RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/04/18 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:
https://theraiderland.com/the-texas-tech-lady-raider-search-rolls-on-latest-names-to-emerge/

How far down on the “available” list will Texas Tech have to go to find a coach?

At this rate they might have to consider some women...

So are what they are saying is that they approached the assistant coaches of UCONN and Notre Dame and ALL these women said no to the job. I bet if they did they offered them some peanuts lowball salary Evil or Very Mad

Just because they were assistant coaches at top programs doesn't mean they will make good head coaches. The list of failures is, quite honestly, too lengthy to list but just take a look at Cincinnati and Penn State for starters. The head coaching highway is littered with former top assistant coaches that flamed out as head coaches, male and female alike.

There are some success stories also. Three of the Final Four coaches were major conference assistants before landing their current jobs.

PostPosted: 04/04/18 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:
https://theraiderland.com/the-texas-tech-lady-raider-search-rolls-on-latest-names-to-emerge/

How far down on the “available” list will Texas Tech have to go to find a coach?

So are what they are saying is that they approached the assistant coaches of UCONN and Notre Dame and ALL these women said no to the job. I bet if they did they offered them some peanuts lowball salary Evil or Very Mad

Just because they were assistant coaches at top programs doesn't mean they will make good head coaches. The list of failures is, quite honestly, too lengthy to list but just take a look at Cincinnati and Penn State for starters. The head coaching highway is littered with former top assistant coaches that flamed out as head coaches, male and female alike.

There are some success stories also. Three of the Final Four coaches were major conference assistants before landing their current jobs.

Absolutely. Those were the 3 males right? Just kidding since gender was suddenly brought into this conversation. Course, UConn isn't even in a major conference any more so do they even count? And before everyone gets all put off, just kidding about UConn as well. I mean, clearly they are more of a "major" than just about every team in the Power 5, Big East and A-10.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/04/18 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Give the women the opportunity to sink or swim. They cannot find out what they can do if you don't give them the opportunity.

PostPosted: 04/04/18 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yolett McPhee-McCuin to Ole Miss.

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/040418aaa.html

petrel

PostPosted: 04/04/18 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:

So Jacksonville is now open, obviously. Very Happy

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/04/18 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Give the women the opportunity to sink or swim. They cannot find out what they can do if you don't give them the opportunity.

Absolutely. Carol Owens didn't do so well as a HC at her alma mater, Northern Illinois, where she was enshrined in their Hall of Fame. Beth Cunningham had a decent run at VCU, but was ultimately let go after 11 years. Niele Ivey has not been a HC yet as far as I know.

Chris Dailey is not leaving UConn. Shea Ralph and Marisa Moseley have not been HC's yet.

Do you really think if the AD at a school like Texas Tech got a call from Geno or Muffet saying one of their assistant coaches would be interested in the head coaching job that they wouldn't listen?

rebel_hydr_1914

PostPosted: 04/04/18 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

petrel wrote:
~UK~ wrote:

So Jacksonville is now open, obviously. Very Happy

Beat me to the punch posting this one. I'm pretty happy about this hire. I'm interested to see how it works out.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/04/18 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

I am not sure why anyone who thought she had other good options would take the job at Texas Tech. It doesn't have a lot of positives.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/04/18 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

I am not sure why anyone who thought she had other good options would take the job at Texas Tech. It doesn't have a lot of positives.

Right now it doesn't. It's been pretty well beat down, but it could rise again. Programs can be rebuilt by the right person.

PostPosted: 04/04/18 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm from the old school where money talks and bullsh** walks. Schaefer did not leave Texas A&M for a rock bottom salary.

PostPosted: 04/05/18 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being posted at Suzie McConnell-Serio got the hook after five years at Pittsburgh. 67-87 record in five years, 22-58 in ACC, only one post-season appearance (NCAA 2015).

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/05/18 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Niele Ivey has not been a HC yet as far as I know.

Niele Ivey was a finalist for the Vanderbilt job (along with Princeton HC Courtney Banghart) back in 2016. Vanderbilt ended up hiring Stephanie White.

Ivey may not yet have been a head coach, but is it possible she is the "coach in waiting" at Notre Dame? Muffet McGraw will be 63 years old in December. If Muffet decides that she only wants to coach for 5 more years, would Notre Dame immediately elevate Ivey from Associate Head Coach to Head Coach, given her status as a former player, a stellar recruiter, and a longtime Associate Head Coach?

On the other hand, there were a number of people at Duke who would love Ivey to take over for Joanne P. McCallie, should Coach P not have her contract renewed (which was recently extended through 2020-21). And I think Ivey could be the coach who can recruit at an academic institution like Duke (she is already doing it at Notre Dame) and return Duke to the heyday of the Goestenkors era.

But why would Ivey want to take a head job at a conference rival (I use the term "rival" to mean another team in the ACC, as Notre Dame's dominance of Duke does not lend itself much to a rivalry), when she might become the head coach at her alma mater? And why would Ivey want the Duke job, unless Muffet McGraw plans to coach for another decade and Ivey wants to prove her head coaching chops at another school (maybe before coming back and taking over for Muffet)?

In any event, given Ivey's reputation as a stellar recruiter, her relationships that she builds with the Notre Dame players, her ability to recruit at a high-level academic institution, her Xs and Os abilities (and knowledge of the game as a playmaker) and her age (she just turned 40), she is going to be in high demand for any school that is a looking for the "next big thing" in WCBB coaches.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/18 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

petrel wrote:
Being posted at Suzie McConnell-Serio got the hook after five years at Pittsburgh. 67-87 record in five years, 22-58 in ACC, only one post-season appearance (NCAA 2015).

She is a good coach and needs to get out of the ACC. Right now Pitt is a sink and I'm not sure who they need or what needs to be done. Suzie might need a breather at a good mid, or some other conference entirely.

Someone mentioned on Twitter last night that BU was interested in Felisha Leggette-Jack. IMNSHO they can be interested all they want, but why in the everlasting hell she would want to go there would be beyond me.

Last edited by summertime blues on 04/05/18 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 04/05/18 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't imagine Ivey wants to wait five more years to be a head coach. She's already eight years older than McGraw was when she took the Notre Dame job.

Duke is a long way from her midwestern recruiting connections. She might be better off going to Pitt, especially if she's just getting her feet wet before returning to ND.

PostPosted: 04/05/18 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I can't imagine Ivey wants to wait five more years to be a head coach. She's already eight years older than McGraw was when she took the Notre Dame job.

It was also a different era. Muffet took over as a high school coach immediately after graduating from college. Ivey played in the WNBA for five seasons before being an administrative assistant at Xavier under (former McGraw assistant) Kevin McGuff.

Again, this is also assuming she wants to be a head coach at some place other than Notre Dame, should Muffet McGraw continue to coach for several years.

Also, Ivey's son is 15 years old. Perhaps she does not want to uproot him from his high school. When she was a finalist at Vanderbilt, her son was in 7th grade. If she does want to be a head coach, perhaps she waits until after he graduates.

pilight wrote:
Duke is a long way from her midwestern recruiting connections. She might be better off going to Pitt, especially if she's just getting her feet wet before returning to ND.

Except if Ivey is used to recruiting at an elite academic institution and using that as a integral component of her recruiting pitch, Pitt is not of the same caliber as Notre Dame.

I had a similar discussion with one of fellow Duke MBB insiders about Jeff Capel taking the Pitt men's job (and, in my opinion, why Xavier was a better job). Gail Goestenors struggled at Texas with recruiting, by not having the elite Duke academics and small student/faculty ratio as part of the sales pitch (to say nothing of how Chris Plonsky all but sabotaged in-state recruiting with her statements about Clarissa Davis-Wrightstil, who, in turn, made sure that Texas paid for those comments and that in-state recruiting would suffer under Conradt's replacement...but that is another story).

Also, why is Pitt an attractive job to Ivey (other than geography) when it is a program that has only made 4 NCAA Tournament appearances in the 38-year history of the NCAAT? And would Ivey really want to compete at a conference "rival" with Notre Dame?

Frankly, if you want Midwest recruiting roots, a good academic reputation (engineering and pharmacy are top ten programs), and a much stro0nger tradition of women's basketball, Purdue is a much better job than Pitt (though not sure if Ivey would take over an in-state rival).

LitePal

PostPosted: 04/05/18 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mickie DeMoss leaves asst. coaching spot at LSU. I thought she was associate head coach, but whatever. I think this will definitely hurt the program.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/05/18 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Mickie DeMoss leaves asst. coaching spot at LSU. I thought she was associate head coach, but whatever. I think this will definitely hurt the program.

Bring Mickie back to UT . Fyreeee Holly Laughing

PostPosted: 04/05/18 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Unless she gets a really good offer for a very good program, she might want to wait 2 more years, though. Her son is still in high school. Once he gets to college, she won't have to worry about the stress of a new school for him, etc.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/05/18 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Frankly, if you want Midwest recruiting roots, a good academic reputation (engineering and pharmacy are top ten programs), and a much stro0nger tradition of women's basketball, Purdue is a much better job than Pitt (though not sure if Ivey would take over an in-state rival).

"Rival" only that they are both in the same state. Versyp took Notre Dame of the schedule and has refused to play them for the last several years.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/05/18 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:
Ashland's Robyn Fralick takes Bowling Green job

http://bgsufalcons.com/news/2018/4/3/robyn-fralick-named-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

Seems like a pretty good hire. I noticed in the article that the NCAA D-II player of the year was only a sophomore at her previous school. I wonder if we will hear of a new transfer in a couple of weeks.

The MAC could be very interesting to watch in the coming years. Between the 3 who did well this year in the NCAAs to Duffy at Miami to the new coach at BG, it looks like the conference is on the upswing.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/05/18 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Interesting. I wonder what her plans are. She's said before that she doesn't want to become a HC again, and she's now 62 or thereabouts. The rumor mill on VN says Holly is about to be offered a 3-year contract extension (current contract runs through 18-19).

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/05/18 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Interesting. I wonder what her plans are. She's said before that she doesn't want to become a HC again, and she's now 62 or thereabouts. The rumor mill on VN says Holly is about to be offered a 3-year contract extension (current contract runs through 18-19).

Just throw the whole program away Exclamation

PostPosted: 04/05/18 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Just throw the whole program away Exclamation

I'm wondering if 4 years of relative job security for Holly would inspire a change in AC's. Having Mickie's X&O abilities on the bench would be a great addition to the staff.

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/05/18 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But who goes? Reaves and Gordon are great recruiters.

Is Dean ready to become a head coach somewhere else? PITT? Shocked

Unless Banghart wants to wait out Alarie's career, right now she has some good options if Virginia or Pitt show interest.

Any rumors on Virginia job, speaking of? Have to think they are talking to Tonya Cardoza and Courtney Banghart? What if they pry Gottlieb back to the East?

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 04/05/18 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/wbballhoopscoop/status/982045329301409794

There is a lot of chatter on the Lobo Lair board including a couple links, about the Texas tech job. Possible announcement tomorrow. Bradbury, Stollings, Gravina, and baker are the names being mentioned.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 6 of 34

Jump to: