RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Draft Day Demographics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/18 9:07 pm    ::: Draft Day Demographics Reply Reply with quote

Oldest Player Drafted
Rebecca Greenwell 2/27/1994

Youngest Player Drafted
Ji-Su Park 12/6/1998

NOTE: Maria Vadeeva is the first player drafted who was born after 12 June 1997, meaning she has literally never lived in a world without a WNBA

By Country of Birth

28 USA
2 Germany
2 Russia
1 Australia
1 Canada
1 South Korea
1 Zimbabwe

PostPosted: 04/12/18 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

who's the player from Zimbabwe? And isn't Julia Reisingerová from Czech Rep.?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/18 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By state of birth (for US born players)

3 California
3 Oregon
2 Alabama
2 Florida
2 Georgia
2 New Jersey
2 Texas
1 Arkansas
1 Illinois
1 Indiana
1 Maryland
1 Massachusetts
1 Minnesota
1 Mississippi
1 Montana
1 Nevada
1 Ohio
1 Rhode Island
1 South Carolina

By Zodiac

5 Aquarius
5 Pisces
5 Virgo
4 Sagittarius
4 Scorpio
3 Gemini
3 Leo
2 Aries
2 Cancer
2 Taurus
1 Capricorn
0 Libra

PostPosted: 04/12/18 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
who's the player from Zimbabwe? And isn't Julia Reisingerová from Czech Rep.?

Mavunga was born in Zimbabwe

Reisingerova is Chech but was actually born in Germany

PostPosted: 04/12/18 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By School

BAYLOR
Kristy Wallace is the 14th Bear to be drafted

CALIFORNIA
Mikayla Cowling is the 8th Golden Bear to be drafted

CONNECTICUT
Gabby Williams, Azura Stevens, and Kia Nurse are the 34th, 35th, and 36th Huskies to be drafted and the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd to go in the first round

DEPAUL
Amarah Coleman is the 11th Blue Demon to be drafted

DUKE
Lexie Brown and Rebecca Greenwell are the 22nd and 23rd Blue Devils to be drafted. Brown is the 11th to go in the first round.

FLORIDA STATE
Shakaya Thomas and Imani Wright are the 13th and 14th Seminoles to b drafted

GEORGE MASON
Natalie Butler is the 1st Patriot to be drafted!

GEORGIA
Mackenzie Engram is the 22nd Bulldog to be drafted

GONZAGA
Jill Barta is the 6th Zag to be drafted

LOUISVILLE
Myisha Hines-Allen is the 8th Cardinal to be drafted

LSU
Raigyne Louis is the 19th Lady Tiger to be drafted

MERCER
Kahlia Lawrence is the 2nd Bear to be drafted and the highest ever!

MINNESOTA
Carlie Wagner is the 7th Gopher to be drafted

MISSISSIPPI STATE
Victoria Vivians is the 6th Bulldog to be drafted and the 4th to go in the first round

OHIO STATE
Kelsey Mitchell and Stephanie Mavunga are the 13th and 14th Buckeye to be drafted. Mitchell is the 5th to go in the first round and tied for the highest ever!

OKLAHOMA STATE
Loryn Goodwinis the 5th Cowgirl to be drafted

OREGON STATE
Marie Gulich is the 6th Beaver to be drafted and the 2nd to go in the first round

PRINCETON
Leslie Robinson is the 1st Tiger to be drafted!

RUTGERS
Tyler Scaife is the 20th Scarlet Knight to be drafted

SOUTH CAROLINA
A'ja Wilson is the 10th Gamecock to be drafted, the 7th to go in the first round, and the highest ever!

TENNESSEE
Diamond DeShields, Jaime Nared, and Mercedes Russell are the 40th, 41st, and 42nd Lady Vols to be drafted. DeShields is the 17th to go in the first round.

TEXAS
Aerial Atkins is the 14th Longhorn to be drafted and the 5th to go in the first round

UCLA
Jordin Canada and Monique Billings are the 10th and 11th Bruins to be drafted. Canada is the 5th to go in the first round.

WEST VIRGINIA
Teana Muldrow is the 8th Mountaineer to be drafted

PostPosted: 04/12/18 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many players from Asia have been drafted? Is Saniya Chong the only "Asian" player to have been drafted who did not grow up in Asia?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
By School

Does only the most recent school count? What if the player has attended two or three schools? How would a grad transfer be treated? This is too complicated. I'm glad you're on the case.
bcdawg04

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Or maybe we could count Chong amongst the many African-American players who didn't grow up in Africa?

She's Asian-African-American. She's American.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
Rolling Eyes Or maybe we could count Chong amongst the many African-American players who didn't grow up in Africa?

I had wondered if she was 100% "Asian".

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

Her mother is black and her father is Chinese. In a video interview I did with her in high school, she jokingly referred to herself as "Blackinese".

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:
:roll: Or maybe we could count Chong amongst the many African-American players who didn't grow up in Africa?

By census she is considered African-American.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
tfan wrote:

By census she is considered African-American.

They don't have a slot for mixed race? I actually had the thought that if someone is half black and half white (e.g. Obama) they are normally referred to as black and wondered what people would do in this situation - "Asian", black, "mixed race"?

Last edited by tfan on 04/12/18 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/12/18 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
How many players from Asia have been drafted? Is Saniya Chong the only "Asian" player to have been drafted who did not grow up in Asia?

Leilani Mitchell was drafted.
pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/18 7:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

I have not traced the lineage of every WNBA player

PostPosted: 04/13/18 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By Name

Many of the draftees have unique names, which is to say we've never had a DeShields or Canada or Stevens in the league. However, several have names shared with other current and former players.

WILSON
A'ja is more high profile than Amanda, who played in the league, or Lindsey, who was drafted but failed to make a roster

MITCHELL
Kelsey joins Leilani and Tiffany, the latter in more ways than one since she's on the team that drafted Kelsey

WILLIAMS
A popular name. Adrain, Angelina, Beverly, Courtney, Debra, Elizabeth, Kamiko, Kim, Lenae, Natalie, Riquna, Rita, Shaquala, Tara, and Toccara played in the league. Marlena, Ronni, and Tere were also drafted.

ATKINS
None have played in the league. Michi was drafted in the 1997 Elite Draft and was the only player from that draft to never appear in the league.

BROWN
Another popular one. Cindy, Coretta, Edwina, Kiesha, La'Shawn, Leslie, and Rushia played in the league. April, Juana, and Tomeka were also drafted.

THOMAS
Alyssa, Carla, Christi, Jasmine, Krystal, LaToya, and Stacey played in the league. Bianca was also drafted.

WRIGHT
Monica, Shereka, and Tanisha played in the league.

COLEMAN
Courtney and Marissa played in the league. LaTavia was also drafted.

BUTLER
Heather played in the league. Briana and Jennifer were also drafted. Also note Briana Gilbreath-Butler.

ROBINSON
Angel, Ashley, Crystal, Danielle, Renee, and Scholanda played in the league. The other Angel and Tahnee were also drafted.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How long will be until all players drafted born after the WNBA was started?

PostPosted: 04/13/18 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
How long will be until all players drafted born after the WNBA was started?

Considering we had players drafted this year who were born in 1994, it will likely be 2021 at the earliest.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don't understand this idea of "'Asian' [person] who did not grow up in Asia" nor why we would ever label someone in such a way.

It diminishes a person to label her with such a broad term as "Asian" simply because she has some kind of Asian lineage.

Chong, per GlennMacGrady, identified herself as "Blackinese," acknowledging her Black heritage and her Chinese heritage. To try to label her as "Asian," discounts not only the fact that she's American but also the diversity of Asia.

I've only visited 2 Asian countries (and I will see a 3rd later this year), but I'm sure someone who traveled extensively through Asia would likely find less diversity in hair color among locals than what we see in North America or Europe. Many Asian languages don't use the English alphabet or something else based on the Latin alphabet, and I (as an English speaker) unfortunately couldn't distinguish between most of them. This, however, does not mean that Asia is any more ethnically homogeneous than, say, Europe.

We can talk about a player from Spain and a player from the Czech Republic and a player from Serbia without lumping them together as if their experiences or cultural identities must relate closely. I can't imagine anyone ever referring to Sabrina Ionescu as a "'European' player who didn't grow up in Europe."

Yes, Chong and Mitchell are both part Asian. That's great--diversity is very important and something I value greatly. But the story doesn't end there for either of them, and if we simply label them as "Asian," then we aren't doing much of anything to recognize diversity. They were both born and raised in the US, so they are both American. One of them is a dual American-Australian. One is from the state of New York and the other is from the state of Washington. One is part Chinese and the other I think is not. One is part Black and the other I'm pretty sure is not. So just because both are part Asian doesn't mean they necessarily are more alike than not.

Shoni Schimmel is from the Umatilla tribe. Angel Goodrich is Cherokee (and part Black). Chong is part Black and part Chinese. Mitchell is part Australian with Filipino, Malaysian, Singaporean, and Indian heritage. Recognizing diversity matters.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/18 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
This, however, does not mean that Asia is any more ethnically homogeneous than, say, Europe.

Asia is considerably less homogeneous than Europe. For example, Ethnologue has 6909 currently spoken languages in its database. 230 of them are used in Europe compared to 2197 in Asia.

PostPosted: 04/17/18 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
tfan wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

Her mother is black and her father is Chinese. In a video interview I did with her in high school, she jokingly referred to herself as "Blackinese".

Or she could've adopted a phrase similar to what Tiger Woods once called himself: "Cablinasian" — a mix of Caucasian, black, (American) Indian and Asian.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: