RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Deleter
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/08/18 11:34 pm    ::: Deleter Reply Reply with quote

Nevermind, changed my mind lol.

Last edited by acsuc99 on 04/08/18 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
GEF34

PostPosted: 04/08/18 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since you are calling him out, what is the status of the other refs, who do they follow and not follow, what do they post about. Why is he being singled out and yet nothing is noted about the other refs, it was a crew not a one man show.

And on another note of these "questionable calls" you are pointing out how many were his to make or ones he did make?

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/08/18 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Since you are calling him out, what is the status of the other refs, who do they follow and not follow, what do they post about. Why is he being singled out and yet nothing is noted about the other refs, it was a crew not a one man show.

And on another note of these "questionable calls" you are pointing out how many were his to make or ones he did make?

Isn't is common knowledge Dee Kantner is incompetent? Not sure she needs the calling out lol. The other refs are smart enough not to have a twitter account that is more religious than the Bible? He was the trailer who should have had a birds eye view on Mabrey-Morgan, arguably the most important non call.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/09/18 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is not common knowledge that Dee Kanter is incompetent. She is an excellent official, works hard, knows the rules, is in proper position, controls the game and doesn't put herself above the players.

Of course she makes bad calls -- it's an impossible game to officiate and often fans, players and coaches have better angles.

And how many games have you officiated, and what level?

PostPosted: 04/09/18 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It is not common knowledge that Dee Kanter is incompetent. She is an excellent official, works hard, knows the rules, is in proper position, controls the game and doesn't put herself above the players.

Of course she makes bad calls -- it's an impossible game to officiate and often fans, players and coaches have better angles.

And how many games have you officiated, and what level?

I don't always agree on your thoughts, but we are in complete agreement on this. Whenever she officiated any games I was involved with I thought she did a great job. Did she miss some calls, absolutely...who doesn't? With the pace of play and having 10 bodies out there moving around, it is very difficult to get every call right and quite honestly, it is impossible.

One of the things I always loved about her and a few others is that they are very willing to admit they may have gotten something wrong as well as they would try to look for something if the coach complained about something not getting called, such as illegal screens, traveling, etc. IMO, an official that can admit they may have missed something or made a mistake is a very confident official. Those are the ones I want doing my games. The officials that get defensive and don't want to talk to the coaches are the ones that are not confident in their abilities.

Dee is one of the best.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/09/18 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fans are entitled to like or not like whomever they want among the player, coaching and reffing ranks. Remember how mercilessly Sally Bell was attacked: "Sally Bell, the ref from Hell." And she was a Naismith winning ref.

Me, I've long thought of Dee Kantner as perhaps the best ref in WBB. She was the co-first woman chosen to ref in the NBA.

I agree with the proposition that WBB has the best refs available to the sport and that it is unlikely that any system can be devised to produce better refs. All humans make mistakes, and in the game of basketball refs make fewer mistakes than the players or coaches. It's useless to demand perfection from refs, but it's equally hopeless that fan(atic)s will stop doing so.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/18 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sally Bell WAS awful. She got kicked upstairs, a living example of the Peter Principle.

YMMV and probably does. I was just glad when she got out of the SEC.

PostPosted: 04/09/18 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's interesting to me that people believe that refs who've been around for a long time aren't any good -- that's simply not the case. (Now it may be they hang on for a couple years too long, but they're still very likely to be above average. Experience means so much in officiating ...)

Officials are graded by their conferences, and by the coaches. Their games are reviewed on tape. In postseason, they are graded by the NCAA.

These grades have a lot to do with knowledge of the rules, floor positioning, communication, etc., because judgment calls are just that, judgment calls. A bad judgment call in the first quarter on the seventh player in the rotation counts just as much in the eyes of evaluators as a bad judgment call on a star in the final minute -- they both could have equal impact on the game.

Look, I've seen enough bad officiating in high school to last a lifetime -- and I would shine Sally Bell's shoes if she would do one of our games -- and your best chance at getting a well-officiated game is having an experienced ref who's done big games for a long time, because experience matters and those big game assignments only go to the best officials.

PostPosted: 04/09/18 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They grade what's out there....and truth to tell, a lot of times what's out there is just simply mediocre, period. They compare them with each other....and give the better grades to the best of a bad deal. I sit through CAA games and we get the dregs of the ACC. Good grief, can it get much worse? Every once in awhile you get a decent one, but mostly they are pretty sad.

PostPosted: 04/09/18 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
They grade what's out there....and truth to tell, a lot of times what's out there is just simply mediocre, period. They compare them with each other....and give the better grades to the best of a bad deal. I sit through CAA games and we get the dregs of the ACC. Good grief, can it get much worse? Every once in awhile you get a decent one, but mostly they are pretty sad.

Worse? Try high school. Try club ball. Try CYO.

Unless you're willing to ref yourself, or actively encourage others to do so, or actively quiet down those who scream at refs in the stands, or quiet down yourself if that applies to you, complaining about the officiating is like complaining about the weather.

No one can do anything about it, and when it's bad, pointing it out just makes it worse.

PostPosted: 04/09/18 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL 9 responses to a post I deleted.

The original post was a link to the twitter page of the male referee who worked the title game. It contained more Roman Catholic verses than the Bible. AND 2 RT's of the ND official accounts the weekend of the Final 4. Muffet did thank all the Catholics!

Howee

PostPosted: 04/09/18 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, it was EASTER, ferChrissake! Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 04/10/18 3:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

The original post was a link to the twitter page of the male referee who worked the title game. It contained more Roman Catholic verses than the Bible. AND 2 RT's of the ND official accounts the weekend of the Final 4. Muffet did thank all the Catholics!

Do you seriously think that a ref makes calls based on religious affiliation.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/10/18 3:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Isn't is common knowledge Dee Kantner is incompetent? Not sure she needs the calling out lol. The other refs are smart enough not to have a twitter account that is more religious than the Bible? He was the trailer who should have had a birds eye view on Mabrey-Morgan, arguably the most important non call.

Two things:

1. It is a crew and the other refs could have also made the call.

2. If he had the "birds eye view" as you say, maybe he didn't see when others thought they saw on the TV angles. I've actually seen a post online from a neutral poster (A Tennessee fan) that suggested that Mabrey got all ball and that the MSU play was falling into Mabrey while trying to get the ball back. Was that accurate? Not sure. But it wasn't like the game was called with a lot of ticky-tack fouls. There was a very strong "let them play" element to the reffing.

I find it funny that so many people mention the "non-call" in the Championship, but often fail to bring up that the ND-UConn Semis shouldn't have gone to OT in the first place. Nurse's basket after the steal shouldn't have counted. How many steps did she take?

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/10/18 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

Do you seriously think that a ref makes calls based on religious affiliation.

After reading his 8000 tweets, absolutely.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 04/10/18 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jesus, did I say that, well wtf, the freaking NCAA needs to be overhauled. When you have teenagers tweets being vetted, why the heck aren't employees vetted who have the power to change the results of a game. Can I hear a Tim Donaghy.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/10/18 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Officiating is hard under the best of circumstances, basketball especially so. Add in the constant travel and the verbal abuse they get on a nightly basis it's no wonder they have a hard time attracting new and better refs.

PostPosted: 04/10/18 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Give me a break. They are paid to do a job, if they can't do it, hit the road like anyone else. Or get bounced when you are a liability.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/10/18 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Give me a break. They are paid to do a job, if they can't do it, hit the road like anyone else. Or get bounced when you are a liability.

All people make mistakes at work. Until ref-bots are perfected, we're gonna have to live with some bad calls and missed calls.

PostPosted: 04/10/18 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was he retweeting ND before the game? If so, that does seem a little odd.

Doesn't mean the ref did anything shady, but you'd think the NCAA would advise refs not to post on social media making it clear which team they were pulling for.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/10/18 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brinx wrote:
Was he retweeting ND before the game? If so, that does seem a little odd.

Doesn't mean the ref did anything shady, but you'd think the NCAA would advise refs not to post on social media making it clear which team they were pulling for.

RT official ND WBB account on March 30th (Semi Final day) and the ND official athletics twitter picture of "THE SHOT" against Miss State. Northeast based out of NYC, mostly works ACC, AAC, Big East games it seems. Follows ND, UConn, Louisville accounts and their coaches. Does not follow anything Miss State or SEC related.

I'm most troubled by the amount of Roman Catholic themed tweets. You can't prove it affected his calls but there were some questionable calls and reading through all his tweets, it's clear his Roman Catholic faith is a driving force in his life! Conflict of interest at the very least. Quick search of him shows he went to Roman Catholic high school and college. Muffet did thank the Catholics after she won for all you conspiracy theorists! And the game was on...EASTER! Laughing

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 04/10/18 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

All people make mistakes at work. Until ref-bots are perfected, we're gonna have to live with some bad calls and missed calls.

Yep and when they do at that level they are FIRED.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/10/18 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
pilight wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Yep and when they do at that level they are FIRED.

Not really, and especially not in a union environment like the refs have.

PostPosted: 04/10/18 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not a conspiracy theorist. I am also not someone that routinely criticizes referees, and in particular rarely criticizes them for having a direct bias. That said, some of the comments on this thread are troubling. I absolutely do not believe that there was any intentional bias but this type of issue should be reviewed, not just on an individual game basis but as an overall review of his work and social media practice. I believe that unintentional bias, whether in favor of a home team with a loud crowd, a star coach, player or team is prevalent, and it would not shock me if their was some unintentional bias with regard to a deeply held religious belief. That is not an indictment but just an understanding of human nature.

As I was watching the game I noticed a few questionable calls but did not believe that the referees influenced the outcome, so I am not coming at this from any position. But it is never a good thing if such issues are raised, as appearance of unbiased officiating is often as important the officiating itself.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/10/18 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hey pilight- did Nurse travel on her steal and game-tying layup?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: