RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Notre Dame 2018-19
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/06/18 11:00 am    ::: Notre Dame 2018-19 Reply Reply with quote

Assume all the injured are healthy and all the recruits show up.

Who starts?
What's the depth chart at each position?
Is this the best Irish team ever?
Shades

PostPosted: 04/06/18 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They should probably keep Mabrey at PG because in Miller fashion they seemed to have stumbled onto something that works. The loss of Lili Thompson was definitely addition by subtraction, not coaching genius. I dunno if it’s because Mabrey’s arm is like a ghost’s, but the refs don’t make half the calls that she earns. That’s a distinct advantage that they should continue to utilize to the fullest.

Looking something like this:

Mabrey/
Ogunbowale/
Young/
Shepard/
Turner/

And then we’ll have to wait to see how many no-wait transfers they get.
Oh, the luck of the Irish ☘️

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/06/18 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
They should probably keep Mabrey at PG because in Miller fashion they seemed to have stumbled onto something that works. The loss of Lili Thompson was definitely addition by subtraction, not coaching genius. I dunno if it’s because Mabrey’s arm is like a ghost’s, but the refs don’t make half the calls that she earns. That’s a distinct advantage that they should continue to utilize to the fullest.

Mabrey/
Ogunbowale/
Young/
Shepard/
Turner/

Angry much ? Laughing

PostPosted: 04/06/18 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well considering it was Young who took on the load when it counted and did Mabrey even play, can't remember her, oh other than the punk ass plays. Laughing

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 04/06/18 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Mabrey/
Ogunbowale/
Young/
Shepard/
Turner/

Angry much ? Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Just a tad bit. I love it though

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/06/18 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Samantha Brunelle college choice
Shades

PostPosted: 04/06/18 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s less about being angry and more about keeping it real.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/06/18 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I won't argue with Shades' starting lineup or evaluation of Mabrey's effectiveness. I actually think Mabrey is sort of a middle class man's Sabrina Ionescu, who I further think is somewhat overhyped except as to her shooting.
Shades

PostPosted: 04/06/18 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I won't argue with Shades' starting lineup or evaluation of Mabrey's effectiveness. I actually think Mabrey is sort of a middle class man's Sabrina Ionescu, who I further think is somewhat overhyped except as to her shooting.

They’re nothing alike. Mabrey has one career triple double off the bench in her freshman year against high school level team Valparaiso that ND beat up on. She got the triple off of steals instead of rebounds.

Mabrey’s career high rebounds is only 7 and that was just recently. Not a great rebounder. Ionescu is more athletic and a much scrappier rebounder and a more natural playmaker.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/06/18 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On a more serious answer (without the snide transferring comments. Geez, last year was the first year ND took transfers of ANY kind in the sport):

Starters:
Mabrey
Ogunbowale
Young
Shepard
Turner

First off the bench is likely Vaughn (6'3" Post, she averaged 8.0 ppg and 4.3 ppg and had 7 blocks in the first 6 games of the season. She was injured early enough that she didn't lose eligibility).

I'm not sure about Patterson, yet. She's a 6'2" Forward who will also be a sophomore. She wasn't quite ready to play as a freshman (as the saying goes, the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores), but after a year and an offseason, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets more playing time and plays much better. She's very athletic. She just had a bit of the "lost freshman" look about her at times, which is understandable since she actually was a freshman.

ND will also have a freshman F/P Danielle Cosgrove.

The backups at guard are going to all be freshmen, but with the three starters, they'll be able to ease them in according to their readiness and abilities.

Basically, ND will have PG Jordan Nixon, combo guard, and SG Abby Prohaska. Nixon and Gilbert were McDonald's AAs.

So a lot of ND's depth will be determined by how quickly freshmen adapt.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/08/18 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If ND gets 2019's Samantha Brunelle, as is now widely expected in some quarters, I've read that she will be ND's first #1 ranked recruit since Michelle Marciniak in 1991. Is that true?
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/08/18 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
If ND gets 2019's Samantha Brunelle, as is now widely expected in some quarters, I've read that she will be ND's first #1 ranked recruit since Michelle Marciniak in 1991. Is that true?

Yes, Michelle was Notre Dame's only #1 recruit and she left after a single season. While Brianna Turner was ranked #1 by a couple ratings services, A'ja Wilson had a higher average rating. Diggins was rated third behind Griner and Bone.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/18 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It’s less about being angry and more about keeping it real.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

At least you've kept your sense of humor.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/18 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nm

Sorry, misread Chris's post.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 04/08/18 11:48 am; edited 2 times in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/18 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Yes, Michelle was Notre Dame's only #1 recruit and she left after a single season. While Brianna Turner was ranked #1 by a couple ratings services, A'ja Wilson had a higher average rating. Diggins was rated third behind Griner and Bone.

Who was doing women's basketball recruiting rankings in 1991?

She won some POY awards, but that's not the same thing as #1 rated recruit, as we can see even in current years.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/18 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think there's much question about next year's ND starting five. Turner will replace Westbeld.

Patterson and Vaughn will play a lot off the bench, and one or more of the freshmen guards will likely get minutes in relief at guard. No way to tell yet which freshmen will step up.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/08/18 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Who was doing women's basketball recruiting rankings in 1991?

She won some POY awards, but that's not the same thing as #1 rated recruit, as we can see even in current years.

Mike Flynn, but I doubt his rankings of that vintage are available.

Spindarella won the majority of POY awards in 1991, so it's inferable she was the consensus #1. Here's an article about her from the SI Vault:

She's the Ponytailed Princess of Hoop

Quote:
By most accounts, the Notre Dame-bound guard is the top scholastic female basketball player in the country . . . .

Quote:
In the summer of 1989 she became the youngest basketball player in the history of the [U.S. Olympic] festival when she made the East squad as a 15-year-old.

Quote:
Marciniak's surprising announcement last autumn that she would attend Notre Dame, which recently crept into the Top 25 in women's basketball for the first time ever, ended one of the keenest recruiting battles in the history of girls' scholastic sports. Consider: There are few athletes so highly coveted that a very prominent and very pregnant coach would continue a recruiting visit after her water had broken. Such was the case when Tennessee's Pat Summitt came to Macungie on Sept. 20 (SI, Nov. 19, 1990).

Quote:
But she surprised everyone, her parents and Irish coach Muffet McGraw included, when she chose Notre Dame. She hadn't even visited the campus when she made her verbal commitment. "Frankly, I never thought we had a shot," says McGraw.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/18 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

POY awards are based on best HS player. Recruiting rankings are based on college potential. They frequently don't match. They are recognizing different things based on different criteria. Sometimes it's the same person, sometimes it's not.

Just ask Clay about the MaxPrep HS POY award going to Ali Patberg.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/09/18 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
POY awards are based on best HS player. Recruiting rankings are based on college potential. They frequently don't match. They are recognizing different things based on different criteria. Sometimes it's the same person, sometimes it's not.

People still remember that one, wondering how could I possible pick Patberg over KLS -- but Patberg had a better senior high school season than Samuelson. The tiebreaker was the state playoffs, during which KLS struggled a bit and Mater Dei lost in the semis (as I recall). Patberg scored 38 in the championship game, I think, and pretty much won the state title with that effort.

I hope she's healthy now, and has a good career at Indiana ...

PostPosted: 04/09/18 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

People still remember that one, wondering how could I possible pick Patberg over KLS -- but Patberg had a better senior high school season than Samuelson. The tiebreaker was the state playoffs, during which KLS struggled a bit and Mater Dei lost in the semis (as I recall). Patberg scored 38 in the championship game, I think, and pretty much won the state title with that effort.

I hope she's healthy now, and has a good career at Indiana ...

I wish Ali well, too, but I wish she were still at Notre Dame. Sad

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 04/09/18 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Mabrey/
Ogunbowale/
Young/
Shepard/
Turner/

Yes keep her there I love me some turnovers.

Oh wait you don't want to hear about he nice little gift the NCAA gave you, how a bout we didnt want to hear the constant whining. Quid pro quo. (that part wasn't for you Shades Wink

Clay, they are contrary, they wouldn't even be calling you out if she had not transferred out, don't bother.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/09/18 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clay has made clear over the years that, for the MaxPreps POY, he's looking mainly at contributions in high school and not at college potential, although those categories probably inevitably intersect, more or less, each year. However, I'm not sure the other organizations that award POY's have the same emphasis, because they don't usually publish their criteria.

In any event, I think all the rankers and POY-awarders missed the Chennedy Carter boat last season, because they all gave their top rankings and POY's to Megan Walker or Evina Westbrook. Carter immediately showed them all up in the post-season All-American games and in USAB play, and of course dominated as a college freshman. Was she on some invisible team in high school?
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/09/18 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Clay has made clear over the years that, for the MaxPreps POY, he's looking mainly at contributions in high school and not at college potential, although those categories probably inevitably intersect, more or less, each year. However, I'm not sure the other organizations that award POY's have the same emphasis, because they don't usually publish their criteria.

In any event, I think all the rankers and POY-awarders missed the Chennedy Carter boat last season, because they all gave their top rankings and POY's to Megan Walker or Evina Westbrook. Carter immediately showed them all up in the post-season All-American games and in USAB play, and of course dominated as a college freshman. Was she on some invisible team in high school?

Maybe because she went to Mansfield instead of Duncanville high ala Tamkia Catchings U.

PostPosted: 04/09/18 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Clay, they are contrary, they wouldn't even be calling you out if she had not transferred out, don't bother.

As usual, you're completely full of it.

Nobody's calling out Clay. Quite the contrary, he is a perfect example of someone who actually makes those choices demonstrating that POY and #1 recruit are different things, based on different criteria, and can easily produce different results.

But I guess to some people trolling is more fun than actually reading.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 04/09/18 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WAH WAH WAH just like your coach, oh wait is that you Muffet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: