RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/09/18 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
In terms of UCONN 2018-19, I think their success will depend on the growth and development of two players: Megan Walker and Batouly Camara. Walker showed promise as the top player in her class but was hampered by injury. Camara was solid at Kentucky, but hasn't shown much since joining UCONN. Next year, she should play more of a role, mainly out of necessity. Williams and ONO are great, but I don't think Freshmen truly make a substantial difference (Chennedy Carter is a rarity).

Bullsky, without detracting from your general point that both Walker and Camara need to contribute more, you may have gotten the injured party switched. Camara missed the first part of the season with a knee injury and played the last part with a brace. I don't recall Walker having any significant injuries.

Walker had three AA's and Stevens ahead of her and never garnered enough confidence from Geno to play ahead of any of them. And she wasn't going to play guard ahead of Nurse or Dangerfield; her handle and outside shot aren't good enough for the guard position. She should start now that Williams and Stevens are gone.

Camara certainly could make an impact as a front court sub if she improves.
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/09/18 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Glenn is spot on. All the footage and clips of practices shows Waller with the post group. She never established the simple things Geno wanted. Stevens got on the floor because she was the height she was and could cause some issues at the hoop on offense even though she was a liability defensively.

As Glenn says, Batouly could improve and provide some toughness ie setting big screens and boxing big bodies out.

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/09/18 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
bullsky wrote:
In terms of UCONN 2018-19, I think their success will depend on the growth and development of two players: Megan Walker and Batouly Camara. Walker showed promise as the top player in her class but was hampered by injury. Camara was solid at Kentucky, but hasn't shown much since joining UCONN. Next year, she should play more of a role, mainly out of necessity. Williams and ONO are great, but I don't think Freshmen truly make a substantial difference (Chennedy Carter is a rarity).

Bullsky, without detracting from your general point that both Walker and Camara need to contribute more, you may have gotten the injured party switched. Camara missed the first part of the season with a knee injury and played the last part with a brace. I don't recall Walker having any significant injuries.

Walker had three AA's and Stevens ahead of her and never garnered enough confidence from Geno to play ahead of any of them. And she wasn't going to play guard ahead of Nurse or Dangerfield; her handle and outside shot aren't good enough for the guard position. She should start now that Williams and Stevens are gone.

I thought Walker missed some games with a bum ankle? Maybe I'm wrong.

Agreed all around. It didn't sound like Geno had confidence in much of his bench.

PostPosted: 04/09/18 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
bullsky wrote:

Agreed all around. It didn't sound like Geno had confidence in much of his bench.

He recruits them but doesn't have confidence in them? Maybe because he doesn't train them properly or play them enough? Or what? What am I missing here? If he doesn't have confidence in them, why did he recruit them in the first place....to sit on the bench and look pretty? Rolling Eyes Maybe he needs to work harder with them..... Just a thought.

PostPosted: 04/09/18 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
bullsky wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
bullsky wrote:

He recruits them but doesn't have confidence in them? Maybe because he doesn't train them properly or play them enough? Or what? What am I missing here? If he doesn't have confidence in them, why did he recruit them in the first place....to sit on the bench and look pretty? Rolling Eyes Maybe he needs to work harder with them..... Just a thought.

First of all, just as you don't know someone until you hire them, you don't truly know someone until they actually become apart of your team. Not sure what you're trying to get at, but I think Geno hoped that his bench unit would've developed more than it did. Could be his fault, could be there's, could be both. The bottom line is, Geno mentioned several times that he had hoped that he'd shore up his bench rotation bu the AAC tournament, but it was clear that they weren't going to go deep come tournament time.

PostPosted: 04/09/18 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
bullsky wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
bullsky wrote:

First of all, just as you don't know someone until you hire them, you don't truly know someone until they actually become apart of your team. Not sure what you're trying to get at, but I think Geno hoped that his bench unit would've developed more than it did. Could be his fault, could be there's, could be both. The bottom line is, Geno mentioned several times that he had hoped that he'd shore up his bench rotation bu the AAC tournament, but it was clear that they weren't going to go deep come tournament time.

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen him go deeper than seven or at most eight players, and that’s over 20+ years. I just don’t remember him bitching so much about it so much. Maybe he’s just getting old and cranky.

PostPosted: 04/10/18 5:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An article about a Kentucky neighborhood banning certain breeds of dog, ran with this picture of the 2016 UConn WBB post-championship parade.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/10/18 5:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen him go deeper than seven or at most eight players, and that’s over 20+ years. I just don’t remember him bitching so much about it so much. Maybe he’s just getting old and cranky.

The 1999-2000 team probably had minutes spread around the most:
Sue Bird 28.43243
Svetlana Abrosimova 28.40541
Shea Ralph 28.40541
Kennitra Johnson 22.37838
Swin Cash 20.75676
Kelly Schumacher 18.6129
Asjha Jones 17.55556
Tamika Williams 16.41935
Paige Sauer 11.52941 <- 22 starts, Auriemma bitched about her
Stacey Hansmeyer 10.625

Coaches will go to the bench past 8 players only in desperation. Auriemma is never desperate with his talent. The 1999-2000 team had 6 future WNBA players on it. Maybe 7 if Ralph's knees didn't get so messed up. In the last 20 years he's probably never had less than 4 future WNBA players on a team.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/10/18 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno is a terrific coach so it's hard to second guess him, but....
from the outside, my problem with the not playing the bench is twofold.
1) He played Walker some with the other starters on the floor and she looked ok, if not spectacular. When he played her with the other benchies, she looked terrible (at least in the games I saw). I just thought he might mix in some of the other benchies with the starters some of the time. That would a) give the starters, especially the injured ones, more rest and b) give the benchies a chance to feel what it was like/how to operate surrounded by confident, competent players. Instead he threw them all on the floor together and they looked like a group of frightened children not knowing what to do with half continually looking over at the coach and the others throwing up random shots.

2) timing. Did he really have to wait til they were up by 40 or 50 with two minutes to go to play his benchies? You could see them just playing ratball/trying to get a few shots up ASAP knowing they wouldn't have time on the floor and that they would spend the last minute just holding the ball anyway. Most of the teams they beat up played their benchies more minutes than UConn did! This makes no sense to me. If the benchies are truly so bad they can't play against Wichita State's second team, then they should transfer to poodunk U and Geno can get walk ons to sit on the bench.

- Amanda Gorman
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/10/18 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, some of that is not true. Practice determines whether a player plays for Geno whether you like it or not. Therefore, Geno did not have every player available for every game, no matter what the game. The amount of time you get on the court is also determined by practice. Plus you are exaggerating with the amount of minutes played by the starters. He may have played a player like Kia for example to help with the bench later in the game but that is all as the other starters averaged in the 20s not the 30 s.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/10/18 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

The 1999-2000 team probably had minutes spread around the most:
Sue Bird 28.43243
Svetlana Abrosimova 28.40541
Shea Ralph 28.40541
Kennitra Johnson 22.37838
Swin Cash 20.75676
Kelly Schumacher 18.6129
Asjha Jones 17.55556
Tamika Williams 16.41935
Paige Sauer 11.52941 <- 22 starts, Auriemma bitched about her
Stacey Hansmeyer 10.625

Coaches will go to the bench past 8 players only in desperation. Auriemma is never desperate with his talent. The 1999-2000 team had 6 future WNBA players on it. Maybe 7 if Ralph's knees didn't get so messed up. In the last 20 years he's probably never had less than 4 future WNBA players on a team.

Ralph did have a brief Stint with the Charlotte Sting Or was drafted.

PostPosted: 04/10/18 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Ralph did have a brief Stint with the Charlotte Sting Or was drafted.

Shea Ralph was drafted but never played in the league. She's the only UConn player to fit that description.

PostPosted: 04/10/18 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Christyn Williams was named the MaxPreps POY, and the link below includes a video interview with her.

In classic Herculean task manner, MaxPreps names five All-American teams and 26 Honorable Mention players. ONO is on the Fourth Team.

Of the potential UConn recruits mentioned in this thread (and its 2017-18 ancestor), Haley Jones and Charisma Osborne are on the First Team with Christyn Williams, Aliyah Boston and Azzi Fudd are on the Second, Samantha Brunelle is on the Third, Paige Bueckers is on the Fifth, and Jordan Horston is HM. Hailey Van Lith is unmentioned.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/FKLuGRBRXUevJsqA3D1hVg/2017-18-maxpreps-high-school-girls-basketball-all-american-team.htm
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/10/18 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shameless self-promotion:

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/ocsXD6MQh0-7s2qpv5FELA/maxpreps-2017-18-national-girls-basketball-player-of-the-year--christyn-williams.htm

PostPosted: 04/10/18 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
No, some of that is not true. Practice determines whether a player plays for Geno whether you like it or not. Therefore, Geno did not have every player available for every game, no matter what the game. The amount of time you get on the court is also determined by practice. Plus you are exaggerating with the amount of minutes played by the starters. He may have played a player like Kia for example to help with the bench later in the game but that is all as the other starters averaged in the 20s not the 30 s.

yeah, combined average 29.5 minutes. Laughing add in the Stephens and Walker numbers and it doesn't leave much for anybody else. I still think if the scrubs can't even be trusted enough to play against the second teams of AAC teams then they should transfer.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 04/10/18 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

yeah, combined average 29.5 minutes. Laughing add in the Stephens and Walker numbers and it doesn't leave much for anybody else. I still think if the scrubs can't even be trusted enough to play against the second teams of AAC teams then they should transfer.

LOL. If you would actually look at the season stats for Baylor, Stanford, Louisville and Miss St you'd see that UConn isn't much different in terms of minutes played by their top 7 players and the lack of minutes for the rest of their rosters.

https://static.hailstate.com/custompages/stats/wbk/201718/wbk_stats_201718.pdf

http://gostanford.com/cumestats.aspx?path=wbball

http://hailstate.com/sports/2007/6/26/944291.aspx?path=wbball

http://gocards.com/cumestats.aspx?path=wbball&

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/10/18 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But those teams weren't beating all their opponents by 40-60 points. Pretty different scenarios.

But whatever...if you UConn folks think it's great to have all those bench sitters, and they don't mind bench sitting and never getting better, and you think it doesn't affect your results when they're actually possibly needed, more power to you. IMO it gives the rest of us a wee little reason to hope we can compete with the juggernaut. And lord knows, we could use a little hope!

- Amanda Gorman
tfan

PostPosted: 04/10/18 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Walker looks to be a 3 in terms of height to me (assuming she is not a shooting guard). With UConn she could play anywhere since they have such an advantage in personnel, but to me, she was playing behind Katie Lou Samuelson, and only Katie Lou Samuelson, at the small forward position.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/11/18 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
But those teams weren't beating all their opponents by 40-60 points. Pretty different scenarios.

But whatever...if you UConn folks think it's great to have all those bench sitters, and they don't mind bench sitting and never getting better, and you think it doesn't affect your results when they're actually possibly needed, more power to you. IMO it gives the rest of us a wee little reason to hope we can compete with the juggernaut. And lord knows, we could use a little hope!

Who says they never get better? My god, where do you get these ideas? Oh wait, it must be reading posts here, right? For all the posts this season telling us how Walker didn't get enough minutes, she actually got almost exactly the same minutes as Gabby Williams got in her freshman year and Gabby will graduate as an AA, a three year starter and a 1st round WNBA pick. And I think that we will see Megan Walker play a major role next season.

As far as needing those bench players I direct you to the box scores in the final four. Check out the bench minutes and production of the top teams. Sure, Notre Dame was short but the two other teams played their top 7 players almost exclusively. I think you should start actually watching some UConn games instead of just buying into the UConn negaposts you read here. Personally I don't much care how the bench players feel. Most of them played on teams in high school where there were players who only got in during mop-up minutes. That's the nature of team sports. The best players play. I'm a spectator and I want to be entertained. UConn plays as many (actually more) top level (1-10) teams as most any other team in the country. I'd love for wcbb to have more parity but IMO beating any P5 school in the bottom half of their conferences by 35 isn't much different from beating the E Carolina's of the AAC by 50. A blowout is a blowout. What I do wish is for the truly elite teams to play during their OOC schedule like they do in the final four. Too many coaches accept too much mediocrity during the season.

What I think is great Myrtle is watching a team that values every possession of every game. For me, wcbb is entertainment and I root for a team that has lost 3 games in the last 5 years (all in OT) and has done it with style. I admit that anyone who tunes in hoping UConn loses finds the games frustrating to watch, but for me I'd much rather watch my team dominate with excellence than eke out a 3 or 4 point win due to spotty play.
Are you suggesting that a coach in essence should tell his top players that the better they play the fewer the minutes they will get? Play half assed and keep the game close and you get 30-35 minutes but if you have a 35 point lead 4 minutes before the half you're done for the rest of the game? Tell me how you aren't saying that?

I'll bet you'd love to pay for tickets to a Broadway play and then have the director come out and say that since the stars were so good in the 1st 2 acts they are letting the understudies take over in the 3rd act so they can "get better". LOL

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/11/18 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since we all know that the only important thing in WBB is dunking, here are three videos of Canada's 2019 Laeticia Amihere (@theblackqueen).

At age 15 she was Canada's first in-game dunker.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J2VRCMnDQVo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In this video, which features clips of Kia Nurse, LA says she wants to play college ball in the U.S. and win a championship.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gzxiBR4ElPA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one's a bit silly but so what.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b_lnmqPOXNA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/14/18 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Forward Anriel Howard, the Aggies' leading rebounder this past season, and guard Danni Williams, their second-leading scorer, are planning on visiting the Storrs campus this weekend, according to a pair of sources. The New Haven Register's Jim Fuller confirmed Howard's trip and added she has already visited Florida State and will tentatively travel to Mississippi State, Tennessee and a fifth school to be determined.

Both Howard and Williams are in line to receive their degrees from Texas A&M in three years and would be immediately eligible as graduate transfers for their final season. UConn has not had a graduate transfer.

https://www.sny.tv/uconn/news/potential-texas-am-graduate-transfers-eye-uconn/272034522

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/14/18 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is one of Anriel (lashe5) Howard's tamest self shots on her Instagram site.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/15/18 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno still 0'fer 2019. Time to get moving or lucky or something.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/16/18 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember the rumor that Sam Brunelle, Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd are close and a three-year "package" for Notre Dame.

Fudd, decked out in a ND shirt, was at the ceremony yesterday in which Brunelle announced her choice of Notre Dame.

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 04/16/18 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/16/18 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After a taxing weekend, more catching up with the increasingly strange Samantha Brunelle story from the UConn perspective.

Literally minutes after Brunelle announced her expected commitment to Notre Dame yesterday, the Hartford Courant published a story claiming: "She did not pick the Irish over UConn. Sources familiar with the process indicate that the Huskies did not offer Brunelle a scholarship."

This completely contradicts stories over a year old that UConn had offered Brunelle, such as this one. To me, it also contradicts logic that UConn wouldn't have offered a player who has been at or near #1 in her class for three years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: