to happen for 2018. But I sure hope she's in the pool for 2020.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/26/18 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Doesn't seem like it's going to happen for 2018. But I sure hope she's in the pool for 2020.

I hope she is on the 2020 team.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/27/18 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has Ionescu appeared as part of any USA team? They'd better cap her soon. There's a great article from the Oregonian that shows just how seriously she takes her Romanian heritage (http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2018/03/for_oregons_sabrina_ionescu_fa.html , you'll have to turn off your ad blocker but it's worth it) and I can see her deciding to single-handedly build a national team for them if she's eligible.

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 03/27/18 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Has Ionescu appeared as part of any USA team?

Yes. She was on the U16 team that won the FIBA Americas in 2013 and the U17 that won the 2014 Worlds. She was also on the U24 team last year.

https://www.usab.com/basketball/players/womens/i/ionescu-sabrina.aspx

PostPosted: 03/27/18 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sabrina Ionescu, in fact, broke out at the USA U16 trials. She was one of the uninvited who came to tryouts, and wound up making the team. (Those who think USA Basketball is all political should take note, as no one knew who she was when she got there ...)

Also, even though her parents are Romanian, my understanding is that her USA Basketball experience means she will always count as an American in overseas leagues.

PostPosted: 03/27/18 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Also, even though her parents are Romanian, my understanding is that her USA Basketball experience means she will always count as an American in overseas leagues.

Didn’t Vandersloot have USA Basketball experience? Pretty sure she did.
Seems like it doesn’t tie you down unless you actually play at the senior level.

https://www.usab.com/basketball/players/womens/v/vandersloot-courtney.aspx

Quote:
Named as a finalist for the 2016 U.S. Olympic Women's Basketball Team on Jan. 25, 2016.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/27/18 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Seems like it doesn’t tie you down unless you actually play at the senior level.

Quote:
Named as a finalist for the 2016 U.S. Olympic Women's Basketball Team on Jan. 25, 2016.

Bump

PostPosted: 03/27/18 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Quote:

Bump

I don't believe she's ever played in an actual competition for USA basketball, just camps.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/27/18 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Has Ionescu appeared as part of any USA team?

Yes. She was on the U16 team that won the FIBA Americas in 2013 and the U17 that won the 2014 Worlds. She was also on the U24 team last year.

https://www.usab.com/basketball/players/womens/i/ionescu-sabrina.aspx

She was near the bottom of the cumulative box score on the U16 and U17 teams. On the U23 team she averaged 10.3 PPG (behind Durr and Mitchell), 2.7 RPG and 2.0 APG.
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 03/29/18 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ClayK"]Sabrina Ionescu, in fact, broke out at the USA U16 trials. She was one of the uninvited who came to tryouts, and wound up making the team. (Those who think USA Basketball is all political should take note, as no one knew who she was when she got there ...)

Also, even though her parents are Romanian, my understanding is that her USA Basketball experience means she will always count as an American in overseas leagues.[/quote]

From what I understand under 19 doesn’t count so she can play for Romania which would be a good bet for her as she likes to run the show.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/29/18 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
From what I understand under 19 doesn’t count so she can play for Romania which would be a good bet for her as she likes to run the show.

Does her appearance on the U24 team at the Four Nations tournament count?

PostPosted: 03/29/18 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

Does her appearance on the U24 team at the Four Nations tournament count?

The Four Nations Tournament was not a FIBA event so it does not count.

Playing for youth national teams does not mean that you cannot switch, but it does require paperwork and other administrative steps.

I would assume any future move to Romania would be a financial consideration for club play, which is the usual reason for Americans to want to be considered European, and not for national team reasons.
Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/30/18 2:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

A good bet for her? Really?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/30/18 2:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plenty of players who 'like to run the show' have managed to settle in just fine with Team USA when it meant winning boatloads of medals. You either fit in with the team ethos a bit, or you get so damn good that you're pretty much running the show for the US as well. Neither of those would particularly surprise me with Ionescu.

And players that heavily entrenched within the USA Basketball system rarely switch countries, certainly not until years later when it's become clear that making the final 12 for tournaments is unlikely. With a name like Ionescu I'd imagine the Romanian hierarchy have already contacted her and offered her a place on their team, and she's chosen to go with the US instead. I'd imagine she'll be American for the forseeable future.

PostPosted: 03/30/18 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Plenty of players who 'like to run the show' have managed to settle in just fine with Team USA when it meant winning boatloads of medals. You either fit in with the team ethos a bit, or you get so damn good that you're pretty much running the show for the US as well. Neither of those would particularly surprise me with Ionescu.

And players that heavily entrenched within the USA Basketball system rarely switch countries, certainly not until years later when it's become clear that making the final 12 for tournaments is unlikely. With a name like Ionescu I'd imagine the Romanian hierarchy have already contacted her and offered her a place on their team, and she's chosen to go with the US instead. I'd imagine she'll be American for the forseeable future.

One would think ... but when I talked to Sabrina's dad, he really had no idea about any of this, hadn't been approached by the Romanians and didn't really know about the advantages of being considered European. And he has been hugely into her career since fourth grade.

This was prior to this season, though, so maybe Romania woke up. But maybe they don't care very much, as one would have thought they would have approached her after she was MVP of the McDonald's game.

(I will check with USA Basketball on eligibility. Someone told me Sabrina could never be considered European because she played for USA Basketball in FIBA-sanctioned events.)

PostPosted: 03/30/18 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

One would think ... but when I talked to Sabrina's dad, he really had no idea about any of this, hadn't been approached by the Romanians and didn't really know about the advantages of being considered European. And he has been hugely into her career since fourth grade.

This was prior to this season, though, so maybe Romania woke up. But maybe they don't care very much, as one would have thought they would have approached her after she was MVP of the McDonald's game.

(I will check with USA Basketball on eligibility. Someone told me Sabrina could never be considered European because she played for USA Basketball in FIBA-sanctioned events.)

I think there are two different questions which can be important for Ionescu.
1) What national team can she play for.
2) What nationality can she have.

I believe she can have two passports (idk if she does), American and Romanian at once. Which would make her a citizen of the EU and therefore she can be counted as a European on any roster in Europe. Even if she was a US national team member. That would be an advantage for her when getting a contract in Europe.

If she has played for US national team after she turned 18, she cannot play for Romania anymore. Has she?

more on this: http://www.fiba.basketball/downloads/v3_expe/agen/docs/3-ELIGIBILITY-NATIONAL-STATUS-of-%20PLAYERS.pdf

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/30/18 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fanaticka wrote:
I believe she can have two passports (idk if she does), American and Romanian at once. Which would make her a citizen of the EU and therefore she can be counted as a European on any roster in Europe. Even if she was a US national team member. That would be an advantage for her when getting a contract in Europe.

Nah, they closed that hole several years ago. Nowadays, if you actually play for a country at senior level in FIBA competition, that's locked as your nationality for club basketball. So even if, say, Diana Taurasi has strong enough Italian roots to claim a passport, she'd still count as American for her club.

PostPosted: 03/30/18 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
fanaticka wrote:

Nah, they closed that hole several years ago. Nowadays, if you actually play for a country at senior level in FIBA competition, that's locked as your nationality for club basketball. So even if, say, Diana Taurasi has strong enough Italian roots to claim a passport, she'd still count as American for her club.

So is it only the senior level? In other words, if Sabrina never made the
WNT, she could be a European in terms of club ball?

PostPosted: 04/12/18 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA Basketball announces that the exhibition opponent will be China:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/04/wnt-v-chn-announced.aspx

A chance to scout Li Yueru for the 2019 draft?
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/16/18 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is who will be available:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/04/april-wnt-camp-roster.aspx

Tina, Chiney, Odyssey, and Courtney are the pros not available who are not missing it due to overseas play.
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 04/24/18 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Training camp, Day 1: https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/04/wnt-camp-day-1.aspx

Scrimmage against China will stream on Thursday at 10PM Eastern.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 12 of 23

Jump to: