RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NC Game: MSSt vs. Notre Dame
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins the dance?
MSSt
47%
 47%  [ 19 ]
Notre Dame
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 40

bballgrl

PostPosted: 04/01/18 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

coffy73 wrote:
Congrats ND! It was nice to see the refs not let McGowan run roughshod over everybody and not be called for fouls, like in the game against Louisville. Great game, awesome coach McGraw!

It was a shame for them not to call the foul on Mabrey because they knew Morgan would make the free throws. Then again I blame Vic as well because he did not but Morgan in soon enough. I honestly believe they would have won had she been in.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 04/01/18 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
It's difficult to blame the outcome on a single bad call by the officials when they made soooo many bad calls all weekend which affected all four teams in all three games.

But Arike! OMG! Ice water in her veins. And I hadn't appreciated until now that Jessica Shepard has more facets to her game than a big just taking up space like TMac. Great comeback by ND.

Yeah, Jessica got her waiver right away but Dawn never got hers for Cooper?

Genero36

PostPosted: 04/01/18 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last edited by Genero36 on 04/01/18 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
zune69

PostPosted: 04/01/18 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I absolutely hate ESPN...Show the game on one channel,then show the post-game on another.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/01/18 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Had to watch on tape delay- what a game to finish off the FF and what a finish to the game!

Congrats ND on NC #2.

Here's hoping the next one, if it ever comes, takes another 17 years.

Cool

PostPosted: 04/01/18 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
How in the hell are you 6'8 and only shoot 7-19 from the field?

misses too many "bunnies" for my taste, do-not-like

This is why I'm not high on her. They would have won if not for that last missed bunny and her fouling out. I don't see her as a lottery pick in 2019.

yup, and she needs to really work on her footwork as well. she's a lil' stiff to the basket

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/01/18 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Difference in the game is that ND made 15 of 17 free throws and MSST only made 10 of 17.

Both made 22 field goals.

MSST made 4 threes and ND made 2.

MSST only out rebounded ND by 3. That was huge for ND.

MSST did have 4 more total fouls than ND. They needed to have 5.

No idea why Vic didn't foul at the end. That's going to give him sleepless nights.

I can't say that it was a fun game to watch. Both teams had their high moments and both had some they would like to forget.

Overall, a GREAT FF. I don't see how the men can top it.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/01/18 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
I absolutely hate ESPN...Show the game on one channel,then show the post-game on another.

What post game? I saw the trophy presentation on the same channel. Is that because I'm in the SB market?

I'm just glad that they are now doing the presentation immediately after the game.

I remember in 2001 we had to go to a hotel ballroom a few blocks away. That was pretty stupid.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
tfan

PostPosted: 04/01/18 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
I'm not familiar with Miss. St, but can anyone tell me what part of McGowan's game would translate to the next level because I only see height and athleticism? Where is her footwork? I don't see any.

Sylvia Fowles took a long time to develop basketball skills. Well into her pro career she was screaming for the ball and then didn't do much with it when she got it. I think McCowan has that potential as well. She is less athletic than Fowles, but her bigger size could make up for that.

Last edited by tfan on 04/01/18 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/01/18 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
How in the hell are you 6'8 and only shoot 7-19 from the field?

misses too many "bunnies" for my taste, do-not-like

This is why I'm not high on her. They would have won if not for that last missed bunny and her fouling out. I don't see her as a lottery pick in 2019.

yup, and she needs to really work on her footwork as well. she's a lil' stiff to the basket

she needs to work on flinging her body into the defender when she shoots. She always gets the ball inside the restricted area so she just needs to make contact and they will whistle a foul on the defender. She did it once in this game and got the call. It's ugly to watch but effective. And yeah, she really needs to have somebody help her work on her footwork. She's so used to just being way taller than everybody else that she thinks all she needs to do is face the basket and fling it up. It'll work for another year in college but hopefully she works on some other moves during that year or she'll be in for a big surprise when she gets to the W.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/01/18 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Press conference shortly:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bQBmxmjaj98" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
tfan

PostPosted: 04/01/18 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see Novosel, Achonwa and Allen among the ex-players gathering for the game.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/01/18 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
There's always 'what ifs'. For instance, What if McGowan made the wide open layup before that fouling shit?

The game should be decided by the 10 players. This one came down to a double standard from the refs at a critical moment. If a player chokes then congratulations to the winners, but when official subjectivity decides a game then the outcome loses all value. I've seen games going back 40 years when in the last minute players tackled each other without a whistle but it was consistent for both teams. Tonight there were two different standards in the last minute.

Tonight's game was filled with mistakes and very little outstanding play. It's a shame that Ogumbowale's shot, one of the few, will always be diminished because every time an Irish fan mentions it the response will be that she only got that attempt because some incompetent ref gave her a chance her team didn't earn but rather, had handed to them.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/01/18 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the final seconds of a close game it seems like the refs become more reluctant to blow the whistle.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/01/18 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I see Novosel, Achonwa and Allen among the ex-players gathering for the game.

In no order and I reserve the right to be wrong. Especially on the spelling of some of the names. Smile

Looks like Melissa Lechlitner, Becca Bruszewski, Brittney Mallory, Hannah Huffman, Ariel Braker, Madison Cable, Whitney Holloway, Michaela Mabrey.

There's a couple more that I recognize and am struggling with the name. (I don't like getting old!)

ArtBest23

linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:
There's always 'what ifs'. For instance, What if McGowan made the wide open layup before that fouling shit?

The game should be decided by the 10 players. This one came down to a double standard from the refs at a critical moment. If a player chokes then congratulations to the winners, but when official subjectivity decides a game then the outcome loses all value. I've seen games going back 40 years when in the last minute players tackled each other without a whistle but it was consistent for both teams. Tonight there were two different standards in the last minute.

Tonight's game was filled with mistakes and very little outstanding play. It's a shame that Ogumbowale's shot, one of the few, will always be diminished because every time an Irish fan mentions it the response will be that she only got that attempt because some incompetent ref gave her a chance her team didn't earn but rather, had handed to them.

Why don't you just crawl back in your hole and shut the fuck up you whiny little troll.

Your team lost. Get used to it. They'll be lucky to make the final four next year.

Admiral_Needa

Go Arike... Cool

She was the reason why I was pulling for ND.

Can't wait to see how she develops next year. The Closer Twisted Evil

zune69

PostPosted: 04/01/18 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
zune69 wrote:

What post game? I saw the trophy presentation on the same channel. Is that because I'm in the SB market?

For me,the pre game/game aired on ESPN.After the trophy presentation,they went directly to the baseball game.ESPN 2 aired an extended half hour post game,and showed ND cutting down the nets....I missed the first 20 minutes.

Last edited by zune69 on 04/01/18 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 04/01/18 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Notre Dame.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/01/18 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Can anyone actually see contact between Mabrey and William? I didn't think either angle actually showed contact. One thing that I had a problem with on the sideline view replay was there was a flash from somewhere that is either distracting me every time I watch it or I'm just not able to see the contact. I can guess that there was contact, but I can't for sure say that I can see it.

Even if hey had also let TM's contact go, ND had a lay-up and MSST would have only had about a second on the clock. That's enough time, but they don't have AO!!!

coffy73

PostPosted: 04/01/18 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:

In what game has there ever been no complaining about the refs? It's a part of all games, across all sports and genders! I was angry at the Louisville/MissSt game because the refs let McGowan get away with everything, but hey, that's how it is. Tonight's game was great, I liked how the refs didn't let McGowan run wild without consequences. ND fought back because of their heart, coach, and players; they earned this win and from what I see and hear, more people see it that way rather than "Oh the evil refs gave the game to ND!" nonsense. Sure, you don't like that the other team lost, but don't try and rewrite what really happened, ha!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/01/18 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
zune69 wrote:

For me,the pre game/game aired on ESPN.After the trophy presentation,they went directly to the baseball game.ESPN 2 aired an extended half hour post game,and showed ND cutting down the nets on....I missed the first 20 minutes.

Damn! I missed all of it. Didn't know it was on. Would have been nice if AA had mentioned that when he closed his broadcast. Mad

ciel

PostPosted: 04/01/18 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
zune69 wrote:

What post game? I saw the tr, ophy presentation on the same channel. Is that because I'm in the SB market?

For me,the pre game/game aired on ESPN.After the trophy presentation,they went directly to the baseball game.ESPN 2 aired an extended half hour post game,and showed ND cutting down the nets on....I missed the first 20 minutes.

Damn! I missed all of it. Didn't know it was on. Would have been nice if AA had mentioned that when he closed his broadcast. Mad

If you have access to ESPN3, you can see it at

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3334757

(Edited to add: They re-posted the video, fixing the sound. The last play, running off the remaining time, is at about the 5 minute mark.)

Originally wrote:

The relevant part starts at about the 13 minute mark, continues for about 20 minutes, and ends during the net cutting. There appears to be no sound before the 13 minute mark.

--
ciel

Last edited by ciel on 04/01/18 9:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
zune69

PostPosted: 04/01/18 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ciel wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
zune69 wrote:

What post game? I saw the tr, ophy presentation on the same channel. Is that because I'm in the SB market?

If you have access to ESPN3, you can see it at

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3334757

The relevant part starts at about the 13 minute mark, continues for about 20 minutes, and ends during the net cutting. There appears to be no sound before the 13 minute mark.

--
ciel

Thank You.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/01/18 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations Notre Dame on your championship win. Vic Schaefer got a head coaching gig for helping Texas A & M win their national championship. I will like to see Carol Owens or Niele Ivey get offered a head coaching job. I know that both of these women have been on the Notre Dame bench long enough. They both have earned the right to head coach at some Division One university.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: