RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dan Olson: Top Prospect in HS Basketball is a Freshman!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/26/18 10:02 pm    ::: Dan Olson: Top Prospect in HS Basketball is a Freshman! Reply Reply with quote

Dan Olson reveals his top 10 prospects in girl's high school basketball regardless of class -- "prospect" meaning the player with the most potential to have the best college career. A freshman is #1.
Shades

PostPosted: 01/27/18 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Bueckers? I guess she should stay home in Minnesota.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 01/27/18 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good list ...

Dan does his homework -- he's everywhere. He was in Stockton a couple weeks ago watching eight games in one day, and only a few of them had top 100 talent.

His only flaw is that he's a big Yankees' fan.

PostPosted: 01/27/18 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fudd will be a transcendent player.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/27/18 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Azzi Fudd is the daughter of the great Katie Smrcka-Duffy and is named after the even greater Jennifer Azzi. Her dog, Curry, is named after some NBA stiff.

WaPo: ‘She does everything’: Freshman is already one of nation’s top high school recruits

Quote:
Her first scholarship offer came from Maryland when she was in sixth grade, and the 5-foot-11 guard has since been recruited by a large handful of power conference programs, including Stanford, Tennessee and Connecticut, whose legendary Coach Geno Auriemma stopped in to see her work out this past fall on an otherwise normal day at St. John’s in Northwest Washington.

“What do you think it was like?” she asked, smiling at her own sarcasm. “I was so nervous.”

Well, did it show?

“No,” she shot back, smiling even wider. “I crushed it that day.”
tfan

PostPosted: 01/27/18 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe her grades are good enough and her mother talks her into attending Stanford since she is named after Azzi. Otherwise, I see another top recruit for UConn.

Last edited by tfan on 01/28/18 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/27/18 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Good list ...

Dan does his homework -- he's everywhere. He was in Stockton a couple weeks ago watching eight games in one day, and only a few of them had top 100 talent.

His only flaw is that he's a big Yankees' fan.

Dan is very good. He is in the NY/NJ area right now watching a bunch of games. He watches games year round all over the country.

And yes, he is a huge Yanks fan.

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 02/10/18 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Maybe her grades are good enough and her mother talks her into attending Stanford since she is named after Azzi. Otherwise, I see another top recruit for UConn.

Yep. Bueckers and Brunelle as well.

When Geno really wants a player he usually gets that player and he wants those players badly. He’s seen Bueckers play like 3 times already..

Shades

PostPosted: 02/10/18 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sophomore guard Paige Bueckers drives high expectations for Hopkins

http://www.startribune.com/sophomore-guard-paige-bueckers-drives-high-expectations-for-hopkins/461965303/

Quote:
Geno Auriemma has become a familiar face at Hopkins High School's Lindbergh Center, having stopped by three times in recent months, most recently on the first official day of girls' basketball practices.

The reason the legendary UConn coach has beaten a path to Hopkins' door is a 6-foot tall point guard who's a bit on the slender side, walks with a bounce in her step, handles a basketball like a yo-yo, slides effortlessly through traffic and is magic from outside the three-point line.

It's all about sophomore guard Paige Bueckers, who is likely, when her high school career wraps up in 2020, to be one of the best girls' basketball players Minnesota has produced.

Quote:
"I'm always thinking about basketball," Bueckers said. "I'll scout other teams. When I'm at home, I'm watching it — high school, college, pros — whenever I can."

Just how good is Bueckers? She spent a good chunk of her summer playing with Team USA's Women's U16 team. She averaged 11 points, tied for second best on a team that won the FIBA Americas Championship in Argentina.

Quote:
It's a testament to Bueckers' basketball IQ that her biggest weakness is her willingness to leave what little ego she has on the bench.

"Some days, I have to get on her because she's not shooting enough," Cosgriff said. "She's one of the most unselfish players we've ever had come through here. When she's out there, everyone's running better and things are working faster and smoother on the court."

Auriemma has told Cosgriff "she's ahead of Diana Taurasi at the same point in time in her career." Yet, for the next few months, Bueckers' dazzling future will take a back seat to trying to help her home school get over its recent state championship game mountain.

Whether true or not, Geno is pretty clever hitting her up with a big compliment like that.

Quote:
"When I was with [Team] USA, I was gone for three-and-a-half weeks, so I missed home a little," she said.

You should probably stay home for college, Paige.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/04/18 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uber game changing player.

<iframe width="539" height="303" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c4hBOb3URBA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/04/18 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

Why do you believe that ?

PostPosted: 04/04/18 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
tfan wrote:

If someone is a #1 out of high school odds favor they are going to UConn. If they are #1 to a level where people on college boards have been talking them up while they are in high school, the odds go up higher, as Auriemma isn't going to take just any #1. And if they are #1 for skill and athleticism, as opposed to primarily athleticism, the odds go even higher that Auriemma will want to select them. But it's not a sure thing, as Candace Parker did not go to UConn. However, I don't know if a coach has emerged with the status of Pat Summit to get game-changing skilled #1's away from UConn. Or she could be a "wants to stay fairly close to home so parents can get to a lot of games" type and play within 1 or 2 states of Virginia.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/04/18 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="tfan"]
WNBA 09 wrote:
tfan wrote:

If someone is a #1 out of high school odds favor they are going to UConn. If they are #1 to a level where people on college boards have been talking them up while they are in high school, the odds go up higher, as Auriemma isn't going to take just any #1. And if they are #1 for skill and athleticism, as opposed to primarily athleticism, the odds go even higher that Auriemma will want to select them. But it's not a sure thing, as Candace Parker did not go to UConn. However, I don't know if a coach has emerged with the status as Pat Summit to game-changing #1's away from UConn.

By the time shes a senior The Irish could be coming off back to back titles in the hunt for a 3rd possibly if they can land brunelle although Louisville is looking like a strong candidate. What if UCONN misses out on Brunelle then would the tide change be official? Geno's not getting any younger. In order for Azzi to get taught 4 full years that would be from 2021-2024 Does geno coach that much longer?

PostPosted: 04/04/18 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Geno's not getting any younger. In order for Azzi to get taught 4 full years that would be from 2021-2024 Does geno coach that much longer?

Yeah, he might not coach that long. The other thing I forgot about is that as he ages, his appeal probably goes down. It's one thing to recruit players that you are the same age as, and look like their parents. But he is up in grandparent territory. And our personalities aren't always as charming as we age. And we aren't as sharp.

Auriemma is 64 (March birthday), so he would be 67 when Fudd entered as a freshman and turn 71 in her senior year. But Gary Blair is 72 and still coaching, so he could do it. I think he will as long as this issue of not winning a championship doesn't continue. At this point he still gets the #1's, with one having arrived in 2017, and one coming in 2018.

But Muffet McGraw is no spring chicken either, turning 62 this December. So she would be 65 when Fudd entered as a freshman and turn 69 in her senior year.

On the other hand, Jeff Walz is 46. Brenda Frese is 47. Scott Rueck is 48. Joanne McCallie is 52. Karon Aston is 53. Kelly Graves and Kim Mulkey are 55.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/18 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For that matter, Kenny Brooks is 49 and who knows where Va Tech will be by then either. Teri Moren is 48. It's not just your current top 5 she might be looking at.

PostPosted: 04/05/18 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How cool is it that Katie Smrycka-Duffy is her mom! Her and Shea Ralph used to go at each other when we played Georgetown in the real Big East days.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/05/18 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="WNBA 09"]
tfan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
tfan wrote:

If someone is a #1 out of high school odds favor they are going to UConn. If they are #1 to a level where people on college boards have been talking them up while they are in high school, the odds go up higher, as Auriemma isn't going to take just any #1. And if they are #1 for skill and athleticism, as opposed to primarily athleticism, the odds go even higher that Auriemma will want to select them. But it's not a sure thing, as Candace Parker did not go to UConn. However, I don't know if a coach has emerged with the status as Pat Summit to game-changing #1's away from UConn.

By the time shes a senior The Irish could be coming off back to back titles in the hunt for a 3rd possibly if they can land brunelle although Louisville is looking like a strong candidate. What if UCONN misses out on Brunelle then would the tide change be official? Geno's not getting any younger. In order for Azzi to get taught 4 full years that would be from 2021-2024 Does geno coach that much longer?

Brunelle removed Louisville from her list in January when she pared the list down to 9. Texas was also removed then. Present list:

Virginia
Duke
NC State
Notre Dame
Wake Forest
UConn
Stanford
Kentucky
South Carolina

http://www.newsplex.com/content/sports/Monroes-Burnelle-down-to-final-nine-schools-468687563.html

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/05/18 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Fighting Artichoke"]
WNBA 09 wrote:
tfan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Brunelle removed Louisville from her list in January when she pared the list down to 9. Texas was also removed then. Present list:

Virginia
Duke
NC State
Notre Dame
Wake Forest
UConn
Stanford
Kentucky
South Carolina

http://www.newsplex.com/content/sports/Monroes-Burnelle-down-to-final-nine-schools-468687563.html

Thannks for the heads up , i had not been following her that hard since the end of 2017.

PostPosted: 04/05/18 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
How cool is it that Katie Smrycka-Duffy is her mom! Her and Shea Ralph used to go at each other when we played Georgetown in the real Big East days.

So she could have been Azzi Smrcka-Duffy-Fudd? Or, if you prefer, Azzi Fudd-Smrcka-Duffy?

Tough to fit on a jersey ...

PostPosted: 04/06/18 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ucbart wrote:

So she could have been Azzi Smrcka-Duffy-Fudd? Or, if you prefer, Azzi Fudd-Smrcka-Duffy?

Tough to fit on a jersey ...

ASDF = the left hand on a typewriter.

Raise your hand if you know what a typewriter is. Raise two if you've used one. Raise three if you've used a mechanical one.
brunie1064

PostPosted: 04/09/18 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

3 hands raised from over here!

SDHoops

PostPosted: 11/12/20 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="WNBA 09"]
tfan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Cool Cool Cool Sorry W09 just had to come get some UConn-ND revenge for you guys getting Brunelle Razz we got Fudd years later!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: