RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Auriemma might have subtweeted Arike Ogunbowale in 2014.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 04/02/18 7:55 pm    ::: Auriemma might have subtweeted Arike Ogunbowale in 2014. Reply Reply with quote

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/geno-auriemma-might-have-subtweeted-arike-ogunbowale-in-2014-she-definitely-got-revenge/ar-AAvnSad?li=BBnbfcL

PostPosted: 04/02/18 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I recall the full story, Geno travelled to Chicago to see Arike, very much interested in recruiting her, and promptly turned around and came home after being told she wasn't interested. The Twitter exchange followed.

His "zero interest" followed her telling him "no thanks".

Genero36

PostPosted: 04/02/18 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
If I recall the full story, Geno travelled to Chicago to see Arike, very much interested in recruiting her, and promptly turned around and came home after being told she wasn't interested. The Twitter exchange followed.

His "zero interest" followed her telling him "no thanks".

Sounds like him which is why I don't care for him.

PostPosted: 04/02/18 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We saw him at that tournament in Chicago, as our girls watched the Elites when we were between games. Arike played for the same club as my daughter, although a year older team, so we were cheering for them. I remember watching how the coaches interacted with each other, and Geno rarely talking to any other coaches.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/03/18 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This may be IMO the dumbest post championship story.

Honestly, Geno has done enough questionable shit in the last year or so that we don't have to go back four years to find a story.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/03/18 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wrong. Geno was not recruiting her after the initial interest. The tweet was for his friend Doug Bruno who traveled overseas to see her and then she didn’t have the courtesy to tell him she wasn’t interested.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/18 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Wrong. Geno was not recruiting her after the initial interest. The tweet was for his friend Doug Bruno who traveled overseas to see her and then she didn’t have the courtesy to tell him she wasn’t interested.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Of course, I should have expected that. To any true blue UConn fanatic, It is immutable that Geno has never ever missed on a player he was recruiting.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

From the May 23, 2014, New Haven Register:

The commitments came in rapid succession as the future of the UConn women’s basketball program started to come into focus.

As Napheesa Collier, De’Janae Boykin and Katie Lou Samuelson commmitted to UConn after they took their official visits at the same time, Asia Durr and Arike Ogunbowale couldn’t help but chuckle.

On one hand there was a feeling of pure elation as their good friends became the latest high-profile recruits to join the Husky family but on the other side, the two Class of 2015 guards drawing the most recruiting interest from Hall of Fame coach Geno Auriemma and his staff looked at their own situations and could only wonder when they will be ready to make a college decision.

“After they (committed) I think ‘maybe I should hurry up’ but I am still going to take my time,” said Ogunbowale, a 5-foot-9 native of Milwaukee who has UConn on her current list of 11 schools. “Really soon after USA trials I am going to come out with a list of five and I will probably end up taking all of my visits and take my time because I have to be there for four years.”

On July 6, 2014, reporting on the U17 Championships, the Register reported:

UConn Class of 2015 targets Asia Durr and Arike Ogunbowale added 17 and 14 points.

A week later, Ogunbowale tweeted her list of five, and fourteen minutes later Geno followed up with his snide reply.

He was recruiting Ogunbowale and Durr intensley for months. He struck out on both playmaking guards. And it hurt. With either one he would probably have two more championships today. A playmaking scorer who can create shots is what his team has sorely lacked for two years.

But pretending he wasn't recruiting Ogunbowale is just ridiculous nonsense.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/03/18 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

That's a hell of a recruiting budget that DePaul has. Especially when he could have just driven a couple hours up the highway to see her. Rolling Eyes

"“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd." --Nikki Haley
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/18 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

That's a hell of a recruiting budget that DePaul has. Especially when he could have just driven a couple hours up the highway to see her. Rolling Eyes

The FIBA U17 championships were in the Czech Republic in July 2014. Lots of coaches were there to see lots of potential recruits, US and foreign.

After the U17 games and the infamous tweets, on July 13, UConn reporter Jim Fuller wrote:

UConn doesn't make the cut for U-17 standout

Arike Ogunbowale, one of the top guard prospects in the Class of 2015, announced on Twitter that her final five schools consisted of Louisville, Notre Dame, Ohio State, UCLA and home state Wisconsin.

Ogunbowale, the third-leading scorer on the U.S. team which recently won the FIBA U17 World Championship for Women, had UConn among the list of 11 schools she was considering before she announced that she narrowed it down to her final five.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/03/18 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

The FIBA U17 championships were in the Czech Republic in July 2014. Lots of coaches were there to see lots of potential recruits, US and foreign.

After the U17 games and the infamous tweets, on July 13, UConn reporter Jim Fuller wrote:

UConn doesn't make the cut for U-17 standout

Arike Ogunbowale, one of the top guard prospects in the Class of 2015, announced on Twitter that her final five schools consisted of Louisville, Notre Dame, Ohio State, UCLA and home state Wisconsin.

Ogunbowale, the third-leading scorer on the U.S. team which recently won the FIBA U17 World Championship for Women, had UConn among the list of 11 schools she was considering before she announced that she narrowed it down to her final five.

While that's correct, bballjunkie's post, intentionally or not, made it seem like Bruno had gone overseas specifically to see AO, and only AO, and that was why Geno was so upset for his friend and had to post that tweet.

There isn't a sarcasm emoticon so I settled for the eye roll.

"“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd." --Nikki Haley
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/04/18 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was my point. Bruno did make the trip, she knew he was making the trip for her and right after never told him she wasn’t going there or had the decency to ever call him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: