RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2 South Carolina vs 1 Connecticut 3/26 7 PM ET
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins
South Carolina
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Connecticut
86%
 86%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 23

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/26/18 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
In an interview just yesterday, Dawn seemed to brag about how she didn't have to climb the usual college coaching ladder. Maybe she should have?

Staley said "fortunately for me, I didn't go through the ranks of being a grad assistant and assistant coach up through there. I was given an opportunity because somebody saw something in me that I didn't see in myself."
http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-womens-basketball/article206778299.html

What did they see ? Shocked

PostPosted: 03/26/18 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's always been my experience that the losing coach should concede defeat and take out their starters first.

But don't worry, the refs are doing a good job of reducing the deficit by closing their eyes to S car's hacking and pushing off.

rykhala

PostPosted: 03/26/18 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Except for the pair of one year mercenaries last year (who arrived already developed for her by other coaches), when has Dawn EVER had any guards? SCar's total lack of competent guard play has been a perrenial issue.

For someone who was a terrific point guard, she sure can't develop or coach point guards.

In all fairness, she should at least get a little bit of credit for Tiffany Mitchell.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 03/26/18 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So many folks craping on Dawn. She had every right to complain about their placement. I as a fan knew they would not beat UCon and so did she. The committee screwed them and did it on purpose for the 3rd time in a row. They wouldn't have won anyway even with their fans there but they might have done a little better. Turnovers did them in as well as poor shooting and I am a Gamecocks fan who is only still watching this game because it is the last college game A'ja will play. She DID win a Championship, which many others have never done. I know she is disappointed but she has done everything for SC. Bless you A'ja and the best of luck in the W. Well done my friend.

Now my hope is for Mississippi State to get to the Final 4.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/26/18 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
So many folks craping on Dawn. She had every right to complain about their placement. I as a fan knew they would not beat UCon and so did she. The committee screwed them and did it on purpose for the 3rd time in a row. They wouldn't have won anyway even with their fans there but they might have done a little better. Turnovers did them in as well as poor shooting and I am a Gamecocks fan who is only still watching this game because it is the last college game A'ja will play. She DID win a Championship, which many others have never done. I know she is disappointed but she has done everything for SC. Bless you A'ja and the best of luck in the W. Well done my friend.

Agreed. Getting sent to to the Northeast to play UConn in front of a UConn crowd has proven to be a losing cause. The committee sent Texas and UCLA there twice recently and now sent the defending champs there. Coincidentally they have kept Tenn out of that region for 9 years now. So don't try and say they don't play favorites.

Last edited by linkster on 03/26/18 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/26/18 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:

They are / were the defending champs , they should not be afraid to play anyone and thats exactly what it seemed like after the brackets came out. Sounds like Game cock fans wanted the committee to give them the easy draw they got last year to get to a FF again , Committee says no no you need to earn it this season & their true talent got exposed. Congrats to Aja she will have a great WNBA career .

PostPosted: 03/26/18 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A shout out to Gabby Williams, who's game tonight was lost in the shine of Dangerfield's fire. Gabby scored a smooth 23 on 11-18 along with 5 boards, 5 assists, 2 steals and a block.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/26/18 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
They are / were the defending champs , they should not be afraid to play anyone and thats exactly what it seemed like after the brackets came out. Sounds like Game cock fans wanted the committee to give them the easy draw they got last year to get to a FF again , Committee says no no you need to earn it this season & their true talent got exposed. Congrats to Aja she will have a great WNBA career .

South Carolina had to be sent to Albany in order to have Oregon in Spokane without messing up the bracket by, say, having the top #2 seed (Baylor) in the same region as the #2 overall seed (Miss St).

Edit: Does anybody think South Carolina would've beaten Lousiville anyways?

bballgrl

PostPosted: 03/26/18 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

Who said they were afraid to play anyone. That was not the complaint at all, the complaint was sending them so far from home for the 3rd time. Wonder how UCon fans would have liked to be sent far away, which by the way they have not been. So don't try to put it out there that they were afraid, that was never said.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/26/18 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Who said they were afraid to play anyone. That was not the complaint at all, the complaint was sending them so far from home for the 3rd time. Wonder how UCon fans would have liked to be sent far away, which by the way they have not been. So don't try to put it out there that they were afraid, that was never said.

Maybe somebody near South Carolina should have put in a bid to host a region so South Carolina could play near home for a change, but weren't North Carolina & South Carolina banned from hosting regionals when they set the locations for regions through this year or am I off?

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 03/26/18 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
All inter-team history, all stats and the eye test combine to suggest that this should be a convincing victory for UConn -- notwithstanding the alleged fears of ucbart, cth, oldfandepot and Lou Holtz.

As Crystal goes so goes UCONN. She has been playing poorly recently and the offense Saturday was lackluster to say the least. There was plenty of evidence to suggest should Crystal not perform well, it would be a close game. She came out, lit up the house and the rest is history. Going forward, I shall stand by that premise that UCONN takes its energy from Crystal and the results will be favorable. If not, the outcome will always be in doubt.

PostPosted: 03/26/18 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
All inter-team history, all stats and the eye test combine to suggest that this should be a convincing victory for UConn -- notwithstanding the alleged fears of ucbart, cth, oldfandepot and Lou Holtz.

As Crystal goes so goes UCONN. She has been playing poorly recently and the offense Saturday was lackluster to say the least. There was plenty of evidence to suggest should Crystal not perform well, it would be a close game. She came out, lit up the house and the rest is history. Going forward, I shall stand by that premise that UCONN takes its energy from Crystal and the results will be favorable. If not, the outcome will always be in doubt.

I agree somewhat but only because other teams see her as the weakest link. They have to help out on Collier/Williams/Stevens inside, won't leave Samuelson for a second and can't give Nurse open looks from 3 . So Dangerfield gets less attention and as we saw tonight, some wide open shots.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 03/26/18 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I agree somewhat but only because other teams see her as the weakest link. They have to help out on Collier/Williams/Stevens inside, won't leave Samuelson for a second and can't give Nurse open looks from 3 . So Dangerfield gets less attention and as we saw tonight, some wide open shots.
Not really talking about her offensive output as the fifth option but as the floor leader getting all the other pieces to play seamlessly together. She makes everyone better.

PostPosted: 03/26/18 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OAN SHOUTOUT TO ONO with the wicked dunk tonight in the McDonalds AA event!

PostPosted: 03/26/18 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:

You'll have to explain the "3rd time in a row". They got a total gift last year. One of the easiest routes to the title in recorded history.

She's not entitled to any special treatment just because she's got the loudest mouth. No one likes being put in UConn's bracket. But 15 teams are every year. They wouldn't have beaten any of the other #1s anyhow. Maybe they wouldn't have been as badly embarrassed, but their tournament was ending this weekend regardless of their region.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/26/18 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

You'll have to explain the "3rd time in a row". They got a total gift last year. One of the easiest routes to the title in recorded history.

She's not entitled to any special treatment just because she's got the loudest mouth. No one likes being put in UConn's bracket. But 15 teams are every year. They wouldn't have beaten any of the other #1s anyhow. Maybe they wouldn't have been as badly embarrassed, but their tournament was ending this weekend regardless of their region.

+1

PostPosted: 03/27/18 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

SC would've had a better shot at beating a team that they split with like Miss. St than any of the other 3 #1s. Louisville and SC would've been an interesting matchup especially if Wilson could've withstood the physical play of Louisville's post players.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/27/18 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ok, how many points do they need to be ahead to see player #8 for UConn?

>50

Maybe when Dawn puts in #8.

This isn't a teaching or training game. It's a kill dead dead dead game.

It didn't use to be like that. It was just a "pull starters when game is a blowout and not enough time for a miracle comeback" game. Do you enjoy it better as a "kill dead dead dead" game?

Last edited by tfan on 03/27/18 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/27/18 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did that look as good on TV as it did in person?

Looks like the GCocks were just what the doctor ordered.

ConwayGamecock likely gone until November.

PostPosted: 03/28/18 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did any of the media folk ask Dawn about her "game plan" of wasting half the shot clock in the first quarter? Question

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/28/18 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Did any of the media folk ask Dawn about her "game plan" of wasting half the shot clock in the first quarter? Question

Anyone have the post game comments from dawn. Thats must see TV Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: