RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Deleter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/12/18 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
I do have to say that it's an interesting twist to have someone say that ND won because a ref was pro-Catholic. It used to be ND losing because a ref was anti-Catholic Wink (actually, there were probably cases where that was true, but that was at least 80-100 years ago).

There was even an epic troll post about it back on the old "rec.sports.football.college" usenet newsgroup (how many people remember those?). On that newsgroup, "fishing" (aka trolling) was not only tolerated, it was actually encouraged as part of that newsgroup's culture.

After Boston College beat ND 30-11 (It was a really bad season for ND that year), a poster created a new username (Maria Pescadero) and posted: "It wasn't Lou Holts's (sic) fault that BC beat ND. The refs were obviously anti-Catholic!"

Maria, BC is also a Catholic school.

That was the joke.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/12/18 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow...this thread. Rolling Eyes

So, what about a ref that maybe retweets a lot of #metoo posts? Are they more inclined to make calls in favor of a team coached by a woman than a man?

What about a ref that maybe retweets a lot of #blacklivesmatter posts? Are they more inclined to make calls in favor of a team coached by an African-American coach than a white coach?

Seriously, where the hell does this end?

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/12/18 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Wow...this thread. Rolling Eyes

So, what about a ref that maybe retweets a lot of #metoo posts? Are they more inclined to make calls in favor of a team coached by a woman than a man?

What about a ref that maybe retweets a lot of #blacklivesmatter posts? Are they more inclined to make calls in favor of a team coached by an African-American coach than a white coach?

Seriously, where the hell does this end?

I agree completely. So college officials should not be allowed to be on social media, or their social media posts should be monitored (by whom?) for potential bias (and who would determine when a line was crossed?)?

Evangelical Christians can't do Baylor games; Republicans can't do HSBC games; a graduate from a Pac-12 school can't do Pac-12 games.

At the high school level, I remember one fan complaining that the ref, in his 40s or 50s, was biased because he graduated from one of the high schools involved in the game.

Maybe that was a point -- so if the ref's dad went to Notre Dame, and raised the child as a ND fan, the ref can never do ND games?

Please ...

PostPosted: 04/12/18 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can see not letting a ref do a game of their alma mater. People are often more attached to their universities than their high schools.

What are HSBC games?

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry ... HBCU. I knew I should have looked it up ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: