RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Unwritten Rules

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/04/18 6:49 pm    ::: Unwritten Rules Reply Reply with quote

We don't have a set of written rules here that govern behaviour.
If we did though, they might go a little something like this:

1. Show some common decency to others.
We're a community, and we're discussing a sport that we all love. So show at least a basic level of decency to others in the community, and the people who play, coach, administer, referee, etc. the sport we are all here for.
(If this rule existed, it would rarely need enforcing, as this place is pretty good in this regard)

2. Don't throw personal insults at other posters.
If this was a rule then people would occasionally need to be reminded of it, as it seems some people can't disagree without taking it to a personal level.

3. Disagreements are not a bad thing.
This place runs on perceptions and opinions, not just plain facts. Everyone is welcome to an opinion, even if it is unpopular, as long as they can express it without contravening the other hypothetical rules. I'm yet to see anyone who is right all the time. Being in disagreement with other posters, with a journalist, with a coach, with a referee, with a GM, with the president of the WNBA, with the Dalai Lama, does not invalidate your opinion. It'd be pretty boring if there was only one right opinion to have about a subject.

4. Don't be a dick.
If you can't state an opinion without taking little [not nearly as subliminal as you think you are being] jabs at other people, then it's best for everyone that you leave that opinion unstated.

5. The health of the forum is more important than any one individual.
If there were written rules, that is why they would exist.

The above is just my brief take on things at this moment in time, but it's probably worth noting because my tolerance levels for bullshit are lowering in light of the recent squabbling.

Last edited by Luuuc on 06/01/18 9:13 am; edited 3 times in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/04/18 6:52 pm    ::: Re: Unwritten Rules Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
We don't have a set of written rules here that govern behaviour.
If we did though, they might go a little something like this:

1. Show some common decency to others.
We're a community, and we're discussing a sport that we all love. So show at least a basic level of decency to others in the community, and the people who play, coach, administer, referee, etc. the sport we are all here for.
(If this rule existed, it would rarely need enforcing, as this place is pretty good in this regard)

2. Don't throw personal insults at other posters.
If this was a rule then people would occasionally need to be reminded of it, as it seems some people can't disagree without taking it to a personal level.

3. Disagreements are not a bad thing.
This place runs on perceptions and opinions, not just plain facts. Everyone is welcome to an opinion, even if it is unpopular, as long as they can express it without contravening the other hypothetical rules. I'm yet to see anyone who is right all the time. Being in disagreement with other posters, with a journalist, with a coach, with a referee, with a GM, with the president of the WNBA, with the Dalai Lama, does not invalidate your opinion. It'd be pretty boring if there was only one right opinion to have about a subject.

4. Don't be a dick.
If you can't state an opinion without taking little [not nearly as subliminal as you think you are being] jabs at other people, then it's best for everyone that you leave that opinion unstated.

5. The health of the forum is more important than any one individual.
If there were written rules, that is why they would exist.

This should be the Golden Rule ! Nice outline Luuc

PostPosted: 04/05/18 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why don't we have written rules?

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/05/18 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Don't be a dick!

j/k

PostPosted: 04/05/18 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Why can't we just keep telepathically implanting them into you guys like we always have?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/05/18 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:

Why can't we just keep telepathically implanting them into you guys like we always have?

It doesn't seem to be working. This same problem keeps cropping up. Do I need to resend the draft of potential written rules I sent the last time this debate came up?

PostPosted: 04/05/18 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:

It doesn't seem to be working. This same problem keeps cropping up. Do I need to resend the draft of potential written rules I sent the last time this debate came up?

No. You've won me over.

Luuuc, why can't you just put something down in writing, mate? Nobody's getting all this bwalla-bwalla and gourd thumping from down under. Just WRITE IT DOWN already. We can't go on like this with nothing ever being put into words and sentences that people can actually read.

Is it a lack of writing instruments and stationary that bedevils you? What then?

sigur3

PostPosted: 04/05/18 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But doesn't this technically make them written?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/05/18 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

Ring-a-Ding-Ding.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/05/18 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

Well, no, it says right at the top we don't have written rules. This is the board rules version of OJ's "If I Did It".

PostPosted: 04/05/18 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plus, technically they were typed, not written.

PostPosted: 04/05/18 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

Well, no, it says right at the top we don't have written rules. This is the board rules version of OJ's "If I Did It".

You know I love you, pilight. But on those rare occasions when you show that you're as crazy as I am, I love you even more. Cool

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/06/18 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

Okay, this cracked me up something serious. I laughed for a good minute. Today was a pretty stressful day for me and I needed that. Thank you! Laughing

PostPosted: 04/06/18 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Somehow these rules remind me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GMkuPiIZ2k

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/08/18 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:

No. You've won me over.

Luuuc, why can't you just put something down in writing, mate? Nobody's getting all this bwalla-bwalla and gourd thumping from down under. Just WRITE IT DOWN already. We can't go on like this with nothing ever being put into words and sentences that people can actually read.

Is it a lack of writing instruments and stationary that bedevils you? What then?

I was taught in school all those Aussies are fresh off the convict boats from England. What can you expect?

- Amanda Gorman
willtalk

PostPosted: 04/12/18 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I was taught in school all those Aussies are fresh off the convict boats from England. What can you expect?

I guess the difference between the people who ended up in Australia and people who went to the USA was that those that ended up in Australia were the ones that were caught.

Force10rulz

PostPosted: 04/17/18 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I for glad we don’t have racist mascots and names. I can’t tell you how much I hate Washington r******s name. Having to battle against that name on Twitter just drains us as Indigenous people. Kudos to the WNBA for having class. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: