RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How much of the 2018 NC game did you watch?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much of the 2018 NC game did you watch?
All of it
66%
 66%  [ 50 ]
Some of it
26%
 26%  [ 20 ]
None of it
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 75

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/18 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
We don't have any idea if expert lawyering got Shepard the waiver. It also could have been a payoff - lawyers like her father are also quite rich.

Just when I thought the Shepard trolling couldn't get any dumber. . . .

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/03/18 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
I watched all 4 games but was very disappointed with the outcome of the Title game! Felt so bad for Miss State because they had that game up to the last few seconds. Heartbreaker.

There were four games?

I demand they change the name of the Final Four to the Final Three, because I have no idea how it can be called the Final Four when there are three games, which would end the confusion.

Did they used to have a consolation game between the Semifinal losing teams? I think the old Men's Tournament did (or maybe that was the NIT).

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/03/18 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
I watched the second semi final and the championship game live. I couldn’t watch the first one because of church, but I did watch a replay on my phone. Although I have always like to Notre Dame, I also like Mississippi State. I was cheering for all of Notre Dame except for Jessica Shepherd because she cheated the process to get eligible this year. There were many girls that were as deserving or WAY more deserving of a waiver that did not get one because they didn’t have a high-priced lawyer like she did....

Okay, here is what I could find publicly that could be related to this topic.

First, a list of various other players who got immediate eligibility:

Letitcia Romero (From KSU as Freshman in 2013-14 to FSU as sophomore in 2014-15)
Chantrice White (From Illinois as sophomore (2015-16) to FSU as junior (2016-17)
Natalie Romeo (From Nebraska (stick a pin in this part, I'll get back to it below) as a sophomore (2015-16) to Washington as a junior (2016-17)).

There might be others, but these are three that I've found listed. Notice one from Nebraska, like Shepard? Well...

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/yori-resigns-following-athletic-department-investigation/article_3266e814-fb41-11e5-a21f-affa8006eb5c.html

Yori resigns following athletic department investigation

A source with knowledge of the situation, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Journal Star more than 10 players from the 2015-16 team, along with some support staff members, approached Nebraska athletic department administrators in early February with concerns about Yori’s treatment of players.

As for the player mistreatment allegations, they included Yori bullying, intimidating and overtraining players while showing a general disregard for players’ well-being, sources said. As part of a review of the women’s basketball program, players met individually with Nebraska’s compliance department, which isn’t normal procedure, one source said.

Hmm! Yori, the Nebraska coach during Romeo's sophomore and Shepard's freshman seasons was accused of poor treatment of players. One player (Romeo) transferred right afterwards and was granted a waiver by the NCAA. Another (Shepard) tried to stick with the program with a new coach, then decided to transfer and was granted a waiver.

I recall reading somewhere that one of the reasons that the Shepard request was approved was because Nebraska went to bat for her over it.

Think the stuff in the above article might have had something to do with the NCAA's decision? Maybe?

Last edited by CBiebel on 04/03/18 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 04/03/18 5:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chatrice White was Illinois, not Indiana, and IIRC her transfer was in the wake of the Bollant scandal (because he got fired, again IIRC, not because of what he did).

(now with spelling variations)
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/03/18 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Leticia Romero was granted a waiver of the full year sit-out after she had sat out the fall semester at FSU, missing the first 13 games.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12418767/leticia-romero-finds-right-fit-florida-state-seminoles
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/03/18 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't believe anyone is small-minded enough to call Jessica Shepard a cheater or accuse her of bribery for applying for a waiver. And given that Muffet said it was a hardship waiver for personal reasons, none of us have enough knowledge to debate the application. If the NCAA didn't think it was a valid request, all they had to do was to deny it. If you've got issues, then direct them at the NCAA's waiver process and not this young woman.

The mods should delete the posts with the name-calling and libelous accusations.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/03/18 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
The mods should delete the posts with the name-calling and libelous accusations.

That would be draconian, and possibly Orwellian.

But it's also really tempting.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/03/18 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Leticia Romero was granted a waiver of the full year sit-out after she had sat out the fall semester at FSU, missing the first 13 games.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12418767/leticia-romero-finds-right-fit-florida-state-seminoles

And that one was because people were outraged that Kansas State was following NCAA rules in regards to her transfer.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/03/18 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Letitcia Romero (From KSU as Freshman in 2013-14 to FSU as sophomore in 2014-15)
Chantrice White (From Indiana as sophomore (2015-16) to FSU as junior (2016-17)
Natalie Romeo (From Nebraska (stick a pin in this part, I'll get back to it below) as a sophomore (2015-16) to Washington as a junior (2016-17)).

Hmm, what do these players have in common that doesn't apply to Azura Stevens

One of these things is not like the others
One of these things just doesn't belong
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

PostPosted: 04/03/18 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Hmm, what do these players have in common that doesn't apply to Azura Stevens

JPM is still the head coach at Duke, while the other players' first head coaches were fired or ended up getting fired? Smile

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/18 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three chose to apply to the NCAA for waivers, one didn't?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/03/18 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are days when I miss bballfan2005...

PostPosted: 04/03/18 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

{edited: I had a post here related to the digression}

You know what? Fuck it. Mod fiat. Either y'all stick closely to the original topic- which was about watching the championship game- or this topic is getting locked. I am tired of this nonsense.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/03/18 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="PUmatty"]
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Response edited to comply with the topic of the thread thereby hopefully preventing the thread from getting locked up.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/03/18 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Chatrice White was Illinois, not Indiana, and IIRC her transfer was in the wake of the Bollant scandal (because he got fired, again IIRC, not because of what he did).

I knew that. I don't know why I typed "Indiana." I corrected it now.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/03/18 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="NoDakSt"]
PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Response edited to comply with the topic of the thread thereby hopefully preventing the thread from getting locked up.

Sorry Queenie. I just thought to try to get some information out there that people either didn't realize or ignored.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/03/18 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There are days when I miss bballfan2005...

Those must be bad days ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: