RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

you really should read this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 04/12/18 7:00 am    ::: you really should read this. Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/technology/personaltech/i-downloaded-the-information-that-facebook-has-on-me-yikes.html

Quote:
One surprising part of my index file was a section called Contact Info. This contained the 764 names and phone numbers of everyone in my iPhone’s address book. Upon closer inspection, it turned out that Facebook had stored my entire phone book because I had uploaded it when setting up Facebook’s messaging app, Messenger.

of course, google was doing this loooong before zukerberg had a thought in his head. it goes way back to . . . netscape?

PostPosted: 04/12/18 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The guy that wrote that is a freaking idiot. He put all that contact information on his iPhone, which allowed it to go to Apple's servers, then uploaded it to Facebook, so now it's on their servers, at a time when data mining and directed advertising are big business, and now he's complaining that all his info is "out there"? And to be clear, it's not his info, it's the personal info of all his contacts, who are probably trying to unfriend him about now.

sambista

PostPosted: 04/12/18 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
The guy that wrote that is a freaking idiot. He put all that contact information on his iPhone, which allowed it to go to Apple's servers, then uploaded it to Facebook, so now it's on their servers, at a time when data mining and directed advertising are big business, and now he's complaining that all his info is "out there"? And to be clear, it's not his info, it's the personal info of all his contacts, who are probably trying to unfriend him about now.

granted, people do a lot of stupid things without thinking about them, especially when those things are pitched as conveniences. and you'd be hard pressed to find people who actually read terms of agreement, but can we get real for a second? who the freak doesn't put contacts on their iphone? the fact is there is little you can do to avoid falling into the digital pit if you want to survive in the modern, digital world. yes, you can do some practical things to avoid being on the data-mining radar, and you can even go the route of being an extreme outsider, but there's a price for that isolation.

PostPosted: 04/12/18 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And so often it is only an annoying popup, at the worst time, simply asking you to allow an app, a quite famous entity's app, like something from Apple or Facebook, which to most people sounds 'legit', access to your photo library, location services, and, in the fine print of so many things, your friends and contacts. And maybe you're out in the sun and can't see the freaking screen that well. I mean, reality.

This all starts with a basic problem that we the American people will never have solved for us by a representative government that should allow US to change the laws to PROTECT OURSELVES. And that is that these entities SHOULD have access to our personal data, collect information on us, use it to sell us shit or SELL it to others who mine from it things that we or they have not yet imagined could come from it.

It doesn't matter whether we're stupid or not. We protect ourselves. We protect people who have limited mental capacities. We should protect everyone from the shortcoming of their understanding in a world that is so connected electronically and over thin air from what only the sharks of technology COULD know.

Sorry I just read a comment on the New York Times to the 2nd Day of Questioning article. Really t'd me off.

Anyway, here's my comment to that article.

jammer LA 22 hours ago

I certainly haven't and won't watch much of any of this. So I'm asking, did anyone ask Zuckerberg the most important question in the minds of so many Americans? Can a Facebook user quit the platform, delete his or her account and by doing so remove all traces of their personal information and data from all things Facebook? Is there a way to do that, and if there isn't, why not, and will you provide one to users who want to log out of Facebook permanently? What measures will you take to ensure that those user's data is wiped clean from your servers or wherever you store user data?

Just please tell me someone on those panels is enough of a Facebook user to have naturally wondered about these questions themselves to the point that they would have come up in the hearing.

PostPosted: 04/12/18 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i did the same thing the nyt reporter did - downloaded what facebook had on me - and now i can start eliminating stuff i thought was harmless to have. but facebook will keep that data. so like so much else, the damage is done.

we can blame ourselves, too, for all the times we allowed ourselves to be snowed, like when we took those cool little tokens from our neighborhood grocery store so we could get instant discounts. and how considerate of them - they even punched a hole in the tokens so we could slip 'em on our key rings. we're only a few iterations away from "minority report." i fully expect that any day some voice will be calling out to me on the street: "hey, bibb! your favorite ben & jerry's is on sale right here!"

PostPosted: 04/12/18 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know someone who says we're only five years from The Hunger Games.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
granted, people do a lot of stupid things without thinking about them, especially when those things are pitched as conveniences. and you'd be hard pressed to find people who actually read terms of agreement, but can we get real for a second? who the freak doesn't put contacts on their iphone? the fact is there is little you can do to avoid falling into the digital pit if you want to survive in the modern, digital world. yes, you can do some practical things to avoid being on the data-mining radar, and you can even go the route of being an extreme outsider, but there's a price for that isolation.

I'm dealing with this right now. For years, I've had a Blackberry, which meant I could put all my contacts and calendar, containing account numbers and whatever I wanted, on my phone, then back it up to Outlook on my PC. That information didn't go anywhere else. Then the BB Corp stopped making BB phones and started making Androids like everyone else, and Microsoft stopped selling Outlook software and started pushing Outlook 365.

And now my BB is in its death throes, and I have to decide whose pool I want to float all my information in...Google, Microsoft, and/or Apple, knowing that a lot of it isn't my information, it's my contacts' information. And I wonder how many of my contacts are following my attempts at security vs just putting my unlisted phone number, birth date, and other personal information on someone's server where it can be hacked, mined, and sold.

We give up our personal info way too easily and then wonder why identity theft is a problem. And we allow way too many entities to hoard that info...witness our exposure at two of our largest credit reporting agencies this past year. And like idiots we now willy-nilly provide our digital fingerprints to those same servers and our DNA results to companies to use for who knows what undisclosed purposes.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/14/18 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
We give up our personal info way too easily and then wonder why identity theft is a problem.... And like idiots we now willy-nilly provide our digital fingerprints to those same servers and our DNA results to companies to use for who knows what undisclosed purposes.

Can dystopia be far behind? Shocked

There's something perfectly Orwellian in all of this cycle (Technology = Enhanced Lives = Breached Lives). I just figure, I'm an old man who's not rich....what's to lose? Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: