RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 04/07/18 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

1) WNBA Fan Page is reporting the re-signing of Tina. Can this be confirmed elsewhere?

If that’s where you get your WNBA news, you can almost always get it quicker here. You can get a lot of entertaining #FakeNews there though.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92607&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=550

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
2) Teaira McCowan did not declare for the draft, correct? Personally if so I think it's the right call. She could use another year to develop her offense.

The Liberty would really have to suck this year for McCowan to be a Liberty topic. Hopefully it will be the Storm that sucks to that level.

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
3) Who do you guys think is the most likely draftee if the Libs stay at 10?

Spooner snatched up Kia Nurse for the Liberty in the Rebkell fantasy mock. #10 is too hard to predict.

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
4) If Piph and Rodgers both stay, how do you all foresee the minutes being split? Perhaps I should add what do you think of their minutes if Boyd is good to go vs. if Boyd isn't good to go. Since I guess Piph/Sugar backcourt combos are still possible in sporadic situations.

Any chance Prince plays point to get the best players all on the court? I believe that’s what she usually plays overseas.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 04/07/18 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charles is listed on the transactions page as being re-signed.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 04/07/18 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find the Liberty's guard situation to be completely bewildering. I'd have made a trade or two to clarify things, but it could well be that the chaos about selling the team precluded any front office moves.

I had great respect for Bill Laimbeer as a coach, but I always disagreed with him about point guards and "lead guards." I felt from the beginning that trying to install Cappie Pondexter as "lead guard" was a serious mistake. And I never liked Laimbeer's continuing effort to find a "lead guard."

For me, it's really valuable to have a point guard who's genuinely a point guard. On our current roster, that's Lindsay Allen. Will she be good enough this season, or ever, to be a starting WNBA point guard? To be a truly valuable starting WNBA point guard? I don't know. Beginning in training camp, I'd give her a real chance to show that she can be.

Even if Brittany Boyd returns at 100% or gets there soon enough, I'm skeptical that she will ever be an effective starting point guard. I see her as having some great skills and some very serious limitations. For me, assuming she's healthy, Boyd might be a backup point guard who can come off the bench and spark the team.

I like Bria Hartley more as an off guard than a point guard. Epiphanny Prince as a point guard again? I really don't want to see that. Sugar Rodgers? No.

So my admittedly unproven, perhaps dubious preferences would lead to Allen as starting point guard, Boyd as the point guard off the bench, and Hartley, Prince, and Rodgers sharing time at #2. Which would be absurd. Can one of these three still be traded for anything worthwhile? I don't know.

So, as I said at the beginning, I find the situation bewildering. But here is a question that intrigues me. How does Katie Smith feel about having a "lead guard" vs. a classic point guard? How does she feel about the guards we have and her current point guard options? We don't know, but soon enough we're going to get our first look at that.

PostPosted: 04/08/18 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So in terms of NYLWNBAFans question about who NY ends up with at #10

My gut feeling agrees that it will be Nared, SF is a big need, and she is the one who I think will still be there at #10.

My runner up gut feeling is Billings.

I think there is a chance Nurse falls to us at #10, but I still think The Sun take her at #9. I agree that Vivians isn't going to be there at #10.

There are also some scenarios where Canada or L. Brown drop to #10. Canada would IMO be the best solution for our PG Situation if we want to go true PG, there are some questions as to whether or not L. Brown is a true PG, but she is close enough and will most likely play some point in the W.

If Russell is there I could see her as the pick as well, but

Now if we do take someone who plays the 3 the 2 or the 1 such as Nared, Nurse, Canada or L. Brown someone below is put out of work because I don't think we will go with 8 on the perimeter

(You can line it up anyway you like for now I still think Hartley will start at the PG spot)

Hartley/Boyd/L. Allen
Prince/Rodgers
Zelous/B. Allen

Now while I agree with the point that L. Allen is our best true PG I also think she and B. Allen are the two players closest to the bubble and it would be one of them who gets waived if we take a perimeter player at #10 (unless we think there is someway that Nared can play small ball 4 and then she could be the replacement for Nayo, lining up at the 3 and the 4, I could also see Ibekwe being used in the same way, in which case we could draft a more traditional guard but either way that guard knocks someone off the roster from last season).

That is one of the reason I could see us going with Billings or Russell, but as I said my gut say we take Nared,

or combine the pick with a player for a trade but that is a different subject.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/08/18 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All it takes is one surprise player selected in the 2-9 range for a "big" name to drop to #10. Then we likely get Nurse, Brown or Canada. Right now, Vadeeva is an odds-on favorite to be that "surprise". Or maybe some team decides to take a real center like Russell (Fred?) or Marie Güllich (Dan?). Or perhaps someone who thinks Canada is too small, and Brown not a real PG, decides to reach for Goodwin.

If we don't get that bigger name, then what? How do we predict when we don't know who is making the decisions? Well, we can look at the training camp signees. Faris is a smart hustle player. Ibekwe is an athletic hustle player. Gray and Alleyne are low post bangers -- albeit not the biggest ones around. So, the common theme seems to be effort rather than skill. It jibes with what Katie Smith has been saying in interviews about the team committing more and working a little harder to get over the hump. She talks about stuff like getting that extra rebound. Personally, I think they need more skill and offensive talent, but that's just me a mere fan. Razz Katie seems more interested in intangibles than flash or athleticism. On the other hand, based on Isiah's NBA picks, he does prefer the flashy or athletic player. So, putting 2+2 together, the player who is likely to be available that has superior athletic ability and gives consistent effort is Billings. She also slots in nicely as a replacement for Nayo. That said, there are so many unknowns that even logic leads to something that's probably not much more than a wild-ass guess. I could see Nared. I could see Russell. I could see Güllich. I could see Atkins. I could see Goodwin. Maybe Mavunga because Katie and Herb are from tOSU. In other words, I'm ready for anything... other than Vadeeva.

PostPosted: 04/08/18 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Billings is also is the easiest to slot in (though the Mavunga tOSU connection did cross my mind and has the same impact on the roster).

Hartley/Boyd/L. Allen
Prince/Rodgers
Zelous/B. Allen
Charles/Zahui B./Billings
Stokes/Vaughn

Then all other draftees (2nd and 3rd rounders) and camp invites fighting to knock someone off to take their spot.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 04/08/18 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
So in terms of NYLWNBAFans question about who NY ends up with at #10

My gut feeling agrees that it will be Nared, SF is a big need, and she is the one who I think will still be there at #10.

My runner up gut feeling is Billings.

I think there is a chance Nurse falls to us at #10, but I still think The Sun take her at #9. I agree that Vivians isn't going to be there at #10.

There are also some scenarios where Canada or L. Brown drop to #10. Canada would IMO be the best solution for our PG Situation if we want to go true PG, there are some questions as to whether or not L. Brown is a true PG, but she is close enough and will most likely play some point in the W.

If Russell is there I could see her as the pick as well, but

Now if we do take someone who plays the 3 the 2 or the 1 such as Nared, Nurse, Canada or L. Brown someone below is put out of work because I don't think we will go with 8 on the perimeter

(You can line it up anyway you like for now I still think Hartley will start at the PG spot)

Hartley/Boyd/L. Allen
Prince/Rodgers
Zelous/B. Allen

Now while I agree with the point that L. Allen is our best true PG I also think she and B. Allen are the two players closest to the bubble and it would be one of them who gets waived if we take a perimeter player at #10 (unless we think there is someway that Nared can play small ball 4 and then she could be the replacement for Nayo, lining up at the 3 and the 4, I could also see Ibekwe being used in the same way, in which case we could draft a more traditional guard but either way that guard knocks someone off the roster from last season).

That is one of the reason I could see us going with Billings or Russell, but as I said my gut say we take Nared,

or combine the pick with a player for a trade but that is a different subject.

this is exactly how i feel. if Canada or Brown drops which i highly doubt, then you snatch them. honestly in my heart i kinda perfer Brown more then Canada because of her size

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/08/18 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
All it takes is one surprise player selected in the 2-9 range for a "big" name to drop to #10. Then we likely get Nurse, Brown or Canada. Right now, Vadeeva is an odds-on favorite to be that "surprise". Or maybe some team decides to take a real center like Russell (Fred?) or Marie Güllich (Dan?). Or perhaps someone who thinks Canada is too small, and Brown not a real PG, decides to reach for Goodwin.

If we don't get that bigger name, then what? How do we predict when we don't know who is making the decisions? Well, we can look at the training camp signees. Faris is a smart hustle player. Ibekwe is an athletic hustle player. Gray and Alleyne are low post bangers -- albeit not the biggest ones around. So, the common theme seems to be effort rather than skill. It jibes with what Katie Smith has been saying in interviews about the team committing more and working a little harder to get over the hump. She talks about stuff like getting that extra rebound. Personally, I think they need more skill and offensive talent, but that's just me a mere fan. Razz Katie seems more interested in intangibles than flash or athleticism. On the other hand, based on Isiah's NBA picks, he does prefer the flashy or athletic player. So, putting 2+2 together, the player who is likely to be available that has superior athletic ability and gives consistent effort is Billings. She also slots in nicely as a replacement for Nayo. That said, there are so many unknowns that even logic leads to something that's probably not much more than a wild-ass guess. I could see Nared. I could see Russell. I could see Güllich. I could see Atkins. I could see Goodwin. Maybe Mavunga because Katie and Herb are from tOSU. In other words, I'm ready for anything... other than Vadeeva.

Once I saw Vadeeva slip to 10 in Megdal’s mock, I watched her and started thinking. She reminds me a lot of Meesseman, which is not the greatest fit on NY with Tina at the 4 spot. However, she’s a name with a reasonable degree of upside even if her athleticism doesn’t wow anyone. So, what if you take her and use her to trade for something more valuable than Nared? She will be a desired commodity even if she slips down to NY, I would think.

PostPosted: 04/08/18 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Once I saw Vadeeva slip to 10 in Megdal’s mock, I watched her and started thinking. She reminds me a lot of Meesseman, which is not the greatest fit on NY with Tina at the 4 spot. However, she’s a name with a reasonable degree of upside even if her athleticism doesn’t wow anyone. So, what if you take her and use her to trade for something more valuable than Nared? She will be a desired commodity even if she slips down to NY, I would think.

Vadeeva is not as athletically fluid as Meesseman, and she doesn't have the 3pt shot. I'm really impressed with what she's accomplished at a young age -- especially last season at 18. However, young players don't always continue to develop as expected. I've pointed out previously how Ji-Su Park made a big splash at 14 but hasn't become the superstar she was projected to be. DeShields debuted on the world stage at 15, but she's still an enigmatic prospect rather than a sure thing at 23. 6-6 Emily Potter of Utah looked like a potential star as a sophomore, but now she's not even in the draft discussion. And while American players like Billings, Nared, Atkins, and Russell are older than Vadeeva, they may actually have more upside because their superior athletic ability gives them more room to grow.

As for putting up numbers, we've seen with Zahui B and Gruda that compiling pretty statistics in the Russian League is no guarantee of success in the WNBA. In fact, last season Emma Cannon led the Russian league in scoring and averaged a double-double. And I wonder how much of Vadeeva's success is because defenses are focused on her teammates (Angel, Nneka, Piph, Petrovic), which allows Maria to sneak around playing assassin. So while I like Vadeeva, I'm curbing my enthusiasm. Add in the questions about her availability, and I'm not sure what her trade value would be. It's notable that none of the people in those WNBA.com interviews -- Laimbeer, Stocks, Pokey, Lobo or LaChina -- seem to have any insight into what Vadeeva will do. Given those circumstances, I'd rather have the bird in hand. However, if you could find a trade before the draft started, then that would be a different story.

PostPosted: 04/09/18 3:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to clarify, I see her more as the rookie version of EM with the less developed 3 point shot and footwork. I really like her passing and understanding of the game...remarkable at such a young age. I’d figure Vivians isn’t getting past Indiana and Nurse isn’t getting past Connecticut.

It would be easier to know what’s what if we had any inkling what the Libs’ offensive philosophy will be.

PostPosted: 04/09/18 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoping we get an official announcement of Charles re-signing today. Just wondering if it's just a one year deal or a multi-year deal.

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 04/09/18 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina Charles now no longer listed on the wnba tranactions page as having re-signed?

Shades

PostPosted: 04/09/18 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threadkiller1201 wrote:
Tina Charles now no longer listed on the wnba tranactions page as having re-signed?

Oh oh.... draft day trade coming?

Charles for Langhorne and #5?

Let’s get Spooner to work on this.

sigur3

PostPosted: 04/09/18 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threadkiller1201 wrote:

This happens all the time with the transactions page. It's a problem with the website.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/09/18 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
threadkiller1201 wrote:

This happens all the time with the transactions page. It's a problem with the website.

Or is it........... Cool

PostPosted: 04/09/18 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina To LV for #1 & Kelsey Plum !

PostPosted: 04/09/18 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Tina Charles transaction of re-signing has been removed.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/09/18 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't imagine that Charles has demanded a trade you all are making me crazy. I mean yes she demanded one to come to NY but that makes the idea even crazier.

I could see her only wanting to sign a 1 year deal to avoid the possibility of NY folding and her being sent somewhere beyond her control in a dispersal draft. If the team does exist next year, (hopefully in NY under exciting new management and playing at Barclays) they can still core her so it is not like agree to the 1 year deal hurts NY in anyway.

I also don't think she would sit out, though it is possible, but she donates her WNBA salary to charity and I don't think she would want to deprive her charity by sitting out.

Yes if she is demanding a trade hopefully it would be to Vegas and NY's bottom line should be either the #1 pick this year and Vegas' first round pick next year or truly bottom line #1 this year and Jefferson. But I don't think this is happening.

Tina will be in NY this year.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/09/18 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I can't imagine that Charles has demanded a trade you all are making me crazy. I mean yes she demanded one to come to NY but that makes the idea even crazier.

I could see her only wanting to sign a 1 year deal to avoid the possibility of NY folding and her being sent somewhere beyond her control in a dispersal draft. If the team does exist next year, (hopefully in NY under exciting new management and playing at Barclays) they can still core her so it is not like agree to the 1 year deal hurts NY in anyway.

I also don't think she would sit out, though it is possible, but she donates her WNBA salary to charity and I don't think she would want to deprive her charity by sitting out.

Yes if she is demanding a trade hopefully it would be to Vegas and NY's bottom line should be either the #1 pick this year and Vegas' first round pick next year or truly bottom line #1 this year and Jefferson. But I don't think this is happening.

They would have announced the signing of the teams most important player by now dont you think ?

PostPosted: 04/09/18 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

They would have announced the signing of the teams most important player by now dont you think ?

Not if it hasn't technically happened.

It is a little out of the ordinary but there also hasn't been any leaked info to lead to the assumption she has demanded a trade or threatened to sit out. Even though I don't like the rule she is cored and can't play anywhere else unless the team agrees to trade her. It is conceivable that there is going to be trade related to draft night, but it seems just as conceivable (to me at least) that the website posted it too early or is simply having a glitch and there will be an announcement in the coming days.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/09/18 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Not if it hasn't technically happened.

It is a little out of the ordinary but there also hasn't been any leaked info to lead to the assumption she has demanded a trade or threatened to sit out. Even though I don't like the rule she is cored and can't play anywhere else unless the team agrees to trade her. It is conceivable that there is going to be trade related to draft night, but it seems just as conceivable (to me at least) that the website posted it too early or is simply having a glitch and there will be an announcement in the coming days.

Lets hope that it was a glitch , history says when a big player holds out on re-signing . Either a Sit out or Trade is somewhere near .

PostPosted: 04/09/18 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Tina To LV for #1 & Kelsey Plum !

stop it lmao Laughing Laughing

you know.....i follow Bria Hartley on instagram, if you havn't followed her yet you should. She is beautiful and have a beautiful baby boy. Anyway while i was checking out her pics she posted a new "Storm X-Men" look of her hair, she looks good. one of her 1st comments was future #1 pick Ms Aja Wilson. Listen, my guess its nothing but just wanted to bring it up cuz it popped into my head lol

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/09/18 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://highposthoops.com/2018/04/06/new-york-liberty-re-sign-tina-charles/

Quote:
It was only a matter of time. High Post Hoops was able to confirm Friday evening that the New York Liberty have re-signed 2012 WNBA MVP and eight-time All-WNBA selection Tina Charles.

So seems , "High Posts Hoops" were lying ? Shocked

PostPosted: 04/09/18 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
https://highposthoops.com/2018/04/06/new-york-liberty-re-sign-tina-charles/

Quote:
It was only a matter of time. High Post Hoops was able to confirm Friday evening that the New York Liberty have re-signed 2012 WNBA MVP and eight-time All-WNBA selection Tina Charles.

So seems , "High Posts Hoops" were lying ? Shocked

They probably confirmed it the same way we did, through the transaction page.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/09/18 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Spooner, Charles has played 8 years. That’s 8 years that are gone and used up. How many years has Wilson got left?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 37 of 90

Jump to: