RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

The Gabby Delusion and Nurse Dilution
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2153



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/22/18 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like this discussion and makes one think about verbiage. I have never thought there was much difference, they just bring different attributes. Nurse is getting some wide open 3s and she is knocking them down which is what will be expected of her in the W. Williams creates havoc and a primary distributor at the high post, which is also an asset. What I noticed from this is Walker cannot be 6' 1" if Gordon is 6' Laughing


Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 742
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/28/18 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I leave it to the reader to determine whether these comparisons, at least as to three-point shooting, are illusion, delusion, allusion, confusion, effusion or collusion.



I prefer to consider them extrusion: it came out of their rears......


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5102
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/18 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kia Nurse was named AAC Defensive Player of the Year, taking away the award that Gabby Williams won last year. Nurse usually gets the call to play silent lockdown MTM defense on the opponent's best guard or wing, whereas Williams gets more Lobogasmic defensive hype because her role is to cheat into the passing lanes to make steals that lead to re-re-played fast breaks.

At the end of the regular season Nurse has: scored 14.5 ppg to William's 10.7; drawn more fouls and shot FT's at 82% to Williams's 71%; hit 72 3pt shots to Williams' 0, and is currently the fourth best 3FG% shooter in D1; has only 36 TO's vs. Williams' team leading 75; has almost the same number of blocks (12 vs. 15); and leads UConn in minutes per game, whereas Williams is fifth in mpg.

Williams has more rebounds, assists and steals. Williams has a FG% of .586 to Nurse's .544, but of course about 85% of Williams' shots are layups while Nurse shoots a huge number of outside shots.
bballjunkie



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 631



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/18 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nurse is having a really good year.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 3654



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/18 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd guess that Nurse's shut down of Laksa had something to do with her DPOY award.

I'd also award the Rebkel Over-Achiever Prize to Nurse considering the general panning of her prospects by many of the posters here 4 1/2 years ago. If I remember correctly she was projected to be a bench player for four years, spending most of her time closer to the far end of the bench than the near side.


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 10991
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus. If u were in my safe space, you'd have to be f'd up


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/18 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I'd guess that Nurse's shut down of Laksa had something to do with her DPOY award.

I'd also award the Rebkel Over-Achiever Prize to Nurse considering the general panning of her prospects by many of the posters here 4 1/2 years ago. If I remember correctly she was projected to be a bench player for four years, spending most of her time closer to the far end of the bench than the near side.


Laughing

Hyperbole yet again from one who derides it.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 3654



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/18 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
linkster wrote:
I'd guess that Nurse's shut down of Laksa had something to do with her DPOY award.

I'd also award the Rebkel Over-Achiever Prize to Nurse considering the general panning of her prospects by many of the posters here 4 1/2 years ago. If I remember correctly she was projected to be a bench player for four years, spending most of her time closer to the far end of the bench than the near side.


Laughing

Hyperbole yet again from one who derides it.


Very Happy That's it. When you can't dispute the facts then attack the messenger.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5102
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wooden you know it, delusion trumps dilution: Williams but not Nurse makes the cut to 15.
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 10991
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus. If u were in my safe space, you'd have to be f'd up


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
linkster wrote:
I'd guess that Nurse's shut down of Laksa had something to do with her DPOY award.

I'd also award the Rebkel Over-Achiever Prize to Nurse considering the general panning of her prospects by many of the posters here 4 1/2 years ago. If I remember correctly she was projected to be a bench player for four years, spending most of her time closer to the far end of the bench than the near side.


Laughing

Hyperbole yet again from one who derides it.


Very Happy That's it. When you can't dispute the facts then attack the messenger.


That's it. When you can't prove a claim as fact, attack the messenger. Laughing



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 3654



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
linkster wrote:
I'd guess that Nurse's shut down of Laksa had something to do with her DPOY award.

I'd also award the Rebkel Over-Achiever Prize to Nurse considering the general panning of her prospects by many of the posters here 4 1/2 years ago. If I remember correctly she was projected to be a bench player for four years, spending most of her time closer to the far end of the bench than the near side.


Laughing

Hyperbole yet again from one who derides it.


Very Happy That's it. When you can't dispute the facts then attack the messenger.


That's it. When you can't prove a claim as fact, attack the messenger. Laughing



http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=80772&highlight=kia+nurse

There's a link. The thing that is noticable is that more than one poster was ready to pass judgement on Nurse based on very meager information and further that a few totally dismissed her starting on the CNT as a high school junior as evidence of basketball maturity.

Here are a few of the comments without attribution.



Quote:
That's an excellent stat page, which I think can shed lots of light on Nurse's potential. It lists 49 games that Nurse has played on the Ontario Provincial Team and the Canadian National team. That's a lot more than one college season of data. Here are Nurse's stats over those 49 games:
12.7 PPG
41.5 FG% (207-499)
32.2 3FG% (37-115). An average of O.76 3FG made per game.
3.3 RPG
1.4 APG
2.8 TOPG
O.51 A/TO
Mostly from these stats, plus a few video games I've seen, I'd conclude that Nurse:
- Was a decent scorer for a point guard in those 49 games, though there's no way of ascertaining the level of competition. Some international teams are really good, others really terrible.
- Had an okay FG% for a guard.
- Had a below average 3FG% even by high school standards.
- Had an extremely poor record for assists, turnovers and A/TO.
From these stats and some optics, I'd say she has a very, very long row to hoe to make it as either a point guard or shooting guard at UConn. Unless she improves dramatically in those areas, I would project her as a bench player below the top 8 of the rotation. Chong, Edwards and Ekmark are all likely better shooters, and Chong is certainly a far superior passer. If Durr commits to UConn the following year, she would immediately jump way ahead of Nurse in the rotation.


For the record Nurse must have learned very very quickly because she took over a starting position in her 3rd game and started her entire career. I'd add that those who say Williams can't play the 2 in the W because she can't shoot 3's should look at Nurse.

Quote:
Based on the limited footage I've seen of her and that of HS Chong, I'd say Chong looked ~5x better.



Quote:
This is obviously just a quick, superficial observation, but she reminds me somewhat of Ashley Valley.


Quote:
Nothing in Nurse's seven game performance at the Worlds change my preliminary conclusions above. I don't see her as a strong candidate as either a three-point SG shooter or an effective PG passer at UConn, based now on 56 games of statistics and several games observed.


Quote:
In the Worlds, Nurse averaged 1.1 assists per game, sixth best on the Canadian team. She shot 38.3% from the floor and 23.1% (3-13) on three-point shots.
She is a hustler and hard-nosed defender with strong general athletic skills, who could be a very good utility player on UConn's elite team.


Quote:
So far, to me, she's like Ashley Valley, but in a bigger, stronger body. Not fast. Not a great shooter. Does a lot of stuff decently; nothing great.


For the record, in her career, Valley was 25-70 from outside the arc. This year alone Nurse has made 72 three's.

Quote:
Hopefully will become an excellent defender and steady PG, at the very least.


Now if we all only posted opinions when we were 100% convinced this would be a much smaller and more boring board. Speculation is the spice of conversation. I'm not saying some of the comments were without any justification but I'd say that my awarding Nurse the Over-achiever Award based on the expectations for her coming into college is more than justified.
The list of 4 year starters for UConn isn't very long.


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 10991
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus. If u were in my safe space, you'd have to be f'd up


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

still waiting for the "many".

Boners can get their panties in a wad over these things-speculation in the summer prior to the player's arrival on campus later labeled as proof people dissed our girls! Oh, the horror.

Ashley Valley, as I observed, was a spaz when it came to layups, and Nurse isn't much better. She still reminds me of AV in that regard. Anyone honest should admit it. But, you've conflated that and 3-pt shooting. Well done. You could be Trump's press agent. Wink

You gonna post my comment made before game #1 of her UConn career in which I suggest she should start? And when you do, perhaps you'll post your prediction that she'll be an (almost) 4-yr starter and shoot 45% from 3! Laughing



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 3654



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
still waiting for the "many".

Boners can get their panties in a wad over these things-speculation in the summer prior to the player's arrival on campus later labeled as proof people dissed our girls! Oh, the horror.

Ashley Valley, as I observed, was a spaz when it came to layups, and Nurse isn't much better. She still reminds me of AV in that regard. Anyone honest should admit it. But, you've conflated that and 3-pt shooting. Well done. You could be Trump's press agent. Wink

You gonna post my comment made before game #1 of her UConn career in which I suggest she should start? And when you do, perhaps you'll post your prediction that she'll be an (almost) 4-yr starter and shoot 45% from 3! Laughing


Post your own evidence. I'm not your servant.

For someone who ran away from another board rather than admit they made a provocative comment about a players's parents and coaches without a shred of factual evidence to support it you certainly have a lot of nerve passing judgement on anyone.

I think I supported my comment. I don't give a rat's ass whether you agree.


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 10991
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus. If u were in my safe space, you'd have to be f'd up


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
still waiting for the "many".

Boners can get their panties in a wad over these things-speculation in the summer prior to the player's arrival on campus later labeled as proof people dissed our girls! Oh, the horror.

Ashley Valley, as I observed, was a spaz when it came to layups, and Nurse isn't much better. She still reminds me of AV in that regard. Anyone honest should admit it. But, you've conflated that and 3-pt shooting. Well done. You could be Trump's press agent. Wink

You gonna post my comment made before game #1 of her UConn career in which I suggest she should start? And when you do, perhaps you'll post your prediction that she'll be an (almost) 4-yr starter and shoot 45% from 3! Laughing


Post your own evidence. I'm not your servant.

For someone who ran away from another board rather than admit they made a provocative comment about a players's parents and coaches without a shred of factual evidence to support it you certainly have a lot of nerve passing judgement on anyone.

I think I supported my comment. I don't give a rat's ass whether you agree.




Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

And he returns w/ more hyperbole.

Apparently wadding panties can cut off oxygen supply.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 3654



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you have something to say other than tossing out a bunch of ad hominem comments?


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 10991
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus. If u were in my safe space, you'd have to be f'd up


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Do you have something to say other than tossing out a bunch of ad hominem comments?


My goodness, more hyperbole. Can you make a comment w/o engaging in it?



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
uconnfan1



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/05/18 6:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let me start a conspiracy.

IMO Geno and Coaches staff Nominated Kia as UConn's nominee for Defensive Player of the Year in an effort to get her on the WBCA All American Team.

Kia is now eligible to win the National Defensive Player of the Year. An award that Gabby won last year.

I also speculate the three players UConn will nominate for the WBCA All American team will be KLS, Gabby and Kia. Kia replaces Napheesa this year.

IMO it will be tough for Kia to make the WBCA All American Team as a guard as there are other guards that most likely will be nominated with better stats then Kia. However, she has a chance being on an undefeated UConn team.


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6866



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/05/18 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XLFPjIhBLZs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4P7z8ojPbEA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6866



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/05/18 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*duplicate*


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5102
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/05/18 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think a coach can vote for his own players for All-Conference awards.
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 3123
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/18 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A WNBA head coach should rely on their own experience, needs, and judgement to determine what players they want in the draft. There is more to basketball than just making three point baskets. Wink



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6866



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8hf1_qJRfmQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin