RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

NC Game: MSSt vs. Notre Dame
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins the dance?
MSSt
47%
 47%  [ 19 ]
Notre Dame
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 40

Author Message
dtsnms



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 18815



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

let me say quite loudly

CONGRATULATIONS


ArtBest23, CBiebel and any other Notre Dame fans, it was a special season. Enjoy the rewards. Well deserved.


dtsnms



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 18815



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Achonwa and the other alums celebrating.



I love pictures like these. It shows how important the program and coaches are to those that went through it.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5102
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl



Joined: 12 Jul 2013
Posts: 1160



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a final game. Hate to see any team lose in these kinda of gms cause both team left all out on the court.Keep your heads up MS.
Refs really should have let the 1 sec ago on the clock go it looked wrong to have MS come back after that heartbreaking made shot.

Kara Lawson poker face is unmatched lol.

Arike wow what a shot. It was from the same spot has that last gm winner just on the opposite side of the court. That shot went in like a rainbrow Shocked.She reminds of Chelsea Gray.

Congrats ND
After all they dealt with this season they got the main prize at the end.I would love to see a 30 for 30 on this team.I was impressed with Shepard footwook and the fact she didnt play scare against TM.

Vivian had herself a good gm. I wouldn't be shock to see her go top 5 in the draft.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 11244
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart), whilst on my way to Oregon!


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Awesome game. Smile

Not necessarily the *prettiest* ever played, but LOADED with Grit, Gutz 'n Glory.

And. It wasn't UConn. Life is good. Cool



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners! Oregon: Go Ducks!
CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 663
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
linkster wrote:
Biggest possible choke for the officials. One swallows their whistle and another makes a call for the Irish.




Was that really a call "for the Irish?" If the other one also swallowed his whistle, then ND would have had an easy layup. That was a foul that MSU wanted.




I think the foul MS wanted was the foul on the Mabrey tackle...That decided the game


The whole game was reffed with the "let them play" philosophy. Stuff like that was let go (by both teams) throughout the game. It was a very roughly played game.




Last edited by CBiebel on 04/02/18 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 663
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threadkiller1201 wrote:
my 2 cents

good decision for TM to foul

bad non-call on Mabrey-- any other time of the game it would have been called

a foul's a foul
w


I'm not so sure. I spent a lot of the game saying "Wow, that's not a foul?" There was a lot of stuff that wasn't called, but at least it was evenly not called on both sides.

That being said, the stat of the game was FTs, and unlike what some fans complain about in other games, the number of attempts was even:

10-17 vs 15-17. That's 5 points right there. Make more of your free-throws and the non-call situation becomes moot.




Last edited by CBiebel on 04/02/18 2:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12914



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:


When you get a quality program that appreciates their staff, it gives those coaches the ability to wait for just the right job (in their opinion) to open. McGuff and Tsipis found positiions they liked, just like on Geno's staff Elliott and Cardoza did.

I'd like to see Ivey and in particular Owens get head coaching jobs they want, if they want, but they are certainly in a good spot, that's for sure.


And Coquese Washington.

Since Owens and Cunningham were both HCs, they probably understand pretty well whether they want to try that again. I would think Ivey would be most likely to move.


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14444
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:


When you get a quality program that appreciates their staff, it gives those coaches the ability to wait for just the right job (in their opinion) to open. McGuff and Tsipis found positiions they liked, just like on Geno's staff Elliott and Cardoza did.

I'd like to see Ivey and in particular Owens get head coaching jobs they want, if they want, but they are certainly in a good spot, that's for sure.


And Coquese Washington.

Since Owens and Cunningham were both HCs, they probably understand pretty well whether they want to try that again. I would think Ivey would be most likely to move.


I hope Niele stays put. When Purdue finally makes a move, she is at the top of my wish list.


CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 663
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Congratulations Notre Dame on your championship win. Vic Schaefer got a head coaching gig for helping Texas A & M win their national championship. I will like to see Carol Owens or Niele Ivey get offered a head coaching job. I know that both of these women have been on the Notre Dame bench long enough. They both have earned the right to head coach at some Division One university.


Owens and Cunningham were already head coaches. Ivey has been offered HC jobs. They are on this staff by choice.

If an Athletic Director offers enough money it is impossible to say no. But, if they would rather be a sidekick than the HNIC then go right ahead and do your thing. Laughing


It think part of the Ivey decision on moving on is both the level of the program and the fact that her son is in HS.

A recent article did mention that Owens and Ivey would like to be head coaches if the right position opened up.

I think Cunningham might figure that the assistant job at ND right now allows the best in work/family balance with her very young children.


CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 663
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:


When you get a quality program that appreciates their staff, it gives those coaches the ability to wait for just the right job (in their opinion) to open. McGuff and Tsipis found positiions they liked, just like on Geno's staff Elliott and Cardoza did.

I'd like to see Ivey and in particular Owens get head coaching jobs they want, if they want, but they are certainly in a good spot, that's for sure.


And Coquese Washington.

Since Owens and Cunningham were both HCs, they probably understand pretty well whether they want to try that again. I would think Ivey would be most likely to move.


I hope Niele stays put. When Purdue finally makes a move, she is at the top of my wish list.


Ivey at Purdue sounds really scary...

Although it would be another step in the McGraw coaching tree takeover of the Big 10... Wink


CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 663
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two down, one to go... Wink


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12914



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
let me say quite loudly

CONGRATULATIONS


ArtBest23, CBiebel and any other Notre Dame fans, it was a special season. Enjoy the rewards. Well deserved.


Thank you.

I have to admit, this was not a season that I considered this a likely outcome, after it was announced Turner was sitting out the year, and especially after Vaughn was also lost. It's been a remarkable ride.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7589
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
let me say quite loudly

CONGRATULATIONS


ArtBest23, CBiebel and any other Notre Dame fans, it was a special season. Enjoy the rewards. Well deserved.


Thank you.

I have to admit, this was not a season that I considered this a likely outcome, after it was announced Turner was sitting out the year, and especially after Vaughn was also lost. It's been a remarkable ride.


I see ND making a strong case for Back To Backs. Next year's team will be even better with the returns and great additions with the Recruiting class. 2 AA guards looked very very nice the other day. Irish should be pre-season #1.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 3122
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Vic Schaefer was offered a head coaching job at a Power Five University he jumped on that opportunity. When Dawn Staley was offered a head coaching job at a Power Five University she jumped at that opportunity. I just would like to see some of the African-American women assistant coaches that helped develop these top four schools basketball programs get offered a head coaching job at one of the top conferences in the country.



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2151



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the game and it was even worse - bad call at a time that gave the winning shot to ND. And yes there were lots of bad calls through out the FF, in fact the free throw count 23 for ND and 6 for Uconn, was the only difference in the game as stats go. And the final missed call on McCowan in the Louisville game. But here is the deal the ref game needs to be upgraded, this year has been the worst I can remember. And yes that is a shame because thats what I will remember from all the games. Plus did not really like Columbus, so dreary and wish I had gone to the guys as I usually alternate according to who is in.

The other thing that bothered me was the ND players who are overweight and not particularly pleasing to watch, has anyone questioned whether this could be a reason for so many ACLs? Plus The whole whining about having ACLs when they were gift wrapped a post by the NCAA, shouldn't whine when the corrupt NCAA comes baring gifts.

The NCAA needs to be overhauled mostly because of all the crap from the guys side but there is also stuff on the womens and coaches like Rueck, Trakh, Staley and even Uconn have a legit gripe when they don't pass equal transfer rules for players. That was the biggest complaint I got from a lot of coaches.

Whoever posted about Mabrey was spot on she is a punk and not who I would want my grandkids watching, whines at the refs constantly, cusses at the refs, dives on plays away from the ball, gets away with a lot of hands on as she doesn't move her feet, a shame as the other ND players are quite different.

Probably thought any of the 3 other teams deserved the title more and so I am expecting being cussed out by a certain poster who has gotten away with it in earlier posts and is quite the representative of his team just like one of their players.

Laughing Laughing


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3887
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
At the game and it was even worse - bad call at a time that gave the winning shot to ND. And yes there were lots of bad calls through out the FF, in fact the free throw count 23 for ND and 6 for Uconn, was the only difference in the game as stats go. And the final missed call on McCowan in the Louisville game. But here is the deal the ref game needs to be upgraded, this year has been the worst I can remember. And yes that is a shame because thats what I will remember from all the games. Plus did not really like Columbus, so dreary and wish I had gone to the guys as I usually alternate according to who is in.

The other thing that bothered me was the ND players who are overweight and not particularly pleasing to watch, has anyone questioned whether this could be a reason for so many ACLs? Plus The whole whining about having ACLs when they were gift wrapped a post by the NCAA, shouldn't whine when the corrupt NCAA comes baring gifts.

The NCAA needs to be overhauled mostly because of all the crap from the guys side but there is also stuff on the womens and coaches like Rueck, Trakh, Staley and even Uconn have a legit gripe when they don't pass equal transfer rules for players. That was the biggest complaint I got from a lot of coaches.

Whoever posted about Mabrey was spot on she is a punk and not who I would want my grandkids watching, whines at the refs constantly, cusses at the refs, dives on plays away from the ball, gets away with a lot of hands on as she doesn't move her feet, a shame as the other ND players are quite different.

Probably thought any of the 3 other teams deserved the title more and so I am expecting being cussed out by a certain poster who has gotten away with it in earlier posts and is quite the representative of his team just like one of their players.

Laughing Laughing


Wow, there are sore losers and then there are people who take it to another level.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
At the game and it was even worse - bad call at a time that gave the winning shot to ND. And yes there were lots of bad calls through out the FF, in fact the free throw count 23 for ND and 6 for Uconn, was the only difference in the game as stats go. And the final missed call on McCowan in the Louisville game. But here is the deal the ref game needs to be upgraded, this year has been the worst I can remember. And yes that is a shame because thats what I will remember from all the games. Plus did not really like Columbus, so dreary and wish I had gone to the guys as I usually alternate according to who is in.

The other thing that bothered me was the ND players who are overweight and not particularly pleasing to watch, has anyone questioned whether this could be a reason for so many ACLs? Plus The whole whining about having ACLs when they were gift wrapped a post by the NCAA, shouldn't whine when the corrupt NCAA comes baring gifts.

The NCAA needs to be overhauled mostly because of all the crap from the guys side but there is also stuff on the womens and coaches like Rueck, Trakh, Staley and even Uconn have a legit gripe when they don't pass equal transfer rules for players. That was the biggest complaint I got from a lot of coaches.

Whoever posted about Mabrey was spot on she is a punk and not who I would want my grandkids watching, whines at the refs constantly, cusses at the refs, dives on plays away from the ball, gets away with a lot of hands on as she doesn't move her feet, a shame as the other ND players are quite different.

Probably thought any of the 3 other teams deserved the title more and so I am expecting being cussed out by a certain poster who has gotten away with it in earlier posts and is quite the representative of his team just like one of their players.

Laughing Laughing


I, uh... wow.

I mean. I guess someone had to be the reverse of all the "OMG THIS WAS AMAZING" we had. But, wow.

It's not like you're wrong about the refs- I have no fucking idea how Joseph Vazsily was allowed anywhere near the most important game of the season. And as a satellite Michigan fan, I think I'm obligated to agree with trashing anything about Ohio State including their city. Wink

But, wow. Was there anything you did enjoy about your Final Four experience?



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
jimmyk



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 4004
Location: Bristol. TN


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still a bit annoyed about that ending. If not for me being an alumnus of Mississippi State, I would still have wanted them to win because I've hated Notre Dame for 27 years. And will continue to for 27 more. At least.

That said, State did stuff wrong, the refs called the game to make it close instead of calling the game down the middle. Notre Dame hit the shot they needed to hit after they didn't get fouled (State had one to give). All of that combined to erase the big lead and end in heartbreak.

Heck of a two-season run for State, though. I hope they can keep it up.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12914



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Probably thought any of the 3 other teams deserved the title more and so I am expecting being cussed out by a certain poster who has gotten away with it in earlier posts and is quite the representative of his team just like one of their players.


I assume you're referring to me. But I'm not going to say anything.

Your post says more about you than I ever have or ever could say. And it's not pretty.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12914



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
I'm still a bit annoyed about that ending. If not for me being an alumnus of Mississippi State, I would still have wanted them to win because I've hated Notre Dame for 27 years. And will continue to for 27 more. At least.

That said, State did stuff wrong, the refs called the game to make it close instead of calling the game down the middle. Notre Dame hit the shot they needed to hit after they didn't get fouled (State had one to give). All of that combined to erase the big lead and end in heartbreak.

Heck of a two-season run for State, though. I hope they can keep it up.


It was a great run by State. And as a fan of the team that finished 2nd four of the previous seven years, I know the frustration. But how many teams ever get to the finals? Not many. Miss St should be really proud of what it's done the past two years. We talk about how stratified and top heavy WCBB is. It's a REALLY big deal to break through, take down some of those perrenial top teams, and play in two straight finals. That's as many as Louisville or Duke, for example, have. The foundation for continued success is a good coach, and you seem to have that.

That said, nobody seems to want to talk about the third quarter. That's where a 15 pt lead evaporated in fewer than ten minutes. That's where the game was lost and won. Not in the last minute.


CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 663
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Probably thought any of the 3 other teams deserved the title more and so I am expecting being cussed out by a certain poster who has gotten away with it in earlier posts and is quite the representative of his team just like one of their players.


I assume you're referring to me. But I'm not going to say anything.

Your post says more about you than I ever have or ever could say. And it's not pretty.


Either you or me. I think the part where he mentions the ND players' physical appearance might make it me, since I've been critical of one UConn fan's comment about how ND players are "slow and chunky." His suggestions regarding that as the reason for the ACLs is particularly silly given that the players who were injured are the more athletic ones on the team.

The FT thing can easily be explained by style of play. ND drives more to the basket. That is why ND is ranked #8 in the NCAA in Free Throw attempts while UConn is, believe it or not, ranked #149!!! Don't take my word for it. Check it out:

https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_summary?academic_year=2018.0&division=1.0&game_high=N&org_id=164&ranking_period=137&sport_code=WBB&team_individual=T


CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 663
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
I'm still a bit annoyed about that ending. If not for me being an alumnus of Mississippi State, I would still have wanted them to win because I've hated Notre Dame for 27 years. And will continue to for 27 more. At least.

That said, State did stuff wrong, the refs called the game to make it close instead of calling the game down the middle. Notre Dame hit the shot they needed to hit after they didn't get fouled (State had one to give). All of that combined to erase the big lead and end in heartbreak.

Heck of a two-season run for State, though. I hope they can keep it up.


MSU did a great job. I'm not sure how much of a step back they're going to take with so many seniors graduating, but I'm willing to bet that they'll be back before long. Vic Schaefer is a great coach.


Iluvacc



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 2612



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to all the ND players and coaches. Despite her collegiate career ending due to injury, I'm really happy that Lili Thompson was able to get a ring. Something that wasn't possible at Stanford.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7589
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Congrats to all the ND players and coaches. Despite her collegiate career ending due to injury, I'm really happy that Lili Thompson was able to get a ring. Something that wasn't possible at Stanford.


Yess congrats LiLi!!



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin